Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patrick Mahomes

Patrick Mahomes

I've seen some chatter about the Steelers taking QB Patrick Mahomes II from Texas Tech, some even saying in the first round. I didn't know much about him so I did some VERY amateur studying (I'm not TMC that's for sure), but I gotta say, I really don't want this kid picked by the Steelers, especially in the first round.

First off, from interviews I've seen, he just hits me as a cocky kid, which I've never been a fan of. I saw him last night on NFL Network, and he and David Carr were comparing who could throw a faster ball. Heath Evans was standing about 12 yards away, and each threw 4 balls to him. While Mahomes did show decent velocity, he was pretty far off, throwing high, on 3 of his 4 passes. The final one wasn't even remotely close to Heath. I realize this isn't an official workout, but he was off on 3 of 4 very easy passes with zero pressure.

Finally, watching tape on him, I do see flashes of Russell Wilson when he's playing well, but I also see way too many times where he throws of his back foot and simply throws the ball up for grabs.

Yes, he put up great stats, but it was at Texas Tech, where their offense is played like Madden on easy. When's the last time a TT QB did anything in the NFL? Maybe I'm wrong, but I see bust all over this kid.

If the Steelers take a QB round 1 in a weak class with glaring needs in the secondary and edge rush they have reached a whole new level of Tombert stupid.

I can take a lot a bullshit, but that would likely be a final straw for me with the ever increasing pussification of the NFL, inept officiating being the standard to continue following as closely as I do a team that does not realize a closing window with a franchise QB would seem to be piss poor time management of my Sundays.

That being said no way in hell we go QB in round 1 and HERE WE GO STEELERS!!!

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

I'd be floored if we draft a QB anywhere.
    Defense!

I could see a round 4-7 QB, but would prefer to just keep double or triple dipping at positions of immediate need. There are a few interesting later round prospects that could have some value challenging Mettenberger for the 3rd spot.

The Following User Likes This Post:

I have no problem with a late round QB to compete, but anything in Round 1 or 2, with this class, would be foolish. The only one I would consider in Round 2, if he took some kind of dramatic tumble, would be Watson.

Steeler Nation

He will be long gone by 30
    RIP CK

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerfan81 View Post
    He will be long gone by 30
    Good, let someone else make that mistake.

Lifetime Member

Is he better than Landry???

Enough with the "If the Steelers draft a QB in the first round..." drama. The draft is anything but a perfect science and several of the best QBs in NFL history were drafted on or after the late first round. Besides, picks of the other positions don't come with guarantees. God forbid the Steelers draft their QB of the future and miss out on their next Ziggy Hood.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it won't be Mahomes. There is talk he will be a top 5-10 pick depending if teams try to trade up to get him

Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    Enough with the "If the Steelers draft a QB in the first round..." drama. The draft is anything but a perfect science and several of the best QBs in NFL history were drafted on or after the late first round. Besides, picks of the other positions don't come with guarantees. God forbid the Steelers draft their QB of the future and miss out on their next Ziggy Hood.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it won't be Mahomes. There is talk he will be a top 5-10 pick depending if teams try to trade up to get him
    I can't see anyway he makes it past Arizona. Dude has a big arm, and it'll fit in perfectly with Arians everyone-run-down-the-field-and-chuck-it-50-yards-down-the-field-offense.

I have a weird feeling Peppers starts sliding down through Rd 1 and the Steelers move up a few picks ahead of Dallas and GB to snag him...not endorsing the move by any means or cursing it either...just have a feeling we throw in one of our 3rds and move up for a player who was slotted fairly high at the start of the draft workout process.

Esteemed Throbbing Member

Mahomes can be had in the late rounds in Dobbs

But Kizer says he will be the greatest QB to ever play the game.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-cam-and-brady

Did he get nabbed for drugs at the combine? Cause, I think we need a retest.
    Last edited by fogdoctor; 04-21-2017 at 12:54 PM.

If the Steelers are going to take a late-round QB, I'd rather it be Nate Peterman. Big kid, good arm, needs some training but has all the tools. The upside, he has a few years behind Ben to learn the ropes. Steelers should not take a 1st rd QB...mostly because none of the QB's in this draft are 1st round material.

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GRBman View Post
    If the Steelers are going to take a late-round QB, I'd rather it be Nate Peterman. Big kid, good arm, needs some training but has all the tools. The upside, he has a few years behind Ben to learn the ropes. Steelers should not take a 1st rd QB...mostly because none of the QB's in this draft are 1st round material.
    Was going to post the exact same thing. I'd use one of our 3rd round picks on him, even a 4th, if he would last then.

Quote Originally Posted by bmoritz View Post
    I saw him last night on NFL Network, and he and David Carr were comparing who could throw a faster ball. Heath Evans was standing about 12 yards away, and each threw 4 balls to him. While Mahomes did show decent velocity, he was pretty far off, throwing high, on 3 of his 4 passes. The final one wasn't even remotely close to Heath. I realize this isn't an official workout, but he was off on 3 of 4 very easy passes with zero pressure.

Yeah, I saw that too and wondered what the hell is this kid doing getting drafted in the NFL???? The last one was a joke. The camera angle lost the ball it was overthrown so high. It was almost as bad as watching Kordell throwing those wormburners. Shit, I would take him off the draft board just from that film alone. lol
    Last edited by Mosh Pitt; 04-21-2017 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosh Pitt View Post
    Yeah, I saw that too and wondered what the hell is this kid doing getting drafted in the NFL???? The last one was a joke. The camera angle lost the ball it was overthrown so high. It was almost as bad as watching Kordell throwing those wormburners. Shit, I would take him off the draft board just from that film alone. lol
    https://youtu.be/6VAlOKHHnEk?t=3m9s

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Mahomes can be had in the late rounds in Dobbs
    And Dobbs is a helluva smarter too

If Mahomes is there at 30, which I doubt, we should grab him.

Quote Originally Posted by fogdoctor View Post
    But Kizer says he will be the greatest QB to ever play the game.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-cam-and-brady

Did he get nabbed for drugs at the combine? Cause, I think we need a retest.
    I will stand by my prediction..

Kizer will end up being the best of this years QB's class..

And although I don't want a QB this year...I would grungingly (is that a word?) accept Kizer in round one..