• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Playoffs

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Who you got in?

AL is a 100% lock
Clemson is probably next
I think they will put OSU in

I see ND, Cin, and A&M for the last spot.

A&M's coach said a 1 loss SEC team has never been left out, but they did get crushed by AL earlier. ND beat Clemson w/o Lawrence, but got destroyed today. Cinci is undefeated, but played a weak schedule and barely squeaked by Tulsa today. After ND's performance today they are going to be a hard sell. I cant see them putting Cinci in, so I am guessing A&M gets in. My alternate prediction leaves OSU out and puts Cinci and A&M in.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
since they always over rate ND.....they likely get the 4th spot

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
There's only 3 choices for the 4 seed. Notre Dame, Texas A&M and Cincy. Cincy has no chance. ND just got beat soundly by Clemson, but TAM got hammered worse by Bama. TAM gave up 57 to Bama.

The question is who can give Bama a better game and on that question alone it is ND. I give ND a slight chance and TAM no chance vs Bama so it probably doesn't matter anyway.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Who you got in?

AL is a 100% lock
Clemson is probably next
I think they will put OSU in

I see ND, Cin, and A&M for the last spot.

A&M's coach said a 1 loss SEC team has never been left out, but they did get crushed by AL earlier. ND beat Clemson w/o Lawrence, but got destroyed today. Cinci is undefeated, but played a weak schedule and barely squeaked by Tulsa today. After ND's performance today they are going to be a hard sell. I cant see them putting Cinci in, so I am guessing A&M gets in. My alternate prediction leaves OSU out and puts Cinci and A&M in.

Notre Dame beat Clemson earlier... Its hard to argue one over the other when their only losses are to each other I think It will be Bama and those two for sure... then probably Ohio State because Texas A&M lost to Bama and didnt get a reprieve like clemson did... it also played fewer games than Notre dame or Clemson or Bama, its a shame too, cause I think the Big ten was crap this year, but the SEC's only chance of placing two was Florida upsetting bama... then OSU would be out for sure... as it is a high ranked 6-0 OSU team gets in over a 8-0 Cinci squad for sure and a 8-1 A&M team by a hair...

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
There's only 3 choices for the 4 seed. Notre Dame, Texas A&M and Cincy. Cincy has no chance. ND just got beat soundly by Clemson, but TAM got hammered worse by Bama. TAM gave up 57 to Bama.

The question is who can give Bama a better game and on that question alone it is ND. I give ND a slight chance and TAM no chance vs Bama so it probably doesn't matter anyway.

the aggies loss was back in October and while they would likely get hammered again. ND took 2 OTs to beat clemson without Lawrence and just got hammered by them with lawrence

i don't like either team but ND would also get hammered by bama.....so give it to the team that didn't just get their ***** spanked

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Alabama
OSU
Clemson
A&M - lost early in the season, have improved, lost to no. 1, lost to a higher seed, didn't lose to a team below them, ND lost later in the season and you usually fall a lot, blah, blah, blah.

In the end, it'll be Alabama and Clemson anyways.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
This committee has been paid off.. OS less games played one winning team and they are in?????? ND loses the Championship game which they were never in after the missed field goal and they are in??? This committee has made a excuse so OS gets in they make a deal about having Championship conference game and who wins and you allow ND in after being bet up. So why did anyone play these last games if it is already decided.. Texas A&M has the right to scream, even Cincinnati has a voice.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Notre Dame is fresh off a big loss to Clemson. Is their win over Clemson with Lawrence and others in OT better than A&M’s win over Florida? Notre Dame lost to Clemson by 24 but only allowed 34 points. A&M scored 24 against Bama but still lost by 28. The committee already put Cincinnati out of the picture. Florida is arguably the No. 4 team but blew any chance they had by losing to LSU.

If you put Notre Dame in they get a chance against Bama and it’s a juicy matchup with two historic programs. You toss A&M in there it’s a blowout we already saw. I suppose I’m gonna talk myself into Notre Dame.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Notre Dame is fresh off a big loss to Clemson. Is their win over Clemson with Lawrence and others in OT better than A&M’s win over Florida? Notre Dame lost to Clemson by 24 but only allowed 34 points. A&M scored 24 against Bama but still lost by 28. The committee already put Cincinnati out of the picture. Florida is arguably the No. 4 team but blew any chance they had by losing to LSU.

If you put Notre Dame in they get a chance against Bama and it’s a juicy matchup with two historic programs. You toss A&M in there it’s a blowout we already saw. I suppose I’m gonna talk myself into Notre Dame.

That is where I am at... Notre Dame is an independent just temporarily aligned with the ACC... the committee probably won’t see it exactly the same as putting two conference teams in because ND has an independent national following... so they have that incentive .. give OSU to Clemson and ND to Alabama as sacrificial lambs... if either pulls an upset you have a compelling championship story...
If osu end up playing Bama or Nd, You have two huge programs One that will have played a ton more than the other... which is a unique storyline... Almost double...

if clemson plays notre dame its a rubber match game....

if not you get the obvious 1 and 2 teams Playing each other

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Texas A&M
4. Norte Dame
5. Ohio State
6. Cincinnati

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Should be:

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Cincinnati
4. Coastal Carolina

Yes, I certainly think that Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina would lose if not get stomped, but that’s my point. It shouldn’t be about what anyone thinks. It should be decided objectively. That’s obviously problematic, the easy solution is to go to an 8 or 16 team playoff.

I think it’ll be:

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Notre Dame

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
They already announced:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Notre Dame

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
i doubt there will be much uproar since nobody thinks TAM could beat Bama. Nobody really thinks ND can either but they have a pretty good defense and could make it a game at least.

If i'm a TAM fan, i'm happier being left out. Now you get to complain that you totally would have won it all instead of getting hammered.

Ohio State is tough to figure. Their season was impacted quite a bit. They have tons of talent but all that talent hasn't played together for most of the year. If they really have everybody available vs Clemson, they could be a different team.

Clemson should be better prepared than most years because they had 2 tough games vs ND. Most years Clemson cake walks to the playoff and needs some time to adjust against a good team. They handled ND but still had to work for it. I think they blow out Ohio State because OSU hasn't been challenged by a compete team and hasn't had a ton of full practices. OSU's only shot is if Fields makes a ton of plays with his feet.

Early Lines
Alabama -19.5
Clemson -7

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Once again, i think the non power 5 schools should band together a sue the playoff committee since it is obvious that non power 5 schools are essentially ineligible to be selected

madinsomniac

Reaction score
They already announced:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Notre Dame

This was the no brainer decision .. if tgey take A&M then they leave out Osu or ND... if they exclude OSU it’s basically ACC vs SEC... If they exclude ND then they choose a team that got slaughtered by Alabama over a team that split with clemson... this only got tough forctgem had Florida not lost to lsu and upset Alabama...

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Once again, i think the non power 5 schools should band together a sue the playoff committee since it is obvious that non power 5 schools are essentially ineligible to be selected

They should do either an 8 or at least 6 team playoff... guarantee any 2 loss or better power 5 champion... add 1 to 3 at large bids and ensure tge highest ranked 1 loss or better non power 5 school gets in as one at large...

mdk2

Reaction score
So now we get to see Bama stomp ND.. Clemson beat OSU.. and then the annual Bama vs Clemson championship. ***** stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
These playoffs are already broken. I mean, just look at the last 5 years...out of a maximum of 20 teams taking those slots, there has only been 7 different teams filling the playoff tree.

Every year it's Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Notre Dame with the only one-offs being LSU, and Georgia.

You can go ahead and claim they are the best teams but even great teams lose in real playoff scenarios like what happened in the Steeler SB run back in 2005. College FB needs an 8 team playoff adding the Cincinnati's, Coastal Carolina and Texas A&M in the mix. So sick of the same 3 or 4 teams every year....and I'll say Ohio State has now been handed 2 playoff appearances they should have no business being part of.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
With all of the professional leagues modifying the rules, particularly the NHL, NBA, and MLB when it comes to the postseason, it was the perfect opportunity for college football to try out an 8- or even 16-team playoff. There was an imbalanced schedule this year and it would've been the most "fair" way to approach things. Then again, we know that college football is simply about rewarding the biggest name programs--sometimes regardless of their performance on the field.

Based the College Football Playoff rankings, these would be the playoff matchups. (*Note: UNC was 13 and Northwestern 14...I flipped them to avoid rematches. I think the committee would've done this as well.)

1. Alabama vs. 16. BYU
-Alabama would blow out most opponents and that would be the case for this one, but we'd get a chance to see one of the top QB prospects against NFL-caliber defenders.

8.Cincinnati vs. 9. Georgia
-A lot of talk about Cincinnati this year following an undefeated season. If you can prove it against a team that lose to both Florida and Alabama then you deserve to be in the conversation.

5. Texas A&M vs. 12. Coastal Carolina
-Coastal Carolina would have the eyes of the nation as they go against an A&M team that would come into this game overconfident. An upset would be tough, but I'd love to see them have the chance.

4. Notre Dame vs. 13. Northwestern
-Northwestern makes all games ugly. This could be closer than it should be.

3. Ohio State vs. 14 North Carolina
-Depending on which UNC team showed up, this could be a very good game. The Tar Heels have a great 1-2 punch at RB and a talented young QB.

6. Oklahoma vs. 11. Indiana
-This would be a premiere if Indiana's QB didn't tear his ACL.

7. Florida vs. 10. Iowa State
-Florida has a ton of talent and Iowa State is an up and comer. They didn't have enough against Oklahoma, but it's an intriguing matchup.

2.Clemson vs. 15. Iowa
-Not much exciting about this game, but a unique matchup if nothing else.

Assuming all of the favorites win, these would be the next round:

1. Alabama vs. 9. Georgia (I'm assuming Georgia would be the favorite)
4. Notre Dame vs. 5 Texas A&M
3. Ohio State vs. 6. Oklahoma
2. Clemson vs. 7. Florida

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
This is why college football sucks and I will never get into it before they have at least a 12 game playoff. It is a political farce. Cinci and Central Carolina get ****** because Ohio State didn't play a full season. Honestly, the NCAA should have made an example of the Big 10 for starting a month late and keeping them ineligible. Either you're in or you're out. You don't get to back into the season, because you were ******* in September.

Clemson also just lost to ND, we know they aren't as good, so better luck next year.

Either respect all divisions or admit that this is only a 3 division playoff.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score

Neither ND or Texas A&M are better than Florida.

Florida would get the nod, if it were me...they gave us all we could handle last night...

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
the aggies loss was back in October and while they would likely get hammered again. ND took 2 OTs to beat clemson without Lawrence and just got hammered by them with lawrence

i don't like either team but ND would also get hammered by bama.....so give it to the team that didn't just get their ***** spanked

I'm glad you think like me. Florida is that team, IMO...

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Ohio state shouldn’t be in. They only played 5 regular season games, and the Big 10 had to change the rules to allow them into the conference championship. It’s a load of ****. Any other top 10 team is far more worthy IMHO.

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
France envies the Big Ten’s surrender to COVID and have likely filed it away for future reference. B1G is not worthy.