• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is it time to sit Moore for a bit?

madinsomniac

Reaction score
As a 4th round rookie starter at LT, Moore has exceeded any expectations, but he is a rookie and there are productive play walls they hit along the way… it’s obvious to everyone that he is struggling with speed rushes… is it time to use Banner at one of tge Tackle positions, sit Moore, and let him get his technique worked out?

Chicoman

Reaction score
Chuck Okorafor has been our best O-linemen since our 1-3 start. I don't know if you swap him with Moore since he has experience there or give Zach Banner a try who seems like he's was a healthy scratch last night. Moore IMO has been average at best....you really see him struggle when he goes up against a veteran guy like Quinn last night. I'm just glad Mack was inactive for last nights game. He would have eaten Dan Moor alive and been the difference in the game IMO.

steelreeling

Reaction score
After what i saw, i think you sit Moore and insert Banner. And i still hold that Moore has been our best OL.

Moore gave up another ******* 2 clean hits on Big Ben.

You just cannot let your guy have a clean lick on the Q. This true at any position and especially true on the bindside. Sit the rook until he learns how to kick backwards deeper and how to tackle a MFer if he screws the pooch by lunging and whifing. i mean goddamn.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Moore has been flat out bad for weeks. I thought Okorafor was awful last year and Moore is worse. Green hasn’t played particularly well, but has at least flashes some skills. Moore really hasn’t since very early in the season and his play seems to be getting worse.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
No way. Sit Chuks. As I said in another thread. This is his 4th year and he still doesn't get it. I give Banner reps this week at RT against the Lions and I give McFarland reps spelling Najee. There is no way those 2 guys should be inactive on game day.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
I hope they let him play through this because right now he’s motivated to work hard in the film room, the weight room in the coaches meetings if he keeps playing. he’s making progress… if he makes it over this hump he’ll be our left tackle for the next decade… he’s a big fast bruiser… hate to see go in the tank like a lot of young players do after they are benched… he’s has problems but damn his running mate Green was being completely blown out of the hole last night! We were backing up the tape replaying it couldnot believe how bad he was getting trashed but he kept on coming back! I say keep this group together and be looking for a HOF right guard in the draft to go with this bunch… well only go as far as this group can take us and I dont see banner’s knee holding up to be honest… it’s too bad great guy but there isn‘t anything left to learn on the bench for Moore so I say stick with him…. GO STEELERS!!!

Last edited:

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
After what i saw, i think you sit Moore and insert Banner. And i still hold that Moore has been our best OL.

Moore gave up another ******* 2 clean hits on Big Ben.

You just cannot let your guy have a clean lick on the Q. This true at any position and especially true on the bindside. Sit the rook until he learns how to kick backwards deeper and how to tackle a MFer if he screws the pooch by lunging and whifing. i mean goddamn.
Then you give him help. TE...or chip with a RB. Keep putting him out there all by himself isn't good coaching in my opinion. Of course you can't do that on every down but if you mix it in with the right play calls.....

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
He's getting whipped like a rented mule by the speed rush. He seems shifty enough with his feet but looks like his hand usage/base set is bad. Not an OL guru so I'm not quite sure, and I don't know if it's a fix that'll be relatively easy to remedy or if it's long term no bueno. Or maybe his feet aren't that shifty?

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I hope they let him play through this because right now he’s motivated to work hard in the film room, the weight room in the coaches meetings if he keeps playing. he’s making progress… if he makes it over this hump he’ll be our left tackle for the next decade… he’s a big fast bruiser… hate to see go in the tank like a lot of young players do after they are benched… he’s has problems but damn his running mate Green was being completely blown out of the hole last night! We were backing up the tape replaying it couldnot believe how bad he was getting trashed but he kept on coming back! I say keep this group together and be looking for a HOF right guard in the draft to go with this bunch… well only go as far as this group can take us and I dont see banner’s knee holding up to be honest… it’s too bad great guy but there isn‘t anything left to learn on the bench for Moore so I say stick with him…. GO STEELERS!!!
Green needs to put on muscle mass even if it slightly reduces his agility in downfield blocking… he cannot handle big dts yet and thst is a bigger concern that what he does pulling

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Thing is Moore can run block better than Chukes. So it is a difficult decide. So a coach goes with the current starter assuming he will improve down the road. On the other side we have to see Banner overtake Chukes or he is pretty much staying where he is.

steelreeling

Reaction score
Then you give him help. TE...or chip with a RB. Keep putting him out there all by himself isn't good coaching in my opinion. Of course you can't do that on every down but if you mix it in with the right play calls.....
Is it better to coddle him a bit now as a Rook, hoping he'll eventually correct his errors with more in-game reps?

Or do we play him/ sit him with the message that life is ****** short in the NFL and you better put your big-boy pants on right now?

i'm not quite sure.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
He's had back to back games against two of the better pure pass rushers in the league and you guys want to sit him? How about we give him some help. That is what teams are doing to Watt later in games. Chipping with a TE or RB, or flat out double teaming him. There's no shame and giving Moore some help against better competition, even vets need the help from time to time.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Its not clear cut what to do… and its not just about the last two weeks… he obviously is having issues with guys going around him. Thats why the bears kept getting the neutral zone penalties ove top of him they were trying to get a jump around him

He os a better runblocking tackle that chuks

So do you prioritize bens safety or what is better for the run game?

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Banner can't take Moore's Spot, he's only a RT. Chukes would have to flip for Banner to play.
Chuks rides the pine this week. Banner takes his spot. Maybe, someday, Chuks will figure out how to play. I still keep Moore in as he has way more upside than Chuks and from what we saw of Chuks in the preseason, he isn't any better than Moore. The only other option would be if one of our other backups looks better than both Chuks and Moore, then I'd consider it but if it's between Moore and Chuks, I stay with Moore. Give him a little help if needed. ****, they gave Big Al more help than they give the rookie Moore.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Thing is Moore can run block better than Chukes. So it is a difficult decide. So a coach goes with the current starter assuming he will improve down the road. On the other side we have to see Banner overtake Chukes or he is pretty much staying where he is.

THIS

Changing LTs now as an experiment will faulter especially when you don't have a definate better replacement.

Has Dan Moore been perfect, hell no but he has done well to point. He definately has his hands full but Okorafor would have the same thing, his hands full and probably not perform as well.

Moore doesn't seem to get as much help at LT as Okorafor does at RT. It seems there is ore lined up personel on the right than on the left leaving Moore on an island more often that his counter part at RT. I haven't looked or logged tape to this as it's just a eye test.

If they do sit him (doubtful) I hope they are improving the team instead of just shuffling a problem.

Salute the nation

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
mat needs to give moore help put gentry next to help with him

steelreeling

Reaction score
Thats why the bears kept getting the neutral zone penalties ove top of him they were trying to get a jump around him...

So do you prioritize bens safety or what is better for the run game?
I wish, and i mean wish, Canada would change the running system. He won't do it. That stupid little RPO and quick Jett sweep has been oh-so moderately successful in pausing the front 8 and so, Canada just won't do it.

But i think if they did keep Green in and replaced Chuks with Haeg and/or Dot with Finney, they could run the Shanahan outside zone blocking scheme one hell of alot more effectively than the inside-zone, up-the-gut running game right now.

i've seen plenty of times Najee was hit hard, looked to be stopped 3 yards behind the LOS and then dragged the guy with a lean for a 3 yard gain! Najee needs some room. Just give him 18 inches. Best way to do that right now - honestly - is to get him outside the tackle-box.

steelreeling

Reaction score
I wish, and i mean wish, Canada would change the running system. He won't do it. That stupid little RPO and quick Jett sweep has been oh-so moderately successful in pausing the front 8 and so, Canada just won't do it.

But i think if they did keep Green in and replaced Chuks with Haeg and/or Dot with Finney, they could run the Shanahan outside zone blocking scheme one hell of alot more effectively than the inside-zone, up-the-gut running game right now.

i've seen plenty of times Najee was hit hard, looked to be stopped 3 yards behind the LOS and then dragged the guy with a lean for a 3 yard gain! Najee needs some room. Just give him 18 inches. Best way to do that right now - honestly - is to get him outside the tackle-box.
And i think that'll go all long way towards backing off the pass rush to help Moore.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

So you want to possibly change 40% of our line and then think we would be able to run Shanahan's zone blocking scheme...so what actually makes you think that? We have 2 rookies just learning the system we have now and still struggling at times. And to replace another guy on our line with a player who has mostly been a career back up in Finney. And another with Haeg....who hasn't been a starter for a few seasons. Ummm....OK.

madinsomniac

Reaction score

It takes over a year to convert a system completely from one to another and right now Green isn’t big and strong enough to handle bigger dlinemen in the run game …
You will see improvements as the year goes on

They aren’t switching up the blocking scheme midseason and literally wiping out the rest of the year… its just not that easy

These guys are mostly road graters.. they are getting better at drive blocking. Green is best when he is pulling..

steelreeling

Reaction score
So you want to possibly change 40% of our line and then think we would be able to run Shanahan's zone blocking scheme...so what actually makes you think that? We have 2 rookies just learning the system we have now and still struggling at times. And to replace another guy on our line with a player who has mostly been a career back up in Finney. And another with Haeg....who hasn't been a starter for a few seasons. Ummm....OK.
i do. i wanna replace 1 or 2 guys on the OL and run a wildly different system. Something they may not have even ever done before. No ****.

Honest to God, i think the running game sucks **** right now. it can't get any worse at all. And i think you would be shocked at how much better the running game would be if we scrap this half of the season, take the puny vets and get out there and run their ***** off trying to block people in space.

the thing that would do - it would get the ****** boots off Najee's neck.