• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pirates 2021

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
At this point they are just trying to sell everyone off, load up the minor leagues and hoping for a year or two run before they have to sell everyone off again. Rinse and repeat. The only good thing about selling everyone off now is they don't have any bonafide stars to get rid of. They are getting rid of the best players they have who by major league standards are a little above average players. Of course once they go somewhere else, they will probably become well above average.

I basically expect Bell and Taillon to be great in 2021.

Over the past 20 years or so, the Pirates have a reputation of not maximizing the most out the talent they do have. We saw it with the likes of Aramis Ramirez, Jason Schmidt and Jose Bautista, and though Gerrit Cole and Charlie Morton were good with the Pirates, they got considerably better, more consistent once they left.

There is just an overarching incompetence with the organization that starts at the very top.

There are financially limited teams like the Rays, A's and Indians that get much more out of the resources they have than the Pirates.

The new front office is bringing in some interesting young players in these trades, but they'll probably **** them up somehow.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Taillon had an efficient inning of work in his Yankees debut. 1 IP, 1 K, on seven pitches.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Just saw on the news this morning that our idiot governor will allow fans into outdoor sporting events at 20% of capacity. Where are the Pirates going to get the extra people? :LOL:

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Just saw on the news this morning that our idiot governor will allow fans into outdoor sporting events at 20% of capacity. Where are the Pirates going to get the extra people? :LOL:
Thought I saw a post by the Pens that said 15%, or 2800 fans. 20% would be better.

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Pirates are my first love, when they ever win a World Series again, I will cry, cry, cry like a baby. Because I will have lived to be 172

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Pirates are my first love, when they ever win a World Series again, I will cry, cry, cry like a baby. Because I will have lived to be 172
I always thought you were older than 22. 150 years might be a bit light even for the Pirates.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Kind of funny, but Nats who won a World Series in 2019 and still have a good team, have Bell, Jordie Mercer and Josh Harrison on their roster.

Glasnow was Rays opening day starter, 6 innings 1 hit, 0 runs

1 win on the books and the bullpen looks deeper than maybe it's ever been. Actually could be fun team to watch if starters surprise and Polonco wakes up.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Kind of funny, but Nats who won a World Series in 2019 and still have a good team, have Bell, Jordie Mercer and Josh Harrison on their roster.

1 win on the books and the bullpen looks deeper than maybe it's ever been. Actually could be fun team to watch if starters surprise and Polonco wakes up.
The Pirates are a better supplier of talent to other MLB teams...than than those teams are.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Hell, I thought Jordie and J Hay were retired by now.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Pirates are my first love

Mine too.

When I was a kid, watching those Bonds/Bonilla/Van Slyke teams with Drabek, Smiley and Zane Smith pitching and Leyland managing got me hooked.

They should have made at least one World Series. Sid Bream in 1992 was a blemish on my childhood

Punxsutawney

Reaction score

Austin Meadows hit a HR in addition to Glasnow's dominant outing

It might go down as one of the worst trades in the history of baseball, especially considering the Rays now have Archer back anyway

Rumor has it that Neal Huntington has to wear an adult diaper due to the sodomizing he received from the Rays.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Are we all in agreement that Polanco is a BUST? Put anyone else out there. One of the infielders .... anybody ... just someone who can hit once in a while.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Watching the Pirates, and this team is bad at the plate.
Are we all in agreement that Polanco is a BUST? Put anyone else out there. One of the infielders .... anybody ... just someone who can hit once in a while.
Yep. When he came up to bat, myself son and I looked at each other and basically said "He's going to hit into a DP." He did. The guy sucks.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
He has most certainly regressed every year since he was first labeled the next big thing after his first brief stint in the major leagues. At this point it appears he will never reach the potential that he was touted to reach. In a very Piratey turn on events the one guy who looks sure to reach his potential and fast, Keybrian Hayes sprains his wrist in the 2nd game of the season and goes on the disabled list.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Outscored 25-5 their last two out. Seems they are like a baby seal, living to be clubbed to death. It’s pathetic really. But hey, Nutting is dedicated to building a winner.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
Gonna be another loooooong season.
You should be used to it by now. ;)

Hard to believe that next year will be the 30th anniversary of the last time they were in the NLCS. What are we 42 years out of the World Series? I can still remember parts of that series, mainly Pops home run in Game 7 and Tek shutting them down to win it.

MLB needs to find a way to oust ownership if they cannot field a competitive team for years on end.