• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pens Hockey 2021?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I could really see something kinda goofy happening in game 6 like the Islanders blowing a late lead and it being a coin toss game seven. Varlamov has been good but not clutch. But they definitely belong in the series.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
Not sure who the Pens would have beaten anyone in the playoffs this year. I think they would have lost a 2nd year in a row to Charwie's Habs. Can't say enough about goal tending, stay at home defense, physical play, net presence and shooting the puck. All things every other playoff team does. Burke and Hex say Malkin, Letang and Jarry all back, hopefully that is GM/VP talk. Dumbass Mark Madden keeps saying big trade will be with Jake will be off season move.

str8liner

Reaction score
I could really see something kinda goofy happening in game 6 like the Islanders blowing a late lead and it being a coin toss game seven. Varlamov has been good but not clutch. But they definitely belong in the series.

I just can't convince myself that the Isle's can go all the way and win the cup.

They benefitted from the B's getting stupid last night and putting them on the power play.

And I agree 100 percent with Cassidy that the Islanders get away with all kinds of cross checking and dirty play that gets called the other way. Watch what they do in front of the net and after the play, then the other team retaliates and gets called. I have seen several instances where the ref was looking at the whole incident and it gets called against the B's. Seen it in the Pen's series too.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure who the Pens would have beaten anyone in the playoffs this year. I think they would have lost a 2nd year in a row to Charwie's Habs. Can't say enough about goal tending, stay at home defense, physical play, net presence and shooting the puck. All things every other playoff team does.

The biggest problem I saw with the Pens this year is that they didn't have a playoff gear. Not even close. They simply were not a playoff team.

Reactions: JMM

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
The biggest problem I saw with the Pens this year is that they didn't have a playoff gear. Not even close. They simply were not a playoff team.
they didn't have a goalie that was good, at all. Maybe they get past NY if Jarry didn't have a weak glove hand or get rattled like he did. Boston put a rookie in last night. Game 5, at home. Sully lived and died with Jarry.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I just can't convince myself that the Isle's can go all the way and win the cup.

They benefitted from the B's getting stupid last night and putting them on the power play.

And I agree 100 percent with Cassidy that the Islanders get away with all kinds of cross checking and dirty play that gets called the other way. Watch what they do in front of the net and after the play, then the other team retaliates and gets called. I have seen several instances where the ref was looking at the whole incident and it gets called against the B's. Seen it in the Pen's series too.
Yes the Referee's have chosen to bestow great calls on the Islanders because they were a storied franchise 40 some years ago. The penalty minutes and power plays were dead even. And the Bruins averaged more than a penalty per game than the Islanders over a 56 game season. And the league gave the Bruins a gift goal on clear goaltender interference in game 4. He leveraged his pad and he couldn't move his leg to respond to the shot. But if Cassidy wants to join Sullivan in the pity party ***** fest be my guest. That is a sure way to lose.
As far as winning the cup. Lets say hypothetically they lose the next two . They are at worst he 5 the best team in the NHL and clearly on the rise. Its the most difficult championship to win in team sport and it really isn't even close.

str8liner

Reaction score
Yes the Referee's have chosen to bestow great calls on the Islanders because they were a storied franchise 40 some years ago. The penalty minutes and power plays were dead even. And the Bruins averaged more than a penalty per game than the Islanders over a 56 game season. And the league gave the Bruins a gift goal on clear goaltender interference in game 4. He leveraged his pad and he couldn't move his leg to respond to the shot. But if Cassidy wants to join Sullivan in the pity party ***** fest be my guest. That is a sure way to lose.
As far as winning the cup. Lets say hypothetically they lose the next two . They are at worst he 5 the best team in the NHL and clearly on the rise. Its the most difficult championship to win in team sport and it really isn't even close.

Oh come on, we literally set here for years and watched the Isle's beat on teams, specifically the Pens....I don't care how the minutes are divided up, I don't have much respect for a team that is gear toward beating on the other team.

Thought we got rid of the goon play several years ago but evidently not.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Oh come on, we literally set here for years and watched the Isle's beat on teams, specifically the Pens....I don't care how the minutes are divided up, I don't have much respect for a team that is gear toward beating on the other team.

Thought we got rid of the goon play several years ago but evidently not.
Your ****** dreaming dude. The Islanders were the second lowest penalty minutes in the LEAGUE over the season. Due to Covid lets say they encountered 6 or 8 different crews of referees but it is probably more. And they were all IN ON IT. The Islanders play like the Chiefs from slapshot and are the second lowest penalized team. Makes a ton of sense. I watched all but lets say 15 or 20 games this season. Their fourth line is gritty but can score. Cal Clutterbuck plays on the edge of dirty. The rest is physical play on the right side of the rules. When its not they get penalties galore. Barzal was picked on all year, because he tends to whine and ***** at refs. The PEns need to toughen up a lot. Ditch the Europeans and Russians and grab more Canadian heart.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
they didn't have a goalie that was good, at all. Maybe they get past NY if Jarry didn't have a weak glove hand or get rattled like he did. Boston put a rookie in last night. Game 5, at home. Sully lived and died with Jarry.

He literally had no one else. Jarry can improve IMO.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Most difficult thing to do in the NHL..find a franchise goalie. Kids are very young when they are drafted and there is no way to tell how they will turn out. You could get him in the 6th round justbas easy as the first.

Steelmann

Reaction score
Your ****** dreaming dude. The Islanders were the second lowest penalty minutes in the LEAGUE over the season. Due to Covid lets say they encountered 6 or 8 different crews of referees but it is probably more. And they were all IN ON IT. The Islanders play like the Chiefs from slapshot and are the second lowest penalized team. Makes a ton of sense. I watched all but lets say 15 or 20 games this season. Their fourth line is gritty but can score. Cal Clutterbuck plays on the edge of dirty. The rest is physical play on the right side of the rules. When its not they get penalties galore. Barzal was picked on all year, because he tends to whine and ***** at refs. The PEns need to toughen up a lot. Ditch the Europeans and Russians and grab more Canadian heart.
Yes you have to chuckle. Anybody can see the penguins have to get a little tougher. Most people on the board are calling for more grit. Yet when a team beats them up physically they are a bunch of goons. BS. The Islanders were the better team. Not better individually but they played a tough team game. The type of game that wins playoff series. I actually quite enjoy watching them.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Wow! LVGK!

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Yes you have to chuckle. Anybody can see the penguins have to get a little tougher. Most people on the board are calling for more grit. Yet when a team beats them up physically they are a bunch of goons. BS. The Islanders were the better team. Not better individually but they played a tough team game. The type of game that wins playoff series. I actually quite enjoy watching them.
They don't have the offensive skill of other teams. But not many teams can roll 4 lines the whole game. Nearly equally and routinely start with 4th. And a guy like Barzal if you drop the structure he's a 80 90 point guy. But then you get the Oilers with McJesus getting 100 points and giving up 94 goals against. In hockey it's more about keeping the puck out of your own net.

str8liner

Reaction score
Your ****** dreaming dude. The Islanders were the second lowest penalty minutes in the LEAGUE over the season. Due to Covid lets say they encountered 6 or 8 different crews of referees but it is probably more. And they were all IN ON IT. The Islanders play like the Chiefs from slapshot and are the second lowest penalized team. Makes a ton of sense. I watched all but lets say 15 or 20 games this season. Their fourth line is gritty but can score. Cal Clutterbuck plays on the edge of dirty. The rest is physical play on the right side of the rules. When its not they get penalties galore. Barzal was picked on all year, because he tends to whine and ***** at refs. The PEns need to toughen up a lot. Ditch the Europeans and Russians and grab more Canadian heart

All I know is I see Crosby Guentzel and Rust and others constantly getting cross checked from behind after the play. Every game they play the Isle's. It was so bad it even got to Guentzel this last series.

Funny I haven't seen any of that in the Bolts Canes or Knights Aves series....

I know, its just a different brand of hockey..... :sneaky:

Steelmann

Reaction score
That was a fun game to watch last night. Vegas and the Avs are like controlled chaos. Their transition out of their zone is so fast. It's actually exciting to watch.
That’s the thing about playoff hockey. If your team bows out early(as mine does year after year) if you love the game,you can really appreciate the sport. I love playoff hockey. I rarely watch a regular season game. That’s just a way too long warmup for the real season. Toughest team championship to win by a long long shot.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
That’s the thing about playoff hockey. If your team bows out early(as mine does year after year) if you love the game,you can really appreciate the sport. I love playoff hockey. I rarely watch a regular season game. That’s just a way too long warmup for the real season. Toughest team championship to win by a long long shot.
Playoff football and hockey is pretty exciting. The cream usually rises to the top. TB are so polished, but the Isles have a workman-like in the approach. I like that contrast. The Habs, I don't even know where they are coming from, but they are spanking their opponents. Vegas/Col, I could watch that series every night. Love PO hockey.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
All I know is I see Crosby Guentzel and Rust and others constantly getting cross checked from behind after the play. Every game they play the Isle's. It was so bad it even got to Guentzel this last series.

Funny I haven't seen any of that in the Bolts Canes or Knights Aves series....

I know, its just a different brand of hockey..... :sneaky:
If you are gonna play in the Eastern Conference or this year the Eastern Division you better have some grit. Flyers, Bruins, Leafs. These are all perennial tough gritty franchises. And lets not forget:

Bruins' Jake DeBrusk fined for cross-checking Islanders' Scott Mayfield in head​

Ritchie of Bruins fined $5,000 for actions in Game 5​

Forward penalized maximum for elbowing Islanders defenseman Mayfield​

Then there was back and forth cross checks throughout that scrum , but that was a match penalty spear to the nuts on Barzal. That should have been a suspension.

So I think perhaps you are looking at this from a lens that wants to see something.

str8liner

Reaction score
That was a fun game to watch last night. Vegas and the Avs are like controlled chaos. Their transition out of their zone is so fast. It's actually exciting to watch.
It kind of
If you are gonna play in the Eastern Conference or this year the Eastern Division you better have some grit. Flyers, Bruins, Leafs. These are all perennial tough gritty franchises. And lets not forget:

Bruins' Jake DeBrusk fined for cross-checking Islanders' Scott Mayfield in head​

Ritchie of Bruins fined $5,000 for actions in Game 5​

Forward penalized maximum for elbowing Islanders defenseman Mayfield​

Then there was back and forth cross checks throughout that scrum , but that was a match penalty spear to the nuts on Barzal. That should have been a suspension.

So I think perhaps you are looking at this from a lens that wants to see something.

Ya think maybe some of that is retaliation for what the Islanders are doing? Obviously not....

I know for a fact a lot of it was in the Pens series...

Do you happen to remember when half the damn team was in the Penalty box in the Pens series?

That came from Palmieri shoving his stick into Jarrys face and into the goal.

Through your lens that was probably the Pens fault right?

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
GOOD BYE BRUINS!!!!!!!

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Speaking of Palmieri haha.

New York Saints at it again...
So what is the whine tonight. The Islanders were too beastly and ruffian again for you. I will tell you when this series ****** dumped on Boston's head. When some Jagoff called a line on their team the perfection line. You are just asking to get out worked and out physically played with a name like that. Then when Cassidy had his 25k cry on TV they were really ******. Str8liner I think you should apply to the Bruins. Sounds like you are management material. At least the Pens took it like men.