• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ultimatum given to Ben Roethlisberger.........

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
I think they will get something done by that date ....... but I don't see Ben taking a large pay cut if any..... they will probably just shuffle stuff as usual.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
As a fan, I find it disheartening that Ben seems reluctant to actually give back some money, despite what he has previously said.

I feel that is what the Steelers want him to do and is where the dispute resides.

If it was about just deferring money to a later date, it would have been done by now.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
As a fan, I find it disheartening that Ben seems reluctant to actually give back some money, despite what he has previously said.

I feel that is what the Steelers want him to do and is where the dispute resides.

If it was about just deferring money to a later date, it would have been done by now.

YOU may be part right. I'm waiting to see the out come and facts (if given) before I throw BEN under anything. They have a couple of weeks and it will get done one way ore the other. I applaud Art II on the deadline due to the automatic $$$15mil$$$ due Ben if he is on the roster 3 days after league year starts. Rooney just protecting his team and sending loud message on contract pay vs team memeber. I think BEN is serious on conceeding pay but not pay from past contracts. He isn't going to be paid with past contract money. I can't blame him for wanting as much $$$denar$$$ as he can get but he must be reaistic about that amount and his ability. I'm just saying if they can get him for $8mil this year and $8mil next year that would be near a $19mil cap hit saving $21mill on the cap this year. I'm not the expert craptologist but just putting in my $1.46

Salute the nation

steelhurt

Reaction score
I can see both sides of this. With Ben, this is it for him to ever earn this type of cash. I know he’s made millions and obviously has his family set up for generations but the man will never be asked to endorse any products costing him potentially millions over the years because of his two rape allegations. You never, ever see Ben on any commercial endorsing anything, he’s poison. Right or wrong those two allegations have cost him millions in the past and future so this is it for him and he’s going to grab what he can.
Now the flip side of this the Steelers have a business to run and I think they do want him to take a pay cut in order to try and sign some of their own.
I’m in the camp that says goodbye to Ben and some others like Haden, Ebron, Bince, and even Nelson. I use that money to retain my young guys, Sutton, Hilton, Bud if they can work it out and Ju Ju if it can be worked out.
Then I try and sign the CB From Cincy Wm Jackson, bring in a veteran quality OL. and Jesse James when he’s released.
Draft Leatherwood for LT, Creed Humphrey at Center, the best RB available in the third and wouldn’t be opposed to trying to either move up in the third for my RB.
Roll with Mason under retooled OL, use the FB, with RB from draft, Benny Snell and pick up a F/A RB.
I don’t want more Ben money kicked down the road. That just makes it harder to keep our young guys and sign F/As.
Next year if Mason sucks then we draft a QB in the first round.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score

Not necessarily at all.

The TV deal will have huge impact on cap. But it’s not determined how much of impact.

You can not effectively plan for a known unknown, and especially considering that will become less of an unknown with TV deals rounding into shape, it’s best to wait.

You might *cough* have been more clear on the why if you read contributor articles.... lol...

Support SteelerNation!

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I am still in the camp that Ben will do what it takes to keep playing. That owner speak is just trying to push this along as there is only so much time left before they need to be cap compliant. Plus they want to retain their own as much as possible and bring in a C and maybe a T if nothing else for depth. Ben's contract alone brings this team to under the cap. I also do not want to gut the team when there is new holes to fix. I don't want to create additional ones on top of that. I am not cutting just to cut. Cut the cord if they are dead weight. But I really haven't heard an option that we can really say there is a decline. It is more that there is a few players where high cost doesn't meet production. So you tweak their contract and keep the team competitive. Since we know Ben is coming back you know the will try to kick the cans. I think the true dead weight players are free agents so no need to cut what is already not returning.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This is more fake news and clickbait. Where the **** do you come up with "ultimatum"? And, where, anywhere, does it say Ben is reluctant to revise his contract? In fact, everything coming from Ben and his camp say the opposite The league year starts then and Ben's bonus kicks in then. So, everyone knew that was going to be when they would try to get something done. Art is just stating the obvious, not giving an "ultimatum". Good grief people still after 17 years hate Big Ben and try to gin **** up that just isn't there. They just had their sit down a few days ago so now they have a few weeks to iron out the contract both agreed would be amended. All I can say is WTF!!!!!

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Just one quote from Rooney from 2 days ago. Nothing remotely like an "ultimatum" or Ben being a problem. "Ben Roethlisberger and I met yesterday morning and we had a productive meeting. We were able to discuss a lot of things that relate to where we are and where we want to go. Ben assured me that he is committed to coming back to help us win, and I told Ben that we would like to have him back to help us win a championship. We both understand that the next step is to work out Ben's contract situation." -Steelers President Art Rooney II

Big Ben Rules

Reaction score
I was told by a co-worker that Ben is being selfish and that Josh Dobbs can run Canada's offense. that Ben is washed up just because of the last 6 games. I wasn't about to argue with him(tired of arguing this ****, I'm a fan what they do has no bearing on my life.) I just laughed at him and said maybe we can trade Ben for Wilson.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Ben has restructured his contract how many times? The ownership has never acted as they have in the last month, with the lack of respect for a player that has given his nd tried to help them in all areas in the past. No wonder Ben will not roll over and die just for the sake of Colbert and Tomlin. They put Ben in the corner now they want to act as if all is soo peachy and creamy.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Ben has restructured his contract how many times? The ownership has never acted as they have in the last month, with the lack of respect for a player that has given his nd tried to help them in all areas in the past. No wonder Ben will not roll over and die just for the sake of Colbert and Tomlin. They put Ben in the corner now they want to act as if all is soo peachy and creamy.
I think if the NFL had to give guaranteed contracts like the other pro sports leagues they wouldn't make so many stupid ones with pushing the money out into the future. They signed Deebo for $100 million for ten years but I don't know if he saw more than half that.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I've said BEN is not and should NOT play on past money. The approximately $22mil is from past rolled over contracts and isn't his fault of how ownership has playeded it forward. That money is for play that he has already done. The media acts as though that $41mil cap hit is all being paid to him this season, its not. The most Ben can garner from current contract is approx. $19mil (4mil base salary and 15mil roster bonus 3 days after fiscal year starts).

I would think it would be pretty easy to cut that cap hit in near 1/2. We as fans just need to be patient and let things play out.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
To people asking him to take a pay cut can he even do that? The NFL/NFLPA might have rules against restructuring an existing contract for less money. If he was a UFA he could play for vet min Theoretically. But I'm not sure there aren't rules around what people are asking in terms of reducing his cap on an already renegotiated contract.

Stewey

Reaction score
So we have the worst QB in the division with or without Ben? Now thats encouraging!

Nevertheless, a real case can be made that Pittsburgh now has the worst quarterback in its division. That’s rare territory Pittsburgh hasn’t occupied really since Roethlisberger took over as the starter.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
$19 million for a starting QB who is not on a rookie deal is about as cheap as it gets. Bridgewater ($18 million) and Watson ($10.5 million) are the only two starting QBs--unless you want to count Foles as well--not a on a rookie deal with less "cash" for 2021.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The lowest he can go this year is the vet minimum. Not sure if he will do that or look for an extension to push the money down the road. I know his agent and the NFLPA don't want him to give up a dime (since we now know the NFLPA is telling agents and players to collude against teams so they can't use the reduced cap this year to lower salaries). I hope, at worst, it's a combination of the two. I don't want to push close to $15 million as dead money next year. I hope he takes a pay cut and plays this year for the vet minimum. But, you really can't blame him if he doesn't do that. Marsha only did it in NE because Kraft was getting him money in other ways.

diver

Reaction score
They should get rid of the cap. Problems solved.

We have seen attempts at super teams and they never work out. If some owner wants to spend stupidly, let them. I really think teams who are smart with their spending would continue to flourish with no cap.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
They should get rid of the cap. Problems solved.

We have seen attempts at super teams and they never work out. If some owner wants to spend stupidly, let them. I really think teams who are smart with their spending would continue to flourish with no cap.
Cap is in place and serves a purpose. You don't want certain teams free agent buying up every Tom, Dick, and Harry.

Steeler

Contributor
Reaction score
Cap is in place and serves a purpose. You don't want certain teams free agent buying up every Tom, Dick, and Harry.
Exactly. A league without a cap is not good. Some teams are capable of spending way more than others because of the market.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The "CAP" is a neccessary evil as if we didn't have it you wuld get ateam like new England buying & cheating into championships. ALSO you would have teams like cincinnati not spending yet garnering a ton of money off the nfl. The cap needs to be there but it's the contracts that are at fault. They need gauranteed contracts and NO pushing things forward, no signing bomus and ONLY pay per game. That would keep players from jumping ship mid-contract. ALSO drafted rookies get a 3 year and every
bpdy else from FA to walk on's to undrafted get a 2 year. When said player has 1 year left then the team can negotiate a one year contract from then on. NO signing bonuses / pay forwarded, just paycheck per game. Obviously there are a lot of flaws but it would be a start. Yes there would be some jumping ship once contract expired and that would be ok but hence contract enforced, nothing can happen unless both party's agree to a trade. Suspensions / IR / sit outs all add legnth to contract as that would be time not served. Yes players could make big game checks as pay would all be increased per game to compensate for the old way up front money.

Salute the nation

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Give him a 3 year extension, 15 mil as a signing bonus, since it technically is already his anyway. League min with a shitload of incentives. Cap hit this year 5 mil + min. Dead money next year, 10 mil.