• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pens hockey 21-22

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Back where he belongs...Home of the Golden Showers...

Their pre-game is so friggin bizarre. Perfect for Vegas though I guess..
Vegas showtime. Good for them and their fans

SanDiegoSteeler

Reaction score
Tuned in at the 7 minute mark of the 1st period.

Appeared to me we were skating circles around the Lightning.
I was trying to figure out where our Stars were. Checked the internet during the 1st break so now I am up to speed.

That was a dang enjoyable game to watch!
Hope Thursdays's game is on out here.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Damn good start! A lot more of that please. No Sid,no Geno...no problem!

Reactions: JMM

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoyed this game. Call me crazy, but the Pens just seem to play a much tighter, higher intensity team game without Sid and Geno. It's gritty and fun to watch. If they are going to keep playing that way, I'm thinking Geno and Sid should take their time getting back, come back fully healthy.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
TB looked like the most disinterested team to put on skates. Granted, it's Oct and the season is long. Plus, they came off their 2nd Cup run. That is a grind for a team. Pens fans know it well.
The Pens just looked like the better, hungrier team last night. Even more bizarre was keeping TB's goalie pulled. Three empty net goals was a bonus. Excellent win!

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoyed this game. Call me crazy, but the Pens just seem to play a much tighter, higher intensity team game without Sid and Geno. It's gritty and fun to watch. If they are going to keep playing that way, I'm thinking Geno and Sid should take their time getting back, come back fully healthy.

It was like this last year. Only problem is that they seem to get super disinterested or distant when Sid returned. It was like they no longer took charge of their own game, and waited for Sid to tell them what to do. Kappy and Tanev were the exceptions, IMO.

I hope that virus doesn't spread this time, but that they stay this gritty, capable team, only with Sid now on point.

Reactions: MTC

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
It was like this last year. Only problem is that they seem to get super disinterested or distant when Sid returned. It was like they no longer took charge of their own game, and waited for Sid to tell them what to do. Kappy and Tanev were the exceptions, IMO.

I hope that virus doesn't spread this time, but that they stay this gritty, capable team, only with Sid now on point.
That would be a great question for Sully. Why does the team seem to play a more complete game when the stars are out of the lineup? Even Geno ups his game when Sid is out. It's like they try to play too cute/perfect when he is on the ice. I recall Phil mentioning their record without Sid and/or Geno and it was pretty damn good. Like 8-2 or something like that last year.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

The guys now earned their stripes. They shouldn’t have to rely on Sid to elevate their game when he returns

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
That would be a great question for Sully. Why does the team seem to play a more complete game when the stars are out of the lineup? Even Geno ups his game when Sid is out. It's like they try to play too cute/perfect when he is on the ice. I recall Phil mentioning their record without Sid and/or Geno and it was pretty damn good. Like 8-2 or something like that last year.
That’s it. They try to play too cute. When you have guys like Crosby and Malkin it’s easy to let up and let them create the chances. When they are out of the lineup, it’s all hands on deck.

If they can keep grinding when those two are in the lineup this team can go far

Reactions: JMM

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
The guys now earned their stripes. They shouldn’t have to rely on Sid to elevate their game when he returns
Right. And, I remember this conversation in last year's thread. Who gets demoted? It sucks, because, assuming they keep this level of play up, someone busts his butt and get sent to the Baby Pens. I hope Sully is looking at the Sid dynamic for the return. If that fall off repeats, there is an issue. If Sid left and went to a pretty good team, you would expect that team to be great because he is added. That was not what our pretty good team had last year.

Makes a guy wonder.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Right. And, I remember this conversation in last year's thread. Who gets demoted? It sucks, because, assuming they keep this level of play up, someone busts his butt and get sent to the Baby Pens. I hope Sully is looking at the Sid dynamic for the return. If that fall off repeats, there is an issue. If Sid left and went to a pretty good team, you would expect that team to be great because he is added. That was not what our pretty good team had last year.
Makes a guy wonder.
If the falloff repeats its because these guys sit back relying on an aging superstar.

If they remain aggressive with Sid in the lineup. They’ll be a fun group to watch

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score

I have spoken about the deference to Sid and Geno here often. Too many players have open shots or plays to be made and they pass it off to Sid or Geno just so they can try some ridiculously low percentage return pass or drop pass. That team Tuesday night was fast, hungry and probably as physical as the Pens have been as a team in years. Give me that all season long. If Sid and Geno can fit into that concept (hardy har har), they'll be that much better.

Steelersreign

Contributor
Reaction score
Penguins trying to come back tonight.
Down 2-1 now

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Penguins trying to come back tonight.
Down 2-1 now
I missed the first period, but we had two partial 5-3 PPs in the second, and no goals? Not good.

Hate seeing Horny on the ice for anyone but us.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I missed the first period, but we had two partial 5-3 PPs in the second, and no goals? Not good.

Hate seeing Horny on the ice for anyone but us.
O’Conner brings a more aggressive forecheck. He’s missed tonight. I like Heinen, but I think O’Conner needs to be in the lineup