• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Devin Bush

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Funny I thought we got both of those guys because they were supposed to improve our pass D.
Bush hasn’t been the same since his injury last season. I’d imagine he’s probably having a bunch of overthinking as he’s playing

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
Read that yesterday in the Pittsburgh Tribune, writer showed some PFF passer ratings vs our inside lbs. I don't pay much attention to PFF but it showed Spillane far better vs. pass than Schobert and Bush. Again, there's a ton of variables regarding those projections and I'm willing to give Bush some injury slack but I would really like to see improvement as season progresses. Otherwise the dreaded draft "B" word is really going to gain momentum.

I also thought Schobert was an excellent versatile line backer before coming on board.

As far as I'm concerned this position has been the biggest disappointment on defense and maybe the entire team so far. The OL was expected to struggle especially early and the DBs have played about as expected, average at best. I understand the DL not meeting expectations (other than Heyward).

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Yeah he was quite a force in his rookie season. I think the injury caused him to lose some of his agility or something.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Bush won't be back to 100% until next year. Most players take that long to fully heal from an ACL and he's had a couple of groin issues as well like the rest of the team. But, so far he hasn't lived up to the No. 10 pick. But, Spillane played less than 10 snaps or something like that so, it wasn't much. Schobert hasn't been as good as we were hoping either.

And since we're on the topic of players underperforming, I don't think I'm the only one to think that Minkah definitely is not worth the money he is going to want next year. I certainly wouldn't even entertain giving him the guaranteed money he wants but they did open things up for that with Watt. I would not be surprised if they end up moving on from Minkah. ****, I keep seeing how we should give up Haden for a 5th before the trade deadline so we don't end up with nothing after the season when I would give up Minkah if we could get that 1st back for him but I don't think anyone would give up a 1st for him. Giving up either player before the trade deadline basically is giving up on this season as it would kill our secondary. They are still by far our 2 best players back there.

Steelers1356

Reaction score
Read that yesterday in the Pittsburgh Tribune, writer showed some PFF passer ratings vs our inside lbs. I don't pay much attention to PFF but it showed Spillane far better vs. pass than Schobert and Bush.
PFF should re-watch the Denver game after Bush departed with a groin injury, Denver worked the middle of the field with ease. Still, he's struggled and likely not yet fully recovered from the ACL and groin injuries. I would like to get a full look at him for a stretch of several games when he's completely recovered before making a judgement, hopefully the bye week will give him a chance to get healthy.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Bush won't be back to 100% until next year. Most players take that long to fully heal from an ACL and he's had a couple of groin issues as well like the rest of the team. But, so far he hasn't lived up to the No. 10 pick. But, Spillane played less than 10 snaps or something like that so, it wasn't much. Schobert hasn't been as good as we were hoping either.

And since we're on the topic of players underperforming, I don't think I'm the only one to think that Minkah definitely is not worth the money he is going to want next year. I certainly wouldn't even entertain giving him the guaranteed money he wants but they did open things up for that with Watt. I would not be surprised if they end up moving on from Minkah. ****, I keep seeing how we should give up Haden for a 5th before the trade deadline so we don't end up with nothing after the season when I would give up Minkah if we could get that 1st back for him but I don't think anyone would give up a 1st for him. Giving up either player before the trade deadline basically is giving up on this season as it would kill our secondary. They are still by far our 2 best players back there.
You want to see our D REALLY take a dive, give up Minkah... The splash plays might not be there, but trust me when I say we need him.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You want to see our D REALLY take a dive, give up Minkah... The splash plays might not be there, but trust me when I say we need him.
I don't but everyone is bashing Bush and I have seen in multiple places where they are saying the Steelers should give up Haden for a 5th. My comment to that is it would be tanking the season as I stated in my previous comment. If they were even thinking of trading Haden, then just trade Minkah if you could get a 1st back for him. Losing either one would tank the season. Haden will hit FA and I can't see us signing Minkah for what he wants so he very well may hit FA after his 5th year unless they tag him. Minkah could still improve but he certainly isn't as good as he appeared to be when he got here late in the 2019 season. He's good, don't get me wrong but I don't know that I would pay him top 5 money like he's going to want. I'd offer him a good contract like they always do not what he thinks he's worth.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Bush hasn’t been the same since his injury last season. I’d imagine he’s probably having a bunch of overthinking as he’s playing
He wasn't doing much before the injury. Was he?

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Better than what he’s doing now

Bush was showing the athleticism and ability that made him the reason we traded up. The injury has definitely changed his play, and it's clearly still on his mind, as is with most people that have that injury.
I don't but everyone is bashing Bush and I have seen in multiple places where they are saying the Steelers should give up Haden for a 5th. My comment to that is it would be tanking the season as I stated in my previous comment. If they were even thinking of trading Haden, then just trade Minkah if you could get a 1st back for him. Losing either one would tank the season. Haden will hit FA and I can't see us signing Minkah for what he wants so he very well may hit FA after his 5th year unless they tag him. Minkah could still improve but he certainly isn't as good as he appeared to be when he got here late in the 2019 season. He's good, don't get me wrong but I don't know that I would pay him top 5 money like he's going to want. I'd offer him a good contract like they always do not what he thinks he's worth.
Minkah was never the poster boy for solid tackling, it's his coverage that makes him good. QB's are staying away from his side of the field quite often. And why not with Pierre and Edmunds on the other side...

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
i would give Bush a pass for injuries except that he wasn't that good before injury and i don't think he was great in college either. He was pretty good at Michigan but he was never a guy who took over games. In other words, he was not a top 10 pick.

Besides, I don't see a guy held back by injury. He's not a step slow. He's not having trouble with change of direction. His problem is that he's small and maybe not very smart. He's always trying to run around blocks and gets out of position. His speed does seem to show up some in coverage but i also see balls thrown over his head pretty often.

His problems are magnified with the loss of Alualu because he has to take on more blocks and he sucks at it.

The steelers seem to have gone more for athletic ability and sparq scores in the draft. That's fine but they need to value football IQ more than they do.

Tomlin has never seemed to value IQ. Even guys like Timmons and Dupree who turned out to be good, took like 4 years to develop. You can't have that.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
The steelers also showed they were wary of Bush's development in the offseason. With a lot of needs, they drafted an ILB. Then they traded for Schobert. To me that's more than being concerned with Bush's recovery. That's them thinking he may be a bust. Maybe not bust, but just an average starter, like Edmunds.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Bush has definitely been a disappointment thus far and not close to worth the capital we gave up to acquire him. That being said I hope he turns it around during his time here as unlikely as that may be because he’ll likely pull something trying to turn around and be out for 4-8 weeks.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Bush was never very good before the injury. Now he's horrendous. I've never seen a starting NFL inside linebacker with poorer vision and instincts while attempting to defend the run. He has no clue where the ball carrier is heading. Ever.

Reactions: JMM

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
Injury or not, he may simply not have the tools to do what it takes to be a game changer. He's had a couple good games but how many teams are game planning to avoid the guy? I think they just need to start planning for the next man up.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
I disagree with those saying he wasn't good before the injury. We saw a serious change in rushing defense when he went out and started to give up outside runs. He was quietly making a difference.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Bush was never very good before the injury. Now he's horrendous. I've never seen a starting NFL inside linebacker with poorer vision and instincts while attempting to defend the run. He has no clue where the ball carrier is heading. Ever.
The FO saw something. We’re stuck with him this season

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
The steelers also showed they were wary of Bush's development in the offseason. With a lot of needs, they drafted an ILB. Then they traded for Schobert. To me that's more than being concerned with Bush's recovery. That's them thinking he may be a bust. Maybe not bust, but just an average starter, like Edmunds.
Bust or headcase

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
I disagree with those saying he wasn't good before the injury. We saw a serious change in rushing defense when he went out and started to give up outside runs. He was quietly making a difference.
I don't think anyone is stating he was not good but just not a player that is a game changer on D. He's been pretty much average, maybe a tick above on a good day. Again hopefully he wakes up and see's the opportunity that's been afforded to him.