• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Concussion Protocol: Does it Help Players or Hurt Teams?

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for a couple weeks now:

The league has a concussion protocol. If someone is hit in the head, they have to leave the field until the blue hats test and clear them. A lot of the time a QB or skill player is the one on the sideline fielding questions for a couple series, or a quarter, until they are cleared to come back. Now comes the unintended result of concussion protocol. When a defender intentionally hits a skill player in the head, they now have to come out of the game. At worst, a 15yd penalty is assessed to the defender for the hit with no chance of ejection. Now, in the playoffs, QBs are key. Ben has been targeted in the last 2 Cincy games, as well as our skill players Bell and Brown. Reckless and illegal plays knocked them all out of action, and only one 15yd penalty was assessed.

Moving forward, what is to stop a team from game planning to take a shot at a QB's head. Imagine if KC sends a guy to late hit Brady in the head, early in the game. Brady has to come out for protocol, and the game goes on. At the end of a game, in close games, this tactic actually holds a strategic advantage to a team that is willing to take shots at the other offense's skill players, and especially a QB. You knock Brady or Manning out of a game in the 4th QTR, that game is over. Their backups will not be ready to run the show at playoff speed.

This tactic has already shown it can be effective (by the Bengals). In the future, stricter rules have to be enacted to prevent defenders from using these tactics. New rules such as ejections for intentionally and illegally targeting players, or ejections for illegally or intentionally going for a QB's knees or ankles. Without balance or the fear of ejection to reckless play, this system put in place with the intent to keep players safe, will end up costing that team wins.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I raised these issues years ago... also who is to say a wr doesn't lower his head into contact to draw the penalty? These rules are superficial at best... if you do this teams should be allowed to dress 65 players and have dedicated backups in every role just in case

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I raised these issues years ago... also who is to say a wr doesn't lower his head into contact to draw the penalty? These rules are superficial at best... if you do this teams should be allowed to dress 65 players and have dedicated backups in every role just in case

I agree there should be more active players on game day, however, that many may create the role of 'goon' who goes on the field to intentionally knock out players, while protecting your starters.

Big Ben Rules

Reaction score
That's my thoughts on it to Cope. just send goons out there knock there best player out. who cares if they kick you out of the game. you did your job.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I agree there should be more active players on game day, however, that many may create the role of 'goon' who goes on the field to intentionally knock out players, while protecting your starters.

Which is different from burfict how?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
You could always explore the college targeting rule and eject the player.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed SF448, college has better rules in place to prevent this type of jackassery.

Reactions: MTC

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
You could always explore the college targeting rule and eject the player.

This could work, but they should have a review booth. Have the refs call the booth have like 3 guys look and it and decide if it warrants an ejection.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

I do have to say though. Adding a fighting element to football would be kinda...ahem...well exciting. But then yet. Football teams lose composure fast. So no

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I do have to say though. Adding a fighting element to football would be kinda...ahem...well exciting. But then yet. Football teams lose composure fast. So no

It works in hockey..... ;)

madinsomniac

Reaction score
The option to eject a player for intent to injure is always on the books... refs just don't do it... its like awarding a TD for an intentional penalty to prevent one... they never do it... they don't want to impact the game like that... Burfict should have been toosed in the second Bengal game before it started.... they rarely if ever do it.... hell when Jackass Seymor Punched Ben in the mouth was the last ejection I remember in a steeler game...

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
It works in hockey..... ;)

Yeah it does. I think it can work in football if the team allows the instigators at it. One thing with football is players will have their teammates back. I think we would see half the team fighting lol. It would be the football version of slapshot

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah it does. I think it can work in football if the team allows the instigators at it. One thing with football is players will have their teammates back. I think we would see half the team fighting lol. It would be the football version of slapshot

Too bad they didn't test it in the XFL...

Supersteeler

Reaction score
The rule is there for one reason and one reason only. To protect the league pocketbooks in the future from current and former player lawsuits.

nellie bly

Reaction score
I have an idea. And it shouldn't be controversial. Allow a team to employ more players. Then drop the 1st. string 2nd. string deal. Everybody is first string. Then rotate players.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
I think players should be ejected for targeting like the college rule as noted. It takes away anyone who is willing to knock out an opponent for their own team's benefit. This is the new NFL. The CTE and concussion lawsuits have made the NFL very conscious of head trauma and they are only going to get more protective of players over time. Whether we like it or not, the game has changed significantly.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
Reset the rules to 1989. Make everyone sign a waiver. Let the men be men and wussies play checkers or what ever.

Heard howie long on the radio today (rassillo/kannell show) Im paraphrasing here but in a nut shell Long says guys like Burfict and Jones would just be a couple of guys in the 70's and 80's. Their antics wouldn't have garnered them any fame and the truly cheap stuff and lack of respect for the game/opponents would mean that EVERY team would have it out for them. The players would have taken care of these two clowns themselves back in the day.

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score
The rule is there for one reason and one reason only. To protect the league pocketbooks in the future from current and former player lawsuits.

I agree but what happens when someone like burfisuckadick puts someone in a wheel chair or actually kills someone? you can't hide the fact he has 14 PF's without anything but a fine up till now. I don't know if I would play Ben, AB, Bell ect when we face them again and he is on the field, one loss aint the season, but one star could be.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
He's still on his rookie URFA contract. Any fine is going to hurt this ****, and I'm expecting triple digits on Thursday.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Reset the rules to 1989. Make everyone sign a waiver. Let the men be men and wussies play checkers or what ever.

Heard howie long on the radio today (rassillo/kannell show) Im paraphrasing here but in a nut shell Long says guys like Burfict and Jones would just be a couple of guys in the 70's and 80's. Their antics wouldn't have garnered them any fame and the truly cheap stuff and lack of respect for the game/opponents would mean that EVERY team would have it out for them. The players would have taken care of these two clowns themselves back in the day.

Andy Russell was on The Fan this morning and basically said, "Hell no, in the 70's we'd try to take peoples' heads off all the time because it wasn't illegal." I do think he should have pointed out that even back in the day the head shot on AB would probably be flagged for being a late hit though.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Andy Russell was on The Fan this morning and basically said, "Hell no, in the 70's we'd try to take peoples' heads off all the time because it wasn't illegal." I do think he should have pointed out that even back in the day the head shot on AB would probably be flagged for being a late hit though.

Yep it was interesting that he pulled Lambert aside after his famous hit protecting the kicker and told him he couldn't do that **** cause it was going to get flagged....

madinsomniac

Reaction score
He's still on his rookie URFA contract. Any fine is going to hurt this ****, and I'm expecting triple digits on Thursday.

But next year he makes 3 million, and fines are tax deductible... he wont be bankrupt just yet

madinsomniac

Reaction score

Burfict would be a HOF player back in the day, and frankly Id love it if he was on a 90's Steelers squad or before, where stupid and vicious were ok... but teams built their team and their strategy to avoid the middle of the field then so they didn't get guys killed... that isn't true anymore... its more dangerous... and even then you couldn't hit a guy when the ball was past him... late hits aren't new to the game, and ankle twisting and spitting are just lowbrow jackassery. Moreover the steelers and other teams have worked out issues with troubled players before, but the Bengals encourage the stupidity and have a lot of similar players with similar issues so its going to be impossible for them to change that kind of behavior from any one player while the culture is accepted by his peers.

Jones is a proven thug through and through and should have been out of the league for the "make it rain" incident... but then again Vick turned it around... An honestly Ray ray never really thugged it up after his incident as far as I can remember... maybe there was misguided hope that assclown would change too... or at least hide it better...

Also
I remember when that buttmonkey Romanowski out in Denver spit on a wideout in the late 90's... it was national news... this incident(s) went away rather quietly