• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pens Hockey 2021?

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Same story the past few years. This team has no identity. They will dump and chase at times but they also turn the puck over at inopportune times. They are still looking for the perfect pass for an open net goal. Just shoot the puck, get rebounds, and get someone in front of the net.

I think they are stuck in the middle. They are too talented to lose a lot but not talented enough to win a cup. Malkin and Sid are getting older but still very good players that you can win with if you have the right supporting cast. They are in no-mans land.

This ticks me off when watching them of the PP or setting up a shot. They will pass it to the guy surrounded by 3 opposing players in the middle or top of the crease and 9.9 out 10 times, lose the puck. Malkin thinks he is on the Globetrotters with the behind the back drop pass or trying to go through the whole team.

I still think they need to trade 71 or 58 to get something for them now and to shake up the dynamic of the team. The stars are too comfortable. I don't expect Burke or Hextall to sit on their hands as this team sinks out of the PO spot. The clock is ticking on this team and they are almost as far from the SC as the Steelers are from the SB. Like you said, they are good enough to be competitive, but don't have that kill factor like TB, BOS or WASH has.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the team is exactly the way Mario wants it. Its like watching the post 90s Cup Pens all over again.

This is what I was thinking. Mario was always opposed to tough guy hockey.
Mario is a legend, but as an owner he needs to realize having some grit with finesse in ice hockey is ok.

The Pens play timid when Ovie and Wilson start skating around hitting. They are an easily bullied roster.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I still think their biggest problem is consistency. They can come out against a team, and pretty much do what they want the entire game, score some goals, play serviceable defense. Then two nights later, they look like they don't belong on the same ice with the team they just dominated two days ago. I understand that you aren't going to win every game, and beating the Caps 4 in a row was gonna be tough sledding, but at least be consistent in your effort. Too many passengers too often for this team to sustain any success.

Gonna be tough for them to make the playoffs without meaningful changes to the roster. I understand what guys like Letang and Geno have meant to this franchise, but they were well compensated for what they did and the Penguins don't owe them anything. I guess we'll see. The season is still relatively young and a lot can change. We shall see if Burke and Hextall have any autonomy to make the changes that need to be made.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
I still think their biggest problem is consistency. They can come out against a team, and pretty much do what they want the entire game, score some goals, play serviceable defense. Then two nights later, they look like they don't belong on the same ice with the team they just dominated two days ago. I understand that you aren't going to win every game, and beating the Caps 4 in a row was gonna be tough sledding, but at least be consistent in your effort. Too many passengers too often for this team to sustain any success.

Gonna be tough for them to make the playoffs without meaningful changes to the roster. I understand what guys like Letang and Geno have meant to this franchise, but they were well compensated for what they did and the Penguins don't owe them anything. I guess we'll see. The season is still relatively young and a lot can change. We shall see if Burke and Hextall have any autonomy to make the changes that need to be made.

Would be interesting to know exactly why GMJR retired. If he retired because he was attempting to move Geno and Letang in an effort to make the team better but was axed by ownership, then I think we are in for a long stretch of mediocrity.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Would be interesting to know exactly why GMJR retired. If he retired because he was attempting to move Geno and Letang in an effort to make the team better but was axed by ownership, then I think we are in for a long stretch of mediocrity.

A big reason why they are where they are in the first place is because Rutherford went off the deep end with trades a year or two after the Cup wins. Destroyed the farm system, bad contracts, and just left the team thin without talent in key areas.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
After two periods, I have to say that we look very good. Jarry in on fire. Sid has three turn overs, but is one fight away from a Gordy Howe hat trick.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
4-1 works me. Way to go Jarry!! My boy Blue got a goal too!
Powerplay still sucks *** 0/4. You know it's supposed to be an advantage. Not with these guys.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
4-1 works me. Way to go Jarry!! My boy Blue got a goal too!
Powerplay still sucks *** 0/4. You know it's supposed to be an advantage. Not with these guys.

But, our PK was amazing again. Only the PP needs help.after tonight.

On another note, when our defensive injuries are done, we might have some legit Dmen to trade for a real net minder.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Very solid victory last night......especially encouraged by Jarry's play.

I have been trying to be patient with Geno...but his play last night was awful.

I think he wants out himself...I say that by his less than usual aggressive behavior at the end of the game in that scrum he got in..
Normally Geno would not take that kind of horseshit at all..

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Solid win! Matheson may have found his game. Him, POJ and Marino are so solid.

Geno with another lazy TO. I think he needs to sit for a game to get his head on straight. He is a liability most of the game.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Testing, testing. New forum format. Pens win again. Testing

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
The game in Tahoe between the Avs and the Golden Knights postponed until 9pm PST due to unusually hot weather.

CA even screws that up.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
That tribute to Sid was cool. so was the whole team coming out in 87 jerseys.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score

Congrats, Sid.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Pens killing it so far tonight with their 4 1st period shots. This team is an enigma.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Jarry is the man tonight so far

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Jarry was amazing tonight!!!

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Well 3 goals on a total of 18 shots. Oh and 1/1 on the powerplay. Jarry was hit with 35 shots and only gave up 2.
Sid with 2 helpers in game 1000..gosh that's a lot of skating, My boy Blue 1,Geno 1 and Letang with 2 goals.
I'll take it. Keep it goal

The 18 shots does suck. I didn't get to see it, so I'm just looking at stats and highlights.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
They snatched defeat from the jaws victory from the jaws of defeat tonite. Typical Pens. This team has definite potential. Just need to get some consistency. Not sure they are capable of that though. Strange team this season.