• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Legendary Steelers QB Terry Bradshaw calls out Aaron Rodgers

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Former Pittsburgh Steelers QB Terry Bradshaw has, for better or worse, never been one to mince his words. On the Moose and Maggie show, host Maggie Gray asked Bradshaw about his take concerning the rift between Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers.

Rodgers has been vocal since it was reported the day of the NFL draft that he wanted out of Green Bay. Many sources speculate that the root cause of the dissatisfaction was based towards Packers GM Brian Gutekunst trading up in the 2020 draft to select QB Jordan Love and reportedly did not let Rodgers know.

Bradshaw didn’t hold back in his response: “It makes him look weak.

It’s not the first time the Hall of Fame QB has been critical of a superstar NFL QB, as both John Elway and Ben Roethlisberger have been targets of Bradshaw’s ire. However, in those cases, there was at least something linking them. When Elway was the #1 overall pick in 1983, he was considered to be the best QB prospect out of college since Bradshaw 13 years earlier. Comparisons were made between the two, particularly in relation to how incredibly strong their arms were as well as their unique athleticism and mobility. Bradshaw took exception to Elway’s refusal to play for the Baltimore Colts in 1983 and again in 1990, as he suggested Elway had been treated soft by his coach, fans and the media. This, was of course, in contrast to how Bradshaw struggled to gain respect until many years into his career. With Roethlisberger, it was a matter of being a Super Bowl Championship QB for the Steelers. Bradshaw took strong exception with Roethlisberger’s off the field behaviors that if he owned the Steelers, he would have seen to it that Roethlisberger would not have been there.

Bradshaw mended fences with both Elway and Roethlisberger later in their respective careers.

But Bradshaw really let Rodgers have it out out of nowhere in comparison. Bradshaw took particular grievance that Rodgers was upset as he was with Green Bay selecting a QB for the future in Love and the reports that Rodgers would only come back if Gutekunst was fired.

Bradshaw, Moose and Maggie – WFAN:

“Him being that upset shows me how weak he is. Who the hell cares who you draft? He’s a three-time MVP in the league and he’s worried about this guy they drafted last year at No. 1?”

Bradshaw thought the Packers should call his bluff and let him retire and go host the game show “Jeopardy.” He also said that Jimmy Johnson once told him that when a player begins talking about retirement, they are “retired.”

In an ironic twist, Bradshaw mentioned that it didn’t bother him when QB Mark Malone was drafted with a 1st round pick in 1980 and that he looked forward to the challenge. However, according to Tony Dungy, this is not the way that Chuck Noll thought drafting Dan Marino in 1983.

Tony Dungy; “Chuck Noll His Life’s Work“, Michael MacCambridge, page 293:

“Drafting Marino, as much as Bradshaw says he didn’t care about his feelings and stuff, that would have killed Bradshaw, and he still thought he was going to play a couple more years. There was a lot to that. It changed the course of the franchise, for sure.”

The original TB12 has had a tumultuous run with the Steelers, both during and after his career. Yet he still remains our QB. However, we’re kind of glad he’s in the studio and not running the team, especially as Roethlisberger has truly turned his life around and it would not be the same without #7 in the black and gold. Be thankful our front office doesn’t think as rashly with their emotions as the 4x Super Bowl winner.

As for Rodgers, Bradshaw does pose some valid points though. Roethlisberger has been criticized his entire career, condemned for playing bad in a Super Bowl that he won, and never gotten so much as an MVP vote. Rodgers has failed in 4 consecutive NFC Championship Games, yet he seems to get a pass from the media. They blame the defense or coach and lump on MVP votes for Rodgers. If Roethlisberger lost 4 consecutive AFC Championships, the media would crucify him. It’s a shame we didn’t see the Aaron Rodgers that showed up for those NFC Championship Games when the Steelers played the Packers in Super Bowl XLV. After witnessing how weak he played in those games with the pressure on, maybe Bradshaw’s comments about “being weak” were on the money and it’s likely there would be 7 Lombardi Trophies on display in Steelers HQ.

Thoughts or comments? Leave them below.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Good read, thank you

rodgers has always been and will remain a *****.!

Salute the nation

Reactions: FSF

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
I guess what comes around goes around. Favre couldn't accept them drafting Rodgers and now Rodgers can't accept them drafting what could be his replacement. Not sure what he expects them to do, maybe go on with a RB in the QB position as he is apparently not replacable in his mind.

paperclip

Reaction score
I don't think Green Bay has lost 4 consecutive NFC championship games

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
regarding the latter part of the article... Malone wasn't/aint/never will be Marino...

Pretty easy to not be too upset at drafting Malone. Marino... Well that's a much louder knock on the door.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Not 4 in a row, no, but they've lost the last 4 they've played in. Article couldve worded it better

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I respect Terry's career with the Steelers and really don't care for much of what he has to say about anything else whether I happen to agree with it here (not a Rodgers fan) or not (Criticism of Roethlisberger). I think he is largely click bait media.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
His reaction was the same as he always been . Old school. I think it irks him seeing these guys are ******* and getting paid 100 times what he got.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Good, glad someone calls him out, imagine Ben acting like that, or like Wilson, Murray, or Watson, the media would melt down trying to roast him.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Rodgers has a top 3 receiver, top 10 back, and top 5 OL in the league.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Good, glad someone calls him out, imagine Ben acting like that, or like Wilson, Murray, or Watson, the media would melt down trying to roast him.
To be fair Wilson and Watson were both acting like that for a bit. If i remember right Wilson was complaining about his line, and Watson pre-abuse saga was trying to force himself out of Houston. As for Rodgers the year before last I dont blame him for being mad. They moved up to use a pick on a player that shouldnt see the field for a few yrs. The pack were ready to win now and that pick did not help at all plus they lost a 4th round pick to move up. As for why Rodgers is mad now it does not make sense. He had one of his best seasons, said he was the happiest he had been playing football, the WR corp is coming around, and they resigned Jones. I could understand if he spoke out after the draft, but all this came out pre-draft.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
But Rodgers has lost in each of his last 4 NFCCG appearances, hence the consecutive to emphasize it.

If Ben went 0-4 from 2014 to 2020, you think the phrase lost 4 consecutive AFC Championships wouldn't be used?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
To be fair Wilson and Watson were both acting like that for a bit. If i remember right Wilson was complaining about his line, and Watson pre-abuse saga was trying to force himself out of Houston. As for Rodgers the year before last I dont blame him for being mad. They moved up to use a pick on a player that shouldnt see the field for a few yrs. The pack were ready to win now and that pick did not help at all plus they lost a 4th round pick to move up. As for why Rodgers is mad now it does not make sense. He had one of his best seasons, said he was the happiest he had been playing football, the WR corp is coming around, and they resigned Jones. I could understand if he spoke out after the draft, but all this came out pre-draft.
Well **** Watson was banned from every therapeutic massage clinic in the greater Houston area. What was he supposed to do????

• Haha

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
I respect Terry's career with the Steelers and really don't care for much of what he has to say about anything else whether I happen to agree with it here (not a Rodgers fan) or not (Criticism of Roethlisberger). I think he is largely click bait media.
Bradshaw has been so bi-polar that I don't think the guy even thinks about clickbait - sure doesn't need it financially. But he's an older guy with nothing to lose, he's been criticized for everything under the sun (some well-deserved, some not) that he's just going to be unfiltered.

But I don't disagree Rodgers is an entitled pretty boy who has failed to come up big in the clutch and gets a pass from the media every time.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He's correct about A-Aron getting a pass while Ben is the year-in/year-out whipping boy.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
If it were me running the team, I would be upfront with Rodgers behind closed doors about being open to drafting a QB. Rodgers is not entitled to it, but it's just good business. The Steelers should do, probably have, same thing with Ben.

Just be clear and concise. Would you rather get a bullet to the head or 5 in the chest and bleed to death? Facts and no fluff.

The fact that Rodgers gets mad after the way he was brought with Favre is the definition of hypocrite.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
Rodgers wants to be a player/GM. Good luck with that. Maybe he should just retire and apply for a GM job somewhere.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Watson was pissed that he wasn't consulted on some of the personnel moves that were being made, as was Wilson I believe too. Murray said he thinks he should have a say in that as well. The national media roasted Ben for this very thing during the entire AB thing, although there was never anything about Ben wanting a say in personnel decisions.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Good job Terry. Talk about a guy full of himself, hell his family doesn't even commute with Aaron