Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: L. Green......should the Steelers cut ties ?

L. Green......should the Steelers cut ties ?

If this is accurate....we need to move on.

"Green’s cap number was a reasonable $2.4 million last season but goes up to $6.1 million next season before falling to $5.6 million in both 2018 and 2019. If the Steelers decide to cut Green and wait until June 1, they would take on $3.56 million in dead money and gain $14 million in cap space."

Link: http://www.fanragsports.com/nfl/steelers/ladarius-green-one-done-steelers/

Injury settlement

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

I think we will know the Steelers plans with green on the 2nd day of draft.

14M in cap space through three full years, not this coming season. THose guyus didn't do their homework

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/

Green if cut before june 1st would save 2.625M this coming season and would cost those 3,56M. Next season (2018) he'd be completely off the books.
    If cut post-june 1st he'd be on the books for 1.1875M on 2017, 2018 and 2019, the total would be the same 3.56M but spread out

The guy in the draft I think could make Ladarius Green expendable is Gerald Everett from South Alabama. He's a super athlete and is a slot receiver/H-back in the mold of a Jordan Reed or Vernon Davis. Not overly big but fast and can still provide enough down blocks and H-back stuff to be on the field and threaten the run (particularly with Bell).

He won't be a full-time guy as a rookie, but I could definitely see 15 snaps a game. And if we get Martavis Bryant back, sign Antonio Brown and Jesse James remains the #1 TE/blocker/do-it-all guy, how many snaps is Green realistically going to get for his money? We might only need 15 snaps a game from a bigger slot TE.

Everett, because of the small school issue, might be available in round 4, in which case we don't need to spend a premium draft choice to maybe make Green worth cutting (and possibly use his cap space to improve the team elsewhere).

Lifetime

Blog Entries
    I'd cut him or do an injury settlement, I think they'll try to keep him because they still like him better than James. Which I think is a mistake, but....
    "It is not the multitude of ale houses that occasions a disposition toward drunkenness among the common people; Rather that disposition arising from other causes necessarily gives employment to a multitude of ale houses." -- Adam Smith, 1776.

The Following User Likes This Post:

the guy duped us something fierce. cut him

I think if he would have been healthy last year this wouldn't even be a consideration because he would have put up monster numbers. Maybe he is damaged goods, but I would give him another year considering he's twice as talented as anyone else we have at the position.

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

i agree with del, rather draft a pass catching TE and save those 4M to invest them (with some more cash of course) on a vet CB/WR/Edge

Lifetime

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersteeler View Post
    I think if he would have been healthy last year this wouldn't even be a consideration because he would have put up monster numbers. Maybe he is damaged goods, but I would give him another year considering he's twice as talented as anyone else we have at the position.
    As we have seen in the past, the FO is loathe to admit a mistake and prefer to keep ineffective players on the roster and hope they get better. If I was betting real money I'd say they give him one more chance.
    "It is not the multitude of ale houses that occasions a disposition toward drunkenness among the common people; Rather that disposition arising from other causes necessarily gives employment to a multitude of ale houses." -- Adam Smith, 1776.

Lifetime Member

I don't see TE as a need in this year's draft as some. It's unfortunate that Green has the concussions - but, perhaps he can play all of next year. Who knows but God? Behind him we have The Outlaw and The X-Man Grimble.

I think we're ok - but, if a TE is necessary - ya might as well go get OJ Howard in the first...

I would move on and draft OJ Howard with the first pick. TE would be secure with Howard and James. Interesting tidbit. Did you know The real outlaw Jesse James used the alias Thomas Howard. Maybe an omen.
    Steelers will keep him though. They will give him another chance. Poor guy is going to be lucky if he can count to five when he does hang it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app
    Brwady Has Deflated Balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    As we have seen in the past, the FO is loathe to admit a mistake and prefer to keep ineffective players on the roster and hope they get better. If I was betting real money I'd say they give him one more chance.
    Oh for the little amount of time he was on the field he was very effective. His issues are all health, they have nothing to do with his ability. No way would I cut him loose yet. He's not a possession type TE like the rest on the roster. He's a "stretch the field" TE. He just needs to kick these health issues. If he can't do it next year, then it isn't meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    I'd cut him or do an injury settlement, I think they'll try to keep him because they still like him better than James. Which I think is a mistake, but....

Fully agree. We need to cut now and get BETTER TE who plays whole year. If they do keep him then I will pray heavily that he stays healthy not just for the STEELERS but also for his "life's work, after football"

Salute the nation
    If YOUR life isn't offering any smiles, you need to change your lifestyle!!! :)

Blog Entries
    Easy answer. Yes!

I think OJ will be gone before pick 30. You have a better chance at the Miami TE, unless the Steelers want to trade up for him.

but with OLB and CB such a big need, I don't see them trading up this year.
    in order to shine a light so bright, darkness must be present

Cut him at the point where there is minimal dead money. Guy basically stole money from us by not being upfront about his injuries.

I would wait and see. If he can't get cleared to play then you can have an injury settlement and cut him. I'm eyeing a TE in this draft no matter what. Would love to have another Big 10 TE on the roster to go with James, looking at Jake Butt even though he tore his knee up in the bowl game.

but I would give him another year considering he's twice as talented as anyone else we have at the position.
    Hellz ya. He makes Duce Staley look like a rookie in those gray sweats on the sideline.

The Following User Likes This Post: