• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who to take at 24

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
I wrote this a week ago tought should share if harris ettinie are gone my vote is OT Jenkins as he is nasty Klemm will love his style to bring the nastyness or toughness on the OL we have lost since Pouncey Gilbert wnt into decline Decastro and AV are more technicianshttps://farhaan51.wixsite.com/my-site/post/who-to-take-at-24 leave a comment

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Banner at LT. Just not a good idea.
he played LT at USC perhaps when MT said I have big plans after signing him for 4 more years was show up to camp 10-15 LBS less and you will be in the LT competition

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
he played LT at USC perhaps when MT said I have big plans after signing him for 4 more years was show up to camp 10-15 LBS less and you will be in the LT competition
Ben better run some sprints. A lot of them. In the event Banner starts at LT he is going to need an extra set of wheels.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
They should take Jeremiah Johnson at pick 24. He's 6'7" 295, Runs a 4.39 40yd, 46 inch vertical and a relative unknown from deep in the black hills. Plays both sides of the ball. He once killed a rabid grizzly bear with his bare hands. Benches 315 for 34 reps. He can also push a prowler sled loaded up with 1800 pounds the length of a football field in under 25 seconds. He's like that of a spartan, samurai and Einstein mixed together. Quick learner and brutal.

Loved the Steelers since childhood. His parents attended all 4 Steelers Superbowls in the 1970's.

That was my dream Steeler player..lol.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been pushing OL at 1.24 but it's been pointed out to me that BPA and value is the better oprion. My take is we need OL and bad at both LT & C with priority on LT.

Someone said 1-LT / 2-Harris or Williamson / 3- C

I'd be tickled shitless if we ended up with that.

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I've been pushing OL at 1.24 but it's been pointed out to me that BPA and value is the better oprion. My take is we need OL and bad at both LT & C with priority on LT.

Someone said 1-LT / 2-Harris or Williamson / 3- C

I'd be tickled shitless if we ended up with that.
Agree if Harris is gone. Everything I've seen is telling me this is not a great draft for OL. Take a good OL if one is available but don't take a guy in the first round who is not really first round worthy. Suggestion was made on sports talk radio the other day that if Harris is gone then the Steelers should trade down.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Agree if Harris is gone. Everything I've seen is telling me this is not a great draft for OL. Take a good OL if one is available but don't take a guy in the first round who is not really first round worthy. Suggestion was made on sports talk radio the other day that if Harris is gone then the Steelers should trade down.

I feel the STEELERS need 3 starters from thia draft, day one start.

I feel they get two easily, OL (hopefully LT) and RB. If they could get a C and have him start day one then HUGE.

Some think WR should be a target early but i'm thinking no sooner than 6th but VALUE vs Rnd could equate to a WR 3rd or 4th (we have other needs first)

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Running Back
Najee Harris
Travis Etienne
Javonte Williams

Three different types of backs, all should be good. Harris, on paper, seems like the best fit. Etienne would bring the electric playmaker this offense needs. Williams may be the best pure runner of the bunch.

Center
Creed Humphrey

He may not have the same talent as Dickerson, but does not have the injuries and is maybe the most athletic center in the draft.

Tackle
Christian Darrisaw
Teven Jenkins
Alijah Vera-Tucker
Samuel Cosmi
Alex Leatherwood

Tackle is a deep position in the draft and while I'd love to lock a player in the first round, I can see the Steelers waiting until the second or even third. I also believe they feel more comfortable with the players they have than we do.

Linebacker
Micah Parsons
Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah
Zaven Collins

Parsons would be a "run to the podium" pick and the highest player I have on my board that could drop. JOK isn't the best fit with Bush already here, but he should be a very good player. Collins and his inside/outside versatility is intriguing, but would break the mold what the Steelers like to do in the first.

Cornerback
Greg Newsome
Caleb Farley

Newsome played well on a good defense. Farley's medical red flags scare me a bit.

Safety
Traveon Moehrig

Not the biggest need, but he should be a good player and with Edmunds contract nearing an end, it may be worth looking for an upgrade.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Unless a top 15 type player drops to them and they can’t pass, I want the Steelers to seek a trade down and pick up additional 2nd and 3rd round picks. They have so many needs that as their picks stand now, they will be in the mid rounds and still have immediate needs to be addressed. There are also several players that might have been 1st round picks had they not opted out that should be available in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Unless a top 15 type player drops to them and they can’t pass, I want the Steelers to seek a trade down and pick up additional 2nd and 3rd round picks. They have so many needs that as their picks stand now, they will be in the mid rounds and still have immediate needs to be addressed. There are also several players that might have been 1st round picks had they not opted out that should be available in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

I don't think they'll trade out of the first round and give up the fifth-year option. That leaves 8 possible trade partners. Of those 8, three of the picks belong to Cleveland and Baltimore, so I doubt you see any movement there. I don't see Jacksonville moving up one spot, so you are now down to New Orleans (28), Green Bay (29), Buffalo (30), and Tampa Bay (32).

The problem with dropping now is you need to worry about overlapping needs with what we need. If the Steelers player is there, they're going to draft them and if that guy is Harris, Etienne, or Jenkins, there's no chance they move down.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
I don't think they'll trade out of the first round and give up the fifth-year option. That leaves 8 possible trade partners. Of those 8, three of the picks belong to Cleveland and Baltimore, so I doubt you see any movement there. I don't see Jacksonville moving up one spot, so you are now down to New Orleans (28), Green Bay (29), Buffalo (30), and Tampa Bay (32).

The problem with dropping now is you need to worry about overlapping needs with what we need. If the Steelers player is there, they're going to draft them and if that guy is Harris, Etienne, or Jenkins, there's no chance they move down.
The Steelers have made draft day trades with Cleveland before. If a rival wants to move up, they’re not going to spite themselves.

I don’t think they will trade down as they haven’t done that in a long time. I think their post-draft roster will have more and bigger questions than usual, especially depth-wise.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Running Back
Najee Harris- I like him a little more than Et-9.
Travis Etienne- Can he block? I can live with it
Javonte Williams- What is love don't hurt me no more.

Three different types of backs, all should be good. Harris, on paper, seems like the best fit. Etienne would bring the electric playmaker this offense needs. Williams may be the best pure runner of the bunch.

Center
Creed Humphrey- This would be a makes sense pick as in I could see the Steelers targeting him.

He may not have the same talent as Dickerson, but does not have the injuries and is maybe the most athletic center in the draft.

Tackle
Christian Darrisaw-buy
Teven Jenkins- An upgrade at RT but we need a LT.
Alijah Vera-Tucker -What position is he? G? never been C? not for me.
Samuel Cosmi-buy
Alex Leatherwood- Is he a RT ?

Tackle is a deep position in the draft and while I'd love to lock a player in the first round, I can see the Steelers waiting until the second or even third. I also believe they feel more comfortable with the players they have than we do.

Linebacker
Micah Parsons- no way in hell is he there.
Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah- An attractive long shot
Zaven Collins- Just never "loved" the guy as some do.

Parsons would be a "run to the podium" pick and the highest player I have on my board that could drop. JOK isn't the best fit with Bush already here, but he should be a very good player. Collins and his inside/outside versatility is intriguing, but would break the mold what the Steelers like to do in the first.

Cornerback
Greg Newsome - sell
Caleb Farley- If he falls that far, I would let him fall some more.

Newsome played well on a good defense. Farley's medical red flags scare me a bit.

Safety
Traveon Moehrig - not a need by far but a solid prospect none-the-less.

Not the biggest need, but he should be a good player and with Edmunds contract nearing an end, it may be worth looking for an upgrade.
I bolded some comments, for better or worse.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Slash, I'm drafting Vera-Tucker and Leatherwood at LT. Both played the position in college.

steelville

Reaction score
Williams may be the best of the three RBs. Love to see OL in the first, then trade up in the 2nd and get him.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Slash, I'm drafting Vera-Tucker and Leatherwood at LT. Both played the position in college.
Just not positive that will be their position in the pros. If the Steelers grab one of them they probably are agreeing with you. I think both prospects are talented mind you. Just not sold on the transitioning fit.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Just not positive that will be their position in the pros. If the Steelers grab one of them they probably are agreeing with you. I think both prospects are talented mind you. Just not sold on the transitioning fit.
I think everyone gets preoccupied with changing positions in the NFL. Both played LT and both played the position well. Vera-Tucker is one of the best linemen in the entire draft and earned 1st-team all conference at tackle. I'd probably put him right behind Darrisaw in terms of who I'd like the Steelers to grab for LT.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't worry about it .......... Extended Tomlin will cooch em up for yaz....... You just sealed our fate Slash ..... and with the 24th pick in the 2021 draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select some guy name VERA...... lol

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
I think everyone gets preoccupied with changing positions in the NFL. Both played LT and both played the position well. Vera-Tucker is one of the best linemen in the entire draft and earned 1st-team all conference at tackle. I'd probably put him right behind Darrisaw in terms of who I'd like the Steelers to grab for LT.

Man the whole Virginia Tech thing,, and tomlins obsession with these players.... yuck.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If what we hear about Canada is true, Etienne is the best fit and he does it all and he's the fastest of the 3. Harris fits more of the typical Steelers mold of a more power back. But, Etienne is big enough (I believe 5'-10" and around 215) and is not afraid to lower his head and take on tacklers. I would love either in Rd. 1.