Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 NFL Draft Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by bermudasteel View Post
    I think I'm going to watch the draft w/ Supe, Ark and DBS...that ought get my stress level up nicely...
    will Supe's sex slaves be serving the snacks?

Quote Originally Posted by tapeANaspirin2it View Post
    As i'm looking more at this draft, the more i'm thinking the steelers could be taking a "wildcard" pick in Rd 1.

The obvious pick is OLB or CB and both positions are deep. Seems like a no brainer that one of those will be the pick, but the very fact those positions are so deep is why they may pick elsewhere.

I think the steelers may find themselves in a "dead spot" in their rankings at both positions when pick 30 rolls around. WHen i say dead spot, i mean they are looking at their board and the OLB available at 30 is not significantly higher than they guys they can get in RD 2 or RD 3. With this draft that is very possible. Once the top tier guys are gone, it's very possible the steelers will have the next 5 or so guys rated about the same.

If that situation does happen then there's really only a few things that make sense with pick 30

1. Trade back. Add some extra picks and still grab the guy you want in RD 2.

2. Take the BPA. This is where the wildcard of taking a QB, TE, or RB comes into play.

3. Plan on drafting multiple guys at the same position. The trade back would still be preferable but if you can't trade back and you have decided that you absolutely must get a stud pass rusher this year, then you should plan to draft more than one. You can't draft your second OLB unless you drafted the first one earlier.

From what i've heard from Tomlin and Colbert, the steelers generally don't want to spend multiple high picks on the same position. That seems to also include players drafted in previous seasons that they are hoping to develop. The steelers had always planned on developing their own players and they were patient. THat was a great strategy because they had lots of successes. But then it seems to stop. Their draft picks just weren't developing as often as they had been.

This lack of development seems to have caused the steelers to change philosophy, to basically be less patient and to re-draft positions much sooner.

That's just a long way of saying, i think RD 1 could be a surprise pick, possibly a QB, and with the depth at OLB and CB, they could still come away with a pass rusher and a CB that can contribute immediately.
    One of the things that I have discussed with other guys I trust is this is the draft where you want to get as many picks in the top 100 as you can get. So, don't trade up, stand fast, maybe move down from #30 if the field is full of guys you like and value is there. I think you can get a guy at pick #90 that is just as good as the guy you get with pick #62. It is just that deep.

I'm hoping they don't get cute and surprise us. I'd rather stockpile talent than have them get some brilliant idea to add a wildcard. The draft is gambling, that is certain, but there are times where you bet on blackjack and other times where you play roulette. I'm a low risk blackjack kind of guy.

Steeler Nation

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    One of the things that I have discussed with other guys I trust is this is the draft where you want to get as many picks in the top 100 as you can get. So, don't trade up, stand fast, maybe move down from #30 if the field is full of guys you like and value is there. I think you can get a guy at pick #90 that is just as good as the guy you get with pick #62. It is just that deep.

I'm hoping they don't get cute and surprise us. I'd rather stockpile talent than have them get some brilliant idea to add a wildcard. The draft is gambling, that is certain, but there are times where you bet on blackjack and other times where you play roulette. I'm a low risk blackjack kind of guy.
    I'd be fine with moving back 10-15 spots and picking up an extra pick or two. I don't want them to reach with a shitty QB who is only considered a top QB prospect because of how shitty the class is... I don't think we need a WR/RB/TE either. The pick has to be defense. The first 4 should be defense. Have to find some edge rushers, and secondary.
    RIP CK

We haven't traded much with our top picks in the Tombert era. That is especially true of potential trade back offers (which have been there based on picks very close around us the last couple of drafts). If anything because this draft is deep, the only thing they might consider is a Landry Jones type move in round 4 for a guy they really like and you might see them trade a future 3rd rounder. That is especially true with the generous way compensatory picks were dished out this year.

Based on free agency, I would suspect we get a compensatory pick or two next season so trading the future for now (while not something I really like to do) might appeal to them as we try to really shore up a run in the next two seasons.

If you need say a corner, then HELL NO, the guy at #60 is better than the guy at #90.

Some positions go off the board quickly. By the end of the second round 10-12 corners will be gone. By pick #90, your picking a sub package player or large project type.

This is why the Steelers need to pick a corner in rounds 1 or 2.
    A 7th ring will come after Tomlin leaves.

They are bringing him in for a visit. I don't think he would be visiting if they were not considering him. I think the first place you try him is at CB. He is pretty good in man coverage. Surprisingly good for a long DB. Then, I think you have to give him a shot at safety before you lock him down as a $backer, but I think he could play that spot and play it well. Might see him do it as a rookie if he cannot handle corner.

I think there is a good shot that Rivers lasts until 62. Again, heavy draft, he is a small school guy, and while he has some decent film, there are also times where he gets stuck on blockers and that is at a lower level. He has some things to learn. So, yeah, I can see it. Remember, there are guys like Charles Harris, Lawson, McKinley, Watt, Bowser, Willis, and others that could go ahead of him. He probably won't interest many 4-3 teams. As for Willis, I'm not as big a fan. He does not play to his measurables at all. He looks big and stiff on film to me, much more so than say, Takk McKinley or Carl Lawson. If he played to his workout numbers, he'd go first round.

Now, if I were absolutely certain that Rivers would make it to #62, I go DB in the first round without batting an eye. But, the fear is, you go DB first, the edge rushers that fit a 3-4 could dry up quickly. It really all depends on how the first round unfolds. If we are sitting there at #30 and Harris, McKinley, Watt, Lawson, Willis, and Rivers are there, I go DB. If 2-3 are gone, you better get your guy.
    if the value is there at 1.30 for a blue-chip CB, I would do it.
    you can always hope one of the 3-5 OLB's you like are still there at 2.62.
    if there is a run on them, be prepared to trade up with a 4th or so.

Quote Originally Posted by kev4heels View Post
    if the value is there at 1.30 for a blue-chip CB, I would do it.
    you can always hope one of the 3-5 OLB's you like are still there at 2.62.
    if there is a run on them, be prepared to trade up with a 4th or so.
    Yep I agree with tape's "wild card" assessment on this one - it's all going to depend on the players on the board. I think this draft, more so than any of our drafts in the past several years, the Steelers will look to take the best player available on their board in round 1. If that matches with the greatest positional needs, great, but it won't have to given the depth at OLB and DB. I can't lie though, I'd love to see 2 of the first 3 picks be a DB and an OLB, and I think they will ultimately go that route. But in ROUND 1, if the BPA is not either one of those positions, their pick may be a jaw-dropper

Quote Originally Posted by AggieSteel View Post
    Yep I agree with tape's "wild card" assessment on this one - it's all going to depend on the players on the board. I think this draft, more so than any of our drafts in the past several years, the Steelers will look to take the best player available on their board in round 1. If that matches with the greatest positional needs, great, but it won't have to given the depth at OLB and DB. I can't lie though, I'd love to see 2 of the first 3 picks be a DB and an OLB, and I think they will ultimately go that route. But in ROUND 1, if the BPA is not either one of those positions, their pick may be a jaw-dropper
    As long as it is oj Howard I'm fine with it haha

Quote Originally Posted by AggieSteel View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if they go TE first. WR is also possible. As long as they are not drafting a QB or OL in the first, I'll be OK with the pick.

I like the idea of trading back and in fact I was pissed the Steelers didn't jump on the Broncos trade when WJIII was taken right ahead of them. Of course staying and taking Burns has worked out very well so far. But if we are sitting at 30 and there's TJ Watt, Takk, Cunningham, Bowser are all sitting there as edge guys and the Browns want to get Watson or Trubisky who are sitting their at 30 and they offer maybe their 4th (108) or even offers to instead get our 30th and 94th for their 33rd and 65th I would do it.

The Following User Likes This Post:

Esteemed Throbbing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    If you need say a corner, then HELL NO, the guy at #60 is better than the guy at #90.

Some positions go off the board quickly. By the end of the second round 10-12 corners will be gone. By pick #90, your picking a sub package player or large project type.

I agree with Cooch here. Look at just last year's draft. Pick 135 was not as good as Pick 1.

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Trade back with Cleveland or San Fran in rd 2. Get an extra early 3rd rounder. Can use 4th if we want to move back up from end of rd 2 to get a cb/old we want.

2a. Lawson
    2b. Fabian Moreau
    3a (from Browns) WR/or OLB
    3b. Cam Sutton
    3b. TE, maybe Kittle
    4. RB

Esteemed Throbbing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Litos View Post
    will Supe's sex slaves be serving the snacks?
    ark got a new spiked collar.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post

See, this is why you get blasted so much. You really don't think before you type. I agree that 10-12 corners could be gone by pick #62. So, who are the top 12 corners?
    1-Marlon Humphrey
    2-Gareon Conley
    3-Marshon Lattimore
    4-TreDavious White
    5-Chidobe Awuzie
    6-Kevin King
    7-Adoree Jackson
    8-Quincy Wilson
    9-Cordrea Tankersley
    10-Fabian Moreau
    14-Ahkello Witherspoon
    15-Cameron Sutton
    16-Howard Wilson
    17-Jalen Myrick
    18-Jourdan Lewis

So, if the top 10 are gone before pick #62, are you really stating that an injured Sidney Jones, Teez Tabor, or Rasul Douglas are bigger "sub package player or large project type"(s) than Cam Sutton, Howard Wilson, or Ahkello Witherspoon? I call bullshit on that one. Don't even know if Jones is going to come back fully from an Achilles tear. Tabor ran like shit. Douglas is inconsistent. How is that any better/worse than Sutton/Wilson/Witherspoon.

The Following 5 Users Like This Post:

See, this is why you get blasted so much. You really don't think before you type. I agree that 10-12 corners could be gone by pick #62. So, who are the top 12 corners?
    1-Marlon Humphrey
    2-Gareon Conley
    3-Marshon Lattimore
    4-TreDavious White
    5-Chidobe Awuzie
    6-Kevin King
    7-Adoree Jackson
    8-Quincy Wilson
    9-Cordrea Tankersley
    10-Fabian Moreau
    14-Ahkello Witherspoon
    15-Cameron Sutton
    16-Howard Wilson
    17-Jalen Myrick
    18-Jourdan Lewis

So, if the top 10 are gone before pick #62, are you really stating that an injured Sidney Jones, Teez Tabor, or Rasul Douglas are bigger "sub package player or large project type"(s) than Cam Sutton, Howard Wilson, or Ahkello Witherspoon? I call bullshit on that one. Don't even know if Jones is going to come back fully from an Achilles tear. Tabor ran like shit. Douglas is inconsistent. How is that any better/worse than Sutton/Wilson/Witherspoon.
    I think both of you are agreeing that after the 10th CB it gets a bit ugly and the ideal thing would be to get any of those top 10

1-Marlon Humphrey
    2-Gareon Conley
    3-Marshon Lattimore
    4-TreDavious White
    5-Chidobe Awuzie
    6-Kevin King
    7-Adoree Jackson
    8-Quincy Wilson
    9-Cordrea Tankersley
    10-Fabian Moreau
    14-Ahkello Witherspoon
    15-Cameron Sutton
    16-Howard Wilson
    17-Jalen Myrick
    18-Jourdan Lewis

If 1-10 are all gone....#13,15, & 16 would be good. 14 may be a baller TMC, but his run tackling tape......sheesh.....he does not like sticking his nose or come down AT ALL....I understand what you are explaining about they all can't be polished at everything,but a Steeler DB not being at least willing in the run game? Those are far and few in between.
    P-38L fan

Quote Originally Posted by Ike Kelly View Post
    If 1-10 are all gone....#13,15, & 16 would be good. 14 may be a baller TMC, but his run tackling tape......sheesh.....he does not like sticking his nose or come down AT ALL....I understand what you are explaining about they all can't be polished at everything,but a Steeler DB not being at least willing in the run game? Those are far and few in between.

I like Witherspoon. I do understand the concern about not getting his nose dirty. However, don't you think with Lake, Butler and Tomlin in his grill every day... this will change?

TMC and others... what is your take on Shaquill Griffin? Being from the west coast... I have not seen him play. He sure looked good in the drills at the combine. Maybe end of round three?

Hey TMC what you think of Carlos Henderson from LA Tech? I was just watching some film and he kinda reminds me of our own AB. But I am worried he might be more like Troy Edwards lol

Quote Originally Posted by Litos View Post
    I think both of you are agreeing that after the 10th CB it gets a bit ugly and the ideal thing would be to get any of those top 10
    It is kind of before #10. Moreau is injured. I am not a fan of Tankersley. I'd just as soon have Howard Wilson than Tankersley. Hell, if Moreau is your pick and you are willing to wait on an injury, why not go Sidney Jones. That is the point, not a significant difference from #9 to #14. If you are drafting in the first, you hope one of the top 5 are there. If you are drafting in the 2nd, you probably want to be in the top 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Ike Kelly View Post
    It is a different world now. When you play zone, you have to tackle the runner. If you are in man, you often have your back to the run as a corner. They don't do as much heavy lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by steelpastor View Post
    I like Witherspoon. I do understand the concern about not getting his nose dirty. However, don't you think with Lake, Butler and Tomlin in his grill every day... this will change?

TMC and others... what is your take on Shaquill Griffin? Being from the west coast... I have not seen him play. He sure looked good in the drills at the combine. Maybe end of round three?

The one thing about tackling, you have to want to tackle. For me, it is like blocking. I'll give you an example, I cannot stand Evan Engram as a blocker. He really doesn't even want to do it. I don't know if he will ever be coached up enough to develop the desire to be a great blocker. If you have a guy that won't tackle, you can teach all the form in the world and they still won't stick their nose in it.

I like Shaquill Griffin. He is raw, needs some coaching. One of the things he does that drives me crazy is, when he lines up on the outside receiver, he often gets outside of him, basically giving free releases on in breaking routes. I mean, shit, you have the sideline. Line up just inside, make the in breaking routes fight through you, give the release outside where you have the sideline. You would think a coach in college would change that.....he needs help, better coaching, but with his size and athletic ability, he could develop. I'll give you another guy to watch, Derrick Jones of Ole Miss. Former WR, in fact, he moved back and forth. He did not start for them, but long with speed and great ball skills. Willing hitter. Raw as road rash, but the tools are there. He might go undrafted and I would be ALL over him late. He is 6012-188 pounds. At his pro day, he ran a 4.44 forty with a 41" vertical jump and 11' in the broad jump.

Quote Originally Posted by FordFairLane View Post
    Hey TMC what you think of Carlos Henderson from LA Tech? I was just watching some film and he kinda reminds me of our own AB. But I am worried he might be more like Troy Edwards lol
    I'm not a fan. He drops a lot of in breaking routes and tends to play a little timid when you ask him to get in among the trees. I see him as an edge receiver only. He is a pretty good deep threat because he can run, but he isn't a great route runner and doesn't get great separation on his breaks. He lacks that burst out of his breaks that AB has. I think he is closer to Troy Edwards than he is to AB. If you want an edge, there are plenty of fast, long WRs that don't run good routes and are kind of stiff that can be had later. If you want a guy that can work the whole field, there are better receivers. The guys the Steelers have looked at are long players with speed.

It is kind of before #10. Moreau is injured. I am not a fan of Tankersley. I'd just as soon have Howard Wilson than Tankersley. Hell, if Moreau is your pick and you are willing to wait on an injury, why not go Sidney Jones. That is the point, not a significant difference from #9 to #14. If you are drafting in the first, you hope one of the top 5 are there. If you are drafting in the 2nd, you probably want to be in the top 8.

isn't Moreau injury a lot less riskier thand Jones'? Also his recovery time is less and he will play 2017 for sure (barring setbacks of course)
    and yes, those top 8 are the money picks.