• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Another Supreme Court Vacancy Likely This Summer

Spike

Reaction score
Sen. Chuck Grassley is predicting that President Trump will get to nominate a second justice to the Supreme Court as early as this summer.

The Iowa Republican, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said there is a "rumored" upcoming retirement but declined to say which justice he expects to step down.

"I would expect a resignation this summer," Grassley said during a Q&A with the Muscatine Journal in Iowa.

Grassley added that the president's next Supreme Court nominee would likely come off the list of roughly two dozen names Trump announced before taking over the White House.

Trump could be able to make multiple nominations, allowing him to shape the direction of the court for decades. As chairman of the Judiciary Committee, Grassley would be responsible for shepherding the nomination through the Senate.

Two justices, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Anthony Kennedy, are in their 80s, and Justice Stephen Breyer is 78.

The administration, according to The New York Times, is already looking at potential successors if Kennedy, the court's perennial swing vote, retires.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-acti...ther-supreme-court-vacancy-likely-this-summer

--------------

just so it isn't Thomas

roeder-scotus-nominee-gorsuch.png

madinsomniac

Reaction score
If trump were to replace two of those three the court is lost to the dems for twenty years... RBG made a huge mistake trying to wait to be replaced by hillary... honestly as a guy who likes the 5-4 decisions with a swing vote... if garland replaced kennedy i wouldnt mind... not that it would happen, but it would be ok for a moderate voice to be on the bench with all the polarized people about to be there

Steelin

Contributor
Reaction score
We have Sotomayor and Kagan and you're saying we're "about" to be polarized? Okay. I've read some very, very loony lefty, polarizing speech from both of those supposed fair minded jurists.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Libs are already pissed that Ruth Buzzi Ginsberg didn't retire while Bammy was President and could replace her with another Lib.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
The Supreme Court is the most overrated body of government. I expect it to have zero impact on the rest of my life.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
The Supreme Court is the most overrated body of government. I expect it to have zero impact on the rest of my life.

Careful 21, they'll pull your Lib card for thinking that way.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
We have Sotomayor and Kagan and you're saying we're "about" to be polarized? Okay. I've read some very, very loony lefty, polarizing speech from both of those supposed fair minded jurists.

Honestly while its hard to totally get a grasp on where those two will end up , i think you saw both pandering to the last admin and trying to jockey for the liberal block leadership role when rbg leaves. Niether were that far left at previous roles. I think long term both will end up more moderate than they have shown previously... still i prefer the court to be 3 conservatives 3 liberals and 3 moderates who don't give a **** about the parties

Steelin

Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly while its hard to totally get a grasp on where those two will end up , i think you saw both pandering to the last admin and trying to jockey for the liberal block leadership role when rbg leaves. Niether were that far left at previous roles. I think long term both will end up more moderate than they have shown previously... still i prefer the court to be 3 conservatives 3 liberals and 3 moderates who don't give a **** about the parties

I think Sotomayor made a statement previously that went something like, and I paraphrase, 'there are cases where a Latina jurist would be able to make the superior decision'. There were other race bating, gender hawking statements too I seem to recall. Sorry, no dice.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score

We got ****** with obamacare because of them. We have millions of dead babies because of them. They have a HUGE impact.

Steelin

Contributor
Reaction score
Justice isn't only blind, she's deaf, dumb and falls asleep at important events. Haha.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score

Expect that only if the court is controlled by Constitutional Originalists. Leftist "Living Document" types tend to legislate from the bench.