• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

NFL Bringing in the Black National Anthem, For the forseeable future.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
tell me

How were you ever military. How? You know how it is if you were.
Again my answer should pretty much spell out my previous military experience AND it will show you the GROWTH that I have had since my enlistment.

Fact - Bermuda was a soldier for 9 years.
Fact - Bermuda defended EVERY US citizen regardless of color or creed with no regard while being deployed in Iraq, Somalia, Bosnia, and in S. Korea.

Let's add some flavor to the discussion...

As a servicemember, Badcat, how did/do you feel about the Confederate flag? Should it still be flown?

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Berm, I've read and studied poetry my whole life, so hear me out on this. I'll include the whole third verse to provide context.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave,
From the terror of flight and the gloom of the grave;
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave!

So the first four lines are directed at the British who "vauntly", meaning excessive boasting, swore that they were unleashing Hell and they would leave us without a country, A home if you will. The fourth line is a HUGE middle finger stating "their blood has washed away their foul footsteps' Pollution". He called the British a pollution upon our country's shores. Then we come to the part where he says "No refuge could save the hireling and slave", this is a continuation of those polluting British, their hired contractors and slaves, so what he's saying here is that even the hired help "wasn't safe from the gloom of the grave" I highlighted the word could in the above verse to show past tense as it's important in the fact that many people stating the verse is racist, isn't showing the verse in it's entirety. He didn't write the word "can" which would mean a continued pursuit of slaves, he wrote the would "could"

Where we, as Americans, go wrong is not showing how important African, Asian, and Latino people were to the very fight of our Nation, and still are today. Keep in mind when reading this third verse that there are black, yellow, and brown people chasing down and killing that "pollution" upon our shores including the contractors and slaves. The Red stripes on the flag that doth wave stand for Hardiness and Valor, and if you read the stories of Charles Ball and WIlliam Williams and many other heros of color you'll see that this Third verse isn't inclusive of all slaves, just the slaves that polluted our shores in support of the British.
This, my friend, is how we keep the discussion going and going well!!!

Thanks for providing your excellent insight and thoughts. I've learned a lot and I appreciate it.

See how easy it is to be supportive???

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
We have one National Anthem. Don't like the one verse that is disputable out there in its true meaning, then petition to remove it. No one sings it anyway. If you now want to have a fake "black national anthem", then we must have a "white national anthem" and a national anthem for all other races in this country. Then we'll have to have one for males, one for females, one for gays, one for transgenders and one for every other made-up creation that comes with the + at the end of LGBTQ+. And the list goes on. The US is not a perfect country, no one said it was. You don't erase your past, you learn from it like this country has done until now when libtards want to just erase our history and put one in that better suits their divisive agenda. But, the US is without a shadow of a doubt the best, the freest, and the least oppressed country anywhere in the world. And, we have helped and continue to help other countries be free. No other country even comes close. If you think otherwise, then go live in a country you think is better, turn in your citizenship, and stay there. It's a great time to be alive in America. I take consequences for my actions and don't blame others like most liberals. And, I choose to be a victor and not a victim as most liberals do and as they preach others to be.
Point taken.

I think the topic and title really have been misconstrued - "Lift Every Voice And Sing" is the Black Anthem---somewhere, somehow the word "National" has been placed in front of it and, yes, I can see your point.

So, just as the 3rd verse should be struck from the National Anthem, simply strike the word National from in front of Black Anthem. Easy solution no???

I bet a case of beer that it's still gonna bring grief to some here...

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the logical progression of a black national anthem along with a white national anthem would be the separation of the American military into a black military and a white military.

Each fully American military could choose which conflicts or missions they were philosophically aligned with and only engage in THOSE. For example, if the white military didn't feel it was really culturally "Their Truth" they wouldn't have to provide aid in disaster relief missions in areas of the country that they didn't feel represented their heritage and values.

Equivalently, the black military would never even be called upon to defend white people in foreign or domestic conflicts. To do so would be inherently harmful to their self preservation. I'm not actually certain what missions and conflicts would be philosophically aligned with their truth, but you'd assume there has to be something.

Then EVERYONE is happy and at that point we can start on the other anthems.

mdk2

Reaction score
I think the logical progression of a black national anthem along with a white national anthem would be the separation of the American military into a black military and a white military.

Each fully American military could choose which conflicts or missions they were philosophically aligned with and only engage in THOSE. For example, if the white military didn't feel it was really culturally "Their Truth" they wouldn't have to provide aid in disaster relief missions in areas of the country that they didn't feel represented their heritage and values.

Equivalently, the black military would never even be called upon to defend white people in foreign or domestic conflicts. To do so would be inherently harmful to their self preservation. I'm not actually certain what missions and conflicts would be philosophically aligned with their truth, but you'd assume there has to be something.

Then EVERYONE is happy and at that point we can start on the other anthems.
What about the LGBTQ anthem? That will be required within the next couple years.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
People are going to feel strongly about this, either way, that's apparent.

My problem: firstly, don't politicize a sport that's supposed to take you away from bullshit politics & political posturing. That's exactly what they're doing. Secondly, you're only causing division with multiple anthems within one country. Third, take out the whole ******* thing if it's going to cause this much of a stir. We already know what our flag and our anthem stands for. If we absolutely have to be reminded during a sporting event, we may need to take a serious look in the mirror as a country. Teach and talk about it's importance in the appropriate venues ie. the home, American history class, political debates etc.

One line in the original anthem that's up for interpretation to some but seems pretty clear to others isn't a color thing, or a malevolent thing - it's a common sense reality thing IMO. This country isn't perfect, and it was far from perfect for many for a long time, but a gd football field isn't the place to go on about it. The whole damn thing started as an agreement between the DoD and NFL to get recruits for the military IIRC. Again, not the place.

Carry on.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
wait. full stop.

why's Bermuda so opinionated on this subject? I've met the man. He's whiter than Koryea. Dude wears white knee-high socks with black shoes and even Crocs. Embarrassing, to say the least. And I say it on the board so he doesnt subject me to running around bars looking for ****** for the 19th time. though that last time was fun

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Again my answer should pretty much spell out my previous military experience AND it will show you the GROWTH that I have had since my enlistment.

Fact - Bermuda was a soldier for 9 years.
Fact - Bermuda defended EVERY US citizen regardless of color or creed with no regard while being deployed in Iraq, Somalia, Bosnia, and in S. Korea.

Let's add some flavor to the discussion...

As a servicemember, Badcat, how did/do you feel about the Confederate flag? Should it still be flown?
Fact, Bermuda is a practiced race baiter.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Dude wears white knee-high socks

So did Michael Cooper:

iu

Just sayin'.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so what does all that have to do with the absurdity of a black national anthem?

You mentioned being white it's impossible to understand what people of color are going through.

Ok, then in the comments section please do tell these two that they don't understand what they're going through as well.

So, its possible for some whites to pander to the "woke" crowd. But impossible that some blacks would pander to other demographics?

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
All of this discussion about unity, disagreement, disruption, differences of opinion .... training camp starts in 3 days. Thank God! Then we can get back to unifying topics like JuJu's performance (TikTok, not on the field), Dotson's conditioning, Edmunds, and especially Tomlin!

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
All of this discussion about unity, disagreement, disruption, differences of opinion .... training camp starts in 3 days. Thank God! Then we can get back to unifying topics like JuJu's performance (TikTok, not on the field), Dotson's conditioning, Edmunds, and especially Tomlin!
You forgot Dri Archer...

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score

Steelmann

Reaction score
Ok, so what does all that have to do with the absurdity of a black national anthem?

You mentioned being white it's impossible to understand what people of color are going through.

Ok, then in the comments section please do tell these two that they don't understand what they're going through as well.

In response Stewey.

“All that”. Lol.

Started off as response to people commenting on the title of the thread. Then put in a few personal tidbits. It’s a forum. It’s offseason. I know......Steeler Nation forums never get sidetracked 🤪 You don’t agree with my points? That’s life.
What’s important is it creates discussion. Hopefully fairly civil.

“Absurdity of National Anthem “
Point taken.

I think the topic and title really have been misconstrued - "Lift Every Voice And Sing" is the Black Anthem---somewhere, somehow the word "National" has been placed in front of it and, yes, I can see your point.

So, just as the 3rd verse should be struck from the National Anthem, simply strike the word National from in front of Black Anthem. Easy solution no???

I bet a case of beer that it's still gonna bring grief to some here...

Would you reconsider,if National was taken out? Would it be less Absurd?

Mentioned “ being white,impossible etc “
Yes I do think it’s impossible for me to know deep down about what different races go through. Not just white for black.
Black for white.....Asian for black and so on. You get my drift. I hope.
If you feel you have total understanding...well good for you. I don’t. But I shall keep trying to learn.

It’s interesting looking at all the responses.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
In response Stewey.

“All that”. Lol.

Started off as response to people commenting on the title of the thread. Then put in a few personal tidbits. It’s a forum. It’s offseason. I know......Steeler Nation forums never get sidetracked 🤪 You don’t agree with my points? That’s life.
What’s important is it creates discussion. Hopefully fairly civil.

“Absurdity of National Anthem “

Would you reconsider,if National was taken out? Would it be less Absurd?

Mentioned “ being white,impossible etc “
Yes I do think it’s impossible for me to know deep down about what different races go through. Not just white for black.
Black for white.....Asian for black and so on. You get my drift. I hope.
If you feel you have total understanding...well good for you. I don’t. But I shall keep trying to learn.

It’s interesting looking at all the responses.
I'm a life-long student, good sir - I definitely don't have all the answers...

I'll say this - I know who to ignore here but overall we're taking baby steps in the right direction.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
It looked really cool on the roof of the General Lee. :LOL:

Actually, the flag that you're referring to is the Battle flag of the Tennessee army. There were multiple versions of the flag that symbolized the National Confederacy, none of which were flown over courthouses or Civil War monuments that I know of. Why the Tennessee battle flag was chosen to represent the south I have no clue.

Anyway, I see the flag with historical importance representing a war that shaped not only our country, but changed our societal structure and behavior. My paternal Grandfather is from the South and he married my Grandmother who is from Pennsylvania. Both had ancestors fight at Gettysburg. Although my Grandfather is a proud southern man, he only flew one flag at his house, the American flag.

My first duty station out of Basic training was Dyess AFB in Abilene, TX. I went to the local mall and in a t-shirt shop one shirt said "Armadillo 10 points, Jackrabbit 20 points, Yankee 100 points" You see, many Southerners believe the war wasn't primarily fought over slavery but rather the federal government enacting unreasonable tariffs on the goods produced in the south. If you read about the Carpet Baggers following the war then you'll understand where this belief was only reinforced. You'll find this group flying the flag as a symbol of heritage.

You also have people flying it out of spite, as a symbol of rebellion, or even hatred towards black people. And as you are a man of color I can certainly see where you may see it a sign of oppression and hate, you've certainly earned that right. Flags can mean different things to different people. I believe the flag should be flown at civil war battle fields, monuments, and the like due to historical importance and a dark reminder of our horrid atrocities against the African people. But outside of that, no, I don't think it should be flown.