• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 12

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Who ever wins the conference may the committee sneak ‘em in #4.

My Dawgs may see your Cougars Coolie

I'll be conflicted as I have part ownership in both teams.

Salute the nation

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Can UH hang /beat them ? I get the "any given sunday"

Salute the nation
Their season stats are very similar. If UH can stuff the run and get pressure with their front 4 they can beat cincy. Tune has to play well and protect the ball. McCaskill their best RB has been knocked out of a couple of games with minor injuries so he has to stay healthy and in the game

and it would help if Jones could take a KR or PR to the house

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
****, ****, ****, fuckety ****. PSU signed Franklin to a 10 year contract. https://gopsusports.com/news/2021/11/23/football-franklin-agrees-to-new-10-year-contract.aspx. 10 more years of losing to OSU, at least 5 losses to Michigan and Iowa. Why? I guess Penn State is comfortable with Tomlinesque mediocrity. Damn.
I never understand these megadeal in sports. From a team perspective, if a player or coach stinks after 3 years, they're on the hook from a lot of money. From a player/coach side, they may be getting above or at market value for the first 4-5 years, but the second half of the deal could potentially be way below what they deserve.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
****, ****, ****, fuckety ****. PSU signed Franklin to a 10 year contract. https://gopsusports.com/news/2021/11/23/football-franklin-agrees-to-new-10-year-contract.aspx. 10 more years of losing to OSU, at least 5 losses to Michigan and Iowa. Why? I guess Penn State is comfortable with Tomlinesque mediocrity. Damn.
Why all the angst? We in Ohio love James Franklin!
Seriously though, his teams have beat tOSU a couple of times, at home, with the white out, etc. I'd be more pissed that it means 10 more years of getting in position to challenge for a tournament spot and then losing to a substandard team. But, with the expansion to 12 teams coming soon, PSU should be in the playoffs every year of Franklin's contract extension. That means he'll probably get another one. :)

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
The Fickell finger of fate is coming for Houston. Luke will have the guys ready to play. If all are healthy it will be a yuge win for UC.
Hope both teams are fully healthy so cincy has nothing to cry about after UH beats them so bad their own mommas disown them

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
If there was a 12-team playoff based on the playoff rankings, here are the matchups:

8. Baylor vs. 9. Ole Miss - winner plays Georgia
7. Oklahoma State vs. 10. Oklahoma - winner plays Ohio State
6. Notre Dame vs. 11. Oregon - winner plays Alabama
5. Michigan vs. 12. Michigan State - winner plays Cincinnati

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
The Fickell finger of fate is coming for Houston. Luke will have the guys ready to play. If all are healthy it will be a yuge win for UC.
I dunno. UH looks pretty good. Those schools tend to fly under the radar and shock you. Like Boise st in the 2000’s

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
It's a great deal for Penn State. Franklin is without a doubt one of the best coaches in college. Now, part of that is because there aren't that many truly great coaches out there.

Lincoln Riley - let me know when he wins something
Ryan Day - inherited a loaded team and had Justin Field fall in his lap and still hasn't won the championship. He seems good but who knows if he's good or just milking off Urban Meyer's team.
Luke Fickel - didn't work out at OSU. Cincy is good but does anybody think they aren't going to get curb stomped in the playoffs?
Dan Mullen- fired
Tim Herman - he's a young genius, gonna bring back Texas. Fired

Franklin has done a great job of building the program. Much of that is off the field. Shocker, but Paterno was old school. When Bill O'Brien showed up he had to fight with the administration to get equipment. They were still using VHS tapes for film study. O'Brien started that ball rolling and Franklin picked it up and now PSU is building top notch facilities. They are also paying more for assistant coaches.

When you look at recruiting, Franklin has been strong. People don;t realize how much sanctions hurt the program. It gutted their depth. It was just because of elite playmakers like Saquon and Allen Robinson and Godwin and Gesicki that they were able to overcome that last of depth. They are just now building real depth and now shooting for the more elite prospects and are starting to get them.

They have young talent coming on the OL. It just takes time to build. Last week they played a true freshman at LT and he graded out very highly in his first action.

The bottom line is that Franklin had a lot of obstacles to overcome with facilities, lack of depth due to sanctions and having several asistants hired away to other jobs. Harbaugh has had none of those obstacles. Harbaugh actually inherited a very talented team and has recruited well and hasn't won ****.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I dunno. UH looks pretty good. Those schools tend to fly under the radar and shock you. Like Boise st in the 2000’s
If UH's QB had not sucked the last 3 quarters of their first game against Texas Tech (they went up 21-0 in the first and them imploded) UH might be getting more attention. They did not have a tough schedule this season but they have taken care of business and did beat one ranked team (at game time ) SMU's first loss was to UH and I think Jones' KR for a TD in the final seconds took their manhood

UH and Cincy season to date stats are very similar. If UH's freshman back McCaskill stays healthy during the game and Tune protects the ball, their defense has been pretty good at getting pressure and hopefully that continues and they force a few mistakes by the cincy QB

Reactions: MTC

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Ryan Day - inherited a loaded team and had Justin Field fall in his lap and still hasn't won the championship. He seems good but who knows if he's good or just milking off Urban Meyer's team.
Day was the recruiting coordinator/OC that helped bring the last 4 years worth of talent into the program. So, I wouldn't say he "inherited" a loaded team. He pretty much built the darned thing. Especially when you consider that he's been the HC at tOSU for 3 years. Three years worth of recruiting classes under his belt and he's kept the pipeline full of talent.
As far as not winning a championship in those three years. Nope, but he's been to the playoffs. Which, I might add, is better than Franklin has produced. I'd venture to say that Mr. Day is as good of, probably better, a coach as James Franklin. ... Strike that, he's definitely better. Head to head results matter.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
If UH's QB had not sucked the last 3 quarters of their first game against Texas Tech (they went up 21-0 in the first and them imploded) UH might be getting more attention. They did not have a tough schedule this season but they have taken care of business and did beat one ranked team (at game time ) SMU's first loss was to UH and I think Jones' KR for a TD in the final seconds took their manhood

UH and Cincy season to date stats are very similar. If UH's freshman back McCaskill stays healthy during the game and Tune protects the ball, their defense has been pretty good at getting pressure and hopefully that continues and they force a few mistakes by the cincy QB
They take care of business and that’s all that matters. Winning the conference and anything can happen. Granted the top dogs of the big 10, SEC etc falter

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
ND played like ****..but then they are always over hyped anyway

10 points in the first half off of turnovers deep in ND territory certainly helped that game
Sure it did but they made the plays. If Ford is fully healthy they will be fine. I would love to see them match up against tOSU in the first round of the playoffs and beat them. Show them Ohio has two teams.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Sure it did but they made the plays. If Ford is fully healthy they will be fine. I would love to see them match up against tOSU in the first round of the playoffs and beat them. Show them Ohio has two teams.
Ford being healthy is important for them. Same as McCaskill being healthy for Houston is...the true Freshman has 16 total TDs this season

Tune and Ridder have very similar stats this year. I think both defenses are similar and have a chance to make the other side one dimensional. Jones provides a spark on special teams and I really home cincy says **** it and challenges him on kickoffs and punts

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
The bigger the game the better they play. Ask the Irish.
Cincy played the Dawgs tough in last years bowl game. However the Dawgs look to be on another level this season. I’m confident with whomever at this point

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Day was the recruiting coordinator/OC that helped bring the last 4 years worth of talent into the program. So, I wouldn't say he "inherited" a loaded team. He pretty much built the darned thing. Especially when you consider that he's been the HC at tOSU for 3 years. Three years worth of recruiting classes under his belt and he's kept the pipeline full of talent.
As far as not winning a championship in those three years. Nope, but he's been to the playoffs. Which, I might add, is better than Franklin has produced. I'd venture to say that Mr. Day is as good of, probably better, a coach as James Franklin. ... Strike that, he's definitely better. Head to head results matter.

maybe Day is better. Time will tell. But the whole point is that there are people hating on Franklin as if there’s a list of 20-30 better coaches they could get. Fans want to win immediately but building a program takes time without a bag man.

I was watching a podcast and the guy said penn state reminds him of clemson from when Dabo first hit there. Clemson had good recruiting classes and were coming close each year but became known for losing big games. Then they finally got Watson at QB and got over the hump. There were people who wanted Dabo gone. Said he couldn’t win the big one.

it would be foolish to get rid of Franklin now.

MB47

Reaction score
What a win by NC STATE beating the Holes !!!!!