• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 13 Rivalry Week

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
College Football Week 13 Rivalry Week

That was fast. We're already at the last week of the college season. Next week is championship games. Let's get right to the most important game of the day as usual.

Penn State at 12 Michigan State 3:30 ABC PSU -4 O/U 52
Franklin and Mel Tucker jusrt signed huge deals to stay at their schools. Some have criticized the Franklin deal but look at what MSU is shelling out for the much less proven Tucker. Baylor is expected to keep Dave Aranda with a big deal as well. Aranda was a hot name for USC.

So how is PSU favored on the road? Because MSU RB Philip Walker was injured last week and may not play. Also, the flu that ripped through PSU last week is now at Mich State and they may be without 20 players and up to 8 starters. But the line started with PSU favored by half a point, so PSU was already getting respect.

Penn State's orffense came alive last week vs Rutgers. Part is Rutgers is not great but a bigger part may be the improved OL play with true freshman OT Landon Tengwall getting his first action and he looked doiminant. Clifford was too sick to play and he must have felt even sicker watching his back sit in the pocket with all day to throw.

Can Penn State build on that success or was it just a mirage vs Rutgers?

1 Georgia at Georgia Tech 12:00 ABC UGA -35 O/U 54.5
all Georgia has to do is survive against a bad GA Tech team and their ticket is officially punched to the playoffs. Even if they were to lose vs Alabama next wee, they're still getting in.

2 Ohio State at 5 Michigan 12:00 Fox OSU -7 O/U 64.5
Ohio State has been rolling offensively. Penn State did give CJ Stroud some problems as he made some mistakes, but PSU has a really talented secondary. Michigan is all about pass rush with their great DE combo. Stroud can get rattled. If Mich can pressure him, they have a chance. If they can't then OSU will probably blow them out.

Penn State played both close. The difference is vs OSU, Penn State was just hanging in there and it felt like OSU could blow it open at any moment. OSU is explosive. Michigan is not explosive. Penn State had that game and their struggling OL did an adequate job of pass protection. This makes me think OSU will be able to do the same.

Mich will have to play a perfect game to win this. McNamara is a game manager who is smart and makes safe plays unless he's pushed to have to make bigger plays, then he can make mistakes.

I don't think Michigan has the DBs to stop OSU. OSU has some big DTs to stuff the run and force Michigan to pass. I think OSU wins comfortably.

24 Houston at Uconn 12:00 CBSSN Hou -32.5 O/U 54.5
UConn is horrible. This will be a blowout. The only signifigance is that Cincy needs Houston as highly ranked as possible to set up their AAC Championship meeting next week. Cincy is still not a lock if undefeated.

3 Alabama at Auburn 3:30 CBS Alabama -20.5 O/U 57

Bo Nix is injured and won't play. Auburn does have a talented defense though and Bama has made their share of mistakes. I don't think Auburn has enough offense to pull off the upset. A funny thing with this game is it could actyually be meaningless. Let's say Bama loses. If the beat UGA next week, they will be gifted a playoff berth. UGA will know that they can lose to Bama and still get in. Will they bring their A game?

14 Wisconsin at Minnesota 4:00 FOX Wisc -7 O/U 39
Wisconsin started slow but is now playing really good ball. They win this game and they are in the Big 10 champ game vs the OSU Mich game. Wisc could be just good enough to maybe deal an upset next week is the OSU Mich winner takes them lightly.

10 Oklahoma at 7 Oklahoma State 7:30 ABC OK St -4.5 O/U 49.5
each team still has just 1 loss. An impressive win by either could make them a viable candidate to screw CIncy out of their playoff spot if they remain unbeaten. Could come in handy to the committe if they can't find a way to shoehorn in Alabama.

6 Notre Dame at Stanford 8:00 FOX ND -20.5 O/U 52.5
ND's only loss is to Cincy. Stanford is bad this year so this game should not be a problem for ND. The committee couldn't possibly put ND in the playoff ahead of an unbeaten Cincy who beat them head to head, could they? COULD THEY? I wouldn't be shocked.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Cincy did their job and won today

They get to host the AAC championship vs Houston

Houston should beat UCon easily, so hopefully they do not over look them and lay a ******* egg. They will still play for the championship regardless, but I want Houston to end up as highly ranked as possible

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
You never know what could happen in "The Big Game". Although tOSU has dominated the series in recent years (decades), there have been some close games mixed in with blowouts. I think Harbaugh gets tight when his team plays against the scarlet and gray and it filters down to his team. On paper this game shouldn't be a blowout and I don't think it will be. But, I think the Buckeyes defense remains underrated, even as they've grown throughout the year. If ttun's offense makes mistakes on par with those made by MSU last week, it's a blowout. I don't think that will happen at home. Buckeyes in a nail biter.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
1 Georgia at Georgia Tech 12:00 ABC UGA -35 O/U 54.5
all Georgia has to do is survive against a bad GA Tech team and their ticket is officially punched to the playoffs. Even if they were to lose vs Alabama next wee, they're still getting in.

Survive? UGA is blasting Tech today

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The Backyard Brawl should’ve been this weekend.

Rivalry weekend had an exciting story with the NC State-UNC game. Ole Miss and Washington State picked up big wins over their rivals. I also will say I missed watching the old Colorado-Nebraska game too. Not the same without it.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
A minus 35 would be a hard game to watch much. Up until the blow out (if there is a blow out) would be ok but this is the part of college football that is hard to watch unless as in MTC's case you are an Alum or enjoy blow out games.

SteelBuckeye should have a good game for the ost part.

As usual Tape this is a great write up, thanks.

Salute the nation

MeanJim

Forefather
Reaction score
I enjoy blowout games! Ohio St - Michigan St was one of my favorites in recent memory! The second half was pretty boring, of course, when it became clear we weren't going to hang a hundred on them. I'm hoping for another one of those today.

If I wanna see a good game, I'll watch teams I don't care about. Alabama - Georgia should be fun. So should UC - UH.

Reactions: MTC

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
I really hope Michigan gets it done today, but there is really no reason to think they will until they do. As tape said, they'll probably need to play a perfect game, and I think they need to get Donovan Edwards on the field a lot.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I enjoy blowout games! Ohio St - Michigan St was one of my favorites in recent memory! The second half was pretty boring, of course, when it became clear we weren't going to hang a hundred on them. I'm hoping for another one of those today.

If I wanna see a good game, I'll watch teams I don't care about. Alabama - Georgia should be fun. So should UC - UH.
I enjoy blowout games against rivals

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
A minus 35 would be a hard game to watch much. Up until the blow out (if there is a blow out) would be ok but this is the part of college football that is hard to watch unless as in MTC's case you are an Alum or enjoy blow out games.

SteelBuckeye should have a good game for the ost part.

As usual Tape this is a great write up, thanks.

Salute the nation
I hope UGA puts up 3 digits on the scoreboard today.

Hines Ward > Presley Harvin

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
So far, so good for Michigan. Marched right down the field on OSU.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
ttun comes out firing on all cylinders on offense. Wonder if it's sustainable. If so, it will be a good game.

MeanJim

Forefather
Reaction score
Strange ruling on that fair catch? Why did they stop the play?

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure who McNamara was trying to throw that to, but it didn't look like it had any chance even if there had been zero coverage.

steelville

Reaction score
IMHO OSU and Michigan both have O-lines better than the Steelers…

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
Huge missed opportunity for Michigan. Those are the plays you have to make to win.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Ohio State by at least 13. Ga. is playing the sisters of the poor and will roll. Franklin, with his new big contract, will lose on the road.

MB47

Reaction score
NC State beats the Holes . Came back from 9 down with 2 minutes and 12 seconds in game .

Last edited:

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering how PSU was favored. On the road against a ranked team with Franklin as head coach? That's a loss 9 times out of 10. Maybe they eke out a win with half the MSU team out of action but I wouldn't count on it.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering how PSU was favored. On the road against a ranked team with Franklin as head coach? That's a loss 9 times out of 10. Maybe they eke out a win with half the MSU team out of action but I wouldn't count on it.
I don't have sympathy for Sparty missing players. Penn State was missing 35 players last week and won with a freshman QB. You play the guys you have.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I'm pretty shocked at the OSU game. I thought OSU would roll. I think Georgia is the only lock in the playoffs right now. The winner of the OSU UM game certainly has an inside track, but i could certainly see UM losing the champ game if they hold on

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Did not see Michigan winning, but they have some road graders and a good run game (something PSU knows nothing about)