Thread: Overtime rule to be reduced

Overtime rule to be reduced

The overtime period will be reduced to 10 minutes for preseason and regular season games. PLAYOFF games will go to full regular time. This will be presented to the owners at the next owner meeting by the competition committee.

SORY I don't have a link.

Personally I think the overtime needs a complete overhaul and go to a similare college type format. The players don't want the extra long game and some could care less win or lose as they get paid the same.

Salute the nation
    If YOUR life isn't offering any smiles, you need to change your lifestyle!!! :)

Steeler Nation

It's an idea the competition commitee is going to look at at the meetings this weekend. Nothing definite.
    RIP CK

The Following User Likes This Post:

10 minutes is pretty short in football. There will definitely be more ties.

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSask View Post
    10 minutes is pretty short in football. There will definitely be more ties.
    Bingo. The one thing this current overtime format has shown, is it increased the rate of ties. When that is supposed to be the thing this rule eliminates.

Also, with the superbowl ending so the other team never had a chance to touch the ball in OT, I'd think the college format would start getting some traction.

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    Bingo. The one thing this current overtime format has shown, is it increased the rate of ties. When that is supposed to be the thing this rule eliminates.

Also, with the superbowl ending so the other team never had a chance to touch the ball in OT, I'd think the college format would start getting some traction.

My thoughts too. Why the hell wouldn't both teams get a shot???? They both played to the tie so thus they both should get an offensive possession. Why would there even be a favoritism to whomever won the coin toss??

Salute the nation

Don't know where these morons get some of these ideas. The game is fine as is.

Most INtelligent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Drink IRON City View Post
    The overtime period will be reduced to 10 minutes for preseason and regular season games. PLAYOFF games will go to full regular time. This will be presented to the owners at the next owner meeting by the competition committee.

SORY I don't have a link.

Personally I think the overtime needs a complete overhaul and go to a similare college type format. The players don't want the extra long game and some could care less win or lose as they get paid the same.

Salute the nation
    college overtime sucks ass.....it is no longer a game at that point just a scrimmage

My thoughts too. Why the hell wouldn't both teams get a shot???? They both played to the tie so thus they both should get an offensive possession. Why would there even be a favoritism to whomever won the coin toss??

Salute the nation
    I like the OT as it is now. In the past, it left the team losing the toss in a hole. The D didn't have the whole field to protect, just a portion depending on how good the other kicker was. It wasn't, exactly, a square deal, IMO. At least, now the team who loses the toss gets a chance. It really is a defend the whole field and push the team to score a TD instead of settling for a FG situation.

Quote Originally Posted by ark steel View Post
    I like the OT as it is now. In the past, it left the team losing the toss in a hole. The D didn't have the whole field to protect, just a portion depending on how good the other kicker was. It wasn't, exactly, a square deal, IMO. At least, now the team who loses the toss gets a chance. It really is a defend the whole field and push the team to score a TD instead of settling for a FG situation.

Isn't this the current OT rule??
    If the coin toss winner scores a touch down on opening possession , GAME OVER. That is what I think,.....correct me if I'm wrong??? The only time coin toss loser gets chance is if coin winner scores field goal or turns it over on downs or a possession change (INTERCEPTION / FUMBLE)

Salute the nation
    Last edited by Drink IRON City; 03-21-2017 at 10:25 PM.

I think both teams should get a possession. Take the coin toss advantage out of the equation.
    There is too much at stake in every game to have it hinge on a coin toss.

Most INtelligent Poster

lose the coin toss...play a little thing called "defense" and get the ball back.......

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Isn't this the current OT rule??
    If the coin toss winner scores a touch down on opening possession , GAME OVER. That is what I think,.....correct me if I'm wrong??? The only time coin toss loser gets chance is if coin winner scores field goal or turns it over on downs or a possession change (INTERCEPTION / FUMBLE)

Salute the nation
    I was comparing current rule to prior rule. Prior rule sucked. O only had to get into FG range. Significant disadvantage to the D and no incentive for the O to go for a TD.

current rule fixes both of those issues. Defense gets to defend the whole field, O is incentivized to get TD instead of FG.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolieMan View Post
    lose the coin toss...play a little thing called "defense" and get the ball back.......
    Wait, Coolie are you saying that the defense gets paid too? And that the defense can sack the quarterback and intercept the ball in OT?

Wow. Who woulda thunk it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfiero View Post
    Of course I'm despicable...

college overtime sucks ass.....it is no longer a game at that point just a scrimmage

I guess I didn't state myself as I intended. What I meant was that each team should get a possession regardless if a TD or FG is scored on first coin win team's possession.

Current overtime is by far better than original but just needs a little tweak.

Salute the nation

If only the league rules allowed teams to play defense...

I guess I didn't state myself as I intended. What I meant was that each team should get a possession regardless if a TD or FG is scored on first coin win team's possession.

Current overtime is by far better than original but just needs a little tweak.

Salute the nation
    I've been on the other side here. I absolutely hate the OT rules, because they are arbitrary. They muddied the waters. Early OT rules, you score, you win. Now it's you score, possibly lose possession and lose when the other team scores, unless they score a TD. Oh and a safety.

Sorry, that doesn't work for me, in a league where defense is hindered by the rules and officiating, we've now moved to a point where both teams do need to touch the ball with equal opportunity to score. I know you college guys hate the college rules, but dammit, it works. It's on equal footing, both teams have the same opportunity, and it's fun to see teams score. This is the equivalent to shootouts in regular season hockey. They are exciting as hell, and you get to see more scoring.

This is a fantasy driven league anyway, what's with having a few more fantasy points in an OT game to win your week, huh? Now that breeds excitement.

I would change the college rules slightly. Teams would start at the 30. If you score a TD, you HAVE to go for 2. I think they only force the 2pt rule in 2nd or 3rd OT in college. It's a good rule and makes for a quicker final.

College football OT is an abomination, it should never, EVER be a method used at the professional level

This rule has never been used properly