• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pirates 2020

str8liner

Reaction score
12 games in. 1/5th of the season done. 2 and 10. Multiply by 5 ...... the Bucs will end the year at 10 and 50. MLB needs to make Nutting sell the team, but it will never happen.

Stop supporting them and making it financially desirable and Nutting will be gone....Sadly the Pirates will probably be too. I won't support any team that the owner won't commit to winning....

Or at least try.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
A $5 bet will win you $800 if the Pirates win the world series.....

You're better off burning five ones for heat this winter.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Nobody is hitting and Trevor Williams is the only one pitching worth a damn.

They're a really bad team.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
I was originally thinking the Bucs would average a .300 win percentage but looks like they will be pulling a sub .200.

They are performing much worse than I could ever image. This is a AAA team playing major league baseball with a handful of major league level players.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Buccos were part of history yesterday, or so I heard. The White Sox threw a no-hitter against them, admittedly not hard to do, making it the first no-hitter played in front of no fans.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I was originally thinking the Bucs would average a .300 win percentage but looks like they will be pulling a sub .200.

They are performing much worse than I could ever image. This is a AAA team playing major league baseball with a handful of major league level players.

I expect this to be three years of tanking before they start to accumulate enough good prospects to maybe win again.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Local sports radio is all agog about the Pirates maybe tanking (they have to do that on purpose?) to get the first pick and draft pitcher Kumar Rocker.
Pffft, you guys ain't been paying attention for the last 20 years? How many times did they draft at the top or near the top but did NOT take the best player available because they didn't want to pay what he would cost and/or Scott Boras was his agent? So they end up overpaying what is really a second-round pick and not getting their money's worth. Kumar Rocker of Vanderbilt is apparently the stud pitcher in this year's draft which means Bob Nutting won't spend what it will take to sign him, assuming the Pirates draft first. This is why I'm so done with this team.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
The fact that people are still watching this shitshow of a sports franchise is befuddling to me.

If you do you're just an enabler.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Stop supporting them and making it financially desirable and Nutting will be gone....Sadly the Pirates will probably be too. I won't support any team that the owner won't commit to winning....

Or at least try.

That's why I stopped going to games and watching on TV 14 years ago. Thing is, Nutting gets enough TV money that it doesn't matter if any fannies are in the seats. He probably clears more money without fans because he doesn't have to pay any stadium workers.

I think that every pro sports league should have a rule that if you have ten consecutive losing seasons then you forfeit your ownership of the team at a price determined by the league.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
The saddest part is that a few years back, the Marlins completely gutted their team of any talent. They are in the playoffs. The Pirates continue to not only suck ***, but get worse year to year.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
The saddest part is that a few years back, the Marlins completely gutted their team of any talent. They are in the playoffs. The Pirates continue to not only suck ***, but get worse year to year.

I do not think they're even trying at this point. The pandemic will give Nutting an excuse to get even cheaper.

Ke'Bryan Hayes is going to be a superstar, though.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
The Pirates' entire division made the playoffs. Except the Pirates, who finished 10 games out of 4th place. In a 60 game season. You almost gotta be trying to be that rotten.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I do not think they're even trying at this point. The pandemic will give Nutting an excuse to get even cheaper.

Ke'Bryan Hayes is going to be a superstar, though.

I'm sure the Yankees will be glad to have him.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
I saw a stat that the Pirates were as many games under .500 in a 60 games season as their worst ever teams were in a 160 game season. That is tough to do.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The Pirates were in full tank mode and will probably do the same for the next season or two to try to get multiple No. 1 overall picks.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
He probably makes more money with no fans since he doesn't have to pay stadium staff.

The Pirates were in full tank mode and will probably do the same for the next season or two to try to get multiple No. 1 overall picks.
Disagree. They don't care about getting the #1 pick (or close to it) because they don't want to pay that much and/or Drew Rosenhaus is often those guys' agent. How many times in the last 25 years did they have a top 3 pick and reached (and overpaid) for a late-1st or 2nd round talent because they didn't want to pay what the #1 guy would command? Kumar Rocker is supposed to be the #1 pick in the draft but I bet the Pirates don't take him.

Last edited:

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Disagree. They don't care about getting the #1 pick (or close to it) because they don't want to pay that much and/or Drew Rosenhaus is often those guys' agent. How many times in the last 25 years did they have a top 3 pick and reached (and overpaid) for a late-1st or 2nd round talent because they didn't want to pay what the #1 guy would command? Kumar Rocker is supposed to be the #1 pick in the draft but I bet the Pirates don't take him.

To be fair they quit doing that in the past decade and actually took the top guy available when they chose and managed to sign them all. You are 100% that they used to do that as long as they thought they could. I think the public outcry got to be too much. The year they chose Gerrit Cole was the year they started taking the best guy available. They followed the next year with Jameson Tallion and kept doing it thankfully, although the results have been mixed once they have gotten to the majors. Cole sure improved after he got away from Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
To be fair they quit doing that in the past decade and actually took the top guy available when they chose and managed to sign them all. You are 100% that they used to do that as long as they thought they could. I think the public outcry got to be too much. The year they chose Gerrit Cole was the year they started taking the best guy available. They followed the next year with Jameson Tallion and kept doing it thankfully, although the results have been mixed once they have gotten to the majors. Cole sure improved after he got away from Pittsburgh.

Yeah, they're not as cheap when it comes to draft picks as they once were. As you said, at one time, they would not have drafted Cole or Taillon.

They're still cheap as **** overall though, especially when it comes to the actual MLB roster.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

They'll pay to get the best player in the draft and I think will even make some cheap moves to try to win when they're all here. No chance they even attempt to keep them in a Pirates uniform when it comes time for the first big contract.