Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 NFL Draft Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Not on ILB or Center unless we are talking about a hall of fame player. Pouncey has been injured too often, and replaced by journeyman...and the Steelers win just fine without him. That much is proven. It is my belief that Pouncey has dodged some off the field trouble, and it would not shock me if he was arrested one day. Yes he is very quick and can pull, but he's nothing special as an in line blocker. We use him correctly at least.

I'd rather share shift that cap money to more impactful positions such as Corner or Edge rusher. There is a reason why you see many pass rusher and corners drafted in round one, but next to no centers or ILB's taken in round one. Edge and Corner impacts the outcome of games more so than ILB and Center.

You can get a functional center or two down ILB in rounds 3-4 of the draft.

My issue with Ike and Troy is they both could have been cut sooner, and with the savings on the cap, you could at least replace them with someone better than what we did. I felt the same for Hampton.

I had no problems with letting Wallace go as he was not worth that type of money, but I think Colbert should have taken the 3rd round pick and not matched to keep Sanders for a year.
    Alejandro Villanueva On Maurkice Pouncey: ‘I Am Influenced By His Desire To Win And Be Better’

BY MATTHEW MARCZI APRIL 1, 2017 AT 10:00 AM

The Pittsburgh Steelers recently posted a website conducted with left tackle Alejandro Villanueva conducted by Teresa Varley, which I touched on yesterday in an article highlighting his comments about how the competition for the starting job affected his confidence, and how it took the course of the season for him to cement himself into that position.

That was just a portion of the interview, however, and I wanted to talk about the rest of it as well, not simply because Villanueva has proven to be such a quotable and well-spoken player, but also because it is an important topic about the dynamics of the offensive line room and the group as a whole.

The former Army Ranger called upon his previous experiences in the interview to draw comparisons to his current profession. He likened offensive line coach Mike Munchak to a platoon leader, and All-Pro center Maurkice Pouncey to the platoon sergeant.

“Coach Munchak can say how to block a play, your responsibilities and assignment. He is going to say it in a very soft voice and he is going to say it once”, Villanueva said. “He is going spend all of the time teaching you how to do it, but it’s going to be Pouncey who makes sure you get it done and yelling at you if you mess it up. It’s a very similar dynamic to the military and I think that’s why it’s so effective”.

Pouncey, the Steelers’ 2010 first-round draft selection, has gone to the Pro Bowl in the five of his seven seasons in which he has been healthy and played more than eight snaps. He is not only the best player on the unit, however, he is also the clear and unquestioned leader, the energetic and vocal presence of the group around whom the rest rallies itself.

Villanueva was in just his first season in 2015 when he was called upon to start the majority of the season due to injury. That just so happened to be one of the two seasons that Pouncey spent in the background after he suffered a fractured fibula.

While he typically remains rather involved during injuries, that was likely not the case to the extent that it would ordinarily have been last year because his recovery process was a trying and complicated one due to a number of infections that resulted in more than half a dozen total procedures.

So it was really only last season that Villanueva finally got the opportunity to meaningfully work with Pouncey together on the field, and the novice starter certainly noticed the pronounced difference that such an important player makes when he is present.

“It’s almost like in the French Revolution”, he said of Pouncey, “the guy carrying the flag. That is what Pouncey is like. He is an inspiring, intense player that cares about winning. It’s contagious. I am influenced by his desire to win and be better”.

That is the sort if intangible quality that you simply cannot teach, nor can you really plan for to produce. It is an organic production from the makeup of the team. Pouncey hosts a weekly dinner gathering for the offensive line that Villanueva and the whole group relishes, which he described as “a hallmark”.

That's why we value Pouncey. Besides his play
    Asked to describe the ideal captain, Polamalu said, “Those that walk out for the coin toss at the lowB repuS.”

Steeler Nation

Coach hates Pouncey. You're never gonna convince him that he doesn't suck. Wants him cut immediately
    RIP CK

What time will the Steelers make their first selection?

That's all I need to know.

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Most INtelligent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerfan81 View Post
    Coach hates Pouncey. You're never gonna convince him that he doesn't suck. Wants him cut immediately
    coach is a fucking idiot so his thoughts really don't matter....

Most INtelligent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    What time will the Steelers make their first selection?

That's all I need to know.
    about 30 seconds after Pick #29 is read

The Following 7 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by antdrewjosh View Post
    Alejandro Villanueva On Maurkice Pouncey: ‘I Am Influenced By His Desire To Win And Be Better’

BY MATTHEW MARCZI APRIL 1, 2017 AT 10:00 AM

The Pittsburgh Steelers recently posted a website conducted with left tackle Alejandro Villanueva conducted by Teresa Varley, which I touched on yesterday in an article highlighting his comments about how the competition for the starting job affected his confidence, and how it took the course of the season for him to cement himself into that position.

That was just a portion of the interview, however, and I wanted to talk about the rest of it as well, not simply because Villanueva has proven to be such a quotable and well-spoken player, but also because it is an important topic about the dynamics of the offensive line room and the group as a whole.

The former Army Ranger called upon his previous experiences in the interview to draw comparisons to his current profession. He likened offensive line coach Mike Munchak to a platoon leader, and All-Pro center Maurkice Pouncey to the platoon sergeant.

“Coach Munchak can say how to block a play, your responsibilities and assignment. He is going to say it in a very soft voice and he is going to say it once”, Villanueva said. “He is going spend all of the time teaching you how to do it, but it’s going to be Pouncey who makes sure you get it done and yelling at you if you mess it up. It’s a very similar dynamic to the military and I think that’s why it’s so effective”.

Pouncey, the Steelers’ 2010 first-round draft selection, has gone to the Pro Bowl in the five of his seven seasons in which he has been healthy and played more than eight snaps. He is not only the best player on the unit, however, he is also the clear and unquestioned leader, the energetic and vocal presence of the group around whom the rest rallies itself.

Villanueva was in just his first season in 2015 when he was called upon to start the majority of the season due to injury. That just so happened to be one of the two seasons that Pouncey spent in the background after he suffered a fractured fibula.

While he typically remains rather involved during injuries, that was likely not the case to the extent that it would ordinarily have been last year because his recovery process was a trying and complicated one due to a number of infections that resulted in more than half a dozen total procedures.

So it was really only last season that Villanueva finally got the opportunity to meaningfully work with Pouncey together on the field, and the novice starter certainly noticed the pronounced difference that such an important player makes when he is present.

“It’s almost like in the French Revolution”, he said of Pouncey, “the guy carrying the flag. That is what Pouncey is like. He is an inspiring, intense player that cares about winning. It’s contagious. I am influenced by his desire to win and be better”.

That is the sort if intangible quality that you simply cannot teach, nor can you really plan for to produce. It is an organic production from the makeup of the team. Pouncey hosts a weekly dinner gathering for the offensive line that Villanueva and the whole group relishes, which he described as “a hallmark”.

That's why we value Pouncey. Besides his play
    What does he know? You should know that you never listen to what a player says...

The Following User Likes This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ark steel View Post
    What does he know? You should know that you never listen to what a player says...
    True true what was I thinking

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app
    Asked to describe the ideal captain, Polamalu said, “Those that walk out for the coin toss at the lowB repuS.”

Similar reaction to Sean Davis....he opined he wasn't a good player and needed him benched.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app
    P-38L fan

TMC

excluding the 1-15 range prospect who won't be available....

sorry if some of the questions might be considered repeats...

1 Your best pass rusher with the ability to drop in coverage and not miss a beat.
    2 The FS with the best range.
    3 The CB with the potential to be the best outside cover corner.
    4 WR with the best separation ability.
    5 WR that would be the best fit on the outside opposite AB.
    6 Most explosive TE in the draft.
    7 Best cover capable /drop in coverage ILBer.
    8 Best short yardage/ red zone RB prospect.

(some of the things I have been trying to figure out within this draft)
    in order to shine a light so bright, darkness must be present

Quote Originally Posted by slashsteel View Post
    TMC

excluding the 1-15 range prospect who won't be available....

sorry if some of the questions might be considered repeats...

1 Your best pass rusher with the ability to drop in coverage and not miss a beat.
    2 The FS with the best range.
    3 The CB with the potential to be the best outside cover corner.
    4 WR with the best separation ability.
    5 WR that would be the best fit on the outside opposite AB.
    6 Most explosive TE in the draft.
    7 Best cover capable /drop in coverage ILBer.
    8 Best short yardage/ red zone RB prospect.

(some of the things I have been trying to figure out within this draft)
    1-TJ Watt. To me, Watt is excellent in coverage, twitchy enough as a pass rusher, and uses his hands well to create space to get around the edge. His biggest issue, to me, is he lacks the overall power to engage a the point of attack, shed, and make enough plays in the run game. He can, just doesn't do it consistently enough. Tyus Bowser can do it too, but he isn't as good as a pass rusher or at the point, might be better in coverage though. I think Takk McKinley might be next. He did not drop as often, but he did some, also played some MLB on occasion. Watt is first though. I'd tab McKinley second because he is really strong at the point, a good pass rusher, and I think he can drop. But, if your two keys are coverage and pass rush, Watt.

2-Budda Baker for me. Not only did he run a 4.45 at the combine, he was timed at Washington in the high 4.3s. He is pretty instinctual, so he gets good jumps. He covers ground well. He is a guy I would target because he also plays the slot. He plays strong, free, all your coverages (cover-1, cover-2) and can play in man or zone. Good against the run. If he were 6'1" tall instead of 5095, he'd be your top safety. He is a half inch shorter than Troy Polamalu and Earl Thomas. He changes games like they do as well. But, this draft is very good with safeties. I like Marcus Mayes, Josh Jones, Marcus Williams, Tedric Thompson, John Johnson, and Rayshawn Jenkins. I think all could be significant contributors and potential starters in the NFL. And, guys like Josh Jones, Marcus Williams, and Rayshawn Jenkins are physical enough to walk down and be $backers. So, I would not rule those guys out even if they land a safety early. See, if you get a guy like Baker or Awuzie (and he has played safety), both can walk down onto the slot receiver because both have elite change of direction and both covered the slot a ton. Then, if you have that $backer, even with Mitchell and Davis deep, you have a guy in the box that can line up over TEs. So, your 6 DBs would be Burns (RCB), Mitchell (FS), Davis (SS), Cockrell/Whomever (LCB), Baker/Awuzie (nickel), and your 6th DB as a $backer. That is your dime with Shazier and your 4 DL.

3-I really liked Sidney Jones and I would not be against drafting him still because I don't draft for 2017, I draft for the career. But, if we discount him because of injury...and try to determine who falls outside that top 15...who knows. I mean, the top corners, who is best, who falls, it is so muddy. Best to just quickly run them down because my rankings might be different and my top guy might fall.
    1-Marlon Humphrey-He is a big, fast, physical edge player that came out as a RS sophomore. I think he is 20. Young, Still developing, and is an in your face physical guy with elite attributes. He should only get better.
    2-Gareon Conley-some like Lattimore better, but Conley is polished and rarely makes mistakes. He and Lattimore are almost stamped out the same mold, almost identical in size. Lattimore has better long speed and athleticism, but Conley just does it better, for now, but Lattimore could end up the better pro. Still, hard to go wrong with either. Both are stud prospects.
    3-Mashon Lattimore-for the reasons above.
    4-Chidobe Awuzie-One of my favorite players in the draft along with Baker. I view them as Swiss Army knives because they can help you in so many ways. Awuzie plays outside, the slot, can play field or boundary as well as both safety spots. He hits like a truck. He is 6'-202, runs a 4.43 with excellent COD. Physical, challenges the ball, tackles well. He is Ike Taylor with hands on the edge.
    5-Tre'Davious White-there are other guys I want to like better because White's COD are not great, but I cannot put them ahead of White. He is just so steady and consistent. He gets multiple coverages. He just walks up play after play and does his job and does it well. He is so smooth and consistent, you almost overlook how well he does it.
    I'll stop there, but I think they can find a starter in Quincy Wilson, Howard Wilson, Cam Sutton, Kevin King, Adoree Jackson, and maybe Rasul Douglas.

4-Ryan Switzer, but do you really want another 5'9" WR? As for as high end guys, Zay Jones and Chris Godwin. I built a metric that measures WR quickness as it compares to height and it kind of adjusts for height, so a 6'3" guy that has good quickness could score better than a 5'9" guy that is timed faster. Zay Jones and Chris Godwin put up two of the highest numbers I have ever gotten for WRs over 6'. When they get to the pros, with the right coaching, they will be elite guys, terrors, that can not only handle deep routes (because both are over 6'1" with speed), they also have the ability to run any route because they have elite COD for their size. Both have excellent hands as well and both make contested catches. If I were a team in need of a WR, I would not have issue taking either in R1. In fact, I like both better than John Ross, even though I know he will likely be an edge terror in the NFL.

5-Zay Jones or Chris Godwin, for the reasons I mentioned above. Either have the ability to press deep. Both can run shorter routes and get separation. Both have good hands and make contested catches.

6-Most explosive? You would think it would be Engram with his speed, but I would say David Njoku. Engram doesn't always play to his speed and when he does, he drops some passes. Njoku plays faster than he times and is a physical runner. I mean, could say Howard, but I think he goes top 15. I'd also watch the guy from South Alabama, Gerald Everett, he is really, really good. He is my #3 TE behind Howard and Njoku.

7-Meh, don't really like any of the ILBs in coverage. Jared Davis or Raekwon McMillan I guess. McMillan might be the best fit. He needs to improve in coverage, but he is smart, coachable, could improve. I'd rather draft one of those big safeties and cover. I mean, Obi Melinfonwu could probably become an elite ILB for us. He is 224 pounds. Rueben Foster, the top ILB in the draft, was 229. Who covers better? Josh Jones is 220. Josh Harvey-Clemons is 217. Nate Gerry is 218. Rayshawn Jenkins is 214 and he will hit you. If you really want a coverage player, why not go with a coverage player. But, if you want an ILB, a true ILB, I'd look at McMillan in the middle rounds.

8-The best short yardage RB would be Bell. I'd look for a guy with his characteristics. I mean, if Bell is out there at the 1, are you running him, swinging him out, moving him to the slot, what exactly does the defense trot out? If they go big and heavy, force them to cover him with run stopper. If they keep coverage guys out there, run it. The best thing for the Steelers in the red zone, would be getting a second healthy TE that can play and getting Martavis Bryant back. Then, if you 2 TEs, 2 WRs, and Bell. You can spread the defense with 5 receivers or bring a TE into the backfield and run. It opens up all options to counter the defense. But, I think if you want a thumper, I'd look at D'Onta Foreman of Texas and Elijah Hood of UNC. The Steelers have shown interest in both, both will drop their pads and pop somebody, both have decent hands, and both have some speed. There was a lot of talk about Colbert being at the UNC pro day to watch Trubisky because Fitchner was there. I'm not buying the high end QB talk. In fact, I'm not sold they draft one at all. I have a sinking feeling it is smoke. Colbert was seen talking to Elijah Hood for a while. Hood is 5'11"-232 and ran a 4.58 forty. He is a thickly built stump of a runner than will drop his pads. They also went to Texas to see D'Onta Foreman. Foreman wasn't allowed to run at the combine because the medical team found a stress fracture in his foot. Apparently he offered to sign a waiver and workout, but they shut him down. He is 6'-233 pounds. At his pro day, he was timed in the high 4.3s in the 40. I read someone compare him to Blount as far as style and I can see that a little, especially between the tackles, but I think he has better hands and is more versatile.

The Following 7 Users Like This Post:

good reading thank you very much
    in order to shine a light so bright, darkness must be present

Good stuff TMC....it's refreshing you and Del giving some great observations.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app
    P-38L fan

You know, at corner, I left off some guys like Fabian Moreau, Ahkello Witherspoon, and Damontae Kazee. Then there are guys I'm not pining over that could turn out like Cordrea Tankersly, Desmond King, Brandon Faycson, and Marquise White.

And, while many will back off a guy like Teez Tabor, if I can get him at the right price, I take him. I don't think I'll put him on the edge, but if you are playing man under cover-2 or any cover-2 zone concept, he should be able to handle the slot because he is really good in shorter areas with help over the top. While Stephon Gilmore is more athletic, they are kind of the same guy in some aspects. Both do well when on the line and jump short routes. Both struggle in man on deep coverage, Tabor because of speed and Gilmore because of awareness. Tabor is better in off zone though. So, if people wanted Gilmore as a FA, they should not shy away from Tabor. While he has physical limitations, the actual end results put him in league with Gilmore.

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    You know, at corner, I left off some guys like Fabian Moreau, Ahkello Witherspoon, and Damontae Kazee. Then there are guys I'm not pining over that could turn out like Cordrea Tankersly, Desmond King, Brandon Faycson, and Marquise White.

And, while many will back off a guy like Teez Tabor, if I can get him at the right price, I take him. I don't think I'll put him on the edge, but if you are playing man under cover-2 or any cover-2 zone concept, he should be able to handle the slot because he is really good in shorter areas with help over the top. While Stephon Gilmore is more athletic, they are kind of the same guy in some aspects. Both do well when on the line and jump short routes. Both struggle in man on deep coverage, Tabor because of speed and Gilmore because of awareness. Tabor is better in off zone though. So, if people wanted Gilmore as a FA, they should not shy away from Tabor. While he has physical limitations, the actual end results put him in league with Gilmore.
    What I don't get is we don't have the personal to man up. It seems every team we play against mans up on us on third and short to medium...Every team.,,but we can't do it. This has been a problem for YEARS. Not just last year. So we continue to draft guys that can't man up.....aside from Burns I guess. Why did it take so long? Bring in a mid tier FA. Do something so you can throw a man to man look at teams in certain situations. I honestly think the whole board is tired of bitching about it. As fans we see it as a major issue but our FO and coaching staff obviously doesn't for what ever reason. What's your take TMC?
    Quote Originally Posted by stillwright View Post
    Wait...are you talking about yourself or paperclip?

Super Dave: I am a(Super) contributor with an up to date subscription. I just never whined about the tag.

You should stick to talking football........

Quote Originally Posted by stillwright View Post
    What I don't get is we don't have the personal to man up. It seems every team we play against mans up on us on third and short to medium...Every team.,,but we can't do it. This has been a problem for YEARS. Not just last year. So we continue to draft guys that can't man up.....aside from Burns I guess. Why did it take so long? Bring in a mid tier FA. Do something so you can throw a man to man look at teams in certain situations. I honestly think the whole board is tired of bitching about it. As fans we see it as a major issue but our FO and coaching staff obviously doesn't for what ever reason. What's your take TMC?
    LeBeau believed very strongly in zone coverage. The Post-Gazette had an article where they were talking to Carnell Lake about the secondary. Under LeBeau, they could not play rookies because his defenses would have man/zone concepts where a CB was lined up in off coverage, giving a zone look, and depending on the route, he could have to switch to man. Or, they would have to switch players mid-routes, and young players got confused. So, it took them a while to assimilate. Under Butler, that has changed. They are playing more straight zone, more straight man, less complex schemes. Here is the article and a quote:
    http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...eelers-defense
    "In LeBeau’s fire-zone defensive packages, cornerbacks had to pass receivers off to other corners or safeties in what Lake termed “a man-zone.” It was a scheme veteran corners and safeties worked to perfection, but it was difficult for younger players to assimilate.
    “You may be passing your guy to another guy and picking up someone else and that’s where it starts to get tricky — when do I do that, how do I do that, understanding the circumstances I do that. There’s a lot of things involved that goes with that
    .”

In addition to that, here is what Butler states about the defense prior to 2015: “What we will get this week is stuff that will stress the new defenses that we put in,” Butler said. “We need that stress to be able to coach off of it and correct it.
    “As a coach, you have to determine what they can do. If they are making a lot of mental mistakes you have to simplify it a little bit. We are in the process of seeing what we can and can't do.

Last off season, Jones and Heyward said this:
    "He tweaked the defense into things he likes," outside linebacker and 2013 first-rounder Jarvis Jones said last November, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "We still have many of the old concepts, but (Butler) has simplified things so we can play faster and communicate better."

Defensive end Cam Heyward added: "There were times in the past when we sat more on blocks, and let the linebackers make plays. In [Butler's] defense, we (defensive linemen) have more freedom. ... There are lot more blitzes involved, and there are more opportunities to execute one-on-ones. When we win the one-on-ones, we're a much better, successful team, and that's nothing against Coach LeBeau's defenses."

Tomlin stated this prior to the season: "We're all limited schematically, in terms of what we want to do. I think anybody that's an architect of football schematics, you have what you want to do, a vision of what you want to do, and then you have the reality. And the reality is usually associated with the abilities of the players that you have, the amount of time, or your ability to teach and the way that your opponent stresses you."

So, there has been a significant change since Butler left. I'm not so sure what is taking so long. This is heading into the 3rd season under Butler. I don't consider revamping a defense in 3 years a long time. I don't really disagree with them doing what they did prior to that either because LeBeau had a pretty good system for a long time. But, when he left, they started rebuilding and making changes. That takes time. It isn't some 10-year run for Butler because he wasn't the shot caller on defense, he coached LBers. Since Butler was made DC, they have drafted Golson in the 2nd and Burns/Davis 1/2. Both Burns and Davis played man coverage in college.

Butler changed the why the front four attack. They can 2-gap, don't do it as much. Shazier isn't your big thumping ILB. Davis is more coverage than downhill run stopper. They just have to continue moving towards DBs that are what they need, and I don't think that is finding a pure man corner or a pure zone corner, it is finding a guy that can handle man coverage but is also capable of playing in zones, so Butler can continue to implement multiple defensive schemes, from 3 man fronts to four man fronts, from 4 linebackers to 3 to 2 if needed and corners that can play Cover-1 to Cover-4, man to zone. They want their defense to have the ability to match up to whatever offensive scheme trots out on the field. That is a monumental feat, but with Tuitt, Heyward, Hargrave, Dupree, Shazier, Burns, and Davis, they are a handful of guys away from having a young defense with guys that can do a massive amount of things.

So, I don't agree with most fans because I'm not throwing LeBeau's baggage on Butler's back.

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

I never said he sucks. When healthy, he's very good.

I said he's injury prone. He is.

I said he was replaced by a cheap back up and guy off the street with no effect on the Steelers overall record. That happened...twice.

I said he's an average in-line blocker.

I think he's a punk off the field, tweeting out to a fan to STFU I'm rich and you're not, allegedly attacking a 140-pound man and a woman in a bar ( the video disappeared from the bar ).

Last year, again at their birthday party, they were accused of assault by Riquan James, also known as Ricky Vaquez on social media. The accusation alleged that the Pounceys were using derogatory language about James' sexual orientation. They then, according to James' statements, began punching him. Two women also levied allegations at the Pounceys, one who said Maurkice had punched her in the face when she tried to break up the fight and one who said she was knocked into a table covered in glasses and received a two-inch laceration in her leg. Police investigated the incident, but no charges were officially filed against the Pounceys.
    And who can forget his shameless support for a murderer? FREE HERNANDEZ.

After his brother was suspended, he asked the media to lay off him. Sure lay off a bully and a grown man who did wrong.

If that not enough he was at odds with Tomlin when he was tweeting out his injury status. Keep it in the house, please.

A man is partly defined by the company he keeps. And I'll stand by saying the Steelers would be better off using his cap money elsewhere.
    Last edited by Coach; 04-02-2017 at 03:57 PM.
    A 7th ring will come after Tomlin leaves.

TMC, you've mentioned A. Witherspoon a couple times in your comments. Several of the Colorado games Ive watched this year, but now that the draft is allowing player tape to be seen by everyone at any given moment, I see some big time issues with his tackling. Actually, it's more the avoidance of tackling. His coverage instincts and mirroring abilities are tremendous, but the tackling discipline is so awful. Does your tape review show the same? I've been checking on the Colorado corners after Awuzie's name came up as a player to watch. I like Conley a whole lot, but Chidobe is the kid who would be perfect for our DB scheme. he can play anywhere, in man or zone, and no doubt a 1st rounder now. If the pass rushers are gone, and teams reach for 2 or 3 QBs he should be a Steeler.

P-38L fan

Quote Originally Posted by Ike Kelly View Post
    TMC, you've mentioned A. Witherspoon a couple times in your comments. Several of the Colorado games Ive watched this year, but now that the draft is allowing player tape to be seen by everyone at any given moment, I see some big time issues with his tackling. Actually, it's more the avoidance of tackling. His coverage instincts and mirroring abilities are tremendous, but the tackling discipline is so awful. Does your tape review show the same? I've been checking on the Colorado corners after Awuzie's name came up as a player to watch. I like Conley a whole lot, but Chidobe is the kid who would be perfect for our DB scheme. he can play anywhere, in man or zone, and no doubt a 1st rounder now. If the pass rushers are gone, and teams reach for 2 or 3 QBs he should be a Steeler.

When it comes to run support, how do I say this, he prefers to allow others to do the heavy lifting, But, we can find corners that tackle if that is what we are after. They usually play in zone coverage. It is because they are willing to come up and tackle that they find themselves in zones. That, and they usually cannot handle man. When you get outside the top 10 or so corners, you won't be getting guys that do it all. You will be getting guys that are pretty good at one thing and need development in other areas. Witherspoon is a long corner that can get in the face of DBs and play man. He can play some zone too, as long as they don't run his way.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post

I said he was replaced by a cheap back up and guy off the street with no effect on the Steelers overall record. That happened...twice.

I said he's an average in-line blocker.
    You can keep repeating that like a parrot but it doesn't make it true

What player or players would scare you if they were the steelers pick at 30?

For me it would be Tim Williams, Jon Ross, or any QB.