• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Roethlisberger Says Miscommunication Led to Devastation in Final Seconds

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You'd think that as the Supposed head coach of the team youd want to make sure your guys were on the same page. Belicheat would've had two plays, past coaches and players said they should've had two plays planned during their 4 minute wait.
If Tomlin wanted Ben to call another play, then it's his job to tell him that before the O goes on to the field.

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

That would be too novel of a concept for AJ to comprehend. Plus, that would involve him having to assign some blame to Tomlin and that will NEVER happen. Hell will freeze over and unicorns will fly from his *** before that ever happens.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
That would be too novel of a concept for AJ to comprehend. Plus, that would involve him having to assign some blame to Tomlin and that will NEVER happen. Hell will freeze over and unicorns will fly from his *** before that ever happens.

And i say the same for you and Coryea about Ben. Some things dont have to be said... dont throw a pass to Bey if you 100% sure he can get out of bounds QB 101 in that situation.. secondly and AGAIN no one has explained to me why Ben once told to run a play couldnt call a REAL play. With all his experience calling plays.. and we know he has the experience because he tells EVERYONE and Coryea believes he should call his own plays all the time. But in this instance he needed a play from the sideline to get call a play. Then lastly if you werent hundred percent sure you werent going to get the pass into Rogers, if there was any hoping involved you throw the ball into the stands and kick the FG which is also QB 10 ******* 1

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
And i say the same for you and Coryea about Ben. Some things dont have to be said... dont throw a pass to Bey if you 100% sure he can get out of bounds QB 101 in that situation.. secondly and AGAIN no one has explained to me why Ben once told to run a play couldnt call a REAL play. With all his experience calling plays.. and we know he has the experience because he tells EVERYONE and Coryea believes he should call his own plays all the time. But in this instance he needed a play from the sideline to get call a play. Then lastly if you werent hundred percent sure you werent going to get the pass into Rogers, if there was any hoping involved you throw the ball into the stands and kick the FG which is also QB 10 ******* 1
Charlie Batch said the play to Bey is a common play in that situation, get your fastest guy running a drag, there's a chance the defender gets caught in the wash, most times he's either going to get the ball in space and hopefully turn the corner, or be able to get out of bounds, NEs DB tackler peeled off his guy to tackle Bey. So a former QB said that's pretty common, yep I'd say QB 101.

Again I'm fine with Ben calling the plays, but Tomlin has said before that in crucial situations that's not always the case, and if you want your 14 year vet QB to call the plays, then why send a play in with him at all? If Tomlin wanted him to call a play after the Bey play, is it really that hard to tell him on the sidelines, "hey if Bey is tackled in bounds run another play".

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

bigtwnvin

Reaction score
And to think, if the NFL wasn't in Robert Krafts pocket this thread would never have been posted.
FAK the NFL

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

1) Why would your hero allow Haley to call a pass play with DHB running a skinny drag route if it is such a horrific idea?
2) I fault Ben for poor decisions when he makes them. In hindsight, the throw to Rogers was stupid. BUT if Rogers doesn't get held it may well have been a TD.
3) You being unable to admit that Tomlin and Haley screwed the pooch with their game mismanagement in the last 30 seconds just shows what you are all about.
4) If Tomlin wanted 2 plays to be run and for Ben to call the plays why did he not tell Ben we have time for 2 shots at the EZ, if we don't get in or out of bounds on the first one, hurry to the line and get another play off. Not that hard to comprehend, all of the confusion on the play comes from Tomlin not relaying or communicating information to his players. Before you comment on how a player shouldn't need to be told anything by anyone, what exactly is a coaches job if not to tell his players what to do and when/how to do it.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The problem with piling all the blame on Roethlisberger for "calling his own plays" means that Tomlin had given up control to Ben to do so. Which hardly recommends him as a crunch time coach. You can't have it both ways.

But again.

******* enough. Focus... Houston... Must Win Game...

If they lose in Houston we only have ourselves to blame. We've been sitting here bitching and moaning like 2nd graders. If they come out unfocused well I better not hear ONE of you ************* *****. Cause you haven't had your **** together all week.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
1) Why would your hero allow Haley to call a pass play with DHB running a skinny drag route if it is such a horrific idea?
2) I fault Ben for poor decisions when he makes them. In hindsight, the throw to Rogers was stupid. BUT if Rogers doesn't get held it may well have been a TD.
3) You being unable to admit that Tomlin and Haley screwed the pooch with their game mismanagement in the last 30 seconds just shows what you are all about.
4) If Tomlin wanted 2 plays to be run and for Ben to call the plays why did he not tell Ben we have time for 2 shots at the EZ, if we don't get in or out of bounds on the first one, hurry to the line and get another play off. Not that hard to comprehend, all of the confusion on the play comes from Tomlin not relaying or communicating information to his players. Before you comment on how a player shouldn't need to be told anything by anyone, what exactly is a coaches job if not to tell his players what to do and when/how to do it.

That route is there to draw attention doesnt mean it should be thrown. If the defense doubles down on the routes on the end zone and YOU ARE SURE out of bounds is the end result you throw that pass to Bey. If there is hope involved you throw it out of bounds because the end result is not beneficial. 3rd and 7 and the clock running isnt better then 3rd and ten and the clock stopped. QB 101.

And again maybe he was expecting his QB to not throw a ball not into the end zone or short of the end zone on a scenario where the clock is still running you know because of FOOTBALL 101 in these situations. Because if you dont do these things your offense can huddle.. The only way a spike should of been discussed was a sack.

Last edited:

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
The problem with piling all the blame on Roethlisberger for "calling his own plays" means that Tomlin had given up control to Ben to do so. Which hardly recommends him as a crunch time coach. You can't have it both ways.

But again.

******* enough. Focus... Houston... Must Win Game...

If they lose in Houston we only have ourselves to blame. We've been sitting here bitching and moaning like 2nd graders. If they come out unfocused well I better not hear ONE of you ************* *****. Cause you haven't had your **** together all week.

Both ways thats where you are wrong you cant find one post on here from me praising Tomlin. Ever. So there is no both ways. I wouldnt of been on here singing his praises saying great call Tomlin. Just simply finally WE beat them *******

Their is only one person who toots his own horn when its about who called a play. Give you one guess who it is??

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
And again maybe he was expecting his QB to not throw a ball not into the end zone or short of the end zone on a scenario where the clock is still running you know because of FOOTBALL 101 in these situations. Because if you dont do these things your offense can huddle.. The only way a spike should of been discussed was a sack.

So again, Tomlin has NO responsibility to relay any information to his players or do anything other than to expect that his players can: call their own plays, decide when to call time outs, decide when to kill the clock, strategize and anything else that any other coach would normally take responsibility for. You give him credit for the wins but he gets no blame for the losses. I bet any coach would just love to have you as an owner with those type of expectations.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Both ways thats where you are wrong you cant find one post on here from me praising Tomlin. Ever. So there is no both ways. I wouldnt of been on here singing his praises saying great call Tomlin. Just simply finally WE beat them *******

Their is only one person who toots his own horn when its about who called a play. Give you one guess who it is??

Constantly telling everyone how he never has a losing season is praising Tomlin or do you deny ever saying that too?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Constantly telling everyone how he never has a losing season is praising Tomlin or do you deny ever saying that too?

Find a post where ive said that even close to recently

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
recently

lulz

Is there a problem slash..yes recently..only time i can even remember saying it is when having discussions with you and how long was that probably not in years

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a problem slash..yes recently..only time i can even remember saying it is when having discussions with you and how long was that probably not in years

ark steel

Reaction score

Is that praising or just stating a fact. For what it is worth, he does deserve praise for this. Why shouldn't he? He took over a good team, and as those players aged out he completely rebuilt them into a playoff team without having a losing season. The list of HC's that have done that in their first 20 years is very short. I think the graphic showed 2 or 3 names other than Tomlin.

He deserves praise for getting the team to the AFCCG last year, regardless of the loss.

Tomlin deserves quite a bit of praise for the talent on this team. If you start any sentence with "Another HC, with this talent...", you've already negated everything after that. That HC might not have THIS talent.

No where will you see me, AJ or any of us other Tomlin nuthuggers/lovers/whatever saying he is not flawed.

What we will say is: What part of the Jags game plan included an HOF QB throwing 5 ints (I think there were two pick 6's?). That doesn't meant tomlin didnt **** up in the game, what it means is, **** got ****** up. I don't know any non-cheating HC that could overcome 2 pick 6's and 3 other TD's.

The main issue, here is that: There appears not to have been a play called for that last play. The two trains of thought are 1) Haley/Tomlin should have made sure there was a plan and 2) Haley/Tomlin relied on Ben knowing what to do.

Regardless of how you feel about it, suppose it was a complete **** up by Tomlin/Haley and they didn't get a play called and you get every single person on this board and the entire world on this bandwagon.

Is that what lost the game? It is not. What lost the game is that Ben threw the ball to a shortish receiver in the middle of the EZ and 2-3 defenders. Ben could have decided the situation is too ****** up and spiked the ball, he could have vastly overthrown the receivers/defenders (happens all the time without intentional grounding). Ben has talent and he believed in his ability to get that ball into the player. The coaches and most of the people on this board believe in that ability and he often pulls **** like that out of his ***. Most of us overlook the occasional bonehead play because we know that a lot of those work out. When that bonehead play is the direct reason for the loss and for some unknown reason it was the coaches fault, some of us speak up and other get up in arms that we "defend tomlin".

Pointing out that Ben should not have thrown that pass into that traffic is not mutually exclusive with the coaches ******* that sequence of things up or "defending Tomlin". It is pointing out that, regardless of what the coaches ****** up, the actual loss lies in throwing what appears to be a very low percentage pass into traffic. That INT lost the game.

Everyone here wants Ben calling all the plays and he didn't have **** ready either, apparently. What is the deal with that?, After juju's long run, ben is running down the field calling a TO. Remember earlier in the year when he just stood around and watched as time ran out. Tomlin is behind the ref trying to get his attention to call a TO. All that time ran out because Tomlin is an idiot.....Yet, this time Ben knew to call the TO...

Regardless of how you feel about the coaches and their inability to get a play in, there was plenty of time to get a play audibled at the line, get everyone on board and run the play. That didn't happen properly and that is on the coaches and Ben. If i hadn't been on this board so long, i'd be flabergasted that anyone sees it any other way. If we were talking about a must less seasoned QB, it would be one thing, but we are not.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
And to think, if the NFL wasn't in Robert Krafts pocket this thread would never have been posted.
FAK the NFL

The truth of it all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Is that praising or just stating a fact. For what it is worth, he does deserve praise for this. Why shouldn't he? He took over a good team, and as those players aged out he completely rebuilt them into a playoff team without having a losing season. The list of HC's that have done that in their first 20 years is very short. I think the graphic showed 2 or 3 names other than Tomlin.

He deserves praise for getting the team to the AFCCG last year, regardless of the loss.

Tomlin deserves quite a bit of praise for the talent on this team. If you start any sentence with "Another HC, with this talent...", you've already negated everything after that. That HC might not have THIS talent.

No where will you see me, AJ or any of us other Tomlin nuthuggers/lovers/whatever saying he is not flawed.

What we will say is: What part of the Jags game plan included an HOF QB throwing 5 ints (I think there were two pick 6's?). That doesn't meant tomlin didnt **** up in the game, what it means is, **** got ****** up. I don't know any non-cheating HC that could overcome 2 pick 6's and 3 other TD's.

The main issue, here is that: There appears not to have been a play called for that last play. The two trains of thought are 1) Haley/Tomlin should have made sure there was a plan and 2) Haley/Tomlin relied on Ben knowing what to do.

Regardless of how you feel about it, suppose it was a complete **** up by Tomlin/Haley and they didn't get a play called and you get every single person on this board and the entire world on this bandwagon.

Is that what lost the game? It is not. What lost the game is that Ben threw the ball to a shortish receiver in the middle of the EZ and 2-3 defenders. Ben could have decided the situation is too ****** up and spiked the ball, he could have vastly overthrown the receivers/defenders (happens all the time without intentional grounding). Ben has talent and he believed in his ability to get that ball into the player. The coaches and most of the people on this board believe in that ability and he often pulls **** like that out of his ***. Most of us overlook the occasional bonehead play because we know that a lot of those work out. When that bonehead play is the direct reason for the loss and for some unknown reason it was the coaches fault, some of us speak up and other get up in arms that we "defend tomlin".

Pointing out that Ben should not have thrown that pass into that traffic is not mutually exclusive with the coaches ******* that sequence of things up or "defending Tomlin". It is pointing out that, regardless of what the coaches ****** up, the actual loss lies in throwing what appears to be a very low percentage pass into traffic. That INT lost the game.

Everyone here wants Ben calling all the plays and he didn't have **** ready either, apparently. What is the deal with that?, After juju's long run, ben is running down the field calling a TO. Remember earlier in the year when he just stood around and watched as time ran out. Tomlin is behind the ref trying to get his attention to call a TO. All that time ran out because Tomlin is an idiot.....Yet, this time Ben knew to call the TO...

Regardless of how you feel about the coaches and their inability to get a play in, there was plenty of time to get a play audibled at the line, get everyone on board and run the play. That didn't happen properly and that is on the coaches and Ben. If i hadn't been on this board so long, i'd be flabergasted that anyone sees it any other way. If we were talking about a must less seasoned QB, it would be one thing, but we are not.

That INT lost the game the same one where Eli was held. Perhaps he isn't the physical WR you throw into traffic I will give you that. But pass interference was clearly the culprit of that play.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tonight for supper I'm have in this meat & cracker tray that one of my suppliers dropped off. I like those this time of year but must be cautious as they are not
the healthiest things either. Then I'm picking this new babe (first date) up and we are going to drive around and look at Christmas decorations. AWESOME

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
So, has everyone seen the video of Tomlin right after DHB was tackled in bounds yet?

ark steel

Reaction score
That INT lost the game the same one where Eli was held. Perhaps he isn't the physical WR you throw into traffic I will give you that. But pass interference was clearly the culprit of that play.

Well, that is true, but it would seem to be a poor decision. Even without the hold, the chance of a completion seems slim, imo.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Clock manegement isnt just on the sidelines player have a role into it to..

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Clock manegement isnt just on the sidelines player have a role into it to..
Haley should have a go to call in that situation. A multiple blame between Haley, Ben throwing to a non physical Wr in a crowded area, and the holding. However you spin it it is a threefold fail.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Steeler Nation mobile app