• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

New Mock Draft: Pitt to Pittsburgh?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
If their first 2 picks are not OL, who they have under center will be irrelevant. Canada is the biggest issue with the offense, and OL is a close second.
I don't think Canada has done a great job this year, but look at what he has to work with. A bottom 5 QB who can't move around the pocket. A bottom 5 OL who struggles in pass protection and flat out can't run block. A lack of a WR who can consistent stretch the field. The offense was setup for failure during the offseason the instant they decided to go cheap with upgrading the offensive line. They got what they paid for.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think Canada has done a great job this year, but look at what he has to work with. A bottom 5 QB who can't move around the pocket. A bottom 5 OL who struggles in pass protection and flat out can't run block. A lack of a WR who can consistent stretch the field. The offense was setup for failure during the offseason the instant they decided to go cheap with upgrading the offensive line. They got what they paid for.
I guarantee you that I know HS coaches that could come up with a better play book and make better play calls given the talent that he has to work with than what Canada has done. If he is not capable of designing an offense with the players he has than he should NEVER be an OC in the NFL. If he is trying to run a system that doesn't work with the players he has, then Tomlin is a dumb *** for not replacing him.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I guarantee you that I know HS coaches that could come up with a better play book and make better play calls given the talent that he has to work with than what Canada has done. If he is not capable of designing an offense with the players he has than he should NEVER be an OC in the NFL. If he is trying to run a system that doesn't work with the players he has, then Tomlin is a dumb *** for not replacing him.
He is running a system for the players that he has. That is why they get rid of the ball so quick on passing downs. There are plays the defense doesn't even have to worry about because the Steelers personnel doesn't allow them to run them. It's been the same thing for three straight years now.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He is running a system for the players that he has. That is why they get rid of the ball so quick on passing downs. There are plays the defense doesn't even have to worry about because the Steelers personnel doesn't allow them to run them. It's been the same thing for three straight years now.
So the fact that we have no commitment to incorporating the TE into the passing game, or a passing game that incorporates the middle half of the field is based on personnel?

SteveA

Reaction score
Ben is not the problem on this team. Hopefully he comes back next year
Sure let’s watch a man move in slow motion while the rest of the league has mobile, young QBs

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Sure let’s watch a man move in slow motion while the rest of the league has mobile, young QBs

I love Ben as much as the next fan, but anyone who can't see his diminishing skills on the field is kidding themselves. It's time, Ben. You had a great run, a stellar career, you'll be beloved in the Burgh until the end of time. But it *is* time.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
History has shown that you can win with a qb past his prime given the right surrounding cast. the have the right idea, surround him with a great rb and killer defense. theynjust dont have the coaches to get us back to the promised land

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Half of the top 10 QB's in the NFL are not young or mobile. I will take a pocket passer over a mobile QB every day of the week.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Half of the top 10 QB's in the NFL are not young or mobile. I will take a pocket passer over a mobile QB every day of the week.
I think someone like Josh Allen is the perfect prototype QB to look for. He's a pocket passer, but is mobile. Burrow and Herbert fit that make-up, too. To get someone like that, you have to draft in the top 10.

Last edited:

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Is this the summer we're set to have a significant amount of cap space? Also, we can presume Ben comes off the books with retirement. We could be a major player in FA this year, something that's been non-existent for us. Which is great news, as the draft won't be nearly enough to replenish the holes on this squad.
I think we have 50 million in space, but fitz will eat up some of that

10 million may roll over to next year… im not sure if that cap space was counted or not… so we might have 60 million

But like 1/3 of the team needs resigned too… so its not like we can go out and spend huge

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I think we have 50 million in space, but fitz will eat up some of that

10 million may roll over to next year… im not sure if that cap space was counted or not… so we might have 60 million

But like 1/3 of the team needs resigned too… so its not like we can go out and spend huge

We can plan huge. Fix the OL first. Go Qb in round two or get Aaron Rodgers in free agency. An of course gets Tomlin. It going to be a three year plan before we are good again.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
We can plan huge. Fix the OL first. Go Qb in round two or get Aaron Rodgers in free agency. An of course gets Tomlin. It going to be a three year plan before we are good again.
Rodgers isn't a free agent next year and with how he's playing this year I fully expect the Packers to cave in.

Agree on fixing the OL first. That process should've been the priority last offseason. Rather than go out and get premium options, they went the discount route and it failed.

SteveA

Reaction score
What games are you guys watching??? Ben is so one dimensional, & that one dimension doesn't work....Ben is absolutely done and has been for quite sometime.

The National Media knows it, & we see it every week...

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This team needs DL (specifically NT) as much, if not more than it needs OL but those are the 2 top needs that I would address in the 1st 2 rounds of the draft. I would be surprised if they pick a QB. It will be Rudolph, Haskins, or another FA QB not named Rodgers or Wilson. They will then wait a year or two to hopefully get a top QB in the draft - assuming they end up with a top pick. They can also address ILB and the secondary through FA. This team will have a lot of holes to fill this coming year. The only way they can fill them is through the draft and by not using what's left of their cap space (after signing Minkah and probably Johnson) on Rodgers or Wilson.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
1 not Davis Georgia
2 qb Pickett Pitt
3 cb/rt

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
If either wolverine ot declares we should draft as that whole ol is smash mouth doenhill wear you down hill get any ol from the unit if they are in the draft .