• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Backup RB competition between Toussaint & Richardson is closer than some might think

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Backup RB competition between Toussaint & Richardson is closer than some might think

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...elers-roster-battle-rbs-toussaint-richardson/

I think Toussaint opened with a edge, but if Richardson continues to perform like he did in the first preseason game it will be interesting who gets the nod once Bell returns game (1-4 whenever that may be).

As I am thinking out of the gates both are on the opening roster provided Bell's suspension is upheld.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...elers-roster-battle-rbs-toussaint-richardson/

I think Toussaint opened with a edge, but if Richardson continues to perform like he did in the first preseason game it will be interesting who gets the nod once Bell returns game (1-4 whenever that may be).

As I am thinking out of the gates both are on the opening roster provided Bell's suspension is upheld.

You got this from a PRESEASON game? ****, some here said the only player playing was JAMES HARRISON............. LOL

slash, I noticed the running with emphasis too. Richardson has closed the gap and as said, may be in the mix heavily upon Bell's return.

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Richardson was a bit more explosive and created. Neither wowed me, but Richardson definitely caught my attention. Both should make it to start assuming Bell has to serve his suspension.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Richardson looked explosive. He's fast enough to beat linebackers to the corner. Nice change of pace type. And he never lost a fumble in a playoff game.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Richardson looked explosive. He's fast enough to beat linebackers to the corner. Nice change of pace type. And he never lost a fumble in a playoff game.

how many did he play in?

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score

I am to lazy to look it up but I think I remember that the fumble against Denver was his first as a pro every back fumbles once, I wouldn't hold it against him any more because it was a playoff game

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I think they might well keep 4 backs in the end. One probably makes the 53 but doesn't get a game day hat.

Hobbster

Reaction score

Woohoo, I just qualified to make the Steelers, I too have never lost a fumble in a playoff game, in fact I never even had a fumble, both in playoffs and the regular season.

ark steel

Reaction score
Woohoo, I just qualified to make the Steelers, I too have never lost a fumble in a playoff game, in fact I never even had a fumble, both in playoffs and the regular season.

Can I have your autograph?

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I really want to know if you analyze your thoughts before you post them to the Internet - or do you just throw poop at the wall and see if it sticks???
how many did he play in?
You beat me to it.

Hobbster

Reaction score
Can I have your autograph?

Funny thing is I literally never gave that stat a second thought, but now that Coach has highlighted it I am actually pretty jacked about it!!! I may even start showing up at autograph events.

skialta

Reaction score
how many did he play in?

i'm not trying to argue with a well respected board member, but...
how is that relevant. hold onto the rock. he doesn't fumble that ball and pittsburgh wins that game

Hobbster

Reaction score
how many did he play in?

how is that relevant. hold onto the rock. he doesn't fumble that ball and pittsburgh wins that game

You misunderstood, slashsteel is talking about Darryl Richardson, meaning how many playoff games has he been in and not fumbled. Coach said "he (Richardson) never lost a fumble in a playoff game" as if that was an accomplishment to be proud of for a player that had never been in a playoff game. Slashsteel was just pointing out that it was an idiotic comment even from Coach, who makes more than pretty much everybody's fair share of idiotic comments.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Not a Debbie downer but you can't say that with 100% certainty. Maybe Sammy fumbles or tips a pick six right to defender. With Richardson not having experience is what I think the hint is. Have a smile

Salute the nation

skialta

Reaction score
You misunderstood, slashsteel is talking about Darryl Richardson, meaning how many playoff games has he been in and not fumbled. Coach said "he (Richardson) never lost a fumble in a playoff game" as if that was an accomplishment to be proud of for a player that had never been in a playoff game. Slashsteel was just pointing out that it was an idiotic comment even from Coach, who makes more than pretty much everybody's fair share of idiotic comments.

My bad. I'll see my way out! Carry on

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't think Toussaint was good in college and he has continued his complete mediocrity with the Steelers. Unless he's a special teams demon, I don't see a reason to keep Toussaint over Richardson. Richardson at least has some running talent and can contribute in the passing game.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
how many did he play in?

SlashSteel,

Cleveland and the Rams seldom make the playoffs, however, Richardson does have 690 yards rushing in the NFL.

How many does Toussaint have? Just 54 yards, with a very low 2.2 per carry.

Not only did Richardson shine in an utterly forgettable pre-season games where the Steelers offense was without its best players, the announcer said he's beating our Linebackers to the corner. You'd have to be blind not to see his speed and explosivness.

Fitz Toussaint had his chance to shine when we needed him. He fumbled our playoff chances away.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I feel both Toussaint and Richardson make the 53 man with Bells suspension looming. Who is higher on the depth chart I don't know but I feel Toussaint is playing special teams which might make him more appealing to be active on game day than Richardson.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
So Tousssaints fumble cancels out all the good he did up to that point ???

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
SlashSteel,

Cleveland and the Rams seldom make the playoffs, however, Richardson does have 690 yards rushing in the NFL.

How many does Toussaint have? Just 54 yards, with a very low 2.2 per carry.

Not only did Richardson shine in an utterly forgettable pre-season games where the Steelers offense was without its best players, the announcer said he's beating our Linebackers to the corner. You'd have to be blind not to see his speed and explosivness.

Fitz Toussaint had his chance to shine when we needed him. He fumbled our playoff chances away.

obviously I see the race is close I made the thread. But you seem very hell bent about camping out with that fumble. And now you are fumbling around trying to belittle Fitz.

You can trust me that the Steelers are looking at both of their performances

this year

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
obviously I see the race is close I made the thread. But you seem very hell bent about camping out with that fumble. And now you are fumbling around trying to belittle Fitz.

You can trust me that the Steelers are looking at both of their performances

this year

The fumble is what we remember him for. I take it most fans who know his name feel the same way.

If we are to remove the fumble, Toussiant has a very low 2.2 yards per carry.

I can see Toussiant making the initial 53 man roster pending on Bell's suspension. Then I think he's going to be released. From what I've read and seen Richardson is better.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Past haunts, motivates Toussaint

By Dale Lolley
August 21, 2016

Running back Fitzgerald Toussaint is looking to be the Steelers No. 3 running back. - Associated Press
PITTSBURGH – As Fitzgerald Toussaint sat at his locker 30 minutes after the Steelers’ 23-16 playoff loss to the Denver Broncos in January, he felt the crush of the NFL world on his shoulders.

The second-year running back never fumbled in a college or NFL game until that day.

And Toussaint’s first one was a game-changer, coming in the fourth quarter with the Steelers driving in Denver territory. He blamed himself for the team’s loss.

Player after player approached the seldom-used running back, offering a kind word or a pat on the shoulder. It would be all right. Things would get better.

“That was a tremendous help for me,” said Toussaint. “I was down in the dumps. You had guys like Ben (Roethlisberger) coming up to me, DeAngelo (Williams) talking to me. Just seeing that side of it allowed me to get back up and keep going to work on stuff in the offseason.”

His teammates were so supportive because they knew that without the efforts of Toussaint the previous week in a narrow win over Cincinnati, the Steelers’ season might have ended then.

Toussaint had 58 yards rushing and four receptions for 60 yards in the 18-16 win over Cincinnati while subbing for Le’Veon Bell and Williams, both out with injuries.

“Still, it’s a dire situation,” Toussaint said. “You definitely can’t do that in that situation. Whether I did good or bad (the previous week), I can’t do that in that situation.”

Toussaint thinks about the fumble every time he sets foot on a field for practice or a game.

But for a running back the Steelers could very well be counting on again with Bell suspended for the first three games of the regular season, that might not be a bad thing.

The player who didn’t fumble in 510 career carries at Michigan wants to make sure he doesn’t put the ball on the ground again, critical situation or not.

“It’s definitely something I put behind me but it’s something that is in the back of my mind every time I touch the field,” Toussaint said. “I had never put myself in that situation, never put the team in that situation. I’m just working hard on taking care of the football.”

Toussaint is currently locked in a battle with Daryl Richardson for the No. 3 running back job. With Bell’s suspension, both could wind up making the 53-man roster to start the regular season. Once Bell is eligible to return following the Sept. 25 game at Philadelphia, the Steelers might not feel the need to carry four running backs.

With head coach Mike Tomlin holding Bell and Williams out of the first two preseason games, Toussaint and Richardson have gotten ample opportunities to impress. Richardson has gained 59 yards on 21 carries (2.8-yard average) and Toussaint has 34 on 10 tries (3.40). Neither has scored a touchdown.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how they work to minimize known weaknesses and show consistency in areas of strength,” Tomlin said. “Fitzgerald Toussaint has been steady Eddie from a detail assignment standpoint. He’s added value to his cause by being a participant in special teams.

“Daryl Richardson has done some nice things with the ball in his hands. We want to see more detail in his work. We want to see more participation from him in special teams. We want to see more splash from Fitz.”

Toussaint is fine with that assessment.

He worked hard in the offseason to improve his speed and strength.

And ball security is always in the back of his mind.

“That was a first,” Toussaint said of that playoff fumble. “I’m looking forward to it being the last one.”

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Hard to overlook that fumble at Denver. It burns bad with how ****** Denver was on offense. Not sure we were winning the next game at NE without AB though. May the best man win that 3rd string role.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Sucks that that fumble is the only one of his career.