• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steven Nelson Wanted An Extension in Pittsburgh

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He wasn't bad, he wasn't great, he falls into that Just A Guy category meaning easily replaceable.

That's pretty good company Ron as Willy Gay had five consecutive interceptions returned for touch downs. Easily replaced yes but dang that was nice watching those touch down returns.

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
That's pretty good company Ron as Willy Gay had five consecutive interceptions returned for touch downs. Easily replaced yes but dang that was nice watching those touch down returns.

Salute the nation
I still think it's funny that we used to bag on Willie Gay, then he mysteriously became a lot better when he came back after spending a year with the Cardinals.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I agree Ike and Eastwood had a lot of great ones over the years. Gran Torino was a more modern era one that was pretty darn good as well.

Salute the nation
Gran Torino. FIFY.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
I am still really not sure what happened to Nelson this off-season, as he went from quiet contributor to malcontent to released to still unemployed.

Given the Draft and Justin Layne, I think the Steelers and Nelson are both probably well served with a 1 year deal and a group hug. Steelers get back the starting capability if they want to use him that way, Nelson finds a comfy spot, paycheck and begin his quest for a new deal when many eyes will be watching his contribution.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I am still really not sure what happened to Nelson this off-season, as he went from quiet contributor to malcontent to released to still unemployed.

Given the Draft and Justin Layne, I think the Steelers and Nelson are both probably well served with a 1 year deal and a group hug. Steelers get back the starting capability if they want to use him that way, Nelson finds a comfy spot, paycheck and begin his quest for a new deal when many eyes will be watching his contribution.

STEELERS wanted to re-work his contract with $$$cash$$$ cash up front lowering the cap hit. Nelson decided he wanted a raise durring this restructure and the STEELERS said NO. Nelson cried and next thing you know........ he was shown the door.

NOW Nelson is outside looking in and unemployed either due to his self thought value or unsaid no one will hire him. This time alone may let him reflect and decide maybe his little home in PITTSBURGH wasn't so bad. Both sides need to get talking and comunicating to see if there can be a change in outcome.

Maybe my O'l grandpappy was right by saying "a little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing".

Salute the nation

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score

Lots of cap issues around the league. Teams had to cut players they didn't want to and Nelson falls in that category. Given a normal cap year, this guy gets extended as he earned it. Not sure if they can go back and re-sign him but they did that with Vince Williams so who knows. It would be nice to have him out there opposite Haden for another year.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I'm not going to **** on his play cause I thought he was great first year, good second. BUT tough situation vs. the cap equals tough decisions. They felt the could go with a younger cheaper player in Sutton. We will see how it goes.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Based on the CBs we have had over the last several years, Nelson is pretty damn good. I personally hope he doesnt get any offers and we end up working out a deal with him.

BLITZ, it seems plenty of teams have been sniffing around Nelson... seems he'll get an offer or two elsewhere in the near future.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports free agent CB Steven Nelson has drawn interest from "14 teams," including the Texans, Bears, Eagles, Bengals, and Bills.​

Nelson was released by the Steelers on March 23 so the team could keep JuJu Smith-Schuster. Teams predictably wanted to wait until after the draft to sign free agents that deep into the offseason, and now that the draft has passed, Nelson's market is heating up in a big way. Nelson, 28, was Pro Football Focus' No. 36 cornerback last season. All the teams listed above could use the help on the back end of their secondary.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
BLITZ, it seems plenty of teams have been sniffing around Nelson... seems he'll get an offer or two elsewhere in the near future.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports free agent CB Steven Nelson has drawn interest from "14 teams," including the Texans, Bears, Eagles, Bengals, and Bills.​

Nelson was released by the Steelers on March 23 so the team could keep JuJu Smith-Schuster. Teams predictably wanted to wait until after the draft to sign free agents that deep into the offseason, and now that the draft has passed, Nelson's market is heating up in a big way. Nelson, 28, was Pro Football Focus' No. 36 cornerback last season. All the teams listed above could use the help on the back end of their secondary.
Yeah I read that article and thought of this thread. I still cant believe how fast it got bad with this guy. He was a starting corner in a league that needs all the capable corners that teams can find.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, 14 teams were interested and ZERO of them wanted to sign you before the draft, even though you were cut and it would have had ZERO affect on draft compensation. Sure teams may have been interested and reached out in the past, but now I don't see anyone clamoring to grab the guy.

And write it down now. He will get less than he would have made in Pit this year.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, 14 teams were interested and ZERO of them wanted to sign you before the draft, even though you were cut and it would have had ZERO affect on draft compensation. Sure teams may have been interested and reached out in the past, but now I don't see anyone clamoring to grab the guy.

And write it down now. He will get less than he would have made in Pit this year.
james harrison all over again, jsut like Bell too

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Still no ink on the paper. Dude can have all sorts of "Interest", I'm sure that's what his agent is selling, but till his name is on the dotted line somewhere, his choice to bail was stupid. It's one thing to try and negotiate, but when you demand to be released, and sit on the shelf this long, you over-valued your services plain and simple.

Joe

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I still think Harrison may have had a semi-reasonable beef. I'm not impressed that he was sand-bagging in meetings, but if (as he tells it) he was convinced to come back for one more year, went through all that off-season work because he was told he'd be a starter and then found himself behind, what? Jarvis Jones? (I can't remember who played in front of him. Maybe it was Bud in the crap years...)

Anyway, I can see why he'd be a little pissed.

Still, he probably shouldn't have been napping during meetings. Can't really get behind that.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I still think Harrison may have had a semi-reasonable beef. I'm not impressed that he was sand-bagging in meetings, but if (as he tells it) he was convinced to come back for one more year, went through all that off-season work because he was told he'd be a starter and then found himself behind, what? Jarvis Jones? (I can't remember who played in front of him. Maybe it was Bud in the crap years...)

Anyway, I can see why he'd be a little pissed.

Still, he probably shouldn't have been napping during meetings. Can't really get behind that.
Yeah, Arthur Moats and Uncle Jarvis started ahead of Harrison. I remember Harrison saying he could set the until he was 60. Making fun at how soft our run defense was. And on top of that moats or jones couldn’t rush the QB to save their lives. He had an honest gripe. Probably didn’t go about it wrong but Tomlin and Co starting a guy because of his draft status when he’s causing you to lose games isn’t really excusable either

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, Arthur Moats and Uncle Jarvis started ahead of Harrison. I remember Harrison saying he could set the until he was 60. Making fun at how soft our run defense was. And on top of that moats or jones couldn’t rush the QB to save their lives. He had an honest gripe. Probably didn’t go about it wrong but Tomlin and Co starting a guy because of his draft status when he’s causing you to lose games isn’t really excusable either
That was a good example of some of the coaching genious we experienced with coach cool shades and PO wins along the way. Head scratchers but plenty of tomlinisms.

Salute the nation

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Just in case anyone is wondering, Stevie still hasn't signed anywhere on the dotted line, seems like maybe he thought his worth was a wee bit higher than it is. Don't choke on that humble pie, Stevie, you *****.

Joe

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
This isn't even close to being accurate. The steelers convinced Harrison to come back in 2017. The signed him BEFORE the draft. In that years draft, we happened to draft a guy named TJ Watt. The starters at OLB that year were Watt and Dupree.

Jarvis Jones wasn't even on the roster anymore, and Athur Moats started 5 whole games in 2016 because of injuries, and ZERO in 2017.

The steelers were putting their future OLB tandem on the field, had it not been for covid and the effect it had on the salary cap, they would more than likely still be our starting OLB tandem.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
This isn't even close to being accurate. The steelers convinced Harrison to come back in 2017. The signed him BEFORE the draft. In that years draft, we happened to draft a guy named TJ Watt. The starters at OLB that year were Watt and Dupree.

Jarvis Jones wasn't even on the roster anymore, and Athur Moats started 5 whole games in 2016 because of injuries, and ZERO in 2017.

The steelers were putting their future OLB tandem on the field, had it not been for covid and the effect it had on the salary cap, they would more than likely still be our starting OLB tandem.
https://Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2017/09/james-harrison-setting-edge-im-60/

Off by the player/year. He had 7 starts in 2016 while Jarvis was starting then in 2017 Chickillo got the nod over him. He has a valid gripe and I wasn’t that far off. Go suck a nut

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
https://Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2017/09/james-harrison-setting-edge-im-60/

Off by the player/year. He had 7 starts in 2016 while Jarvis was starting then in 2017 Chickillo got the nod over him. He has a valid gripe and I wasn’t that far off. Go suck a nut
Weren't that far off? You were WAY off. He was resigned BEFORE the draft, BEFORE Watt was drafted. Jarvis was OFF THE TEAM in 2017. I got your nut right here

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Weren't that far off? You were WAY off. He was resigned BEFORE the draft, BEFORE Watt was drafted. Jarvis was OFF THE TEAM in 2017. I got your nut right here

REAGARDLESS,............ James Harrison acted way more un-profesional than what happened to him (his perception) durring the season. Instead of pouting / sleeping / etc. why didn't he just quit and save himself / team all the fall out????? Because he is what he is and we all remeber his interviews against the STEELERS, bite the hand sort of deal. Harrison had a legitamit concern but went way wrong on how he handled it to the degree that maybe it helped determin coaching & Playing time.

Salute the nation

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
REAGARDLESS,............ James Harrison acted way more un-profesional than what happened to him (his perception) durring the season. Instead of pouting / sleeping / etc. why didn't he just quit and save himself / team all the fall out????? Because he is what he is and we all remeber his interviews against the STEELERS, bite the hand sort of deal. Harrison had a legitamit concern but went way wrong on how he handled it to the degree that maybe it helped determin coaching & Playing time.

Salute the nation
Exactly. Maybe JUST MAYBE his actions are why Chickilo started ahead of him when Watt was hurt.... Nah that couldn't be it