• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Magic Mike

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure you're gonna get a lot of clicks with that thread title

That being said, I think even the most stout Tomlin haters, which I count myself among, can agree that he's done a great job bouncing back from that horrific Ravens game and keeping the team together without Ben

Last edited:

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I liked the read. How was the Raven's game horrific??? Signing Scobee and his 2 million dollar salary - THAT's HORRIFIC. It takes bold management to realize they've made a mistake - Scobee is gone and, oh look, we've got a kicker now (remember I suggested getting someone w/ a soccer background??? That's just what they did)...

As long as they keep the darn cameras out of our shower room - we'll only have to endure our "Magic Mike" on the sideline...

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
The ravens game was botched by both Tomlin and/or Haley and Scoobee. I don't think signing scoobee was a bad move, or just did not work out.

The Chargers game we were lucky to win and seemed to have to do more with Ben than Tomlin / Haley. Vick should have been sent to the bench that game.

The only reason we won the Cardinal game was due to our defense and Landry sparking the team. Landry only came in because Vick was hurt. Vick should have been benched long before.

Only credit i can see for tomlin is keeping the D together and inspired, but that is more than likely Butler not Tomlin.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
The ravens game was botched by both Tomlin and/or Haley and Scoobee. I don't think signing scoobee was a bad move, or just did not work out.

The Chargers game we were lucky to win and seemed to have to do more with Ben than Tomlin / Haley. Vick should have been sent to the bench that game.

The only reason we won the Cardinal game was due to our defense and Landry sparking the team. Landry only came in because Vick was hurt. Vick should have been benched long before.

Only credit i can see for tomlin is keeping the D together and inspired, but that is more than likely Butler not Tomlin.

So you don't like the black guys???

Take it easy - it's a joke...

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
I liked the read. How was the Raven's game horrific??? Signing Scobee and his 2 million dollar salary - THAT's HORRIFIC. It takes bold management to realize they've made a mistake - Scobee is gone and, oh look, we've got a kicker now (remember I suggested getting someone w/ a soccer background??? That's just what they did)...

As long as they keep the darn cameras out of our shower room - we'll only have to endure our "Magic Mike" on the sideline...

They blew a 13 point second half lead against what would otherwise be an 0-6 team, TWICE refusing to give the ball to the best back in football with the game on the line. Horrific may be strong, but it was a really bad loss.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm still trying to determine what Tomlin's greatest strengths as a coach are. Right now I'm putting him in the same category as Marvin Lewis. (Yup, I said it.) He can kinda motivate but at the end of the day, he doesn't show up at the table. The wheels tend to fall off because I don't see HIM stepping up and being a strong leader. (And I know what you're going to say about that.) The Bengals don't have the winning record that the Steelers do, The Bengals rarely make the playoffs and NEVER win playoff games. In truth, the Steelers have something the Bengals sadly lack. From the top to the bottom since the early mid-70s the Steelers have a Culture of Success. The entire fanbase, ownership and franchise utterly expects to win. For the Steelers, a .500 season is completely sub-par. For the Bengals, that's relatively successful. They sadly don't have the same concept of success. Therefore they can't hold themselves to the same standard. Mike Tomlin could be on life support and the fan base and ownership expectations ALONE would propel the players to live up to expectations of a 6-10 season lest they fear being run out of town. 8-8 is BARELY, MINIMALLY sufficient to skate by in Pittsburgh and that's only for a season or two.

I feel as though Tomlin's pre-game preparation is weak, his in-game adjustments are weak, his challenges are suspect and his clock management is terrible. That's how I feel. He's had more than enough time to improve in all these areas. I'm still waiting. I believe he has the extremely good fortune to have a very rare quarterback at his disposal and a couple great offensive players.

I will concede that Butler seems to be doing some pretty impressive things with the defense. I have long believed that the defense has been "morphed" away from a traditional 3-4 core into something else and that the personnel was part of the reason it wasn't doing very well. Now Butler seems to be getting more out of this group. It would seem that Tomlin may deserve more credit than I have given him on that front. As I can be critical, I can also be pleased. If the head coach is responsible for all the negative issues with the team ultimately, he also gets some credit for upward trends in the overall performance of the various units. So, I'm looking at that defense and thinking perhaps there HAS been a plan there and that Tomlin and Colbert have been considering what's going on with the league rules and they've been working toward adjusting the defense accordingly over the last few years.

Anyway, I still need to see a GREAT deal better preparation from him before the game starts and some decent adjustments when the game is going awry and even when it's going well. I need to know that he's "checked in" during the games. The Steelers don't have cheerleaders for a reason. We need coaches, not motivational speakers.

Last edited:

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Amazing that the Next Man Up mantra is not only believed by our players, but they expect it. Right now, none of our backups are killing us. They're working hard and performing. Obviously we'd be better with Ben, Pouncey, and Shazier, but their backups are still doing a good job.

This week's game in KC is big to see if Tomlin can get a 3rd string QB ready to win in a hostile environment. NEXT MAN UP!!

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
And I'll admit that is something Tomlin does VERY well. He'll have his players confident and pumped. Hopefully they'll have a game-plan that will provide the best opportunity to take advantage of the personnel and situations available. I go into it as Ido every week. Full of great expectation. I really think Landry gets this one. In fact, I would love to see him knock it out of the park.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
I'm still trying to determine what Tomlin's greatest strengths as a coach are. Right now I'm putting him in the same category as Marvin Lewis. (Yup, I said it.) He can kinda motivate but at the end of the day, he doesn't show up at the table. The wheels tend to fall off because I don't see HIM stepping up and being a strong leader. (And I know what you're going to say about that.) The Bengals don't have the winning record that the Steelers do, The Bengals rarely make the playoffs and NEVER win playoff games. In truth, the Steelers have something the Bengals sadly lack. From the top to the bottom since the early mid-70s the Steelers have a Culture of Success. The entire fanbase, ownership and franchise utterly expects to win. For the Steelers, a .500 season is completely sub-par. For the Bengals, that's relatively successful. They sadly don't have the same concept of success. Therefore they can't hold themselves to the same standard. Mike Tomlin could be on life support and the fan base and ownership expectations ALONE would propel the players to live up to expectations of a 6-10 season lest they fear being run out of town. 8-8 is BARELY, MINIMALLY sufficient to skate by in Pittsburgh and that's only for a season or two.

I feel as though Tomlin's pre-game preparation is weak, his in-game adjustments are weak, his challenges are suspect and his clock management is terrible. That's how I feel. He's had more than enough time to improve in all these areas. I'm still waiting. I believe he has the extremely good fortune to have a very rare quarterback at his disposal and a couple great offensive players.

I will concede that Butler seems to be doing some pretty impressive things with the defense. I have long believed that the defense has been "morphed" away from a traditional 3-4 core into something else and that the personnel was part of the reason it wasn't doing very well. Now Butler seems to be getting more out of this group. It would seem that Tomlin may deserve more credit than I have given him on that front. As I can be critical, I can also be pleased. If the head coach is responsible for all the negative issues with the team ultimately, he also gets some credit for upward trends in the overall performance of the various units. So, I'm looking at that defense and thinking perhaps there HAS been a plan there and that Tomlin and Colbert have been considering what's going on with the league rules and they've been working toward adjusting the defense accordingly over the last few years.

Anyway, I still need to see a GREAT deal better preparation from him before the game starts and some decent adjustments when the game is going awry and even when it's going well. I need to know that he's "checked in" during the games. The Steelers don't have cheerleaders for a reason. We need coaches, not motivational speakers.

His ability to win.

Not a bad trait for a head coach to have.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
"And a couple of great offensive players"

Well if he is going to be ran up a pole for Jarvis Jones Ziggy Hood and others shouldn't he be given credit **** props for Le'veon Bell Martavis Bryant Antonio Brown not just good players but guys who are regarded as the best in the biz(Martavis's potential is sky high). Not glossed over or begrudgingly given "and a couple of great offensive players"

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
And I'll admit that is something Tomlin does VERY well. He'll have his players confident and pumped. Hopefully they'll have a game-plan that will provide the best opportunity to take advantage of the personnel and situations available. I go into it as Ido every week. Full of great expectation. I really think Landry gets this one. In fact, I would love to see him knock it out of the park.

If they have a good playoff run this season will be by far MT's best job of coaching since he's been here. I had faint hope that Butler's defense would be better than DLB's but recognizing that there is a dirth of talent we were fully expecting a dumpster fire of epic proportion, then they go out and hold the Pats**** to less than 30. This. Could. Be. A. Very. Good. Year.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Think this is the season Tomlin sheds or quiets some of haters who want to bash him for everything he does. We've had so much questionable in game stuff and for whatever reason this year it seems to be working. Always happy to see the team succeed and we have the roster to win another championship, that's the goal and hopefully that's how this season finishes.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Letting Vick pass on short and distance was a bad mistake. Give it to Bell. That cost us the Ravens game, as did poor clock management.

If not for Vick getting injured, we might lose the Arizona game. Clearly Landry Jones was the better option.

With Ben out the best thing was being + on the turnovers. The Steelers have been lucky that Vick was not intercepted at least 4 times, two of which looked like pick sixes. You could say lots of plan B's have worked, but Tomlin picks the plan A's.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin could physically **** out our 7th Lombardi at midfield of Heinz Stadium and there would be people here bitching that he had the audacity to not wipe his *** afterwards.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm gonna be brutally honest Antdrewjosh, I see Martavis as a year long suspension waiting to happen. Sure he's talented but what are the odds he's really going to keep his nose clean? He was busted at least three times in 1 year. I'm just sayin' the scouting department and then the team babysitting department utterly crapped the bed here. So while I suppose they picked up a really talented wideout, I pretty seriously doubt he's going to be with the team much longer.

Bell is an amazing player. But, apparently so is his backup who was leading the AFC through two weeks. You know, the guy that's been given all of 6 or 7 carries since then. But I'm not going to really ***** too much about that because I'm not really a huge fan of running back by committee either. I just feel as though you risk pissing off the guy who busted his *** and did right by you. I have loyalty issues. Sue me.

I can't argue that the offense is looking pretty good this year and the defense is also looking much better than I expected. However, I also see that the moment Roethlisberger went down that high-powered offense became completely terrible. Sure, Vick's not good but you'd think a great coach and coordinator could do SOMETHING with such a great offense.

And finally, for those folks who like to discuss Tomlin's amazing win record. He was not so great last year. And if you look at the Steelers recent playoff history it doesn't look good at all. Those are the things I'd like to see improve and rather I see regression. I WAS a huge fan of the hire. I was excited and eager to see him do well. I'm just not seeing it. I would like to be impressed as much, hell MORE than anybody. I don't like being underwhelmed. I get enough of that when I shower.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin could physically **** out our 7th Lombardi at midfield of Heinz Stadium and there would be people here bitching that he had the audacity to not wipe his *** afterwards.

Well YA. That's just gross. Dude couldn't gameplan some charmin toilet paper? Come on!

ark steel

Reaction score
Letting Vick pass on short and distance was a bad mistake. Give it to Bell. That cost us the Ravens game, as did poor clock management.

If not for Vick getting injured, we might lose the Arizona game. Clearly Landry Jones was the better option.

With Ben out the best thing was being + on the turnovers. The Steelers have been lucky that Vick was not intercepted at least 4 times, two of which looked like pick sixes. You could say lots of plan B's have worked, but Tomlin picks the plan A's.

Christ on a caterpillar.

I would say Plan A was that Ben doesn't get hurt and the team continues. That seems to have been a good Plan A with the D playing better. Plan B is Vick (no ******* idea why), but didn't turn into all losses. Plan C is Jones which seems to have worked out against AZ. However, with Vick being a mighty 3/8 for 6 yards, the team was down by 4 whole points? Landry's first drive starts in AZ's territory at the 32, with Bell getting 24 of those yards on 8 rushes. Doesn't sounds like Landry sparked a whole lot there. Might have lost that game with Vick seems to be a pretty strong statement without a lost of basis. They might have lost the game had Ben never been hurt. They might have lost the game if Jones doesn't hit Bryant for an 88 yard TD pass or throws it a little bit behind him where he catches it, but gets tackled.

Might have lost, lucky not intercepted, blah, de ******* blah. In the TB game they played here a few years ago, Batch threw like three TD's or some ****. at least one was a deflection right out of the defenders hands, but I didn't give a **** that the defender missed the int, I cheered for the ******* TD. Maybe Vick sucks so bad, his passes are uncatchable by the defenders, too?!

How many games have the Steelers lost over the years when a Steelers CB dropped an int and the offense went on to score the game winning points? When that happened were you happy with the results with a "well if that int hadn't been dropped" or did you continue to ***** about how terrible Tomlin is.

**** happens on a football field. People drop passes, overthrow passes, miss int's, etc. It is all part of the game.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I am going to say this, as hard as I am on Tomlin, we came in to this season supposedly facing the toughest schedule in the league, minus two of our strongest offensive playmakers and with a defense that we all expected to be EVEN WORSE without Lebeau. Then we promptly lost Ben.

I'll give it up. Mike's done a pretty damn good job of keeping the wheels on. I'll give him full credit for keeping the team's **** together when a lot of coaches would have had every excuse to pack it in.

So, congratulations, I do say he's done a fine job with a full on ****-sandwich. I can't even begin to argue that.

Steelz

Reaction score
Good to actually see some appreciation and positivity threads around here for a change, it's true winnings solves everything, now let's keep it up!

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin has the 4th highest win percentage among active coaches. He must be doing SOMETHING right.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

The closest he's come to a losing season was 8-8 in consecutive years. Since then, he's 11-5 and counting on this one.

I see, too, what wig says about the defense. We have made a noticeable change in how we approach defense. We've adjusted to the NFL's pussification. Currently, without our best QB, we are still tied for 3rd in scoring and are 4th in points against defense in the AFC - despite our rag tag bunch on defense. We're 7th overall in points scored against the defense league-wide. We've also had the hardest schedule in the AFC thus far.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2015/

so, no, Tomlin can't do a ******* thing right. or is that statement now incorrect?

blitzburghv5

Reaction score
Mike Tomlin doesn't have **** to prove to any of us...hes already proven it to whom matters the most....im QUITE certain the Rooneys are pleased with the guy they hired in 2007.

Steel G

Reaction score
Well YA. That's just gross. Dude couldn't gameplan some charmin toilet paper? Come on!

Tomlin's pretty sure he would be able to properly procure some sufficient anal cleaning substances.