• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers add linebacker.

doggfather69

Forefather
Reaction score
2016-03-25 11:20 AM | Teresa Varley
Steelers add LB Steven Johnson
The Steelers agreed to a one-year contract with free agent linebacker Steven Johnson on Friday, giving the team depth at the position.

Johnson spent the 2015 season with the Tennessee Titans, playing in 16 games and recording seven tackles.

Johnson was originally signed as an undrafted free agent by the Denver Broncos in 2012, and spent his first three seasons with the Broncos. He played in 41 games for the Broncos, starting six, and had 50 tackles in three seasons.

He played in 57 games during his career with a total of seven starts, and has played in five postseason games with one start.

The fifth-year linebacker has made his mark on special teams during his career with 34 special teams tackles, three fumble recoveries and one forced fumble.

Special teams depth is what this dude is to me. I don't think he sees much play time at all.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
That's ok, camp competition for the 4th LB spot with zumwaldt and fort. And ST help at the same time

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Special teams and depth. He did have some nice spot duty for Denver and seems like a good character guy.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Steelers add LB Steven Johnson
http://www.steelers.com/news/transa...-Johnson/97864a50-a367-4175-aced-6da1b7e564bd

The Steelers agreed to a one-year contract with free agent linebacker Steven Johnson on Friday, giving the team depth at the position.

“I am very excited,” said Johnson. “Growing up in Eastern Pennsylvania, being a diehard (Philadelphia) Eagles fan growing up, you always knew about the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Steel Curtain and the great defense. I am very excited to be a part of this organization and I am looking forward to it.”

Johnson spent the 2015 season with the Tennessee Titans, playing in 16 games and recording seven tackles.

He played in 57 games during his career with a total of seven starts, and has played in five postseason games with one start.

The fifth-year linebacker has made his mark on special teams during his career with 34 special teams tackles, three fumble recoveries and one forced fumble.

“On special teams you are going to get a guy who is like a Tasmanian Devil out there, trying to make plays, just doing what the coach wants me to do,” said Johnson. “On defense you are going to get the same thing, a guy who is going to fly around and make plays. That is what it’s all about. Defense wins championships and special teams are the unsung hero."

Johnson, who took to Snapchat when he saw the team's six Super Bowl trophies, said the tradition was part of what made joining the Steelers so attractive.

“I am looking forward to coming in and putting my best foot forward and helping this team win another one of those Super Bowls you have out there,” said Johnson. “That is something I want to be a part of. Coming here and seeing the tradition and history, I had a good feeling about it. I wanted to be a part of a winning organization because I am a winner. I wanted to be a part of a championship team. I want to come here and contribute any way I can.”

P

POP

More depth. This is the most active I have seen them in FA. They are going for a ring, without question.

awboatguy

Reaction score
Nice low risk pick up. ST guy who could come in in a pinch. He's no Jarvis Jones though! LOL! Just messin'.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Steven, hope to see you making plays out there, even if its just sound, downfield punt coverage

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He is the type you want. Has been around and has started in limited action, but none the less has started. Excellent depth and ST to boot. Sounds like a good person so lets ROLL !!!!

Salute the nation

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Upgrade from Garvin in a similar price range and a guy to grab that 4th ILB spot when Zumwaldt goes down with his preseason injury, solid.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Upgrade from Garvin in a similar price range and a guy to grab that 4th ILB spot when Zumwaldt goes down with his preseason injury, solid.

Not sure he is a upgrade, might even be a lesser value.

I wouldn't even be surprised if he was a final cut. His ST play in preseason will dictate.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
He is the type you want. Has been around and has started in limited action, but none the less has started. Excellent depth and ST to boot. Sounds like a good person so lets ROLL !!!!

Salute the nation

I think I've seen him in action a few seasons ago when he was with Denver. Not saying the guy is gonna be a starter. But I think he can be like Moats

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Is he bad? Lol

Hard to say, I am just not high on him. Titans STs weren't that good.

I would say perhaps don't view him as a lock but more of a wait and see approach....

Reactions: MTC

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Think Garvin may have a slight edge on STs but Johnson more solid on D snaps. For where we are depth wise after losing Spence we are 1 injury away from him being a rotational player...unless Fort edges him out. Dang, I've already got Zumwaltd on IR for 2016...

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Hard to say, I am just not high on him. Titans STs weren't that good.

I would say perhaps don't view him as a lock but more of a wait and see approach....

gotcha. Idk I was a little antsy with the signing

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score