• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

seachickens show some class

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
Now that must of been a real disappointment for the kid. Hopefully he'll be able to get past it and move on with his life.

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Very classy move.

Joe

Wingman

Reaction score
It says immediate future in the article, which makes me think the condition may not be permanent. Or it could be a permanent condition, and if so why did it not show up during his years at the collegiate level? I am also wondering if they were truly a classy organization why they did not keep him and get him medical coverage for his contract term as the Steelers did with Spence, that was a classy move. I would also wonder if there is the possibility of a misdiagnosis here.

Stoney

Reaction score
Well, Spence was injured while wearing a Steelers uniform. Its quite different imo.

Wingman

Reaction score
It is different, however the team could have released him with an injury settlement in the case of the Steelers. In the case of the Seachickens it was a move many other teams would not have done at all but they might have looked into it further to see if there was a recovery possibility. The article did not say but stated that he would not be able to play in their immediate future which makes me think it might be a correctable issue. We are however dealing with an article written by what passes for journalism these days so it may be a permanent condition that he has no way of recovering from in which case what they did was very classy indeed. The other question I have is was he using a different heart when he played ball in high school and college? Why did this condition not show up then?

CorpusDsteelers

Reaction score
"After undergoing an extensive physical with our medical staff last week, Garrett's examination revealed a rare heart condition that will prevent him from any on-field participation in the near future," general manager John Schneider said.

"We think highly of Garrett as a person and as a football player. The team is committed to supporting Garrett in the months to come and will continue to help him determine his next steps."

Stoney

Reaction score
I'm also curious as to what type of 'heart condition' he has? Is it possible that this kid never saw a doctor in 22 years of life? Or that as a HS and college player, he has never had an EKG in his life? Does the NCAA require colleges to assess their players ability to safely play their respective sports for the school?

These kids should get a complete physical before being allowed to play for college teams, its not too much to ask seeing as they'll be playing for free.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
It's a good thing we didn't draft him. Otherwise we'd get a 100 page thread about his inability to play football on the NFL level...

Wingman

Reaction score
I'm also curious as to what type of 'heart condition' he has? Is it possible that this kid never saw a doctor in 22 years of life? Or that as a HS and college player, he has never had an EKG in his life? Does the NCAA require colleges to assess their players ability to safely play their respective sports for the school?

These kids should get a complete physical before being allowed to play for college teams, its not too much to ask seeing as they'll be playing for free.
Years ago in public schools I had to take one, my children all had to take a physical prior to playing, and I can imagine there would be a physical that was more involved for college sports. It just seems odd, unless something like an enlarged heart from steroid use showed up what condition could it have been?