• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tough love from Ben to Martavis

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
ProFootballTalkNBC SportsProFootballTalk Live with Mike Florio

Roethlisberger: Bryant has to “toughen up”
Posted by Zac Jackson on January 5, 2016, 12:57 PM EST
Indianapolis Colts v Pittsburgh Steelers
Getty Images
The Steelers weren’t the same offense the last two weeks of the regular season that they were for much of the last two seasons.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said on 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh Tuesday morning that getting back to where the offense should be for the postseason will require more from wide receiver Martavis Bryant, who had one catch for no gain in last week’s win in Cleveland.

“Not that I’m shying from saying this [to Bryant]. It comes from love,” Roethlisberger said. “He needs to understand that…at this time of year you have to toughen up. You have to make tough plays, you have to make tough catches and you have to find ways to do everything you can to help this team.

“He was sick last week and that got him behind a little bit. But I love to challenge him. We all do. The sky is the limit for him. I want to challenge him to be the best in the world, and it’s really up to him with what he wants to do with that challenge.

“Does he want to crumble and wilt and pout and let it bother him? Or does he want to rise up, step up, say ‘I’ll take that challenge’ and does he want to be the best in the world?”

Bryant has scored 15 touchdowns in 21 career games but has been kept out of the end zone in four straight games. He had 10 catches for 87 yards vs. the Broncos on Dec. 20 but has two catches since.

Roethlisberger appears on The Cook and Poni Show every Tuesday.

“We need a big postseason from Martavis,” Roethlisberger said later in the interview. “We know defenses will be tuned in to [Antonio Brown] so we need other guys to step up.

“We need Martavis to grow and be tough. We need Steeler tough from him.”

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that Bryant had a minor injury last week.

“We’re excited about preparing this week with Martavis and everyone else,” Tomlin said.

mdk2

Reaction score
Well said by Ben..

I expect to see Martavis back in form this weekend. I think he plays well and makes some big catches.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I like to see him pushing the kid. He's doing it in a humane way. Not calling him out or embarrassing, but trying to get him to elevate his game. I appreciate the leadership and if Martavis really comes through, we'll know what he's made of. I think he will

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Bryant must have thin skin, Tomlin had no problem calling Wallace a one trick pony and he needs to work harder at becoming a complete wr, but at his presser today Tomlin gave Bryant a pass basically and said he was sick latein the week

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Bryant can break a team's back with a long play. I'd keep throwing it to him, but more so on downs 1 and 2. On 3rd down, I prefer a money player like Brown or Miller who are more reliable.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Bryant must have thin skin, Tomlin had no problem calling Wallace a one trick pony and he needs to work harder at becoming a complete wr, but at his presser today Tomlin gave Bryant a pass basically and said he was sick latein the week

Tomlin / Ben = Good Cop / Bad Cop

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Everybody is different kudos to Tomlin knowing who he can and can't needle..

P

POP

Bryant can break a team's back with a long play. I'd keep throwing it to him, but more so on downs 1 and 2. On 3rd down, I prefer a money player like Brown or Miller who are more reliable.

I totally agree. I prefer balls going to AB or Heath on 3rd downs for the most part.

P

POP

I like to see him pushing the kid. He's doing it in a humane way. Not calling him out or embarrassing, but trying to get him to elevate his game. I appreciate the leadership and if Martavis really comes through, we'll know what he's made of. I think he will

Well, not only did he have the flu, but he sprained his neck too. I think he will be ready to play this week.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
The ball has to go to whose is open because im sure defenses are gearing up to stop Brown and Heath on third down.

awboatguy

Reaction score

I also like the Wheaton connection on 3rd down. He's been quite the force for us lately.

BAS

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Martavis needs to learn how to use his body to fight off his defender. Ben can't underthrow him either.

DocScott

Contributor
Reaction score
Bryant will show up on Sunday...he'll be called upon especially with Williams out of the offense. He's due for a good game.

swanny88

Reaction score
He also needs to learn how to catch. He has two or three drops per game. Since he came out and said he was better than AB he hasnt done ****. He has the talent just needs to catch more and use his body more but that will come with experience.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Tomlin / Ben = Good Cop / Bad Cop

Ah, but when Tomlin takes away the locker room games, isn't he the bad cop?

Tomlin just needs to figure out what Bryant likes to do in his off time on the premises and push that button.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Bryant can change the game in the blink of an eye and the Steelers need that version back. Glad to see Ben challenge him.

diver

Reaction score
Ben should do that stuff behind closed doors. There is no reason we should know about it.

What if James Harrison called him out in public for that stupid ****** pick in the Browns game which Harrison had to bail him out of?

I have no problem with Ben riding the guys ***. That is needed. But it should be left in the locker room.

nooneuno

Forefather
Reaction score
Kind of ironic that Ben calls him out when he injured his neck trying to make a tackle on a pick Ben threw lol

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, but when Tomlin takes away the locker room games, isn't he the bad cop?

Tomlin just needs to figure out what Bryant likes to do in his off time on the premises and push that button.

Bryant likes to get HIGH-HIGH_HIGH!

Stoney

Reaction score
Ben should do that stuff behind closed doors. There is no reason we should know about it.

What if James Harrison called him out in public for that stupid ****** pick in the Browns game which Harrison had to bail him out of?

I have no problem with Ben riding the guys ***. That is needed. But it should be left in the locker room.
I disagree, he needs to feel the pressure. I hardly think what Ben said was very 'tough', he could've been more critical.

As for Ben's int, he has played like **** but interceptions are sometimes a result of forcing and trying to hard. A receiver watching a perfectly thrown ball go right through his hands is simply inexcusable, and it seems to happen more than once a game with him lately. He simply needs to wake the F up, or sit the F down.

diver

Reaction score
I disagree, he needs to feel the pressure. I hardly think what Ben said was very 'tough', he could've been more critical.

As for Ben's int, he has played like **** but interceptions are sometimes a result of forcing and trying to hard. A receiver watching a perfectly thrown ball go right through his hands is simply inexcusable, and it seems to happen more than once a game with him lately. He simply needs to wake the F up, or sit the F down.

Don't misinterpret. Ben should be on his ***. Be critical to his face. Just leave it behind closed doors. We do not need to know about it.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with what he said. He praised Bryant throughout the interview. He just said he needs to step up to his abilities. Maybe coach flim flam should take notes.

Spike

Reaction score
Ben says if you can't **** your pants to catch 3 passes then I don't want to hear your ****.

yea verily

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Bryant isn't mentally tough, I think we know that from last year. He will crumble, take to the chronic, and fail another drug test. Mark my words.