• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Draft grades from the web. Add them here.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Add what Mayock, Kiper, Walter Football and others said about our draft picks here:

Pro football focus

25. Pittsburgh Steelers: Artie Burns | Grade: D
In a mismatch of skillsets and scheme, the Steelers take Burns with the hope that they can develop his 6-foot plus frame into a dependable player. The problem here, much like the Apple pick to the Giants, is that the Steelers played more zone coverage than any team in the league last year and that’s where Burns has his struggles. His +2.8 coverage grade ranked 42nd in the draft class, and though he does show skills as a man coverage cornerback, but his overall game remains raw. If Pittsburgh plans on altering their scheme to play more man coverage, this pick makes more sense, but at this point, it’s an example of a cornerback’s size and speed moving him up a draft board at the expense of his on-field play.

profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/28/draft-2016-nfl-draft-pick-by-pick-grades-and-analysis-of-round-1-2

^^^ So Colbert picked a guy who isn't good at zone when we play zone more than any other team? Burns is an athlete playing CB. He's neither smart nor instinctive. If he sees the ball coming his way, he's much better. Can he learn? We shall see. I have seen him play. -Coach

Walter football
walterfootball.com/offseason2016pit.php

25. Artie Burns, CB, Miami C- Grade
The Steelers typically take highly ranked players who fall to them. Think Alvin Dupree, David DeCastro and Jarvis Jones. I figured they'd be all over Myles Jack, but they went with a different strategy this year - reaching for a second-round prospect. Artie Burns is certainly a second-round player. He has great athleticism and size, but he's pretty raw for a player. That's pretty much the definition of a second-round prospect; not someone worth grabbing at No. 25 overall. There were better players available for the Steelers, such as Kendall Fuller, Jarran Reed or Andrew Billings. I don't like this pick at all.

^^^ I agree, he's more of a round two type of player - Coach

Mike Mayock
nfl.com/draft/2016/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:pit

Pick Analysis: "Burns is a tall cornerback and he has world-class speed. He's very raw. I know teams with a third-round grade on Burns and others that believe he could end up the best corner in this draft." -- Mike Mayock

^^^ World class speed? Not on his forty yard dash time Mr. Mayock. So teams had a mid round grade on Burns. Yes he has upside. - Coach.

Spike

Reaction score
Coach you glorious *******

you could be my son

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Coach you glorious *******

you could be my son

Or a brother from another mother. I was born after they landed on the moon, but saw the Steelers beat Minny in the SB on TV at a young age. You'll have to guess how old I am.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
draft grades don't mean **** for at least 3 years...who the **** knows how ANY of the draft picks will work out

Yes and NO. I look for the context and reasoning for their grade. For example Pro Football Focus points out Burns is not good in zone, and we play a lot of it. Square peg in a round hole? Shades of Ziggy Hood.

I respect Mayock. He said 3rd round grades from NFL teams. A little scary.

Please post someone who liked Burns!

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Or maybe the Steelers are trying to finally implement their version of the cover two which fits Burns abilities.

ark steel

Reaction score
Some NFL teams while others believe he could become the best in the draft.

OtherS, plural. Maycock isn't saying, at least in that quote, that he had a 3rd round grade on him.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Yes and NO. I look for the context and reasoning for their grade. For example Pro Football Focus points out Burns is not good in zone, and we play a lot of it. Square peg in a round hole? Shades of Ziggy Hood.

he had a third round grade from some teams and others said he could be the best corner in the draft. the talking heads and the idiots with websites don't really know a damn thing. The draft is a crap shoot. Burns might end up being a HOF CB..whho the **** knows. Not all players transition well to the NFL and many who are "sure bets" end up flaming out quickly...so draft grades don't mean ****....

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

this guy did and he kinda sorta knows something about playing the position for the Steelers.

ike1229.jpg

Slaine

Still wants to trade Fu for a third
Forefather
Reaction score
25. Pittsburgh Steelers

Team needs: CB, OT, TE, NT

The pick: Artie Burns | CB | Miami

It’s no surprise whatsoever that the Steelers went with a cornerback. With William Jackson gone, getting Artie Burns is the right move for them. The Broncos have traded up to 26th, presumably to take a quarterback. Paxton Lynch? If not Lynch, then maybe Connor Cook. — Mark Maske

What he brings: Long arms are a major asset and advantage for the third-year junior. His track background has given him excellent recovery speed. He’s not going to be a star in run support but not afraid of contact. I love his ability to find the football in the air and contest the multitude of passes that he does. He might not be a well-known name, and I had him as a Day 2 selection, but he can play. — John Harris

Early evaluation: Pittsburgh needed help in the secondary and added a cornerback who could turn out to be a significant contributor. Grade: B — Maske

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...draft-rumors-likely-trades-analysis-and-more/

Slaine

Still wants to trade Fu for a third
Forefather
Reaction score

ark steel

Reaction score

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
coach hated the polamalu pick too

chipped ham

Reaction score

I love how you conveniently left out the fact that Mayock also said that he could perhaps be the best corner in this class.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I love how you conveniently left out the fact that Mayock also said that he could perhaps be the best corner in this class.

Like no one's going to see the whole quote

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
**** coach and his worthless opinion. NO one here wanted WJIII more than me yet he is one of the ******* who just can't stop up their bleeding vagina. As if he ******* knows anything

ark steel

Reaction score
5 of the NFL.com drafts had Burns going in the first. 2 to us, 1 to KC, 1 to CAR and 1 to AZ.

While stating his quote, Maycock had Burns going at 29.

Walter football graded the Steelers with a C-, so the site is relevant. I believe they gave the Archer pick an A. Jarvis, too. Nobody gave a **** about their opinion then.

obxsteeler

Reaction score

The Steelers,Coach.,and despite your opinion they have a lot more info,expertise, and success than you or any of the draftniks either pro or amateur.