• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Report: Steelers Declining Terrell Edmund’s Fifth-Year Option

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Shortly after exercising the Fifth-Year Option for star safety Minkah Fitzpatrick, the Pittsburgh Steelers have declined the option for their other safety Terrell Edmunds:

The #Steelers are declining the fifth-year option on safety Terrell Edmunds, per source.

— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) May 3, 2021

There could be many reasons Pittsburgh went this route. It could have been a cap issue, the team already exercised the option on Fitzpatrick and they will have many decisions to make next off-season. It also could be motivational, they want to push him to earn a contract to stay long term, or potentially one elsewhere to make himself money.

This is now officially a contract year for Edmunds, and he will look to build off his best career year in 2020 going into this season.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

steelhurt

Reaction score
Never liked this pick where they took this guy. Never made sense to pick him in the first when they could have had better options and still pick him later, perhaps the third round. I’m glad they didn’t pickup his option. Didn’t deserve it!

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Edmunds is still 'ok' in my book...pairing him w/ Minkah was a good idea and the loss of Bush (at ILB) changed the aggressiveness of the defensive play calling...

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Not shocked at this. I am guessing they may offer him some contract next year but he isn't worth 1st round pick money. He is average overall at best.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
He's replaceable and shouldn't be given a blockbuster contract. If we can get him where he's not priced at the top of the market then great. If not, we move on and they will have to find a replacement. Another team signs him and he should be worth a comp pick between rounds 4-5, which is probably where he should have been drafted.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
agree with most here ..... he was a surprise draft pick to me and has never solidified himself as a special player.... give him a reasonable contract offer if his play improves this year but don't open the vault

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Never liked this pick where they took this guy. Never made sense to pick him in the first when they could have had better options and still pick him later, perhaps the third round. I’m glad they didn’t pickup his option. Didn’t deserve it!

2018 was not a great draft for the Steelers - other than eventually trading for Minkah Fitzpatrick, I guess. Edmunds, James Washington, Mason Rudolph, Chukwuka Okorafor, Marcus Allen, Jaylen Samuels and Joshua Frazier. Two starters (Edmunds and Okorafor) of medium value, a backup QB, a #4 WR, and a 3rd string RB.

But the talent in that draft was thin. The biggest misses were Darius Leonard, available 1st and 2nd round, and Orlando Brown, available in the first three rounds. In hindsight, the Steelers could have gone Nick Chubb 1st round, Darius Leonard 2nd round, and Orlando Brown 3rd round. That would have mae the 2021 "needs" vastly lower.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Not shocked at this. I am guessing they may offer him some contract next year but he isn't worth 1st round pick money. He is average overall at best.

Yep, and put him on a defense that isn't very good look out!

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
This begs the question, why the hell didn’t they draft a Safety if they knew they were essentially giving up on Edmunds? If we knew this before the draft, most would have had S as a pretty big need. I know they drafted Brooks last year but he has shown nothing so far, and even if he did, you still need another S as his backup if you plan to let Edmunds walk. Safeties take time to develop.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
This begs the question, why the hell didn’t they draft a Safety if they knew they were essentially giving up on Edmunds? If we knew this before the draft, most would have had S as a pretty big need. I know they drafted Brooks last year but he has shown nothing so far, and even if he did, you still need another S as his backup if you plan to let Edmunds walk. Safeties take time to develop.
with what? so many big needs and just 3 top picks. RB/C/OT/CB/TE/OLB/S.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
I like Terrrell, seems to be a hard-working, no nonsense kid. Just got put into an impossible spot being drafted so high, the glare of the spotlight seemed too much for him, too many expectations, too soon.

Last edited:

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
How about taking S instead of a 2 down ILB Buddy Johnson in rd 4?
well, that and the 5th round pick are my main complaint. Still whatever there was available there they probably discarded it as starter capable in the future.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
with what? so many big needs and just 3 top picks. RB/C/OT/CB/TE/OLB/S.

Yeah, too many holes to fill. Five of the top 140 picks? Great.

But at least 7 needs. Rumor has it 7 > 5.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Seems like the correct call...

You have to give the Steelers credit (or not) in regards to their highly drafted players...
They give them every opportunity to get that second big contract…even if their play is not meeting the expectations of a high draft pick.

Their commitment to their high draft picks can be honorable and frustrating at the same time for us fans..

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd write off Edmunds yet. I just think the Steelers don't value him at that price point and if they want to keep him, it'll have to be at a lower cost. Not many safeties strike it big in free agency.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Or it could be one reason: Edmunds just isn't very good.

Basically, he's pretty much Mike Mitchell of Sean Davis. Doesn't totally suck pole, but someone you're always looking upgrade.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd write off Edmunds yet. I just think the Steelers don't value him at that price point and if they want to keep him, it'll have to be at a lower cost. Not many safeties strike it big in free agency.

This

Edmonds 5th year option money exceeds Edmonds 5th year value in the STEELERS eyes. I'm sure they will offer a contract next year and go from there.

EDIT: Edmonds isn't the only player to not get his 5th year option picked up................. Baker Mayfield never got his 5th picked up either

Salute the nation

Last edited:

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
This. Maybe they like him but don't think he is worth the 5th year option price. And will simply resign him at some point at a lower price.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, and put him on a defense that isn't very good look out!

I'm pretty sure that could be said for most any average player. Edmonds is just a notch above average, in my opinion. Put anyone thAT is of that ability on a crappy defense and you'll get the results you profess.

Salute the nation

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Basically, he's pretty much Mike Mitchell of Sean Davis. Doesn't totally suck pole, but someone you're always looking upgrade.
To me, Edmunds has performed slightly below the level of a third round pick, where he was located on many if not most pre-draft rankings. Problem is, the Steelers took him in the first round, and he has not lived up to the lofty expectations of the #28 overall choice.

fogdoctor

Reaction score
I thought he would be an impact player for us when we drafted him. Just assumed that the FO knew something that was not obvious. It appears, he was what he was on film - a good college player that would have made a strong second-day pick. If we could keep him for average money then I'm cool with that.