• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Von Miller wants $18 mil!!!

RollRed

Reaction score
$18 million for a linebacker!? No ******* way!!! I don't give a **** if he's LT, Butkus, Ham, Lambert, ...and anyone else you want to throw in there... all rolled into one. There ain't no ******* way a linebacker is worth that kind of scratch or, more importantly, that big of a hit towards your salary cap.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
It's only $4M more than he currently makes with the Franchise tag.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
It's only $4M more than he currently makes with the Franchise tag.

Yeah but that would be each year for 5 years, will he be worth that in three years?

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
$18 million for a linebacker!? No ******* way!!! I don't give a **** if he's LT, Butkus, Ham, Lambert, ...and anyone else you want to throw in there... all rolled into one. There ain't no ******* way a linebacker is worth that kind of scratch or, more importantly, that big of a hit towards your salary cap.

Cue the Dr. Evil reference "1 million dollars!"

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah but that would be each year for 5 years, will he be worth that in three years?

These contracts aren't guaranteed, so It comes down to his signing bonus........ BUT cap hell is in store for that player vs the money he will get. Like you said, three years and a lot can change yet the $$$$ is still a burden.

Salute the nation

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

swal75

Reaction score
He's kind of worth it. I'd kill to have an impact rusher like that on our team, regardless of his cost.

If he plays under the tag this year and gets tagged two more times his pay rates would be somewhere around 17million next year and at least 24million in 2018. Doing a long term 5 or 6 year deal for 90-108million will save the Broncos cap dollars now and will also give them cost certainty for the future and will free up their tag next year.

Basically he can get the Suh type deal right now which will take his number from 14 million to about 7-8 million. Next year he can have a large roster bonus that will spread over the final 5 years of his deal and his actual cap hit won't approach 18 million until either 2018 or 2019.

Last edited:

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Not saying he's worth it, but LBs will be getting those contracts very soon. Justin Houston already counts $19M against the cap. $15M salary this year $16.35M next year and a high salary of $17.5M salary + Bonus in 2020.

Someone will get $18/yr this or next year at LB

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
That is just well timed impact. He had 35 Tackles and 11 Sacks. A very good season. But he was their key player in the playoffs and Certainly the SB. But 18 million dollars for 11 sacks and 35 tackles. That is almost 400k per play he makes. C'mon now.

steelhurt

Reaction score
No way do I pay him that. There is only one position where I pay that kind of money and that's a franchise QB. He's trying to parlay this ridiculous contract demand based on one game, the SB. His regular season stats are good but not that good.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
No way do I pay him that. There is only one position where I pay that kind of money and that's a franchise QB. He's trying to parlay this ridiculous contract demand based on one game, the SB. His regular season stats are good but not that good.

Similar to the elite Josephe Flacco. Had a good play off stretch but NOT so good season. Cash in while yaz can !!!!! PLEASE Denver, do it if for nothing else but the "cap" hell it brings yaz.

Salute the nationh

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Rather have two 9 million $ worth defensive players than one 18M. As slash said, only a QB would be worth that high price

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Hasn't he already been suspended for PEDs? He had a nice little Flacco contract like SB run so who cares how much the Donkeys over pay. But in reality he wouldn't sniff more than 15 a year. And that is me going all in on him.

Reaction score

How many "franchise" QBs are out there, and how many have the hardware to prove it?

Tannehill got a 100 million dollar extension. Is he a "franchise" QB?

I think the better answer is not to waste money on ANY position.

FAB802

Contributor
Reaction score
Players need to cash in when they are the ones with all of the leverage. Business is business. The teams discard them as soon as they get injured or slow down so their window to be in control their money is usually small unless they're a QB.

Spike

Reaction score
Cue the Dr. Evil reference "1 million dollars!"

A Yinzers perfect team - everyone but QB plays for vet minimum of 1 MILLION DOLLARS on 7 year contracts

hahahahahaha

Super Bowl!

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
How many "franchise" QBs are out there, and how many have the hardware to prove it?

Tannehill got a 100 million dollar extension. Is he a "franchise" QB?

I think the better answer is not to waste money on ANY position.

Obviously but if you are going to pay a top guy in any position it will be QB. Its the position with less chance of getting injured and with more longevity. Also a QB participates in every offensive play while an OLB or any other D player for that matter can be worked around.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
My buddy has a belief that the team with the most 5 million dollar players outside the QB is the best. 5 million being the most bang for the buck point.