• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers last 5 drafts my thoughts for better or worse (feel free to add your own)

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
2016 1 Artie Burns - A work in progress, but the arrow is pointing up
2016 2 Sean Davis- Has the look of developing into a rock solid SS.
2016 3 Javon Hargrave - With a healthy Cam it will be interesting to see the rotation
2016 4 Jerald Hawkins - A injury derailed the season. Will get a chance to play this year.
2016 6 Travis Feeney - A speedy smallish linebacker that was speedily grabbed off the practice squad
2016 7 Demarcus Ayers- A injury then a few flashes late -He will face steep competition to stick this year.
2016 7 Tyler Matakevich- Dirty red looks solid on ST's and he will get his chance to see the field this year in a bit role.

2015 1 Bud Dupree - Looked like Flash Gordon at times. Ahhh ahhh hopefully he will show full promise this year.
2015 2 Senquez Golson- Mighty mouse is one injury from leaving the house
2015 3 Sammie Coates - Dwight Stone is that you?
2015 4 Doran Grant- Rub a dub scrubed his way right off the roster
2015 5 Jesse James- not bad for a 5th rounder, just like Jesseeeeeeeee James
2015 6 Leterrius Walton - Showed more than I expected...
2015 6 Anthony Chickillo - Special teams and a bit player. Maybe nothing more....maybe
2015 7 Gerod Holliman - He couldn't tackle my Grandmother....and she's dead.

2014 1 Ryan Shazier - He can sure make some nice plays, when he is healthy.
2014 2 Stephon Tuitt - Shined with Cam out. A solid starter.
2014 3 Dri Archer - 101 pages on the wall 101 pages on the wall. Yep not short on pages, but everything else related to him...........was.
2014 4 Martavis Bryant - The Good - man he is good... The Bad - the wacky weed - The Ugly - we shall see what transpires
2014 5 Shaquille Richardson - O'Neal on the football field he was not.
2014 5 Wesley Johnson - found a home as a starter for the Jets, as was noted in posts below..
2014 6 Jordan Zumwalt - Jordan on the football field he was not.
2014 6 Daniel McCullers - Porbably nothing more than a big body. But he is towing the line.
2014 7 Rob Blanchflower- Never flowered... quickly wilted.

2013 1 Jarvis Jones - So you were Jones-ing for a pass rush were ya? 4 years later so were the Steelers
2013 2 Le'Veon Bell -Ring that Bell what a stud draft pick! I'd rap about it, but lost my focus.
2013 3 Markus Wheaton - From a 200 yard game to lame .
2013 4 Shamarko Thomas - IN the military shaming means look like your doing something when you really well aren't. Well....
2013 4 Landry Jones - So you were Jones-ing for a better backup to Ben? we still are
2013 5 Terry Hawthorne - A thorn? not even a prickle
2013 6 Justin Brown - z z z z z
2013 6 Vince Williams - Oh a late rounder who stuck. And gets to fight it out for a start this year.... But will he finish in that role?
2013 7 Nicholas Williams - Oh Saint Nicholas presented us will failure.

2012 1 David DeCastro - Had a few bumps in the road er caused a few. But a pro bowl caliber player late in round 1? win
2012 2 Mike Adams- The South Side says hi, the Steelers said bye.
2012 3 Sean Spence- Rebounded froma devistating injury. Oh what might have been. But still hanging in there..elsewhere.
2012 4 Alameda Ta'amu - did little...bounced around.. but hey love the name
2012 5 Chris Rainey- Oh that fast 40....left quicker than shorty.
2012 7 Toney Clemons- When I think of Clemons I think of Roger. ----- still do
2012 7 David Paulson- Never trust a man with two first names son.
2012 7 Terrence Frederick - Three first names "see above"
2012 7 Kelvin Beachum - No beach bum, this late round tackle did good. He has his injury issues however. Which might be his undoing in the end.

Last edited:

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

FIVE star rating. You did real good on both the informative and the entertainative side of this coin. THANK YOU

Salute the nation

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Lol. Gerod Holliman was burned by Slash.

Dri Archer
Chris Rainey

I like to see the undersized guy achieve in the nfl. Both guys were really fast and athletic. But they just do not fit the Steelers system. Sadly I think those guys would shine up in Foxborough.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Lol. Gerod Holliman was burned by Slash.

Dri Archer
Chris Rainey

I like to see the undersized guy achieve in the nfl. Both guys were really fast and athletic. But they just do not fit the Steelers system. Sadly I think those guys would shine up in Foxborough.

they're white?

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
My guess is that almost every teams draft boards would look similar. Most ones and twos work out. For every 1st round bust there is a deep round starter. The Steelers are better than average.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Hawkins retired and Feeney is in Tennessee

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to slashsteel again.

That's absolutely hilarious!!!

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Hawkins retired and Feeney is in Tennessee

? ?I think you are confusing him with another tackle that retired....

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
2014 looks to be e best of the bunch. 2015 looks suspect already.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

This is a big year for 2015. They need Dupree to develop into that 8-10 sack player this year and Golson to actually stay on the field long enough to evaluate him as a player. Outside of this, they have a decent No. 2 tight end, a good No. 4 receiver when healthy, a special teams/depth linebacker and a rotational defensive end. Not a bad draft for depth, but really need Dupree to become a quality starter and Golson a contributor.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

Dupree, Chikillo, James

Possibly Coates if his fingers limited him that bad.
But they all have a chance to be decent contributors. Best draft when it comes to players staying on the team
For a good while

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
This is a big year for 2015. They need Dupree to develop into that 8-10 sack player this year and Golson to actually stay on the field long enough to evaluate him as a player. Outside of this, they have a decent No. 2 tight end, a good No. 4 receiver when healthy, a special teams/depth linebacker and a rotational defensive end. Not a bad draft for depth, but really need Dupree to become a quality starter and Golson a contributor.

Right now it's Dupree and role players. Agree this is the make our break year for the 2015 draft.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score

Two solid starters and a couple decent backups is my yardstick. Dupree and James look like starters and Walton and Chickillo backups but I admit there is some reach there. Golson's health really hurts that class.

ark steel

Reaction score
Two solid starters and a couple decent backups is my yardstick. Dupree and James look like starters and Walton and Chickillo backups but I admit there is some reach there. Golson's health really hurts that class.

If Golson's health issues were a known, drafting him is suspect. If not, can't give the draft a bad rating because of something like that IMO.

I agree that Dupree and James are starter quality, and I did not expect that of James. Some might consider him borderline starting material or even, not-starter material, at all. I believe Coates is a good back-up possible starter, too. He started off well in 2016. After the injury, he had issues. Wiki is saying he had sports hernia surgery in February. At the very least, he provides good value to the team.

If Walton and Chick do make decent backups and good ST's, I think your expectations have been met and I don't disagree that it is a decent metric to go by, either.

I guess I should add that you would want to look at how other teams did near the spots you took. If you needed and took a CB at 4.30 and other teams picked 5th-6th rounders who are doing better, you might have gotten a good back up, but it may be considered a less than solid pick. If everyone picked crap in that area, maybe there just wasn't anything worthwhile to be had.

Last edited:

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Last edited: