• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's............@ Cleveland....Week 3.....

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I see people calling for a No Huddle offense....I don't think that's an option for any offense when you can't sustain drives with first downs...your just giving the ball back to your opponent that much quicker.

Sigh ... this argument again.

The no-huddle simply forces the defense to remain with the players they had on the field on the first play, allowing the offense to exploit what the defense is not set up to stop. Defense is a standard 4-3-4 with safety in the box and single-high? CB's are going to give the WR's 8 yard completions all day. Defense is 3-3-5? Run the ball.

In the no-huddle run two weeks in a row before the 4th quarter, the offense moved the ball down the field easily and scored TD's both times. The offense was in 2nd and 3 or 3rd and 2 in both drives. The offense kept the ball on two long drives. Doing so, the offense kept the defense off the field.

Know what results in "giving the ball back to your opponent that much quicker"? NOT GETTING FIRST DOWNS. In the no-huddle, the offense lines up quickly and the QB sets the formation, takes a look at the defense. Motion takes place, and Muth switches sides. Najee moves over to handle the pass rush. The snap clock ticks down to 5 seconds and Trubisky gets the snap. And the play gets yardage because the defense cannot substitute and Steelers take advantage.

Know what happens in the huddle offense? The offense gathers together in a circle 7 yards from the LOS. Defense subs personnel depending on situation. Offense breaks huddle, get to LOS. Motion takes place, and Muth switches sides. Najee moves over to handle the pass rush. The snap clock ticks down to 5 seconds and Trubisky gets the snap. And the play gets no yardage because the defense has substituted to stuff the Steelers' limited playbook.

The difference in the clock is where the offense stands before lining up - in a huddle or at the line of scrimmage. That's it.

xjx

Reaction score
Many participants on this board were predicting 9 wins or more for this team. I predicted 7 wins. That looks like a stretch.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
FU-to the run D

As I fully expected the liability that is our run D showed it could not stop Chunt.
Had a feeling going in that with an offense that can’t put up more than 17 the Stains would pound us with Chunt and they certainly did.

FU- To the entire coaching staff
Playing in our fears, poor situational football and just fielding a team that once again looked utterly unprepared for the challenge. This team is definitely in the image of its HC-soft

Gameball- Cam

Dude just balls out despite many around him not. It’s a shame a talent like him won’t get to hoist a Lombardi. Takes on 1,2,3 dudes and still out there making plays and never gives uo…a true throwback Steeler that understands what the actual
Standard is.

Chicoman

Reaction score
Sigh ... this argument again.

The no-huddle simply forces the defense to remain with the players they had on the field on the first play, allowing the offense to exploit what the defense is not set up to stop. Defense is a standard 4-3-4 with safety in the box and single-high? CB's are going to give the WR's 8 yard completions all day. Defense is 3-3-5? Run the ball.

In the no-huddle run two weeks in a row before the 4th quarter, the offense moved the ball down the field easily and scored TD's both times. The offense was in 2nd and 3 or 3rd and 2 in both drives. The offense kept the ball on two long drives. Doing so, the offense kept the defense off the field.

Know what results in "giving the ball back to your opponent that much quicker"? NOT GETTING FIRST DOWNS. In the no-huddle, the offense lines up quickly and the QB sets the formation, takes a look at the defense. Motion takes place, and Muth switches sides. Najee moves over to handle the pass rush. The snap clock ticks down to 5 seconds and Trubisky gets the snap. And the play gets yardage because the defense cannot substitute and Steelers take advantage.

Know what happens in the huddle offense? The offense gathers together in a circle 7 yards from the LOS. Defense subs personnel depending on situation. Offense breaks huddle, get to LOS. Motion takes place, and Muth switches sides. Najee moves over to handle the pass rush. The snap clock ticks down to 5 seconds and Trubisky gets the snap. And the play gets no yardage because the defense has substituted to stuff the Steelers' limited playbook.

The difference in the clock is where the offense stands before lining up - in a huddle or at the line of scrimmage. That's it.
Steelers offense is 3 & Out on 32% of their offensive drives with the average Steeler drive covering 23 yards. I know what the No Huddle creates but when your offense is basically using 1/3 of the field in front of them to move the football it's a recipe for disaster! They are making it easy for a Defense to defend them. Honestly I'm suprised the Steelers even scored last night! I see complete *** kickings in our future the next 5 games without using 2/3's of the field in front of them to move the football. They may not even score against Buffalo, Tampa Bay or Philadelphia and I'm serious!

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Steelers offense is 3 & Out on 32% of their offensive drives with the average Steeler drive covering 23 yards. I know what the No Huddle creates but when your offense is basically using 1/3 of the field in front of them to move the football it's a recipe for disaster! They are making it easy for a Defense to defend them. Honestly I'm suprised the Steelers even scored last night! I see complete *** kickings in our future the next 5 games without using 2/3's of the field in front of them to move the football. They may not even score against Buffalo, Tampa Bay or Philadelphia and I'm serious!

How did the no-huddle work 3rd quarter vs. Pats**** and 2nd quarter vs. Clowns?

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
In no particular order:

Sick of DJ dropping passes.

Sick of Mitch overthrowing balls toward the sideline by 10 yards.

Sick of Najee up the middle on first down for 1 yard. Especially with 9 minutes left in the game and down by two scores.

Sick of 3-and-outs.

Sick of Chris Wormley.

Sick of not throwing over the middle of the field until it's too late.

Sick of Derek Watt counting $4.7 million against the cap and doing next to nothing.

Sick of stupid penalties by offensive lineman.

Sick of Mike Tomlin's bullshit rhetoric.

Ready to see what Pickett can do, despite all of the other problems with this team.
You forgot:
Sick of Bush sitting and waiting to get trucked by the RB

Sick of the notion that the OL/DL didn't need top of the draft attention while watching last years R1 pick run up the middle on 1st downs, last years R2 not get targeted until after the 57 minute mark, this year's R1 ride pine and this year's R2 finally get some balls his way, just poorly delivered.

Last edited:

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t ever recall a Matt Canada offense that didn’t use a fullback or hback… im 99% certain that is a trend that has been a staple of Mike Tomlin’s era though… we cut the true fullbacks after 07 and pretty much limped through with Tes types playing hback on the rare occasion we needed them.. David Johnson definitely wasn’t there for his blocking
Whiff!

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
How did the no-huddle work 3rd quarter vs. Pats**** and 2nd quarter vs. Clowns?
This season, most of the very few TDs scored by the Steeler O have come from no-huddle/hurry up, while the standard on other drives has been substandard.
Which is similar to last year, and the past few years. That means game planning is not taking into account what is working. Different OCs, different QBs, different OL.
Same dumbass gameplan.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
This season, most of the very few TDs scored by the Steeler O have come from no-huddle/hurry up, while the standard on other drives has been substandard.
Which is similar to last year, and the past few years. That means game planning is not taking into account what is working. Different OCs, different QBs, different OL.
Same dumbass gameplan.
Meh, that could probably be said most years since Tomlin took over…

I think whatever input his coaching staff has in offensive playcalling, its too conservative in challenging coverage outside of the arians years when we just played balls to the walls till we were in the red zone, then played scared football

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Can't you read? Every problem on offense is Mitch Trubisky, and if Steelers fans hope really hard, we can force the Steelers to play Kenny Pickett.
Ya, but you'll be the one with egg on his face when it works. :LOL:

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Ya, but you'll be the one with egg on his face when it works. :LOL:
I never said it wouldn’t work. My point was we can wish for Pickett in one hand and **** in the other. Which hand do you suppose will get full first?

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin trying to play not to lose when up by 1 at the beginning of the 2nd half. He should’ve kept his foot down on the accelerator-
Also Dionte needs to catch those passes to keep drives going.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
I never said it wouldn’t work. My point was we can wish for Pickett in one hand and **** in the other. Which hand do you suppose will get full first?
I don't think the QB is the issue, so as long as the game plan remains the same it doesn't matter which hand they choose.
And just to be clear, the comment was made in jest, wishing and hoping never results in change.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin trying to play not to lose when up by 1 at the beginning of the 2nd half. He should’ve kept his foot down on the accelerator-
Also Dionte needs to catch those passes to keep drives going.
While we don't live in our fears, that's not the standard, obviously.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We are now 0-6 without number 90 in the lineup.

He is arguably the most important Steelers player ever.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
In no particular order:

Sick of DJ dropping passes.

Sick of Mitch overthrowing balls toward the sideline by 10 yards.

Sick of Najee up the middle on first down for 1 yard. Especially with 9 minutes left in the game and down by two scores.

Sick of 3-and-outs.

Sick of Chris Wormley.

Sick of not throwing over the middle of the field until it's too late.

Sick of Derek Watt counting $4.7 million against the cap and doing next to nothing.

Sick of stupid penalties by offensive lineman.

Sick of Mike Tomlin's bullshit rhetoric.

Ready to see what Pickett can do, despite all of the other problems with this team.
Definitely agree but you forgot "sick of Canaduh". DJ was back to his old drop problems last night. He had one that was an easy uncontested catch. He had another where there was a guy there in coverage but he should have come down with it. And, there may have been a 3rd one as well.

carbonsteel

Reaction score
Week 1 against Cincy we call timeout on the last play of regulation with the Bengals trying to score a TD.
After the timeout, we line up Witherspoon 1 on 1 against Ja'marr Chase --- everyone KNOWS Burrow will be looking to throw him the ball.
Why did we line-up Witherspoon 1 on 1 with little/no help on this pivotal play ?

Fast forward to Wk 3 and Witherspoon spends much of the game dedicated to covering Amari Cooper.

Is Witherspoon our best CB ?
Why do we keep putting him on an island covering the other team's #1 receivers with little help?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Week 1 against Cincy we call timeout on the last play of regulation with the Bengals trying to score a TD.
After the timeout, we line up Witherspoon 1 on 1 against Ja'marr Chase --- everyone KNOWS Burrow will be looking to throw him the ball.
Why did we line-up Witherspoon 1 on 1 with little/no help on this pivotal play ?

Fast forward to Wk 3 and Witherspoon spends much of the game dedicated to covering Amari Cooper.

Is Witherspoon our best CB ?
Why do we keep putting him on an island covering the other team's #1 receivers with little help?
I guess they see him as a number 1 corner, but yeah give the man some help in critical situations and when he shows he needs it.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Why would I wish for **** in the other hand?
I know you're trying to be clever here, but I never said wish for **** in one hand.

The saying goes "Wish in one hand, **** in the other and see which gets full first."

I'm guessing you probably knew that.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Wasn't it Daniels that frog splashed Walker and not Chuks? If Chuks isn't downfield on the Warren catch and run and DJ doesn't drop the third down pass, the offense would have had a decent second half as well. Can't blame Trubisky for this one, the defense couldn't get off the field, showed little pressure.

Offense seems to move with Warren as the back, too bad he seems to fumble a bit.