Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers FA news...interesting

Ho hum

Call me when a deal is made

If we sign Hightower I'd be shocked with the money he's expecting. I just don't see it happening not with Tuitt, Villy and Bell needing new deals. Where the hell would this cap space come from?

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app
    Brwady Has Deflated Balls.

The Following User Likes This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by steelhurt View Post
    If we sign Hightower I'd be shocked with the money he's expecting. I just don't see it happening not with Tuitt, Villy and Bell needing new deals. Where the hell would this cap space come from?

And with needs at CB and OLB, to blow all that cash on an ILB would feel irresponsible

I know we need depth and would accept Uncle Jarvis in that role, as long as the $$$ reflects that. Who am I???

Salute the nation
    If YOUR life isn't offering any smiles, you need to change your lifestyle!!! :)

Geez! Uncle Jarvis had four years to prove it and failed time after time. I don't know of one person here who wanted this pick in the 2013 draft. I just don't think he translates well to the NFL. He's simply not strong enough to fight off OL, does not have the moves and has no burst, and misses a ton of tackles.
    I just don't think he has much longer in the League. I wouldn't even want him for depth no matter what the price. He simply cannot play at this level.

Brwady Has Deflated Balls.

Most INtelligent Poster

The Steelers will do what they do...sign some mid level guys who will outplay their contract unlike most of the big name free agents....

Quote Originally Posted by CoolieMan View Post
    The Steelers will do what they do...sign some mid level guys who will outplay their contract unlike most of the big name free agents....
    Like Ladarius Green?

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Most INtelligent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Like Ladarius Green?
    the exception that proves the rule.....

every one fucks up once in a while

when healthy he was damn good.....he was just never healthy

Esteemed Throbbing Member

similar to saying "when Coolie isn't drunk, he's a damn good accountant. Nevermind his tenure at Enron."

The guys at Enron were pretty smart even got a stadium named after them. You must be thinking of when he worked at K-mart before all the closings.

Steelers' free-agent visits to include Pro Bowl LB Hightower

One of the top remaining NFL free agents is expected to meet with the Steelers this week, and the team also is looking at several other more affordable players.

Pro Bowl linebacker Dont'a Hightower, a starter for the lowB repuS champion New England Patriots, would be a replacement for inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons, who accepted a two-year, $12 million deal with Miami on Friday.

But the 27-year-old Hightower is thought to be out of the Steelers' price range.

He reportedly turned down a contract extension with New England before the season that would have paid him $10 million per season. He already has visited the New York Jets, and the Patriots have been trying to re-sign him.

On Monday, the Steelers met with outside linebacker Jay Elliott, formerly of the Green Bay Packers, and wide receiver Justin Hunter, a former Tennessee Titans second-round draft pick, at UPMC Rooney Sports Performance Complex. Elliott re-signed with the Packers later in the day.

The team will visit with former Green Bay Packers and Jacksonville Jaguars cornerback Davon House on Tuesday.

House, 27, could address the team's depth at cornerback. Artie Burns and Ross Cockrell are the starters, but Cockrell is a restricted free agent, and the Steelers offered him only a fourth-round tender at $1.797 million.

Top backup William Gay is 32, lost his starting job last year and was ineffective in the AFC championship game loss at New England.

House was drafted by the Packers in the fourth round in 2011. After four years in Green Bay, he signed a four-year, $24.5 million contract with Jacksonville in 2015.

The Jaguars released House, who was due to make base salaries of $6 million the next two seasons. House only started four games last year for Jacksonville but has missed only three games in the past four seasons.

Hunter, 25, was the 34th player taken overall in 2013 by the Titans out of the University of Tennessee. After spending three seasons with the Titans, Hunter played one game with Miami and 11 with Buffalo last year.

With the Bills, Hunter had 10 catches for 189 yards and four touchdowns. He has 78 career receptions for 1,305 yards and 12 touchdowns.

The only free-agent signings for the Steelers have been internal options: backup quarterback Landry Jones and blocking tight end David Johnson.

Remaining Steelers players on the unrestricted free-agent market are Jones, defensive end Ricardo Mathews, safety Shamarko Thomas, offensive lineman Cody Wallace and running back DeAngelo Williams. Jones was scheduled to meet with the Arizona Cardinals on Monday.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...l-lb-hightower

the team also is looking at several other more affordable players.

and Hightower is not that. The days of fitting 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag is few and far between. These players want paid and will play for Jax or Cev, if they need to.

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet
    #Packers are bringing back CB Davon House, as @TomSilverstein said. House gets 1-yr, roughly $3.5M, source said (while visiting Pitt today)

On to the next bargin CB....

Thought they already met with House. I guess today is potentially the big day for Steelers FA news. We should hear something, good or bad, about House and Hightower by the end of the day.

Well, there you go. We waited too long and didn't even get an opportunity to meet with House.

Would you consider Terrance Newman at 39 years old for our nickel position? He played 743 snaps at was rated 3rd best FA CB at 86.4.

Quote Originally Posted by FordFairLane View Post
    Would you consider Terrance Newman at 39 years old for our nickel position? He played 743 snaps at was rated 3rd best FA CB at 86.4.
    Hell, at this point, we need someone. We have 4 CB's on the team and one of them has never practiced in 2 years since entering the NFL. They should now be bringing in every FA CB left out there. We need a warm body at least for camp and to play during the season.

House got a free tour and meal from Steeler FO and signed with GB. Ouch! Hope it's not a trend. To trot Gay, Jarvis and Shamarko back out there is not inspiring.

Steeler Nation

Quote Originally Posted by TDX27 View Post
    Well, there you go. We waited too long and didn't even get an opportunity to meet with House.
    He was still at the complex, and received an offer from Pittsburgh but decided to go back home to GB.
    RIP CK

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerfan81 View Post
    He was still at the complex, and received an offer from Pittsburgh but decided to go back home to GB.
    Saw that. That sucks. Figured they would offer him up to $4 million. He would be our No. 2 CB instantly even though he had issues last year. Guess our offer was less than $3.5 mil.