• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Anthony Chickillo retired from football.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll save you the time. Franchise QBs don't hit UFA. The Steelers had what they had and Cowher's teams won a playoff game at least once in 8 out of 15 years while making it to 6 conference title games compared to Tomlin who won at least one playoff game 4 out of 14 years and advanced to 3 conference title games with a franchise QB.

Thanks. Sure they do. Alex Smith, Peyton, Brees? (or was he traded). I’ll be the first one to say Tomlin‘s teams need to win more playoff games. But also understand regardless of the ebb and flow of the games, the players decide on the field who wins or lose.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. Sure they do. Alex Smith, Peyton, Brees? (or was he traded). I’ll be the first one to say Tomlin‘s teams need to win more playoff games. But also understand regardless of the ebb and flow of the games, the players decide on the field who wins or lose.
Alex? Anywho Peyton was on his last legs, think Brees was a free agent. Slim pickens unless they are looked at as fading or upgradable.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
“If you ain’t first, you’re last.” - Ricky Bobby
IMO you don’t have to win the SB but you have to get to it. Anything less is falling short.
Anytime a team wins a championship a little bit of luck is involved. For the Steelers luck means not having to face the Cheating Bastiges in the playoffs. The evidence indicates that no matter how good the Steelers are, Belicheat will beat them in a playoff game. Yes he cheats but the field is leveled somewhat because we know what he is going to do…and still can’t stop it. Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning beat the Cheats TWICE in the SB. Must mean they’re better than Shades and Ben.
Bungles don’t commit those late game penalties, we don’t get close enough for a FG.
That's bullshit, we were one pass away from FG range, two from being in comfortable range. Keep in mind 28 seconds AND a timeout, with Ben back in at QB.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Alex? Anywho Peyton was on his last legs, think Brees was a free agent. Slim pickens unless they are looked at as fading or upgradable.
Slim Pickens maybe, but there wasn't even an attempt. It was brought up before, Kent Graham...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
That's bullshit, we were one pass away from FG range, two from being in comfortable range. Keep in mind 28 seconds AND a timeout, with Ben back in at QB.
Doesn't mean they'd make it with Ben playing hurt and AB out. I didn't like the odds.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Thanks. Sure they do. Alex Smith, Peyton, Brees? (or was he traded).
Lol, Alex Smith is nowhere near a franchise QB. Manning was at the end but clearly had some time left and Brees was thought to potentially have a career-threatening injury and thank goodness he didn’t. Either way, these guys weren’t available when the Steelers needed a franchise QB.

Also, by this logic the Steelers better throw everything they have to bring in Rodgers next year after Ben retires or else Tomlin must not even be trying.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn't mean they'd make it with Ben playing hurt and AB out. I didn't like the odds.
You're playing the what if game.

"If the Bengals don't melt down they win"

Well. In that scenario, Brown isn't out and Ben just hit him for a first down conversion across midfield.

If Burfict isn't a POS Ben never leaves the game with a shoulder injury and the Bengals never get close.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Lol, Alex Smith is nowhere near a franchise QB. Manning was at the end but clearly had some time left and Brees was thought to potentially have a career-threatening injury and thank goodness he didn’t. Either way, these guys weren’t available when the Steelers needed a franchise QB.

Also, by this logic the Steelers better throw everything they have to bring in Rodgers next year after Ben retires or else Tomlin must not even be trying.
Sure it’s easy to laugh it off, because you have hindsight. Obviously those were QBs after Cowher left, but there were all kinds of QBs from 95 to 2000 that Cowher could have pinned for when they became FA or even trade for. Some were excellent game managers and top rated in the league during those times. Rich Gannon was one. He could have been recruited when left KC to OAK. Although, Stewart was still there. Kerry Collins after Beuerline won the job. Plummer, Brad Johnson even Mark Brunell all possibles during that time frame. A heck of a lot better than Graham who I‘d guess wasn’t even in the top 30 list of QBs before signing with PIT playing FOR the starting job. so to paint it on someone’s forehead, Cowher, regardless to when he got Ben, before did not prioritize QBs in his scheme. Even when Ben showed up, he wasn’t the showcase of the offense, the Bus and Willie Parker were.

I’m not trying to get into a pissing contest Fan, but your last sentence has less sense about logic even as a joke than disseminating your position on the topic.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
So are you.
Three words: Tomlin. Clock management.
Ok Ron has something I’ll agree with to a point. Tomlin‘s clock management isn’t great, but has improved. Still not up to par. I also hope that Canada dumps running the play clock ALL THE WAY DOWN to 01 before the snap. Maybe that’s Ben’s decision because he likes to see the defense as they make their adjustments, but for God sake, couldn’t Randy just optioned three plays to choose from in the huddle and have Ben decide at the line which play to audible to with less predictability to the snap?

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
So are you.
Three words: Tomlin. Clock management.
I'll stick to mine, Ben not being hurt because of the walking PF Burfict and the Bengals don't even sniff a comeback.

When Ben went down, Landry couldn't move the offense at all.