Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Free Agent rumors and news

Steeler Nation

Marshawn Lynch apparently coming out of retirement and being traded to Oakland.
    RIP CK

Esteemed Throbbing Member

eh. boring.

Do the Steelers realize they don''t have enough CB's to even go into camp? Even if they draft 2, they will barely be able to do anything. They need to bring in a decent FA CB and they just watched all the 1st and 2nd tier CB's get taken along with the 1st and 2nd tier EDGE rushers.

I usually don't get too disappointed in what the Steelers do in FA. But, this year is different. With Ben's comments, I really don't expect him to be around for more than 2 or 3 years and probably only 2. They needed to do something in free agency and they got nothing done. We are still weak and very thin at OLB and CB. The draft won't be enough to fix that.

where can i find a list of available FA CBs?

Quote Originally Posted by TDX27 View Post
    Do the Steelers realize they don''t have enough CB's to even go into camp? Even if they draft 2, they will barely be able to do anything. They need to bring in a decent FA CB and they just watched all the 1st and 2nd tier CB's get taken along with the 1st and 2nd tier EDGE rushers.

I usually don't get too disappointed in what the Steelers do in FA. But, this year is different. With Ben's comments, I really don't expect him to be around for more than 2 or 3 years and probably only 2. They needed to do something in free agency and they got nothing done. We are still weak and very thin at OLB and CB. The draft won't be enough to fix that.
    Don't be a hater you're not allowed to question them at all!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus50 View Post
    Just go find the list of free agents that have signed already, that's where the available free agents went

Richard Sherman anyone?

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/201...-the-steelers/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ealing-star-cb

Having him would put us over the top. DO IT!! Big Ben's time is ticking.

Quote Originally Posted by oicu8ad View Post
    Richard Sherman anyone?

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/201...-the-steelers/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ealing-star-cb

Having him would put us over the top. DO IT!! Big Ben's time is ticking.
    Not sure it would do much. That is a lot to give up for a 29 year old. If he fades like Revis did at that age, it would be a horrendous move.

Any news on if we are looking at OLB Walden and ILB Minter? Both would add good veteran depth and possibly start. Walden is better than any OLB on the team other than Harrison and Dupree. And, there are few ILB's of any quality in the draft. If the price is right, I would look to sign both.

Thoughts?

If they wouldn't even entertain Bouye or Gilmore (who don't have the career of Sherman, but are are top notch CB's who I believe signed for less than Sherman makes) why would they think about giving up probably a 1st and a 3rd and paying that salary?

The Following User Likes This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by zeus50 View Post
    start here

http://nfltraderumors.co/2017-nfl-free-agents-list/

They do have 4 CB's under contract. And I am counting Cockrell because I don't believe the RFA rumors and someone is going to sign him to good money (more than we're willing to match) AND give up a 4th round pick in a cornerback-heavy draft.

From the roster, they are only missing TWENTY-TWO! cornerback snap counts from last season. Twenty-two.

Cockrell, Gay and Burns accounted for 2679 snaps (including playoffs) for 1046 defensive plays.

Now you guys can all say "we need an upgrade!" at the top of your lungs, but I'm not sure the Steelers are quite as desperate acting as you guys. During our 9-game win streak the pass defense was very good. And I think the Steelers are still hoping Golson comes back and contributes to that group.

Yes, I agree an upgrade would be nice. But it is NOT contractually necessary. It's not like we have a hole on the roster. We have our 4 top cornerbacks (counting Golson) from last year on the roster, under contract and pretty cheap (total salary of all four players is $5.5 million - total salary cap for all four players is $7.7 million).

There is solid room for one more cornerback and possibly another to "push/compete" with Golson & Gay, so that is why I agree we are both looking in free agency for depth signing AND probably in the draft.

But I'm not sure they are shitting their pants about one or going to overspend (in either venue).
    Last edited by deljzc; 03-17-2017 at 02:24 PM.

If we don't play any elite qb's I'm comfortable with our pass defense.

Upgrading the secondary isn't "contractually necessary" but to win games and have a chance in hell of beating teams like NE while we still have a franchise QB it is imperative that we upgrade.

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    If we don't play any elite qb's I'm comfortable with our pass defense.

Do they play the Browns 16 times this year?

Quote Originally Posted by deljzc View Post
    They do have 4 CB's under contract. And I am counting Cockrell because I don't believe the RFA rumors and someone is going to sign him to good money (more than we're willing to match) AND give up a 4th round pick in a cornerback-heavy draft.

From the roster, they are only missing TWENTY-TWO! cornerback snap counts from last season. Twenty-two.

Cockrell, Gay and Burns accounted for 2679 snaps (including playoffs) for 1046 defensive plays.

Now you guys can all say "we need an upgrade!" at the top of your lungs, but I'm not sure the Steelers are quite as desperate acting as you guys. During our 9-game win streak the pass defense was very good. And I think the Steelers are still hoping Golson comes back and contributes to that group.

Yes, I agree an upgrade would be nice. But it is NOT contractually necessary. It's not like we have a hole on the roster. We have our 4 top cornerbacks (counting Golson) from last year on the roster, under contract and pretty cheap (total salary of all four players is $5.5 million - total salary cap for all four players is $7.7 million).

There is solid room for one more cornerback and possibly another to "push/compete" with Golson & Gay, so that is why I agree we are both looking in free agency for depth signing AND probably in the draft.

But I'm not sure they are shitting their pants about one or going to overspend (in either venue).
    We need to change our defensive philosophy and scheme. If our guys can't go to man to man coverage than we need an upgrade. Pretty simple really.

You guys are still of the mindset to make a 14-2 team. Of of the mindset to "chase New England".

We don't do that. We are of the mindset to make a 10-6 or 11-5 team. And to make sure we can do that every year. That's all.

If they look at other teams at all (and I don't think they do), then it is only in our division. Winning the division is the only goal. They sell the lowB repuS or bust idea to the fans and even to their own players, but in management, they only care about the division. And they think lowB repuSs will then take care of themselves.

Honestly, I'm not really afraid of what Baltimore, Cincinnati or Cleveland has done this off-season. None of them is setting the world on fire revamping their rosters.

The roster is not set. We still have a ways to go. Let it play out.

You guys are still of the mindset to make a 14-2 team. Of of the mindset to "chase New England".

We don't do that. We are of the mindset to make a 10-6 or 11-5 team. And to make sure we can do that every year. That's all.

If they look at other teams at all (and I don't think they do), then it is only in our division. Winning the division is the only goal. They sell the lowB repuS or bust idea to the fans and even to their own players, but in management, they only care about the division. And they think lowB repuSs will then take care of themselves.

Honestly, I'm not really afraid of what Baltimore, Cincinnati or Cleveland has done this off-season. None of them is setting the world on fire revamping their rosters.

Dont worry everyone, Del will make sure we're allllll set straight with the expectations of the team we root for

Well, the free agent market was never great. I like the idea of Flowers. If I was the Steelers, I would sign him. We are thin and young at that position and even with Gay under contract, I could see how camp works out and keep Gay OR Flowers.

There are very few edge defenders that would work at ROLB (where we need help). It's thin pickings trying to find a good one. We could recycle old cast offs - Howard Jones, Chris Carter. Or double our "old guy quotient" along with Harrison with signing Trent Cole, Dwight Freeny or Chris Long.

But most of the edge guys were out of our price range (is there any you would have paid for at the money they got?)

I don't mind the idea of kicking the tires on Revis. I really don't. Especially if you bring him in and he weighs 200 lbs. again. But that is a lot of money - $8 million.

There are still a lot of guys not on rosters that I would be shocked are not on rosters come the start of training camp.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro...gency-tracker/

Lifetime

Blog Entries

I agree but I DO think they have to retool the team with the goal of beating the Pats****. Do that and they'll still win the division. If not, they'll never sniff another SB. The window on Ben is closing but Brady is going to play until he's 55. The team as currently constructed (including coaches) can NOT beat the Pats**** and we can't count on someone else to take them out of the playoffs for us.
    "It is not the multitude of ale houses that occasions a disposition toward drunkenness among the common people; Rather that disposition arising from other causes necessarily gives employment to a multitude of ale houses." -- Adam Smith, 1776.

MTC