• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Dulac by way of 93.7 The Fan Tomlin Extension Coming

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
Not luck, good GM and coaching. Hopefully our new GM's make the moves enough to get this team playoff competitive again.
Howie?! I’d call it luck. He was a hair to being out the door with Peterson. Fans wanted him drug through the streets. But like us the owner …nahhhh.

livingthrudying

Reaction score
Given the Steelers sign extensions with head coaches when there are two years left, this is expected. However, my question is at what point does Tomlin reach without winning a playoff game before he's actually on the hot seat? The Steelers have to raise the bar eventually and it's already been too long without a playoff win.
I think we as fans have to accept that Art deuce is not his father or grand father. I could be wrong but I just don't think the man personally cares about the team the same way they did. I hope i am dead wrong but I don't see the same passion in him for the team and the game. I think its a business he inherited and looks at it as more of a bottom line type view point. If that is the case it may not change much even when Tomlin does leave.

steelhurt

Reaction score
I think we as fans have to accept that Art deuce is not his father or grand father. I could be wrong but I just don't think the man personally cares about the team the same way they did. I hope i am dead wrong but I don't see the same passion in him for the team and the game. I think its a business he inherited and looks at it as more of a bottom line type view point. If that is the case it may not change much even when Tomlin does leave.
Geez! I swear you must have read my mind. I was thinking this exact thing today.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
Given the Steelers sign extensions with head coaches when there are two years left, this is expected. However, my question is at what point does Tomlin reach without winning a playoff game before he's actually on the hot seat? The Steelers have to raise the bar eventually and it's already been too long without a playoff win.
Did they fire Chaz in the 80's? He isn't getting fired. He will leave when he wants to not before even if he has a losing season.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes he is and that is why Tomlin isn't getting fired anymore than Noll or Cowher did when they actually had losing seasons and a lost Decade in the 80's.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess that isn't expected. Just winning seasons.

Skott

Contributor
Reaction score
I keep reading never had a losing season bullshit….yeah that’s great for Tomlin…but since when is a 50/50 season acceptable? This team used to compete for the division and AFC championship every year…and then Tomlin came in on his we need a “special” coach and this team has not done anything for the last 10 years.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I keep reading never had a losing season bullshit….yeah that’s great for Tomlin…but since when is a 50/50 season acceptable? This team used to compete for the division and AFC championship every year…and then Tomlin came in on his we need a “special” coach and this team has not done anything for the last 10 years.
That is on Rooney he is signing off on it.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Did they fire Chaz in the 80's? He isn't getting fired. He will leave when he wants to not before even if he has a losing season.

Chaz won 4 Superbowls and basically built the greatest dynasty in NFL history. They drafted last 4 times during that period and close to last in several other seasons.

I'd call him the grand architect of the standard. You could tell he was getting burned out at the end. They did have some good drafts and Cowher hit the ground running with a fiery passion.

I'm not sure what the hell the Steelers are building towards now.

They tried "The Greatest Show On Turf" approach with Ben,Brown and Bell. It didn't work out.

I don't own the team, so I'll just have to hope they catch lightning in a bottle in spite of the staff coaching the team.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Something else troubles me.
We had Ben in his prime surrounded by AB, Martavis Bryant, Lev Bell, Heath Miller, and many more and the best we could do is win three playoff games from 2011 thru 2021.
Don't forget two of those three wins were against backup QB's.

Why is Art so tied to Tomlin?
The Rooneys will never fire their first Rooney Rule hire.
He would have to go winless for three straight seasons for them to not extend his contract. He will never be fired. Ever.
Our best hope is for a TV network to offer him too much money to turn down.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Which odds are better?

The Steelers winning a Super Bowl with Mike Tomlin as the Head Coach during the next 4 seasons...
or...
The Steelers winning a Super Bowl without Mike Tomlin as the Head Coach the next 4 seasons?

I would bet the former.
Neither is going to happen in the next four seasons.
I got $100 that says the Steelers never get to another Super Bowl with Tomlin as head coach. Not necessarily win it, just get there. Will not happen.
Never. There is no hot seat and never will be.

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
Something else troubles me.
We had Ben in his prime surrounded by AB, Martavis Bryant, Lev Bell, Heath Miller, and many more and the best we could do is win three playoff games from 2011 thru 2021.
I’m convinced that Tomlin does not last
this long with 31 other teams with those results.
The Eagles moved on from Andy Reid who had a SB appearance and Doug Pederson who actually one a SB as recent as 2017.
Why is Art so tied to Tomlin? So he moves on to another team. So what!
The organization needs a breath of new life and I don’t care that the players love him. Again, so what!
Art I suppose just does not have lofty expectations like us fans.
9-8 is good enough it appears!
But...but...but...who is better out there? Those 31 teams never found anyone with no losing seasons did they? And last but not least: " Have you seen the emperors new clothes? They are beautiful, beyond comprehension according to some......"

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
Never. When they hired him because of their P.C. rule they painted themselves into a corner....he will walk away when he feels like it. And for that Art 2 doesn't get all the blame, Dan is just as much to blame. May he R.I.P. but this hiring was one terrible decision. Hiring him, then to continue this idea of stability and mediocrity at the cost of excellence. Pathetic.

That's what you get with a cartel, and that is what the NFL is. In any other large business scenario where Art 2 was the CEO he would have been out on his a** along with Tomlin years ago.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

steelreeling

Reaction score
Which odds are better?

The Steelers winning a Super Bowl with Mike Tomlin as the Head Coach during the next 4 seasons...
or...
The Steelers winning a Super Bowl without Mike Tomlin as the Head Coach the next 4 seasons?

I would bet the former.

i think this has an inordinately high chance of being academic if Pickett retires from concussions next year.

Panicy chicken is no way to run an offense and so, i would say that OC matters a whole lot more the next 4 years.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Well I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the Steelers stacking wins at the end of the season. I'm a fan, after all. But in the back recesses of my mind, I knew that finishing 9-8 would likely result in the by-product of a Tomlin contract extension.

And here it comes. *sigh*

xjx

Reaction score
I wanted his contact to expire. More 8 win seasons ahead. Yippee.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Our only hope is that the new FO can litter the entire team with even better players than a HOF QB, one of the best statistical backs and receivers (we obviously need 2-3 of those receivers this time to make it work) and we may need a HOF TE as obviously the “weapons” that make his scheme work just weren’t good enough the last decade.

So as long as we have say the future 🐐 QB paired with 4 pro bowl offensive weapons and a solid oLine Mikey might just get that elusive 2nd playoff win in a season:..that’s a might tho, just as good a chance of an embarrassing first round exit.

The standard

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
God love the Chief but he wasn't a businessman. Beloved as he was, it wasn't until Dan took the reins fully and hired Chuck Noll that the team found success. Art II is more like his name's sake I believe. He cares for the team, but he doesn't know what's best for it.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
God love the Chief but he wasn't a businessman. Beloved as he was, it wasn't until Dan took the reins fully and hired Chuck Noll that the team found success. Art II is more like his name's sake I believe. He cares for the team, but he doesn't know what's best for it.

Art 2 is nearly like the Chief except he has a business degree. 3rd generation rich and NOT nearly as vested.

Salute the nation

Stewey

Reaction score
Which odds are better?

or...

I would bet the former.

What made you bet on the former?

Seems most want Tomlin replaced and bet the latter.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Don't forget two of those three wins were against backup QB's.

The Rooneys will never fire their first Rooney Rule hire.
He would have to go winless for three straight seasons for them to not extend his contract. He will never be fired. Ever.
Our best hope is for a TV network to offer him too much money to turn down.
They could fire their first Rooney Rule head coach, but they would have to essentially limit their field of replacement candidates to other black coaches. Anything less sets off a shitstorm the Steelers and NFL really don’t want.

Last edited:

diver

Reaction score
So the saints just got a 1 and a 2 for Sean Payton. He is heading to DEN.

Come on art.
If he is such a lousy coach, how the hell are they gonna get a 1 and a 2? Seems like arguing out of both sides of the mouth.

But I do see what you are saying, because I essentially see them as the same coach, at least results wise. So if the Steelers would do it, you would think the return would be the similar.