• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Colbert ok with Big Ben calling out players on the radio.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

SteveA

Reaction score
Well, to a degree, I agree...But you also got to be careful not to place blame where it should not be

The pass that Ben got intercepted in the end zone when he said AB ran the wrong route, or ran a lazy route was clearly Bens fault EVEN IF AB RAN THE ROUTE SLOW.

No one, and I mean no Steeler was anywhere close to that pass. When he blamed AB it just didn't make sense

That was on Ben

diver

Reaction score
In a sane world I would agree. This is the era of snowflakes, and it appears that NFL players are really snowflakes in a way, too. I just don't think that too many NFL guys can handle the criticism.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
RIGHT ON BEN......!!!!!! I think we will find the team as a whole will be better equipped to handle Ben's constructive criticism due to the loss of the two DIVAs, especially Mr. Big Checks. TEAM unity will become a so much better atmosphere than of the past. BOOMin

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Ben should give up his radio show. No need for it. But, I find it laughable about people having a problem with Ben occasionally calling out teammates - especially when it is Shannon Sharpe bitching about it. Sharpe had the nerve to say Ben never takes the blame. Has he ever even listened to Ben? Ben always takes the blame when they lose, always. He may call out an individual play but he never blames anyone but himself for the loss.

chipped ham

Reaction score
I think Ben should give up his radio show. No need for it. But, I find it laughable about people having a problem with Ben occasionally calling out teammates - especially when it is Shannon Sharpe bitching about it. Sharpe had the nerve to say Ben never takes the blame. Has he ever even listened to Ben? Ben always takes the blame when they lose, always. He may call out an individual play but he never blames anyone but himself for the loss.

Exactly this. As I stated in another post, anyone who says otherwise, has no feel on this team. Hell, I think Ben said that the Raiders loss was on him (I was critical of him not coming in, but realized it was just impassioned bs, and needed a breather from the internet), even though the God damn defense couldn’t stop a two win team. Ben NEVER, and I mean NEVER defers blame from himself. Even in the broncos game, after his brown comment, I believe he said something along the lines of him not making the throw anyways.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I'm not there, you are not there. Pretty clear in my mind that it's a fractured locker room. Ben being the point of contention. There is a divide with his leadership. I'm not saying who is right or wrong. I believe Ben should be the leader and players should follow and listen. At least publically he says the right things and sounds reasonable. But I don't know what happens within. But when you strip it all down AB should just catch the damn ball and STFU.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Well, to a degree, I agree...But you also got to be careful not to place blame where it should not be

The pass that Ben got intercepted in the end zone when he said AB ran the wrong route, or ran a lazy route was clearly Bens fault EVEN IF AB RAN THE ROUTE SLOW.

No one, and I mean no Steeler was anywhere close to that pass. When he blamed AB it just didn't make sense

That was on Ben
They asked about the DB that looked like he would've intercepted it if the NT didn't get blown off the ball by Pouncey the way he did. That's when he said AB was to run a flat route, a flat route would've put AB between the ball and the DB.
Ben never said the int was ABs fault

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score

That was on Ben

They asked about the DB that looked like he would've intercepted it if the NT didn't get blown off the ball by Pouncey the way he did. That's when he said AB was to run a flat route, a flat route would've put AB between the ball and the DB.
Ben never said the int was ABs fault

This is the NFL the QBs throw a lot of timing routes, half of the time the ball is thrown to a spot on the field and if the receiver isn't where he is supposed to be like they practice it's an easy pic, so yes if AB ran a slow route or the wrong route that INT was on him not Ben.

6Lombardis

Reaction score
Its so clear now what a damn baby AB is. Waaaaaaaa!!! Babies throw their toys (out windows), babies pout. Put your diaper on, AB, and go somewhere people will only tell you what you want to hear.

I won’t defend Tomlin, but I’ve heard it said the he tries to “treat them like men, but when they won’t act like men, there’s problems.” I agree, and when the BABY is your second best player and a delicate flower, the coach had to try to manage him. That was tricky for Tomlin to say the least. Would have been nice if the BABY had just been a man.

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Its so clear now what a damn baby AB is. Waaaaaaaa!!! Babies throw their toys (out windows), babies pout. Put your diaper on, AB, and go somewhere people will only tell you what you want to hear.

I won’t defend Tomlin, but I’ve heard it said the he tries to “treat them like men, but when they won’t act like men, there’s problems.” I agree, and when the BABY is your second best player and a delicate flower, the coach had to try to manage him. That was tricky for Tomlin to say the least. Would have been nice if the BABY had just been a man.

Tomlin let the cancer grow. The guy is a pushover and certain players take advantage of him “ treating them like men “

If you have a diva distracting the team, you have to lay down the law.

You bring the player in your office to talk about the problem and define what will happen next. Have the GM or owner present. Divas care about two things primarily. Their stats and their money. Let them know both are at risk.

1st offense a fine.

2nd offense a fine plus you sit for a quarter and do not start.

3rd offense. A fine and you miss a game. By the third offense the GM should be quietly working the phones for a trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin let the cancer grow. The guy is a pushover and certain players take advantage of him “ treating them like men “

If you have a diva distracting the team, you have to lay down the law.

You bring the player in your office to talk about the problem and define what will happen next. Have the GM or owner present. Divas care about two things primarily. Their stats and their money. Let them know both are at risk.

1st offense a fine.

2nd offense a fine plus you sit for a quarter and do not start.

3rd offense. A fine and you miss a game. By the third offense the GM should be quietly working the phones for a trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app
You aren't too far off from what I am thinking. I would make that second screw up a one game suspension. The third I am quietly working the phones. As it is obvious the game off didn't send a clear enough message.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
AB said Ben acts like an owner. Team would be better off if every player acted like an owner.

giphy.gif

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Criticism on rookie Washington was positive, he told him to step up, didn't throw him under the bus or anything.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Steeler Nation mobile app

It's constructive criticism.
Someone who's a seasoned vet is identifying weaknesses and telling his teammates what to work on.
If the guys were smart not only would they win games but will have a prolonged career in the nfl to boot.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Someone who's a seasoned vet is identifying weaknesses and telling his teammates what to work on.
If the guys were smart not only would they win games but will have a prolonged career in the nfl to boot.
So a rookie gets it and used it to get better, while our over sensitive crybaby wr and 80% of our fan base are still crying about Ben being a big meanie to poor wittle AB

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

I'm sure you would agree that WASHINGTON did listen to BEN and has progressed advantageously. The ONLY one that I can tell who backlashed out was Mr. Big Checks and he needed it the most. BEN is an absolute leader and player and warrior (near warrior42 status) and MATURE MAN. I loved constructive criticism, especially when it came from equals, in all the sports I've excelled in over my life time, only a fool wouldn't.

Salute the nation

Reactions: MTC

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
So a rookie gets it and used it to get better, while our over sensitive crybaby wr and 80% of our fan base are still crying about Ben being a big meanie to poor wittle AB

I dunno about 80% but yeah for the rest...

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
The GM just said that the QB has 52 kids underneath him...

That sh*t is incredibly disrespectful, and it also gives some merit to AB's frustration.

I'm not excusing AB's recent mental breakdown, but Colbert's interview was entirely tone deaf and could further alienate players in the locker room.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
if your QB is not the leader on your team, there's likely an issue.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
The GM just said that the QB has 52 kids underneath him...

That sh*t is incredibly disrespectful, and it also gives some merit to AB's frustration.

I'm not excusing AB's recent mental breakdown, but Colbert's interview was entirely tone deaf and could further alienate players in the locker room.

I strongly disagree. I think he struck the proper tone and compared to Ben the others are kids. Ben has made the mistakes and seemingly learned from them he has been to the mountain top twice he should be a vocal leader and sometimes critic. He should be the leader of this team and should demand some respect.