• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Roethlisberger Says Miscommunication Led to Devastation in Final Seconds

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey AJ...feel free to read what the QB has to say about the situation:

Most notably:

1) "Roethlisberger also claimed he was unsure whether the coaching staff wanted to take a timeout or not after JuJu Smith-Schuster’s long reception to set them up comfortably inside the red-zone."
2) "After Jesse James‘ would-be touchdown catch was reversed, Pittsburgh seemed to be fighting an uphill battle. Roethlisberger ideally wished that the team had two plays prepared after the reversed touchdown, but in hindsight things of this nature are always discussed."

So once again, what exactly was Tomlin and Haley doing during the 5 minute review instead of relaying information to the players.

BAS

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Most notably:

1) "Roethlisberger also claimed he was unsure whether the coaching staff wanted to take a timeout or not after JuJu Smith-Schuster’s long reception to set them up comfortably inside the red-zone."
2) "After Jesse James‘ would-be touchdown catch was reversed, Pittsburgh seemed to be fighting an uphill battle. Roethlisberger ideally wished that the team had two plays prepared after the reversed touchdown, but in hindsight things of this nature are always discussed."

So once again, what exactly was Tomlin and Haley doing during the 5 minute review instead of relaying information to the players.

Tomlin said the concern was that they could get a completed pass, but NOT a TD, and incur a 10 second runoff (which an on-field official relayed to Tomlin) - at which point they would have to line up in a hurry to run a play from the 1, not the 10.

So you had multiple scenarios going on at once. The incomplete stopped the clock, a TD would have stopped the clock, a downed at the 1 would have had a 10 second runoff.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

Most notably:

I heard all those things earlier..the refs screwed us out a timeout

And Tomlin said they discussed all those things. Just wasnt given a second play

Imo spiking the ball wasnt discussed it wasnt a need for it to be discussed.. 2nd and goal with all that time..

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin said the concern was that they could get a completed pass, but NOT a TD, and incur a 10 second runoff (which an on-field official relayed to Tomlin) - at which point they would have to line up in a hurry to run a play from the 1, not the 10.

So you had multiple scenarios going on at once. The incomplete stopped the clock, a TD would have stopped the clock, a downed at the 1 would have had a 10 second runoff.

There is no way in HE double hockey sticks that anyone would believe that they were going to rule down by contact at the 1 yard line. One look at the replay board and it was obvious he was never touched, not my 3-4 feet. The only options there was incomplete pass or TD. If anyone wants to blame Ben for passing the buck, they had better blame Tomlin for passing the buck as well, because that is the biggest line of bullshit ever.

BAS

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
There is no way in HE double hockey sticks that anyone would believe that they were going to rule down by contact at the 1 yard line. One look at the replay board and it was obvious he was never touched, not my 3-4 feet. The only options there was incomplete pass or TD. If anyone wants to blame Ben for passing the buck, they had better blame Tomlin for passing the buck as well, because that is the biggest line of bullshit ever.

Doesn't matter -- if the scenario was presented as a possibility, they had to prepare for it.

It was obvious from anyone that saw the replay at home, and the replay on the big screen at the game, that James caught the ball and extended across the goal-line before getting touched by the defender. That much everyone can agree on. But before they show that replay at the stadium to the people on the field, or the replay on TV up in the booth -- the only ones that could confirm it at the time it happened were the guys standing right there.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Doesn't matter -- if the scenario was presented as a possibility, they had to prepare for it.

It was obvious from anyone that saw the replay at home, and the replay on the big screen at the game, that James caught the ball and extended across the goal-line before getting touched by the defender. That much everyone can agree on. But before they show that replay at the stadium to the people on the field, or the replay on TV up in the booth -- the only ones that could confirm it at the time it happened were the guys standing right there.
It wasn't even the head official, you mean Tomlin, Haley, or our own review guys don't have eye balls to say he wasn't close to being touched, it's either 6 or incomplete. And there was almost 4 mins of review time, I guarantee they showed the replay within seconds after the play, so they had plenty of time to see he wasnt close to being touched down

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Spike

Reaction score
Plenty of blame for the Steelers’ loss should fall on the shoulders of Ben Roethlisberger

It's easy to say a bad rule stopped the Steelers from victory on Sunday vs. New England, but it’s their quarterback who’s guilty for this latest crushing defeat.

It wasn’t because Antonio Brown was lost due to a partially torn calf muscle.

It wasn’t because of Gronk.

And it wasn’t because the Patriots were better than the Steelers.

No, Steelers fans, there is only one reason. One glaring, alarming, easy to spot, but hard to swallow, fact as to why this team took loss number three on the year. Ben Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger cost the Steelers a victory vs. the Patriots.

Chew on that and know it to be true. Much like Luke Skywalker denied at first, but eventually came around to the reality of what faced him despite not wanting to believe who his father was, I’m here to tell you Ben Roethlisberger cost the Steelers more than a game Sunday.

If you’re as decorated and as accomplished a player as Roethlisberger is, you simply don’t try to force a ball into that small a window and to a receiver like Eli Rogers, knowing you can still kick a field goal to tie the game and force overtime at home.

In classic Roethlisberger fashion after the game, he told the wretched media that he wanted to spike the ball on 3rd-and-goal, but was told not to in his headset. In other words, Todd Haley was to blame for what transpired with five seconds to go and probably losing the top seed in the upcoming AFC playoffs.

Ben acknowledged (after throwing his OC under a very big bus) that he was to blame for the loss.

Ya think?!

Place the blame where you want, Steelers fans. But make sure you place it at the feet of where it belongs. And that would be at the feet of your quarterback. Roethlisberger cost his team Sunday, and it’s a loss they’ll look back at and wonder what might have been if they had won.

This loss is on Roethlisberger and nothing else comes close.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...-shoulders-of-ben-roethlisberger-patriots-afc

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Spike your hatred of Roethlisberger is seethingly palpable.

Heat practically radiates of the screen. I think you seriously want him benched. You've done nothing but blame him for the entirety of the team's failure since the end of the game.

I can come to no other real conclusion since you do nothing but continue to practically vibrate with violent hatred for Roethlisberger that you want Jones in for the rest of the year. And I'm not even ******* with you here.

BAS

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Nope... I'm not defending Tomlin/Haley/Ben in the least. I think the following:

1. JuJu actually made a mistake cutting to the middle of the field. From the angles of the defenders pursuing him, and the position of Jesse James as a blocker ahead of him... it looks to me like he could have made it down to maybe the 20 before being knocked out of bounds -- and this would have stopped the clock and they would have saved the Timeout. They would have been in the redzone, just not as close to the goal.
2. James TD overturned -- Haley/Tomlin should have had the personnel on the field for 2 pass plays into the endzone. That includes Bryant, who's a tall threat in the endzone.
3. The Pass play to Heyward-Bey probably could have been better to get him out of bounds, or not thrown to him at all.
4. The final play - NO one on the field was on the same page, except the Patriots defensive backfield and Ben and Rogers made some sort of connection. Even still -- there was only the one target. It was ALL Ben at that point, he ****** up in passing into the center of the field, the heart of the defense, where there was ALL traffic and No other option for his pass. Of COURSE he should have thrown it out of the end zone.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm with BAS on most of this. I think JuJu did what was best given the situation. If he gets a break he may even score on that long run. The P*ts guys were winded too.

Not having Bryant on the field the final 2 plays was criminally stupid.

Ben should never have listened to Haley or anyone else. If you don't have a solid ******* plan, clock the ball and take the sure thing. Everything AFTER not clocking the ball was a terrible decision. EVERYTHING.

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone: Just. Shut. Up. Win the final two game and hope someone else knocks off the P****.

Skott

Contributor
Reaction score
My gripe is it was ruled a TD in the field. You can’t see any single conclusive evidence that James’ fingers alerted not underneath that ball on the field. And the TD should have remained.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
the field general (QB) has to be able to direct this and know wtf he is going to do.

The last 2-3 plays should have been scripted before they went back on the field.

But the decision to force that ball to rogers rests on Ben. It shouldn't have gotten to that point. But it did. Rogers isn't AB.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
The win was stolen the play before. Doesn't even matter. I know how I'd combat getting hosed like,but I won't print it here. But next time should they meet,double frat boy free to taunt and do what you did again. I'd put James Harrison to smash him at the line.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
I read Tomlin's explanations. Didn't explain anything. In that situation, he was just -
1dpyce.jpg

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
What was there 200 seconds between the review of the touchdown and the start of action? Tomlin and Haley must have been chatting about something else because neither did crap for a play call. If only the fans had access to a game day radio if would be pretty hard to defend these two.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
What was there 200 seconds between the review of the touchdown and the start of action? Tomlin and Haley must have been chatting about something else because neither did crap for a play call. If only the fans had access to a game day radio if would be pretty hard to defend these two.

You would of probably heard them discussing the three scenarios given to them.. including the one with a 10 second run off and a running clock. They gave their 14 year vet self proclaimied expert in calling his own plays one play probably thinking if he was going to throw short of the end zone that he could call another real play on his own since he tell everyone he does it all the time with all that time on the clock.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
You would of probably heard them discussing the three scenarios given to them.. including the one with a 10 second run off and a running clock. They gave their 14 year vet self proclaimied expert in calling his own plays one play probably thinking if he was going to throw short of the end zone that he could call another real play on his own since he tell everyone he does it all the time with all that time on the clock.
You'd think that as the Supposed head coach of the team youd want to make sure your guys were on the same page. Belicheat would've had two plays, past coaches and players said they should've had two plays planned during their 4 minute wait.
If Tomlin wanted Ben to call another play, then it's his job to tell him that before the O goes on to the field.

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

mdk2

Reaction score
Ben can't do anything about the DB grabbing Eli's jersey to get leverage. The back judge needs to throw a ******* flag on that play

They need to start having post game interviews with the officials just like the players. I want to know what exactly that back judge was looking at besides Eli getting held, thrown down, and jumped on.