• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Disney and NFL reach agreement on media rights

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The NFL and Disney have reportedly reached an agreement on a new media rights deal that will see ESPN retain Monday Night Football and ABC return to the Super Bowl rotation for the first time since the Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Seattle Seahawks in 2006. Sources are saying the agreement also includes retaining the rights for game highlights, which ESPN requires to fill programming on their studio shows.

Disney was the last major agreement the NFL was seeking to finalize before the league new year though it is unclear as of yet how it could impact the Salary Cap.

While the contract is not officially signed, the agreement is 30% over the existing deal which equates to $2.6B/year. This increase is less than the reported 100% increase agreed to by CBS, Fox and NBC, which will be paying $2B/year for their packages. Disney will pay the the highest licensing fee of any of the current partners ($8 as of 2020).

In addition, Thursday Night Football will move from Fox to Amazon Prime and NFL Network, terms of the deal with Amazon have not been reported. In addition, no announcement has been made regarding NFL Sunday Ticket, which Direct TV will be dropping after the 2021 season.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
If ABC is going to start broadcasting Superbowls again, Disney better upgrade the commentators from the joker's they've had on MNF in recent years.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Keeping an eye out on how it all impacts the salary cap this year -- but I am certain that it factored into how they are going to retain Roethlisberger as it pertains to future years.

Any impact to 2021 will be borrowing against future years, and the key is borrowing because the NFLPA WILL be paying it back.

Last edited:

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
If ABC is going to start broadcasting Superbowls again, Disney better upgrade the commentators from the joker's they've had on MNF in recent years.
Seriously. MNF is a second-rate production and Steve Levy gives the game a Saturday 12:00 pm college game on ESPN 2.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
I’m not sure if I can take Donald Duck doing play by play and Mickey as color commentator. Then again- they might do better than Booger McFarland

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney rehired Tirico to ABC. Al Michaels would be nice but I think he’s retiring. Always thought Nantz was Pat Summerall of this millennia and he’d be great with whoever was play by play, but he won’t leave CBS because of Golf coverage.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Nantzy blows goats, figuratively, in every sense

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney rehired Tirico to ABC. Al Michaels would be nice but I think he’s retiring. Always thought Nantz was Pat Summerall of this millennia and he’d be great with whoever was play by play, but he won’t leave CBS because of Golf coverage.
I doubt Tirico would leave NBC given his status on the network and next in line to be the lead commentator for SNF.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
NBC won’t have SNF after the 2021 season. Disney will, unless the League excluded that game from the new deal (of which no details have been released other than Amazon will stream TNF). If I was Disney, I wouldn’t let that prime time spot go. If the league wants to be greedy, Disney probably would say two can play that game.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
NBC won’t have SNF after the 2021 season. Disney will, unless the League excluded that game from the new deal (of which no details have been released other than Amazon will stream TNF). If I was Disney, I wouldn’t let that prime time spot go. If the league wants to be greedy, Disney probably would say two can play that game.
NBC is keeping SNF. The only changes for MNF is ABC will simulcast some of ESPN's broadcasts and they will be in the Super Bowl rotation.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
That's a boat load load of money and couple that in with the other networks and one can see how the NFL is cashing in on their product. I truly wonder how "FAN" spending is in comparison to pre-pandemic ? I wonder how fan spending will continue in relations to current events ?

Salute the nation

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
That's a boat load load of money and couple that in with the other networks and one can see how the NFL is cashing in on their product. I truly wonder how "FAN" spending is in comparison to pre-pandemic ? I wonder how fan spending will continue in relations to current events ?

Salute the nation

it barely registers compared to the TV money. owners really won't give a **** about that.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
it barely registers compared to the TV money. owners really won't give a **** about that.
Plus Steelers fans buy regardless. We always watch QVC and HSN and who buys what. Steelers products always sell. And these networks know that so they make sure there is more produced and available. Even so they still sell out 99 percent of the time. Only thing I saw that didn't sell was this female fleece jacket that had a microscopic logo on it. just wasn't an attractive product. Other than that good luck buying anything if you wait too long especially the bigger sizes.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

I get that Omar but it is still an accounting and a demographic that can be used as to help predict the direction the league is headed. TV RATINGS are definately the standard but it takes all indicators to help tell the full story.

Salute the natio

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Slash makes a great point about STEELERS fans. Last summer i went yard sale-ing but mainly because of this one classified.

YARD SALE, baby cloths , toys,
womens size 6, men's large, lawn
and garden, STEELER BANNER.

I live a long long ways out of commen steelerville but when I got there (early) there were at least 20 people there all asking about the STEELERs banner.
WE fans are everywhere and definately make a splash on fan items. Unfortunately the banner was a sun-bleached wore out "steeler country" banner and I've got at least a baker's dozen of those already.

Salute the nation

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Not quite so. It’s not just fans in seats but corporate suites & stadium club seats, licensing to buy tickets, fees & more. Heck even naming the stadium rights. Each team is different of course, but to say they don’t give a **** about that goes 100% against the newest Stadiums in Vegas and LA.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Not quite so. It’s not just fans in seats but corporate suites & stadium club seats, licensing to buy tickets, fees & more. Heck even naming the stadium rights. Each team is different of course, but to say they don’t give a **** about that goes 100% against the newest Stadiums in Vegas and LA.
Forgive me for not being specific. I was referring more to general merchandise sales, gen admission tickets and the like. And stadium naming rights are usually drop in the bucket compared to network deal $$$

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Forgive me for not being specific. I was referring more to general merchandise sales, gen admission tickets and the like. And stadium naming rights are usually drop in the bucket compared to network deal $$$

Nobody is disputing your "drop in the bucket" response. A business looks at all possible revenue and doesn't want to drop any. The NFL is king of GREED MACHINE and you dang well bet they look at fan spending, either as the league or individual teams they deffinately keep an eye on it. Gaurantee you they do NOT "just don't care about it" as it's a source of revenue to keep the machine lubed albeit a small lube job in comparison to TV, but none the less it is still revenue.

Salute the nation

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They all suck. Hire someone with real radio experience. Nantz and Michales screwed up 2 calls on 2 of the greatest Steelers plays of all time. I loathe them for that.

Nantz - AFC Championship Game - "Picked off Polamalu"...............(deflated exasperation) - "cuts across the field"- Randomly calls out players names- (Fumbles with jacket pocket to pull out cocktail napkin with line written on it.) "Pittsburgh may be going to Super Bowl 43 thanks to #43"

Michaels- On Arguably the greatest play in Super Bowl History, blew this call so badly it is a complete abomination.

Michaels may have "Do You believe in Miracles,"? but he also birthed this turd.

Madden truly appreciated the full glory of this play and loved the thrill of it. Michaels was just looking for a flag to overturn. That is all he looked for. He only said once, once in that entire sequence said that it was a touchdown and couched that by saying "touchdown is signaled" but he kept on referring to it even after that as an interception return.

Went something like this- Picked Off at the goal line- FLAG on the runback, Harrison somewhere, someplace , midfield, still on his feet, Harrison is going to go- all the way for-, waiting for the official, touchdown is signaled, A FLAG is down on the runback at the 9 yard line.

Terry McCaully quickly sorts out the flag, confirms touchdown, Tampa is nuts, stadium literally shaking, drowning out the commentary. Unfortunately, Michaels will have none of it, switches to does it count? mode, is he IN???, did he step OUT???, did the ball CROSS the goal line.????

"The challenge has to come from the booth......WOW.......And they will look at it, I guarantee you that...."

Screw that *** hamster.

Last edited:

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Nobody is disputing your "drop in the bucket" response. A business looks at all possible revenue and doesn't want to drop any. The NFL is king of GREED MACHINE and you dang well bet they look at fan spending, either as the league or individual teams they deffinately keep an eye on it. Gaurantee you they do NOT "just don't care about it" as it's a source of revenue to keep the machine lubed albeit a small lube job in comparison to TV, but none the less it is still revenue.

Salute the nation

uh, ok then, DIC.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
They all suck. Hire someone with real radio experience. Nantz and Michales screwed up 2 calls on 2 of the greatest Steelers plays of all time. I loathe them for that.

Nantz - AFC Championship Game - "Picked off Polamalu"...............(deflated exasperation) - "cuts across the field"- Randomly calls out players names- (Fumbles with jacket pocket to pull out cocktail napkin with line written on it.) "Pittsburgh may be going to Super Bowl 43 thanks to #43"

Michaels- On Arguably the greatest play in Super Bowl History, blew this call so badly it is a complete abomination.

Michaels may have "Do You believe in Miracles,"? but he also birthed this turd.

Madden truly appreciated the full glory of this play and loved the thrill of it. Michaels was just looking for a flag to overturn. That is all he looked for. He only said once, once in that entire sequence said that it was a touchdown and couched that by saying "touchdown is signaled" but he kept on referring to it even after that as an interception return.

Went something like this- Picked Off at the goal line- FLAG on the runback, Harrison somewhere, someplace , midfield, still on his feet, Harrison is going to go- all the way for-, waiting for the official, touchdown is signaled, A FLAG is down on the runback at the 9 yard line.

Terry McCaully quickly sorts out the flag, confirms touchdown, Tampa is nuts, stadium literally shaking, drowning out the commentary. Unfortunately, Michaels will have none of it, switches to does it count? mode, is he IN???, did he step OUT???, did the ball CROSS the goal line.????

"The challenge has to come from the booth......WOW.......And they will look at it, I guarantee you that...."

Screw that *** hamster.

Michaels wasnt too bad... could have easily been better, but nantz was all but rooting for the rats all game and was openly dejected over the play... screw him

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
NBC is keeping SNF. The only changes for MNF is ABC will simulcast some of ESPN's broadcasts and they will be in the Super Bowl rotation.
FOX is giving up Thursday Night Football to Amazon.

Sunday Ticket is TBD