• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Fan Spreads Ashes at Heinz Field: Steelers Condemn

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
In one of the rare instances of something happening inside Heinz Field that is not football related, one fan got themselves in big trouble. Apparently the dead is not on the Pittsburgh Steelers list of things that can be put on the field.

A story from WTAE details a report about a fan who went to the game over the weekend and dumped the ashes of a deceased family member on the field’s south end zone. Of course, a spokesperson for the Steelers said that this display was against the rules. The spokesperson came out and said that the fan did not have permission to drop the ashes and also went on to say that that they have never accommodated requests like this and don’t plan on allowing this in the future.

“Heinz Field Management does not permit or condone such actions,” a statement from the team read. “While we respect those fans who may be interested in honoring a family member by spreading their family’s ashes inside the stadium, Heinz Field cannot accommodate those requests due to state and local regulations.”

In one of the most bizarre stories to come out of this weekend, there has not been any arrest or consequences for this fan at the time of this piece.

Hopefully, this fan will think twice next time about his deceased relatives.

What is the craziest thing you have seen at or inside of Heinz Field? Let me know in the comments!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I told ol girl a while back years ago... I wanted my ashes spread between Heinz field and Latrobe. I might have to change it to Latrobe now. ****.

Buster

Reaction score
I don’t see the big deal…they replace the turf after the thanksgiving high school games anyway.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Unless the fan was bragging or made it a little to public how the HELL did anyone find out. This is one of those things that should have been kept private but I'm sure it "facebooked" and thus the scolding.

With no disrespect to the deceased I think it's Iconic and should continue. I'd bet there would be an abundance of applicants and It could be sold in spots of future at home dates............... imagine the revenue

DIC bid $5800.00 for a home game Decenber 18, 2048. (projected death so you're up like it or not) Ashes spread.

Could sell home and away (ashes spread at Heinz on the away games. Start a shrine wall and for X amount the deceased can their name on a plaque.........

Hell of a money maker for the STEELERS and I'm sure the NFL would exploit this to the full degree..........................

Salute the nation

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
"Ashes to ashes - win to win"

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
I had nothing to do with it.

That scene was comedic genius IMO.

"Theodore Donald Kerabatsos" - and the ashes getting on the dude with just that look on his face.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
That scene was comedic genius IMO.

"Theodore Donald Kerabatsos" - and the ashes getting on the dude with just that look on his face.
The article said some ashes got on people seated nearby, so I immediately thought of The Big Lebowski.
I'm a funeral director, the article has comments from a guy I know who works down the road from me, in Pennsylvania you may scatter ashes on private property with the landowner's permission. Heinz Field is private property (I think) but obviously you don't have the owner's permission. Scattering on public lands or waterways is illegal.
I advise people on what is legal and what isn't, but once I give the family the urn I'm finished and what they do with it is on them.
If the Steelers wanted to be forward-thinking maybe they should start a scattering garden on the premises and make a few bucks from it.

Last edited:

steelreeling

Reaction score
Unless the fan was bragging or made it a little to public how the HELL did anyone find out. This is one of those things that should have been kept private but I'm sure it "facebooked" and thus the scolding.

With no disrespect to the deceased I think it's Iconic and should continue. I'd bet there would be an abundance of applicants and It could be sold in spots of future at home dates............... imagine the revenue

DIC bid $5800.00 for a home game Decenber 18, 2048. (projected death so you're up like it or not) Ashes spread.

Could sell home and away (ashes spread at Heinz on the away games. Start a shrine wall and for X amount the deceased can their name on a plaque.........

Hell of a money maker for the STEELERS and I'm sure the NFL would exploit this to the full degree..........................

Salute the nation
Why is it that i agree with this 100%? am i sick?

it just seems - idk - honorable for some people's last wish.

steelreeling

Reaction score
The article said some ashes got on people seated nearby, so I immediately thought of The Big Lebowski.
I'm a funeral director, the article has comments from a guy I know who works down the road from me, in Pennsylvania you may scatter ashes on private property with the landowner's permission. Heinz Field is private property (I think) but obviously you don't have the owner's permission. Scattering on public lands or waterways is illegal.
I advise people on what is legal and what isn't, but once I give the family the urn I'm finished and what they do with it is on them.
If the Steelers wanted to be forward-thinking maybe they should start a scattering garden on the premises and make a few bucks from it.
But are those ashes that you give real? i mean, is that, at least in part, the remains of the loved one or is that just carbon that you put in the urn which is just symbolic?

Enquiring minds wanna know.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
But are those ashes that you give real? i mean, is that, at least in part, the remains of the loved one or is that just carbon that you put in the urn which is just symbolic?

Enquiring minds wanna know.
Yes. It's the ground up hard bits. We look like Sakrete, in case you wondered.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
My guess is they weren't discrete about it.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
My guess is they weren't discrete about it.

They should have had sacks inside their trousers, kind of like the great escape, and marched along while releasing slowly.

Salute the nation

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
They should have had sacks inside their trousers, kind of like the great escape, and marched along while releasing slowly.

Salute the nation
I was thinking the same after seeing the "discrete" post. Someone with access to the field could easily start a side hustle: "Discrete Sakrete".

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
And the smell, when you pick up the container for the first time... that's something that sticks with you.

I will forever associate that sickly smell with my brother's death.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking the same after seeing the "discrete" post. Someone with access to the field could easily start a side hustle: "Discrete Sakrete".

We will have to cut Ron in as he has the connections but you and I can sew the bags and transport to the field. I'll sell "futures", Ron processes them and if by some chance they haven't expired on their "futures" date, well you get to handle that part.

Salute the nation

Last edited:

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Scattering garden. Why are we not marketing this?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
We will have to cut Ron in as he has the connections but you and I can sew the bags and transport to the field. I'll sell "futures", Ron processes them and if by some chance they haven't expired on their "futures" date, well you get to handle that part.
Once I give someone the urn, I'm done and out of it. I can advise people what is legal and what isn't but what they do with the ashes after that is on them.

Steelmann

Reaction score
I told ol girl a while back years ago... I wanted my ashes spread between Heinz field and Latrobe. I might have to change it to Latrobe now. ****.

You know Slash,from little on I used to tell my son ( who is just as big of a B&G fan) “ Son when I go ,I want you to rent a helicopter,and on game day I want you to drop my ashes over Heinz Field “
As he progressively got older he would ask questions.
But Dad,if I drop you from helicopter the wind would just blow it right up at me. Gross.
But Dad if you made it all the way down it would go all over the people and players. Gross.
Things like these were his comments over the years,until he got a little older.
And then it was” Dad,it’s not ******* happening. Can you imagine a chopper hovering over sold out Heinz Field. They’d shoot us out of the sky.”
Being a parent of course I’d have to guilt him a bit. “Son,it’s my last request. Don’t you love me enough to make this happen “