• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's.......................@ Chargers.....

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, Ben played well enough to win, but he didn't get the job done in the most crucial point of the game. Which he used to do regularly earlier in his career.
What the **** was Ben supposed to do when Haeg lets his guy basically go unblocked on 2 consecutive plays leading to a 4th and 38. Ben and the offense gave the defense a lead with less than 4 minutes to go and it took 1 minute for that to change. Anyone blaming anyone but the defense for the loss yesterday is smoking crack.

speedicut

Reaction score
I got tired of watching Green get shoved backwards, he's not the answer at center.

Our defensive strategy seemed to be to let the Bolt's offense wear themselves out with all the scoring. Certainly TJ/Minkah/Hayden were missed but that's time for other players to step up. Allowing them to score on every possession is embarrassing...

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Humphrey gave up two sacks against DAL. KC offense doesn‘t look as formidable as the pundits say. Their defense, however…….
LOL. Humphrey has been stout all year. Much better than our rookie center. It's a low bar, but still.

Steel G

Reaction score
Listen, the team on the field isn't very good and the coaching isn't good enough to fix it. It's a minor miracle they were even in position to win that game. The only thing in their favor is how average most of the league is. The NFL is decidedly mediocre this year. The sooner it's over, the better.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Bush needs to sit. It looks like a complete lack of preparation. Zero effort. At any point in the game does he look like a leader?.

He is the QB of the Defense. His game is that of a game day inactive.

Schobert and Spillane should be the starting ILB. There was a reason they started working with Josh Schobert and the green dot almost immediately.

pretty sure shobert is calling the defense

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score
14 of those 37 points were 3-yard and 11-yard touchdown "drives," gifts from the special teams and the defense. That ****** defense also made a 4th down stand in Chargers' territory with under 4 minutes left in a tie game, setting the table for Ben to secure the victory with a few first downs. He proceeded to throw three passes (with two poor incompletions) for a total of 7 yards, and give the ball right back to a Los Angeles offense which was moving the ball with ease most of the game. Did you really have any confidence when the Steelers' offense needed a touchdown drive with over two minutes left and a timeout?

Yes, Ben played well enough to win, but he didn't get the job done in the most crucial point of the game. Which he used to do regularly earlier in his career.
Man did Ben sleep with your ole lady, or sister, mom, ect. cause your contempt for him is over the top. Nothing he does is good enough for you. 278 PY, 3TD's zero INT's. these would be good numbers for any QB. If Rudolph or Haskins would have put up those numbers you would be in every thread spittin out their love.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Game ball
Ben
Dj
Harris for his effort behind a line that just stinks and coaches that will not put a fullback in play more than one play.
Goats
Defense everyone on defense should hang their heads
FU Tomlin and his entire coaching staff....once more what do they do for a game plan

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
What the **** was Ben supposed to do when Haeg lets his guy basically go unblocked on 2 consecutive plays leading to a 4th and 38. Ben and the offense gave the defense a lead with less than 4 minutes to go and it took 1 minute for that to change. Anyone blaming anyone but the defense for the loss yesterday is smoking crack.
I'm wasn't talking about the last drive, I was referring to the drive when the game was tied at 34. Ben and the offense didn't give the defense ****. The defense sucked for most of game, yeah, but they made a crucial stop on 4th-and-1 and gave the ball to him at the Chargers 34 yard line with 3:43 on the clock. Ben threw the ball three times and produced 7 yards, then Boswell kicked a field goal. The **** he's supposed to do there is get a couple of first downs and close the game out.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Man did Ben sleep with your ole lady, or sister, mom, ect. cause your contempt for him is over the top. Nothing he does is good enough for you. 278 PY, 3TD's zero INT's. these would be good numbers for any QB. If Rudolph or Haskins would have put up those numbers you would be in every thread spittin out their love.
What contempt? As poorly as the defense played, they handed the game to Ben on a silver platter with under 4 minutes left, and he did nothing with it. You want to ******* somehow deny that plain fact?

I wouldn't expect Rudolph or Haskins to win the game in that circumstance. I guess expecting Ben to do so was too much to ask. God for-*******-bid. Maybe you've slept with Ben, could that be it?

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm wasn't talking about the last drive, I was referring to the drive when the game was tied at 34. Ben and the offense didn't give the defense ****. The defense sucked for most of game, yeah, but they made a crucial stop on 4th-and-1 and gave the ball to him at the Chargers 34 yard line with 3:43 on the clock. Ben threw the ball three times and produced 7 yards, then Boswell kicked a field goal. The **** he's supposed to do there is get a couple of first downs and close the game out.
So... what I hear you saying is... Ben had 1 bad drive and the defense had 1 good drive. Soooo, ******' BEN!

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So, the offense gave the defense a 3 point lead, and the defense yet again **** the bed and gave it right back. Thanks for agreeing with me.

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score
What contempt? As poorly as the defense played, they handed the game to Ben on a silver platter with under 4 minutes left, and he did nothing with it. You want to ******* somehow deny that plain fact?

I wouldn't expect Rudolph or Haskins to win the game in that circumstance. I guess expecting Ben to do so was too much to ask. God for-*******-bid. Maybe you've slept with Ben, could that be it?
yes I will argue that. Ben doesn't block, Ben doesn't catch the ball. Ben doesn't commit holding penalty's. Ben doesn't run the ball. Ben doesn't throw the yellow flag or better yet not throw the yellow flag. Ben also does not call the plays. ( or does this only apply Tomlin)

There are ten other people on that offense that could help their QB out of tough spots, and Three coaches on the side line that are a ******* waste of space. Lets start with Canada for the shittest play calling in the NFL game after game, now let move to Klemm and lets go ahead and include Morgan they have put together ZERO schemes for the oline to either pass protect or run block. Now I know you will lose your **** over this but Tomlin is so ******* lost it's almost funny; if it wasn't so ******* sad, and if you can't see it in his eyes you're just as lost as he is.

Lets go ahead and add one more to this list. Rooney for not demanding that they do what ever it took to protect their 38 year old QB that took a huge pay cut to help the team. How in the **** can the owner of the team not make a call and tell his coaches to protect who is most likely the greatest player to ever wear a steelers uniform or at the very least the best QB to ever play in the burg, and one of the best to ever play period. If that would have happened we are probably not only 1st in the division but most likely first in the conference at this point.

But Yeah go ahead and keep blaming Ben. SMDH!

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Ben doesn't get to call plays or run the no-huddle anymore because Canada got rid of it and the plays. That is a huge part of how he was able to win so many games for us throughout his career. We all knew that was occurring earlier this year. Have the plays available and let Ben call them. This is a huge reason Canada should be gone next year but he won't because Tomlin seems to be OK with it or he would have had him reinstitute the no-huddle he got rid of. Here is more from Dulac of the PG about it from his chat today.

pauljr13: Gerry, do you know if Ben called most of the plays in the 4th qtr? I know they were running no-huddle, but it seemed like it was more than just a handful of plays he used. He seemed pretty frustrated at some of the calls being sent to him.
Gerry Dulac: He doesn't call most of the plays anymore, Canada does. And that's not a no-huddle where he has control, that's a two-minute offense with fewer plays and formations where Canada calls the plays.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
So... what I hear you saying is... Ben had 1 bad drive and the defense had 1 good drive. Soooo, ******' BEN!
Don't be stupid. What I said was Ben played well enough to win, but he didn't produce in the most crucial moment of the game.

And btw, 2 of those wonderful "drives" by everyone's hero were set up after an interception by the defense (you know, their other good drive) at the 11 yard line, and a blocked punt by the special teams at the 3 yard line. So half of the 34 points that "Ben put up" were amassed with a total of 21 yards gained, 10 of which were on defensive penalties. And one of those flags was an interference call on the 4th-and-goal pass to Claypool that would have been short of the goal line (imagine that!) had the Chargers simply allowed him to catch the ball and be tackled.

But you go ahead and hear what you want to hear.

Last edited:

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
So, the offense gave the defense a 3 point lead, and the defense yet again **** the bed and gave it right back. Thanks for agreeing with me.
Wrong again. Let me type it slower for you: THE OFFENSE DIDN'T GIVE THE DEFENSE A 3 POINT LEAD, THE DEFENSE GAVE THE STEELERS A 3 POINT LEAD, BECAUSE THEY GAVE THE OFFENSE THE BALL ALREADY IN FIELD GOAL POSITION, THEN BEN FAILED TO GET ENOUGH YARDAGE FOR A SINGLE FIRST DOWN ON THREE PASS ATTEMPTS. THE OFFENSE HAD NOT A THING TO DO WITH GIVING THE STEELERS THE LEAD THERE.

Thanks for making this so easy.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
yes I will argue that. Ben doesn't block, Ben doesn't catch the ball. Ben doesn't commit holding penalty's. Ben doesn't run the ball. Ben doesn't throw the yellow flag or better yet not throw the yellow flag. Ben also does not call the plays. ( or does this only apply Tomlin)
Right. Also, Ben makes no mistakes. Just off the top of my head: Ben didn't underthrow Claypool by five yards for what should have been an easy touchdown in the first half. Ben didn't throw that potential INT where the guy couldn't quite get his foot down inbounds. Ben didn't force the ball into Freiermuth short of the goal line with three defenders right there. Ben didn't throw 2 ****** passes on the aforementioned drive with the game on the line. I must've imagined those things.
There are ten other people on that offense that could help their QB out of tough spots, and Three coaches on the side line that are a ******* waste of space. Lets start with Canada for the shittest play calling in the NFL game after game, now let move to Klemm and lets go ahead and include Morgan they have put together ZERO schemes for the oline to either pass protect or run block. Now I know you will lose your **** over this but Tomlin is so ******* lost it's almost funny; if it wasn't so ******* sad, and if you can't see it in his eyes you're just as lost as he is.

Lets go ahead and add one more to this list. Rooney for not demanding that they do what ever it took to protect their 38 year old QB that took a huge pay cut to help the team. How in the **** can the owner of the team not make a call and tell his coaches to protect who is most likely the greatest player to ever wear a steelers uniform or at the very least the best QB to ever play in the burg, and one of the best to ever play period. If that would have happened we are probably not only 1st in the division but most likely first in the conference at this point.
Why would I lose my **** over you saying Tomlin is lost? I've been one of his most staunch critics for years. No argument with anything else you said.
Jesus. I'm not blaming Ben for the loss.

I'll quote myself again, so maybe this time you'll understand: "Ben played well enough to win, but he didn't get the job done in the most crucial point of the game." Simple as that. If you can't agree with that statement, God bless you.

Last edited:

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Ben doesn't get to call plays or run the no-huddle anymore because Canada got rid of it and the plays. That is a huge part of how he was able to win so many games for us throughout his career. We all knew that was occurring earlier this year. Have the plays available and let Ben call them. This is a huge reason Canada should be gone next year but he won't because Tomlin seems to be OK with it or he would have had him reinstitute the no-huddle he got rid of. Here is more from Dulac of the PG about it from his chat today.

pauljr13: Gerry, do you know if Ben called most of the plays in the 4th qtr? I know they were running no-huddle, but it seemed like it was more than just a handful of plays he used. He seemed pretty frustrated at some of the calls being sent to him.
Gerry Dulac: He doesn't call most of the plays anymore, Canada does. And that's not a no-huddle where he has control, that's a two-minute offense with fewer plays and formations where Canada calls the plays.
Good point. But there are receivers running other routes on those plays called by Canada -- Ben just seems to force the ball into the first read way too often, whether it's covered or not. At least it seems that way.

Steeler

Contributor
Reaction score

I believe the Chargers had all 3 timeouts left. There's no way we were running out the clock on that drive.
How many times have we seen Ben orchestrate 4th quarter drives calling his own plays over the years? Canada appears to have Ben's hands tied, and it's bullshit.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I got tired of watching Green get shoved backwards, he's not the answer at center.

Our defensive strategy seemed to be to let the Bolt's offense wear themselves out with all the scoring. Certainly TJ/Minkah/Hayden were missed but that's time for other players to step up. Allowing them to score on every possession is embarrassing...
There is a very good reason why rookie starters are usually pretty rare in the nfl…

Most guys coming in from college aren’t prepared for the size, strength, and speed of average nfl players… they usually need a season to figure things out, bulk up or gain speed or quickness in an area … and thats even before talking about learning the playbook and understanding the differences in rules.. or the fact that he was a guard switching to center

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

So SPOT on, thanks warriors42.!

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Good point. But there are receivers running other routes on those plays called by Canada -- Ben just seems to force the ball into the first read way too often, whether it's covered or not. At least it seems that way.

Maybe the lack of time might have something to do with it. You know it's not like we have an "ALL PRO" line he is working behind.

Salute the nation

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Game ball to DJ for another excellent performance, as he shuts up all the naysayers yet again.

Goat to Haeg, who is surprisingly awful at guard. I'd keep him at tackle where he plays better, and get Finney in there at OG.

And FU primarily to Canada for his ridiculous play calling, and secondarily to Ben for carrying it out. Just because the stupid ******* play is called to Freiermuth two yards short of the end zone on fourth down, Ben doesn't have to squeeze the ball in to him with three guys there waiting to make the tackle. Throw the ball to somebody else who isn't triple-covered. Or Ben can call an audible out of a stupid ******* jet sweep from the three yard line with eleven defenders in the box. Or Ben can at least look at other options before, for the umpteenth time, dumping it to Najee who is now regularly being blanketed by the defense out of the backfield. It seems like Ben has regressed in Canada's system -- I swear to God, he looks like a rookie out there, almost constantly forcing the ball to his first read, whether it's covered or not.
Dionte is stepping up. Even though I get mad at him for trying to juke and stutter step.

FU definitely goes to canada. So much so, the ****** doesn’t deserve a capital letter to his last name. When Roethlisberger gavr that “idk” look to the sideline, right then and there you knew canada’s play calling is really shackling this team.

I’ve been harsh on Ben for showing his age, but without a doubt he called his own plays and the offense ran so much better.