• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Chase Claypool leads the NFL in DPI yards

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I like how he has thrown out several times about posters not being in the game day thread. as if being in the thread makes you more knowledgeable on what happens in the game. Odds are he likes to be in it so he can pretend he watched the game and pick up stuff from other posters who are actually watching it so he can fake it in later posts....

Damn! We need emojis or a set list of gifs to choose from on this site. I would have gone straight for the one that shows someone laughing so hard they spit out their beer!

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I like how he has thrown out several times about posters not being in the game day thread. as if being in the thread makes you more knowledgeable on what happens in the game. Odds are he likes to be in it so he can pretend he watched the game and pick up stuff from other posters who are actually watching it so he can fake it in later posts....

I wouldn't doubt this being accurate for a second. Just that little bit he watched on Ed Oliver showed me he grasps little of what he does watch.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score

If I have anyone over I am not on the game thread. Even when I'm by myself I may not be on it. Depends on the game. I have a better chance of being on it for night games.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
oh dear lord posting in the game thread doesn't do anything but point out who the biggest whinny ******* on the site are Any bad play brings out the fucktards. Posting in it will not let me see which receivers were open deeper down the field on any given play. You do realize that nobody can see the whole field at one time. Ben is going through his reads on each play and takes the play he sees as the best.

Pulling stats from one game and trying to argue that one receiver is being "forced" the ball too much is idiotic.

for the season, JuJU has 58 receptions, DJ has 49 and claypool has 39 (and claypool was really used much in the first 3 games) Claypool's breakout game he was targeted 11 times while DJ had 1 target and JuJu had 5. Were they forcing the ball to Claypool? No defenses were not concerned with him yet so Ben fed the hot player and had huge results.

Each game is different, each defense is going to try and stop different aspects of the Steeler's offense. Ben is figuring out during the game which plays and which receivers are going to be open when he is ready to get rid of the ball.

If the DC tries to put a safety over the route to the sideline so the CB can gamble, do you think Ben won't read that either pre-snap or once the play begins to develop? And when he sees that, do you not think that one of the other very talented receivers will not be in a less dangerous coverage and Ben will find that guy instead?

everyone knows the short game makes running the ball harder, but as has been pointed out by several posters, those short routes open up the deep shots in the passing game which then open up the running game and the short passing game again. It is a cycle and Ben has to know where the defense is at any point in the game and know which routes to exploit. So far he seems to be pushing the right buttons more often than not.

This is just another example of you trying to use stats to make a point, but totally missing reality.

Through 10 games JuJu is averaging 5.8 receptions, DJ 4.9 and Claypool 3.9...but if you exclude the first 3 games where he was not used much, he is averaging about 5.1 receptions in the last 7 games (just ball parking based on the few receptions I remember from the first 3 weeks...did not go pull the actual stats)

To me, that looks like Ben is spreading the ball pretty well. He is finding the best matchup each game and exploiting the defenses weakness instead of forcing the ball to any single receiver.

As one of the whiny ******* occasionally on the gameday threads, I must say that this is spot on....lol

43Hitman

Contributor
Reaction score

Man, that game day thread can be absolutely insufferable at times. I do post in it some, not as much as I used to, but it can be fun. :lol:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
1. Ben is throwing to the open man. DJ is usually that guy who is open on the quick hitting throws to the outside when those plays are called. His yards of separation per route run leads this team by a comfortable margin.

2. Posting in the game thread will neither increase the probability that Claypool or JuJu gets the ball more often nor impact the game in any other way. Funny thing, often we talk about who was open as if that is a static observation devoid of factors like: "were they open when the ball was thrown?" or "Did the QB have enough time to see them breaking open or was there pressure coming that made him choose the best available option while under duress". Just because you see it on your big screen doesn't mean Ben had the time or opportunity to see it himself. Also understand that the game plan may have called for chipping away at a particular CBs confidence a little at a time until you leave him shell shocked by his inability to stop what you're doing.

3. Actually, it's JuJu and sometimes Chase that work the short zone in this offense. Pretty smart as they are bigger, tougher receivers who could more easily absorb the hits that come in that territory. You're confusing Johnson with AB's tendencies. Johnson works best on the sideline routes; short and quick, intermediate and lately he's been running some very good deep routes. But usually they get him the ball on the outside, in space, where he can use his agility and quickness to gain yards after the catch.

4. Possibly because no one has actually been able to cover Johnson on that pass? If folks can't stop what you're doing, why change for the sake of change?

5. We've seen that happen. In those situations, JuJu has had a great game. Or Chase has had a great game. Ebron is utilized more. You'd hope your QB, after 17 years in the league, could recognize the coverage and react accordingly. So far, Ben has.

Look, I get it. Teams have to be prepared to make adjustments to what they're doing when other teams start to take those things away. So far, no one has taken away what the Steelers do best. That's because Ben has been very versatile with where he's throwing the ball. That's based on his seeing who is open, the timing of the play, etc. They're playing good ball. You don't **** with it.

btw: Signed up to be a contributor using the $8/month automatic billing option a couple of days ago. Just waiting for my badge and perks. $8/month. Not a bad deal.

1. Lots of guys are open. Sometimes for scores! DJ is the easy option I already showed why Claypool needs more targets, which most agree on. Some should be at the expense of Johnson. That's what I'm saying.

2. In the game day thread, most call it as it is, which is why I like it.

3. I agree with this point, HOWEVER I see a danger in term of going to that play often ( Johnson out thrown before he cuts ) and explained how disaster can happen if the DC sniffs it out.

4. It's possible or more than likely the #1 CB is not coving Johnson. I do nothing he's a true #1 WR, rather a good complimentary type of player. Flanked by Claypool and Ju-ju, he sure can beat the #3 corner.

5. Ben is playing well, he's just throwing it a bit too much on a player who has been unreliable at times. As I pointed out Johnson's catch percentage is lower than most and he's going for the short stuff which is easier to catch.

6. Ebron to me is clutch.

Bottom line, Johnson should not be getting 16 targets a game. More like 8-10, spread the action more to Claypool who is far more impactful, Ju-ju ,who's a better runner with the football, or Ebron vs a LB. All of these guys are open too.

Last edited:

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
1. Lots of guys are open. Sometimes for scores! DJ is the easy option I already showed why Claypool needs more targets, which most agree on. Some should be at the expense of Johnson. That's what I'm saying.

2. In the game day thread, most call it as it is, which is why I like it.

3. I agree with this point, HOWEVER I see a danger in term of going to that play often ( Johnson out thrown before he cuts ) and explained how disaster can happen if the DC sniffs it out.

4. It's possible or more than likely the #1 CB is not coving Johnson. I do nothing he's a true #1 WR, rather a good complimentary type of player. Flanked by Claypool and Ju-ju, he sure can beat the #3 corner.

5. Ben is playing well, he's just throwing it a bit too much on a player who has been unreliable at times. As I pointed out Johnson's catch percentage is lower than most and he's going for the short stuff which is easier to catch.

6. Ebron to me is clutch.

Bottom line, Johnson should not be getting 16 targets a game. More like 8-10, spread the action more to Claypool who is far more impactful, Ju-ju ,who's a better runner with the football, or Ebron vs a LB. All of these guys are open too.

First off, you haven’t shown or explained anything in regards to (1.) or (3). It’s your opinion only. The same as what sound is made as a toilet flushes every time. No difference to actuality.

I would comment on 4., but your manuscript butchers the English language. If you are implying DJ should be the 3rd WR, then you don’t understand the offense. Go educate yourself on Cope’s many articles on how all the WRs are interchangeable in this scheme. There is no true #1, 2 or 3.

Oh Lord, “Ben is playing well” but DJ shouldn’t be getting all those targets. Who do you think is deciding on those targets? The player who is making the reads and seeing who the open player is in his eyes. You are a freaking Dumb *** through and through.

Bottom line is you want soooo badly to be recognized from Claypool being drafted that you would question wins for stats. Wake up to reality.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Claypool 39 catches on 65 targets - 60% - 6.5 targets per game (adjust for first 3 games - subtract 5 targets {guess} - divide by 7 - 8.6 targets per game)
DJ 49 catches on 81 targets -60% - 8.1 targets per game
JuJu 58 catches on 75 targets - 77% - 7.5 targets per game
Ebron 35 catches on 56 targets - 62.5% - 5.6 targets per game
Washington 21 catches on 35 targets - 60% - 3.5 targets per game
McCloud 14 catches on 15 targets - 93% - 1.5 targets per game

obviously from the catch per target ration we need to be feeding McCloud more

once again, focusing on stats from one game is idiotic.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Claypool 39 catches on 65 targets - 60% - 6.5 targets per game (adjust for first 3 games - subtract 5 targets {guess} - divide by 7 - 8.6 targets per game)

throw in 3 fumbles (1 lost) by Claypool

now without any stats to back it, I would assume that a slightly higher percent of Claypool's targets are on deeper passes so his completion % should be lower than the others...but it is hard to say exactly how many.

but obviously from the stats, No one receiver is being over used this season....

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I remember Coach's knee jerk angst at us drafting a 3rd round WR in the 2nd round....

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm talking about historically for Ben's interceptions. I do remember a jump ball where DJ's effort didn't look good and the result was an interception. Like you said we need balance. DJ should not have 12 catches when Claypool and Ju have just 4 each. That is what I am saying. I'm also saying Claypool or Ju Ju is more likely to make the impactful type of plays that win games. DJ can make big plays too, he just doesn't do it as often. Yes, the sideline catch was sweet last Sunday.

That's just a bit of an ignorant blanket statement. There's going to matchup advantages in any given game. The coverage is going to dictate where the ball goes.

For example, here's the stats of two back-to-back Seattle games from earlier this season:

Week 7, 34-37 L @ Arizona
Metcalf
5 targets, 2 receptions, 23 yards, 0 touchdowns
Lockett
20 targets, 15 receptions, 200 yards, 3 touchdowns

Week 8, 37-27 W vs San Fran
Metcalf
15/12/161/2
Lockett
5/4/44/0

Their season numbers are relatively similar:
Metcalf
77/48/862/9
Lockett
88/67/648/8

Point is, you can't single out one game and tell me DJ shouldn't have 12 catches, while the other guys have 4. Good quarterbacks like Russell Wilson and Ben will usually throw the ball to whomever has the matchup advantage, and the season statistics will eventually move to the mean. Stop complaining about it.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Blaspheme.

Ben should force the ball into double coverage and appease his stud recievers!

Damn Ben. Have you learned nothing?

obviously he is, that is why DJ had 16 targets

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
That's just a bit of an ignorant blanket statement. There's going to matchup advantages in any given game. The coverage is going to dictate where the ball goes.

For example, here's the stats of two back-to-back Seattle games from earlier this season:

Week 7, 34-37 L @ Arizona
Metcalf
5 targets, 2 receptions, 23 yards, 0 touchdowns
Lockett
20 targets, 15 receptions, 200 yards, 3 touchdowns

Week 8, 37-27 W vs San Fran
Metcalf
15/12/161/2
Lockett
5/4/44/0

Their season numbers are relatively similar:
Metcalf
77/48/862/9
Lockett
88/67/648/8

Point is, you can't single out one game and tell me DJ shouldn't have 12 catches, while the other guys have 4. Good quarterbacks like Russell Wilson and Ben will usually throw the ball to whomever has the matchup advantage, and the season statistics will eventually move to the mean. Stop complaining about it.

Topseed, while I (and others I'm sure) appreciate your fine attention to detail and football acumen -- you're dealing with a dullard. He's even admitted he doesn't watch games. So combine a dullard who's actually ignorant of the facts on the ground as well = Coach.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Claypool nex year can be this years Metcalf.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Claypool nex year can be this years Metcalf.

Easily. Not as fast or brick-****-house-built, but absolutely has the strong/huge hands, jumps & catch radius. And something he has going for him Metcalf doesn't are the little things, like savvy route running (already) and just above the neck type things. I think he could be another Megatron, honestly. If Ben can play at a high level for a couple more years, this kid's going to be extremely special.

It's been so much fun watching him and I can't wait to see how he progresses each week.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
anyone else notice how coach disappears once it is clear he is wrong again......

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Let not be dishonest Collie. DJ was hurt, yet he still leads in targets. If you haven't notice lately he's has been targeted even more often.