• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

NFL.com mock for rds 2-3

ZACKB

Reaction score
What kind of safety can we get in rd 3? I like Von Bell, but would you guys take Calhoun in rd 2, and hope to get a Darian Thomson in rd 3? I would hate to see the Rats take Spence. I would poo myself if we got him.

I'd be shocked if he was still on the board when our 2nd round pick rolls around.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
What kind of safety can we get in rd 3? I like Von Bell, but would you guys take Calhoun in rd 2, and hope to get a Darian Thomson in rd 3?

I would, either Calhoun or a DT like Austin Johnson. My ideal safety pick would be Simmons in the 3rd, but he may be gone by then.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I would take Hargrave and Jatavis Brown

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd ask Coach whom to select, then remove those guys from my board out of spite.

ark steel

Reaction score
It would be nice to have a good safety in the draft/

Cravens in the 3rd. Beginning of Draft season he was showing up in round 1 mocks.

lefty

Reaction score
It would be nice to have a good safety in the draft/

Cravens in the 3rd. Beginning of Draft season he was showing up in round 1 mocks.

Many here were hot and heavy on him early

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
There are a few EDGE/OLB guys available like Dodd, Spence, Correa, Calhoun. RD 2 mock from CBS has us taking Calhoun
My hunch is Calhoun will go pretty early, we'll see.

I would love to know what the Steelers coaches think about Charles Tapper and Emmanuel Ogbah, whether they see OLB/edge potential in either of them. If they miss out on edge guys next few rounds, Stephen Weatherly is a dark horse later in the draft, as he has all the measurables of what they tend to look for in their annual DE to OLB conversion project.

With the safeties, my two question marks are TJ Green and Deandre Houston-Carson. Both are clearly FS types, are the Steelers comfortable with moving Mitchell to SS? Will they follow their lead with Burns and pick another young, high upside player like Green? Then there is a guy like Killebrew we hardly mention. Sean Davis would also be a size-speed prospect who's also a big hitter. I may be wrong, but it seems there will be a fairly decent safety still around in the 3rd, maybe even the 4th that they'd wait a bit.. A guy like KJ Dillon may drop who seems to be a serviceable all around safety. Not to mention Justin Simmons who's been all over the place in mocks from as high as the 2nd to as low as the 6th.

Last edited:

ZACKB

Reaction score
Ogbah is more of a 4-3 guy...right? I think Dallas takes him. What if Dodd and Calhoun are there at our pick...or Spence. We have to take one. Good edge guys that can start won't be there in rd 3....most likely.

I would love to know what the Steelers coaches think about Charles Tapper and Emmanuel Ogbah, wether they see OLB/edge potential in either of them. If they miss out on edge guys next few rounds, Stephen Weatherly is a dark horse later in the draft, as he has all the measurables of what they tend to look for in their annual DE to OLB conversion project.

Reaction score

Yeah, we've talked about this. There just too much vicious tape on Calhoun to pass him up. Everyone needs edge rushers and the only thing holding him back is his "tweener" status. I expect someone in the mid second to take a flyer on him.

Reaction score
SI has us taking Kyler Fackrell (what an unfortunate name to put on a jersey). Long edge rusher with limited moves. Good athlete, good in coverage. But at 6-5/245 he only managed 15 reps on the bench. That's a FS/SS type number.

deljzc

Reaction score
Fackrell is like 24-25 years old. That's very un-Steeler like of late. Tomlin seems to like them young and malleable.

He's almost a splitting clone of Trevor Reilly, who was also an older OLB prospect that came out a few seasons ago and is a backup on the Jets.

Reaction score
THE PROBLEM WITH BILLINGS

I know we all love the idea of another Big Snack to chew up space in the middle. The problem is, we've been moving more and more away from playing a 2 gap scheme. The game today is all about spreading teams out, forcing sub packages. Even if you use a player like that, there's too many ways to go around him. Some film on Billings to illustrate:

He's negated by the spread here. He gets very little push in the passing game, even when single blocked because the QB doesn't hold the ball. Billings is repeatedly gashed in the running game because Oklahoma can just run around him or cut him. And that's the most disturbing part of the tape on him: watch how many times he is effectively cut blocked. It's a lot.

Schematically I think we've moved away from this type of player, and for good reason.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
I like Billings and Spence. After that Calhoun, Chris Jones, Bell or TJ green would be the only two safeties id take in round 2. Also wouldn't mind a G if BPA: Whitehair or Westerman.

Round 3 Could be the round we get safety help as Simmions, Cash, Thompson and Houston-Carter all would have great value there.

Reaction score
I like Billings and Spence. After that Calhoun, Chris Jones, Bell or TJ green would be the only two safeties id take in round 2. Also wouldn't mind a G if BPA: Whitehair or Westerman.

Round 3 Could be the round we get safety help as Simmions, Cash, Thompson and Houston-Carter all would have great value there.

With Martavious out for the season on drug suspension, I'm no fan of Spence. I think we avoid players with that kind of history for the foreseeable future.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I don't care about schemes and sub packages. You put a huge guy who can move a little in there and you force a double team. You force a double team and someone is single or unblocked on a blitz. Why can't he play DT in a 4 down lineman rush opposite Heyward with Dupree and Tuitt on the ends. And this team is still supposed to be base 3-4. If you have no nose then you really aren't a 3-4 at all.

ZACKB

Reaction score
Calhoun/Edge rusher in rd 2, Hargraves in rd 3. I would be super happy with that. Can get a safety in rd 4.