• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Muth - "We have no hot routes"

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
There been to one conference championship in the last 12 years and got worn out in it. Is that satisfactory to you? They haven't won a playoff game since that conference championship.
no it is not. I want to win every year. I wish Tomlin had been replaced years ago. He has not been. But I also think he did a better coaching job last tear than what people give him credit for.
we will spend this entire off season acting like we know better, would draft better, come up with better game plans etc. it is quite honestly getting old.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Bro thanks Bro. It is really a combination of things. you guys post on here the 1000 reasons Tomlin sucks. Today it is hot routes. Tomorrow it might be head size.
All Tomlin does is keep winning. Now he has a young franchise QB 3 picks in the top 50. a good to great defense. should be an exciting offseason full of optimism.
But come on here and we suck. Tomlin sucks the future sucks.
You're welcome. bro. The subject of this thread is Freiermuth coming out and saying that the Steelers didn't use hot routes. Which to me is not the most efficient way to run an NFL offense. My son's in high school, and yes, even at that level they have hot routes -- so it's disappointing and frustrating for some of us to hear that the professional team we root for doesn't. Pickett is 24 years old, and had nearly 1700 passing attempts at Pitt, but they won't let him handle something that a kid in 10th grade does?

And I didn't even bring up Tomlin...you did.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
You're welcome. bro. The subject of this thread is Freiermuth coming out and saying that the Steelers didn't use hot routes. Which to me is not the most efficient way to run an NFL offense. My son's in high school, and yes, even at that level they have hot routes -- so it's disappointing and frustrating for some of us to hear that the professional team we root for doesn't. Pickett is 24 years old, and had nearly 1700 passing attempts at Pitt, but they won't let him handle something that a kid in 10th grade does?

And I didn't even bring up Tomlin...you did.
so "they" does not include Tomlin. ok.

so high school teams have hot routes and the Steelers did not in 2022. yet somehow won 9 games. that is some insane coaching.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
so "they" does not include Tomlin. ok.
But you quoted my post specifically. For what reason? There were others which mentioned Tomlin by name. All I said was that "they" had a lot of cold routes, poking a bit of fun at Canada. But here you are, bringing up Tomlin again. Mysterious.
so high school teams have hot routes and the Steelers did not in 2022. yet somehow won 9 games. that is some insane coaching.
Yes, I witnessed it myself. 15 year old sophomores, both quarterback and receiver (my son). Amazing, isn't it?

And the Steelers also finished 26th in the NFL in points scored, in a season where no team outside of the top 20 in scoring (besides Tampa Bay, who finished with a losing record) made the playoffs. Not insane coaching. Bad coaching. Sorry if this somehow offends your hard-on for Mike Tomlin.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
no it is not. I want to win every year. I wish Tomlin had been replaced years ago. He has not been. But I also think he did a better coaching job last tear than what people give him credit for.
we will spend this entire off season acting like we know better, would draft better, come up with better game plans etc. it is quite honestly getting old.
You know what else is getting old. The last ten years of the Marvin Lewis 2.0 bullshit on this team where it seems like virtually everyone can see the short coming and that they will never win another championship with this guy and they keep resigning him for God only knows what reason. You are right BLITZ he did a pretty good job bringing them back from a 2-6 season. There was no way they were going to fire him. It was similar to his Ben hurt season. He is good at circling the wagon. But can they at least wait one year and see if they improve? Because he is the opposite with good teams. They underperform. The Canada move is as ridiculous as the WJ2 signing. The only difference is that it will be way more damaging to next season. Signing Tomlin through '26 is so ****** stupid its painful.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Tomlin is very good at simplifying things to avoid negative plays and beating some ****** teams 17-14. But in today's NFL you aren't going to win big games like that. Watch the damn playoffs. Are teams winning like that?

Reactions: xjx

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Now do the same thing with playoff winning percentage.
if you care to do so please share. but Cowhers percentage in the playoffs wont be that much better than Tomlins.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin is very good at simplifying things to avoid negative plays and beating some ****** teams 17-14. But in today's NFL you aren't going to win big games like that. Watch the damn playoffs. Are teams winning like that?
100% agree. But Tomlin simplified things this year with a rookie QB. makes sense. he changed based on what his team was. some of us have been screaming for him to do just that for years. we ***** about it
With Ben in his prime, he sure as **** did not have a simple offense. Ben was heaving it down the field we ***** about it.

Tomlin cant win with this fan base. no matter what

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

When I watch the playoffs I see some great coaching, that is done even above the great players. I see offense that has rhyme and reason. I see defense that smoothly goes from man to man to zone and back. I also see defense slow and dictate the offense at times And a lot…..

A lot of the time I see the Coaching on the STEELERS being Re-active instead of PRO-active.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
100% agree. But Tomlin simplified things this year with a rookie QB. makes sense. he changed based on what his team was. some of us have been screaming for him to do just that for years. we ***** about it
With Ben in his prime, he sure as **** did not have a simple offense. Ben was heaving it down the field we ***** about it.

Tomlin cant win with this fan base. no matter what
Go on a real legit run. I mean San Fran went to the NFC Championship with the last man drafted. People will shut the f'k up then. Other than that it's just a big bag of excuses that he says are the tools of the incompetent.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Now do the same thing with playoff winning percentage.

Chuck Noll::::::::::::: 193-148-.566::::::::::::::::::::16-8-.667

Bill Cowher:::::::::::: 161-99-1-.619:::::::::::::::::: 12-9-.571

Mike Tomlin::::::::::: 163-93-2-.636:::::::::::::::::: 8-9-.471

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
It's Noll , Cowher, Tomlin. Tomlin would need to win another SB to pass Cowher. If you don't see that in the total picture, not really sure what to say.

diver

Reaction score
You are correct here. My only caveat to that continues to be this offense did nothing well. Think how bad they were early in the year. They had to try to do something with competence. You strive to be multi-dimensional, but you have to do something good first. I am still unsure how good they are running the ball, but at least they achieved some competence. That had to be first.

diver

Reaction score
I wish there was an accurate poll on Tomlin for a large portion of Steelers Nation. Bet its split right down the middle.
I think most want him gone, including me. But the minute you point out certain arguments against Tomlin might be stupid, well, shiit, you are a Tomlin lover.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I think most want him gone, including me. But the minute you point out certain arguments against Tomlin might be stupid, well, shiit, you are a Tomlin lover.
I try to see positives. I think he more or less runs a good ship and is a good leader of men. If surrounded by right coordinators and position leaders he could still win at highest levels, but when they retain Canada its tough to picture that.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I try to see positives. I think he more or less runs a good ship and is a good leader of men. If surrounded by right coordinators and position leaders he could still win at highest levels, but when they retain Canada its tough to picture that.
And he let some good ones walk. Leadership has as a huge component, finding and retaining good staff. He doesn't.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
And he let some good ones walk. Leadership has as a huge component, finding and retaining good staff. He doesn't.
I think Arians needed to go or Ben was dead. He couldn't stop Munchak and Haley is about next best and was a bit of a disaster as a person. After that I can think of none.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
“we have no hot routes” - translation - > “Matt Canada is a dumb ****”

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Good point. I don't see him as aTomlin guy. He was what he got left with and got rid of when he moved from a Jr. Head Coach to Full shades. Ie when they went to two DL and Tampa Two full safety.
Dont forget Butler. Butler was the up and comer behind LeBeau. Steelers had to make him promises to keep him around and from leaving to another team.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Chuck Noll::::::::::::: 193-148-.566::::::::::::::::::::16-8-.667

Bill Cowher:::::::::::: 161-99-1-.619:::::::::::::::::: 12-9-.571

Mike Tomlin::::::::::: 163-93-2-.636:::::::::::::::::: 8-9-.471
Let me add...

Coach
Seasons as Head Coach
Seasons with a Playoff Win
% of Seasons with a Playoff Win
Chuck Noll