• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Need to Trade for a WR

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
They need a WR that can take the top off the defense. Claypool can in theory but he doesn't do it because he doesn't understand how to get open. He just tries to outrun the DB. Sometimes he does but that's not how you get open. You have to change speeds or fake a move inside and got outside or vice versa. The DB always knows where Claypool is going. That would be fine if Claypool had ball skills and could make contested catches. Anquan Bolden was probably never open by more that 6 inches in his career but get the ball near him and he's pulling it down.

JuJu and Washington don't have the speed. DJ does have the speed but he's needed to run the underneath routes.

Here's a few guys i think they should inquire about

Denzel Mims Jets. Mims was a healthy scratch 2 weeks in a row. The Jets installed a shanahan like offense and Mims is not a fit at all. He's the #5 WR. Maybe you can get him for a reasonable cost. Mims is a bit like Claypool in that he't not a great route runner but he has great ball skills in going up and getting contested deep balls.

KJ Hamler Denver. Hamler has tremendous speed and has already made some big plays in the NFL. Denver has Sutton and Jeudy as their top 2 and they use Tim Patrick quite a bit. Maybe they will part with Hamler

Devatne Parker Miami - The dolphins are struggling mightily. Rumor is they want to trade for Deshaun Watson. If that's the case then maybe they will part with Parker for more draft ammo to get Watson. Kind of like how they gave up on Minkah.

Preston Williams Miami - Williams made some big plays last year before getting injured. Now this year he's buried on the depth chart. Maybe he can be had for cheap.

Scour the Practice Squads. They need somebody who can get open deep and actually make the catch. Doesn't have to be a complete player. A One trick pony will so. But they need something because defenses are not backing off until they prove they can complete some deep balls.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't be against it. But this whole group plays soft as baby **** (minus JuJu) and that's a coaching issue IMO. And Chase baffles me because I saw him run a few savvy routes last season.

Now he just seems more concerned with pointing that he got a first down while we're down 14 points.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
has anyone ever mentioned Marquez Stevenson? He is a WR and PR, made the Bills roster but is on IR with a foot injury (which was already bothering him when he returned a punt or a TD in preseason

steelreeling

Reaction score
i wouldnt think a 2nd rounder for Hamler would be so terrible.

steelreeling

Reaction score
Can this wr play left or right tackle or one of the three interior line positions.
Legit, i thought the line markedly improved when they put in The Hass and The Haeg.

If Banner comes back... and he's a legit RT - we might be like, at par. Who knows?

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
No. Trading for a wr only exacerbates the idea that this team is potentially in the hunt for the postseason this year. They are not. Once Ben is retired, they actually need to suck it up and get as much draft capital as possible, a true rebuild. Obviously a top 10 (if not top-5) pick to try and get our next franchise qb

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
They need to put Harris in motion and get him the ball out the open field!!!! teams putting everyone in box motion Harris into the slot no safety or corner can cover him… that’s what Haley did with bell… this offense is garbage… just like last year it runs sideline to sideline they need to go outside the org and get an offensive brain get rid of these journeyman. How in the *** do we have an exPitt cord as our cord?? We need some ppl fired but sick saying it

madinsomniac

Reaction score
They need to put Harris in motion and get him the ball out the open field!!!! teams putting everyone in box motion Harris into the slot no safety or corner can cover him… that’s what Haley did with bell… this offense is garbage… just like last year it runs sideline to sideline they need to go outside the org and get an offensive brain get rid of these journeyman. How in the *** do we have an exPitt cord as our cord?? We need some ppl fired but sick saying it
We motioned Harris to the slot a couple of times this year… none of that is working because the oline is allowing pressure up the middle faster than routes develop more often than not and they aren’t blitzing so there is a guy in the short middle just hanging around most of the time… when an oline is thoroughly leaky the defense is less likely to overload trying to beat it…

Yeah they are bringing a bunch of guys in the box sometimes but they are all backing off into coverage… we dont have anyone except claypool who scares safeties off…

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
No. Trading for a wr only exacerbates the idea that this team is potentially in the hunt for the postseason this year. They are not. Once Ben is retired, they actually need to suck it up and get as much draft capital as possible, a true rebuild. Obviously a top 10 (if not top-5) pick to try and get our next franchise qb
I wish they would have started this already this past off-season.

steelhurt

Reaction score
The OL cannot run block or pass protect. Ben is too old,slow, immobile, and getting sacked and hit way too much and won’t last much longer. This is not the Ben from yesteryear who has lost his ability to escape the rush and extend plays. Sorry, but that’s where we are with this offense.
Defense cannot do what the do best with TJ and Highsmith out, Alieu (spelling) and Tuitt out. No pressure on QB! CB’s being exposed with aging Haden and.green Pierre, and Minkah trying to do too much.
Throw in terrible coaching and poor game plan and you have recipe for disaster. Long season coming.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
It seems the problems are too deep to trade for one guy to fix it. If there are no real QBs out there, play what we have next year and stock up for the year after that.

I have been a bit quiet on my Tomlin opinions of late, but I'm hoping he is gone soon. There just isn't the needed inovation or out-coaching from this team. It needs to change.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
A WR is way down on the list of needs for this team. We need a starting OL. Schobert was a nice pick up who can help beyond this year. Ingram was also a good pick up. Turner is TBD. With Green now hurt (not sure how bad), Banner not back and Chuks sucking so bad, they absolutely need a legit starting OL. That is the only trade they should even be considering right now but I doubt they can make it happen. Colbert has done so much magic over the past few years, I'm not sure he has another rabbit in his hat.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
I wouldn’t shove any more chips into the middle on this season when our hole cards appear to be 2-7

We aren’t bluffing anyone and we’re gonna need every pick we have to invest in OL and Ben’s replacement moving forward.

Does this alleged receiver turn 2 yard screens into filet mignon? If not pass on investing more into this edition of the Stillers.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
To take the top off, you need an O-line that can block long enough and a QB that can hit someone long in stride. We don't have either, unless we are going to change QB's.

Steelers1356

Reaction score
We have the same receivers who got plenty of separation last season, for whatever reason Ben's just missing them or not hitting them in stride this year, kind of the same problem Ben had late last season when his arm wore down. One example, Washington bolting down the sideline yesterday and Ben overthrowing him by 10 yards.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I personally don’t see us trading for a player unless it’s a late round pick like we did for Schobert. I know Jets already received calls about Denzel Mims(probably from us) and they quickly squashed those talks. I’m not sure what other team has a talented receiver not suiting up on Sunday’s. My guess is our best option is to snag a PS player.

Ja’Marcus Bradley WR Browns
We’ve had decent luck with Ragin’ Cajuns and Bradley was a contested catch king in Louisiana. Great hands, adjusts to the ball extremely well considering he didn’t have the best qb play, and surprised a little with a 4.4 forty.

Myron Mitchell WR Vikings
Seemed to be an ascending player coming into the 2020 draft but covid probably stunted his year and he was part of a covid scare this year that probably hurt his odds at the 53 man. But the big handed receiver can definitely stretch the field.

Dillon Stoner WR Raiders
Stoner reminds me of Edelman in the fact he’s not the biggest or fastest but he’s tough and wins with effort and smarts. Reliable hand catcher who tracks and adjusts to the ball well. Feel his passion for football might be something that could rub off on all our receivers.

suncitysteel

Soli Deo Gloria
Forefather
Reaction score
We have the same receivers who got plenty of separation last season, for whatever reason Ben's just missing them or not hitting them in stride this year, kind of the same problem Ben had late last season when his arm wore down. One example, Washington bolting down the sideline yesterday and Ben overthrowing him by 10 yards.
I did wonder at the time... would Rudy have connected with JW on that one? I mean, they did that numerous times as teammates.... both at OK St & here.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We have enough speed to send someone deep, we just don't do it. And, if we do, it's usually in the 2nd half. If Claypool, Diontae, or even JuJu are man-on-man, they should be sent deep during the 1st series of the game - especially Claypool. No one can cover him and he runs all the routes. It's not like he's a one-trick poney by any stretch like some on here like to call him. Hopefully, they will start doing that and the WR's will start getting on the same page with Ben instead of seeing Ben throw to open spaces several times every game.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
from what i saw yesterday, our OL is extremely consistent.

cant run block
cant pass block
can be counted on to negate nice gains by holding

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
I may be in the minority but I say take our lumps and let the young guys sink or swim. We need to know if they can come together or need replaced. Receivers are not the problem if we can block and run. I see great individual blocks from the young guys then I see them **** the bed. If they learn to communicate and Banner can get healthy I think we will be ok in the long run. If Ben gets maimed it isn't likely shortening his career much anyway. I personally think the biggest problem is Greene having to think too much and isn't ready to call the set adjustments confidently because he is unsure of himself. He will learn as they all will as the season goes on. They are 5 individuals with talent. They are not yet a line.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

NYSteel

Reaction score
I would support a trade of any kind if the situation was assessed as being 'one player away' from an SB run.

This team is at least 6 players away. Right now, we might be looking at 4-13 or 5-12. Take the high picks.