• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Roethlisberger Sings High Praise for Haskins

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Pittsburgh Steelers starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger seems to be impressed with the newest member of the quarterback room. Dwayne Haskins, who was a first-round pick out of the Ohio State University in 2018, has received high praise from the two-time Super Bowl champion:

“I was just telling Coach Sullivan the other day that his release and throwing motion mechanics are some of the prettiest I have ever seen,” said Roethlisberger in a Zoom meeting on Tuesday. Roethlisberger went on to say, “I joked that he could throw it through a car wash, and it wouldn’t get wet”.

Roethlisberger, who has played with and against hundreds of quarterbacks during his 17 year career, must be extremely impressed with Haskins to speak so highly of him after only working with him for a couple weeks.

Haskins, who has had an up and down professional career so far, clearly is a very talented player. Unfortunately, Haskins has had off the field issues that have questioned his commitment to professional football. After being let go by the Washington Football Team during the 2020 season, Haskins signed a one-year contract with the Steelers this offseason.

Haskins is likely to have an uphill battle as the Steelers already have Roethlisberger and Mason Rudolph pretty well solidified as the first and second players on the depth chart. Haskins had a rough start to his tenure in the NFL compiling a 3-10 record as a starter and throwing 12 touchdowns to 14 interceptions. However, if Haskins can show his commitment to excelling in the NFL, then the Steelers might have a steal on their hands based on Roethlisberger’s comments.

What are your expectations of Haskins in 2021? Do you think he will make the roster? Sound off in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I have very little expectations as far as Haskins.
They brought him in at little risk. He's QB-4 in my mind right now. That said, the only competition he has for QB-3 is Dobbs. They know what they have in Dobbs and were impressed enough with him to trade him to the Jags a couple of years ago in favor of bringing Duck Hodges back. So, I guess the QB-3 competition is kind of rigged in favor of Haskins; "IF" Haskins shows some maturity and professional growth.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Remember when Plexico had a great mentor in Hines and kept his his legs free from bullet holes while in Pittsburgh? I'm thinking Ben can be that mentor for a year or two. Once he leaves though? Bang, Zoom, right to the VIP room!

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
I would love the Steelers steal a first round QB from the scrap heap that takes over for Ben under center next season and beyond. We'll see if he learns anything this upcoming season from him and can apply his ability to it.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to see him make the team and go from there. He can sit and learn behind Ben and Rudolph for 2021 and then, who knows.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Its really worth a try. Like is there a future for Josh Dobbs after being cut, what three times? No risk.

mdk2

Reaction score
Football IQ is also needed for the QB position, a skill Haskins does not have.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Football IQ is also needed for the QB position, a skill Haskins does not have.
Haskins isn't stupid; he scored a 25 on the Wonderlic test, same as Ben. Haskins just hasn't showed the maturity and dedication it takes to successfully play the quarterback position in the NFL yet. Maybe he'll get it together at some point under Tomlin's master tutelage...I won't hold my breath.

mdk2

Reaction score
Haskins isn't stupid; he scored a 25 on the Wonderlic test, same as Ben. Haskins just hasn't showed the maturity and dedication it takes to successfully play the quarterback position in the NFL yet. Maybe he'll get it together at some point under Tomlin's master tutelage...I won't hold my breath.
I never said he was stupid. He has a low football IQ.
I don't think Fitzpatrick has a great football IQ and he's suppose to be very smart in general.
Big difference between understanding football concepts and math problems.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Well considering what transpired on the team that drafted him to be "the guy" for years to come, I won't hold my breath on a quick mental turnaround.

I'll be rooting for him and anyone else who puts on the colors to do exceptionally well.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not there on a daily basis but one must remeber this is OTAs and no pads. I think Haskins had to of had talent or he wouldn't of been drafted in the 1st round so there is that.

I always want any and all players in B & G to over achieve and succeed regardless of how we aquired them. If Haskins can cut it and make the 53 then we have a very successful signing whom we aquired at NO risk. Good luck to him and the team in that regards.

With the "Matt Canada" new offense it somewhat closes the distance of system knowledge between Rudolf and Haskins due to the newness of it.. That could be just enough crease to make a difference.

Do I think Haskins upseats Rudolf, currently NO but lets wait till mid-pre-season to get a better assessment.

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I'm not particularly confident Haskins will be a long-term answer or even a roster player beyond training camp for a few reasons. His accuracy in the NFL has been poor. 60.1% over his first two years. You need your QB at least at 65% if you expect to compete on a weekly basis. The TD:INT ratio is terrible. 12 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. Young QBs may struggle early, but you still see more TDs than INTs. Although it shouldn't be a QB stat, you can't help but notice his record. Good teams have good QBs and good QBs find ways to win. Haskins is 3-10 in his 13 starts. I get having a bad rookie year. By year two, there should be growth in terms of wins and Washington did not see that. Canada and Sullivan are going to have to work some magic to tapped into some of Haskins' potential. With that said, he was said to be a raw prospect who was probably rushed into action on a bad franchise. There is zero pressure to perform this year, yet a huge opportunity for him if things begin to click. I'll be rooting for him and hope he develops into a great QB.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Haskins shouldn't take on this year as an opportunity to start he should take it on as an opportunity to improve and stay in the league. His motivation or lack there of will be determined in training camp. Anything less than 100 percent effort will give him his walking papers.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
We are due for our gem from the scrap heap we seem to find every few years...polish of the turd and see if we can make it shine. At any rate, zero risk potential high reward and it would certainly be convenient for our gem to come at that position.

I’m not holding my breath, but if he can contribute in the future it would be a huge plus.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not particularly confident Haskins will be a long-term answer or even a roster player beyond training camp for a few reasons. His accuracy in the NFL has been poor. 60.1% over his first two years. You need your QB at least at 65% if you expect to compete on a weekly basis. The TD:INT ratio is terrible. 12 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. Young QBs may struggle early, but you still see more TDs than INTs. Although it shouldn't be a QB stat, you can't help but notice his record. Good teams have good QBs and good QBs find ways to win. Haskins is 3-10 in his 13 starts. I get having a bad rookie year. By year two, there should be growth in terms of wins and Washington did not see that. Canada and Sullivan are going to have to work some magic to tapped into some of Haskins' potential. With that said, he was said to be a raw prospect who was probably rushed into action on a bad franchise. There is zero pressure to perform this year, yet a huge opportunity for him if things begin to click. I'll be rooting for him and hope he develops into a great QB.
Washington is a dumpster fire. The only QB in the last decade with a winning record was Cousins.

JK, no QB had a winning record in Washington. HA!

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I never said he was stupid. He has a low football IQ.
I don't think Fitzpatrick has a great football IQ and he's suppose to be very smart in general.
Big difference between understanding football concepts and math problems.
I never said that you said Haskins was stupid.

Fitzpatrick's "football IQ" is exactly what has allowed him to last in the NFL as long as he has. Being intelligent enough to do math problems successfully is different from understanding football concepts, true, but it certainly doesn't hurt, especially at the quarterback position. That's why, with matching Wonderlic scores of 6(!), Frank Gore was able to become a Hall of Fame running back, while Vince Young became an afterthought.

Haskins is smart enough to play the position, he's simply been too lazy and unprofessional thus far to have any success.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Dan Marino, Jim Kelly & Terry Bradshaw all had low Wonderlic scores IIRC.

And speaking of a dumpster fire of a start to a career, look no further than Terry Bradshaw. Now before anybody freaks out, I'm not comparing this kid to the HOFer. Just that guys have turned it around. I don't know enough about him but with that kind of talent and some good people/organization around him, I'd say the potential reward far outweighs the risk. Never heard Ben speak about another QB on the team like that. He must see something special in the kid.

Now if he just applies himself. Big "if" though.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Being able to process information quickly and respond is super important to a QB, but I don't know how well the Wonderlic calculates that. It is beyond me how in this age of computers and virtual reality they couldn't create simulations for these guys to respond verbally what they would do. We are running this route concept. They show this package and make these pre snap adjustments what are you doing. Then role it and where are you throwing it based upon the post snap reads. How do they not have that. Likewise why the **** are they running 40s in shorts when they have film of how fast a guy covers 10, 20, 30, 40+ yards in equipment in a game. You know when a guy is running full out and the field is a grid. Simple. Hell they even tell you how fast the guy is running in MPH when they want to on a live broadcast.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Dan Marino, Jim Kelly & Terry Bradshaw all had low Wonderlic scores IIRC.

And speaking of a dumpster fire of a start to a career, look no further than Terry Bradshaw. Now before anybody freaks out, I'm not comparing this kid to the HOFer. Just that guys have turned it around. I don't know enough about him but with that kind of talent and some good people/organization around him, I'd say the potential reward far outweighs the risk. Never heard Ben speak about another QB on the team like that. He must see something special in the kid.

Now if he just applies himself. Big "if" though.

It also is amazing what a change of scenery can do for a career. PITTSBURGH being a VERY stable organization and have a methodical approach to things VS WFT dumpster throw in the fire.

I'm all for a surprise that could end up being pure B & G move in our favor.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Being able to process information quickly and respond is super important to a QB, but I don't know how well the Wonderlic calculates that. It is beyond me how in this age of computers and virtual reality they couldn't create simulations for these guys to respond verbally what they would do. We are running this route concept. They show this package and make these pre snap adjustments what are you doing. Then role it and where are you throwing it based upon the post snap reads. How do they not have that. Likewise why the **** are they running 40s in shorts when they have film of how fast a guy covers 10, 20, 30, 40+ yards in equipment in a game. You know when a guy is running full out and the field is a grid. Simple. Hell they even tell you how fast the guy is running in MPH when they want to on a live broadcast.

All good comments SteelerSask but I think during the interview part of the Combine they do ask questions of "play" to these guys and not just the QBs.

Salute the nation

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Not one of us 'know' what Coach Canada is going to do w/ the offense this year - none of us. That being said, Haskins has the tools and he's now in an organization that is known for its mentorship and solid tutelage.

The ball is literally in his court and the mission is 'his' - should he choose to accept it. If he does...I see him as QB2 and the heir apparent...