• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pens Hockey 2021?

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Tanev is a a guy who’s easy to root for but let’s be real. He was making too much money for too many years as a fourth liner. I still don’t understand the McCann move because the Penguins essentially lost two players in the expansion draft. This looks to be nothing more than clearing cap space meaning they probably feel good about someone on the roster stepping in for McCann and will look for a cheap replacement for Tanev.

The McCann trade makes a lot of sense. It was known that the Crackpipes wanted Tanev and McCann. Instead of losing two guys for nothing, we at least got a guy we had some interest in for his loss. We have a lot of cap space now and the kid.

Tanev was a bigger loss than some realize. I hope the new leadership team can make this work going forward. We need to be more gritty, less preppy.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The McCann trade makes a lot of sense. It was known that the Crackpipes wanted Tanev and McCann. Instead of losing two guys for nothing, we at least got a guy we had some interest in for his loss. We have a lot of cap space now and the kid.

Tanev was a bigger loss than some realize. I hope the new leadership team can make this work going forward. We need to be more gritty, less preppy.
How would the Penguins lose two guys for nothing when Seattle could only take one from them?

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score

If you're a Maple Leafs fan, you have to be pissed at Dubas. They lost a draft pick and a developmental player for nothing.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Flyers looking to improve by adding Rasmus Ristolainen from Buffalo. Their top four is gonna be stout. Kinds sucks watching the Pens stand pat.

Vader

Reaction score
I know there is time left but IMHO this is not looking good for the Pens. The "core" is a year older and I don't see the depth to contend for a cup. There comes a point where you either need to move on or stock up for a run. Sitting in between is what gets you run over. They are talented enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to win a playoff series. Terrible position to be in.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Flyers also traded Voracek to Columbus for Cam Atkinson. They are gonn be a tough out this season.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Flyers looking to improve by adding Rasmus Ristolainen from Buffalo. Their top four is gonna be stout. Kinds sucks watching the Pens stand pat.
I really wanted Ristolainen. The flyers are going to be a really tough go this season

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
2 big Flyers moves and the Pens sit back and watch! Hart bounces back in goal and they will be brutal to play against. They will have someone on Sid's line all day just hitting them every second. Pens need to be able to play that game back. Divisions going back to Pre-Covid but still will have to play Caps and B's some and now mix in all of the west teams. woohoo, if nothing happens Pens could miss playoffs.

Reactions: JMM

Vader

Reaction score
2 big Flyers moves and the Pens sit back and watch! Hart bounces back in goal and they will be brutal to play against. They will have someone on Sid's line all day just hitting them every second. Pens need to be able to play that game back. Divisions going back to Pre-Covid but still will have to play Caps and B's some and now mix in all of the west teams. woohoo, if nothing happens Pens could miss playoffs.
I think Sid can get them in the playoffs if he stays healthy... but still one and done after that. This team just isn't built to win now.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
The Pens need Jarry to step up his game way up or bring in someone that will. Also, they need some of the younger guys from WBS to bring it to the Big Club. They don't have money for FA and their pieces are not that attractive, if they have many to dangle. The Pens are in a rough spot, strapped.

SteelerinMD

Forefather
Reaction score
I agree all the way around with most and WE all see that the only one to win is to a have a physical presence on the back end and at least one on each forward line. HAVE to be able to clear the crease, hit back when being hit and protect your stars. Not a goon game like others play, just physical aspect. Guys like Engelland, Cole, Reeves, Kunitz, Cooke, Hornquist, Talbot, ect... Grit is a good word we have all used. Hoping Burke/Hex have a plan. Many still say a big trade could be in order. McCann and Tanev saved some money. Make the team BETTER and stop going with status quo like things are ok and they are just missing, cause they are a one and done team, not almost there.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree all the way around with most and WE all see that the only one to win is to a have a physical presence on the back end and at least one on each forward line. HAVE to be able to clear the crease, hit back when being hit and protect your stars. Not a goon game like others play, just physical aspect. Guys like Engelland, Cole, Reeves, Kunitz, Cooke, Hornquist, Talbot, ect... Grit is a good word we have all used. Hoping Burke/Hex have a plan. Many still say a big trade could be in order. McCann and Tanev saved some money. Make the team BETTER and stop going with status quo like things are ok and they are just missing, cause they are a one and done team, not almost there.
We definitely need a Kunitz or Reaves or Hornqvist.
Even a Brooks Orpik type. The dude could hit when he needed. Although he was shy in dropping the gloves.

I hated Cooke. Lol. Even in a pens uni, I could not cheer for that guy

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
From my hockey sense given the age and the fact they are collegiate, I’d say these are future moves. Not winning now mentality. I was reading up on the picks, sounds promising.

Maybe a splash in free agency this season.
I agree. I can see them waiting to make a run when Geno and Letang are gone.

SteelerinMD

Forefather
Reaction score
Reported today that Rutherford had a deal in place for a trade a year or so ago. Agreed by all parties awaiting owner approval, nope Vegas owner nixed it, said I am not trading the face of my franchise and especially not back to where he started in Pittsburgh . Then the ******* releases the guy without a phone call? Also heard Pens in talks for MAF. He had trade approval clause and could have retired. Many think was his easiest way back to Burgh

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Guess I don't need to root for Vegas any more. Bunch of freaking weirdos with their bizarre pregame BS..
I did like the Elvis fans lol.
That market is good for the nhl. As long as they help the league grow.

I’m a Pens fan. But will root for anyone but the flyers, caps and B’s to win it.