• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Matt Canada Says “We Are Going To Do What Ben Wants To Do”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It isn’t often you have future Hall of Fame quarterbacks needing to learn new offenses in their 18th season. However, that is what the Pittsburgh Steelers have this year with Ben Roethlisberger trying to pick up new offensive coordinator Matt Canada’s offense.

Yesterday Canada spoke to the media for the first time since being promoted from his quarterback coach position, and he made it clear the offense is going to be built around Roethlisberger’s strengths.

“I think in football, it is 11 men doing their job, the quarterback is the focal point,” Canada said from minicamp. “We are going to do what Ben wants to do and how Ben wants to do it, our job is putting every player in a position to make plays.”

There isn’t much surprise in these comments, as while Canada is expected to bring some new wrinkles to the offense, he isn’t going to be able to completely change how Roethlisberger plays the game in one offseason. However, there is still a steep learning curve that Canada mentioned for the future HOF quarterback.

“There are changes with terminology and how we are calling things which has been a challenge for Ben, but he has been great at learning it. I don’t have any concern about Ben doing anything we want him to do.”

Seeing this quote reminds me of previous veteran receivers saying that Roethlisberger would occasionally use old terminology with them in no huddle. Something like that might confuse new players, but not likely players like JuJu Smith-Schuster who have played with him for four seasons now.

Overall what Canada will bring to the offense should make it less vanilla and predictable, but like he stated, he is still doing the smart thing and making sure he is taking advantage of what his two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback does best.

Let us know what you think about Matt Canada and his approach to the offense as we see it so far!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Yeah, the morons on The Fan afternoon show were losing their minds yesterday over this.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Sadly, I see this a bit differently.
I don't think the Steelers are actually going to be tremendously competitive this year. I think too many losses and too much age will catch up to them in the bigger picture. Indeed, I wonder if this might be the season even Ben can't manage to give Tomlin his hallowed "non-losing season".

That said, when North Montana comes out and says "We're going to do what Ben wants." part of me wonders if they aren't basically lining up a swan song, let Ben get some yards and numbers so he can ride off into the sunset with something positive at the end of what I expect may be a relatively **** season.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Sadly, I see this a bit differently.
I don't think the Steelers are actually going to be tremendously competitive this year. I think too many losses and too much age will catch up to them in the bigger picture. Indeed, I wonder if this might be the season even Ben can't manage to give Tomlin his hallowed "non-losing season".

That said, when North Montana comes out and says "We're going to do what Ben wants." part of me wonders if they aren't basically lining up a swan song, let Ben get some yards and numbers so he can ride off into the sunset with something positive at the end of what I expect may be a relatively **** season.
If that were true, they would've taken the best OT on the board in round 1. Ben wants to win, this stuff of Ben running the offense is over blown. Bell led the NFL in carries his last season here, if the run game is productive we'll run more. I guarantee Ben didn't want to punt the ball vs Cleveland in the playoffs. It comes down to what Tomlin wants to do.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
By no means CANADA is saying BEN will call all plays at his whim. Matt is saying he will use BEN's strengths and utilize what Ben thinks he can do best.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions of Ben running the entire offense his way. I'd think there is a learning for both Ben and OC to sync up a little and there will be "gaffs" along the way. How far Ben gets to dictate will be between Canada and Roethlisberger and disputes handled by Tomlin. the less Tomlin is active in Offensive play calling the better. I see Matt & Ben doing pretty well along with the rest of the offensive weapons. The main thing that can hold this team back will be depth. Diversity in the offense even if to a small degree will be heads and heals better than last years scheme.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
By no means CANADA is saying BEN will call all plays at his whim. Matt is saying he will use BEN's strengths and utilize what Ben thinks he can do best.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions of Ben running the entire offense his way. I'd think there is a learning for both Ben and OC to sync up a little and there will be "gaffs" along the way. How far Ben gets to dictate will be between Canada and Roethlisberger and disputes handled by Tomlin. the less Tomlin is active in Offensive play calling the better. I see Matt & Ben doing pretty well along with the rest of the offensive weapons. The main thing that can hold this team back will be depth. Diversity in the offense even if to a small degree will be heads and heals better than last years scheme.

Salute the nation
This is the way I read this. Any coach worth his salt does not build his team around his scheme particularly when your center piece is a veteran. You build your scheme around the talent.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I love Ben. I honestly think he's one of the top 10 or 15 QBs all time. I just don't think the team has enough juice to do much this year. Particularly with a coach that simply can't seem to get over the hump regardless of who he has playing for him.

I just hope it's as great a season as it can be and that Ben has a monster year. I don't expect the defense to stop many teams and I don't realistically expect a rookie running back to produce much more than Conner did behind a line that has frankly probably regressed.

If I'm wrong, AWESOME! I'd love to be wrong. History predicts I will not be wrong.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
How many times last year did ones following the game say let Ben run the show let him loose. Now one comment and the sky is falling

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm happy to see Ben do all he can. I just think with the losses on the offensive and defensive side of the ball they simply won't have enough in the tank to seriously make a run at the playoffs.

And admittedly, I am one of the guys in the camp that figures even if they DO find their way into the playoffs, Mike Tomlin could **** up a wet dream.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm happy to see Ben do all he can. I just think with the losses on the offensive and defensive side of the ball they simply won't have enough in the tank to seriously make a run at the playoffs.

And admittedly, I am one of the guys in the camp that figures even if they DO find their way into the playoffs, Mike Tomlin could **** up a wet dream.
I don't share your glass half full assessment and think some of the departures will addition by subtraction due to declining play. I also think the loss of Fichtner will help positively compensate for many of the things that ail us particularly late in the season and in the playoffs.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the departures are going to be addition by subtraction as well. I also think the newest additions are going to contribute in a pretty big way, and early (JMO). My main concerns are how Ben's knees are gonna hold up and how they hold up in the secondary.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I can't tell you how much I hope you guys are right.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely question marks as well, Bleeder.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the departures are going to be addition by subtraction as well. I also think the newest additions are going to contribute in a pretty big way, and early (JMO). My main concerns are how Ben's knees are gonna hold up and how they hold up in the secondary.

Will BEN be playing in the secondary as well. I know he could play IRON MAN football but wondering if it is wise this late in his career ?

Salute the nation

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
This is the way I read this. Any coach worth his salt does not build his team around his scheme particularly when your center piece is a veteran. You build your scheme around the talent.
That is what I got out of the article. I believe Canada is finding a balance between his offensive strategy and the way Ben likes to play and not be as predictable.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
As I said in a thread awhile back. I think it's gonna go very well or very poorly. Probably not in between. Let's be real. It usually takes two years to fully actualize something like this. They are swinging for the fence with this.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
You’re not going to try and change what a HoF QB likely in his final season is comfortable with - there’s not exactly a lot of time for him to learn a completely new system.

But damn really, the main thing is that he can hand the ball off and get helped out with 120 yards on a game rushing

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
The "pardon me, I was told to do whatever Ben wanted to do" card is being played kinda early eh Canada? The season hasn't even begun and the foundation for excuses is already being poured. The sad indictment is Ben doodling plays in the grass was more effective than our last OC, so the bar is already kinda low.

No matter how much lipstick you smear over Tomlin, he's still Tomlin...a guy that gives way better press conference than in game adjustments...so unless Ben gets to start pulling the strings in terms of the real decision making (the situational stuff in games) it will be more of the same. Tomlin couldn't out coach a guy that wasn't even a HC when it mattered most...granted the whole team dropped a dookie on the field, but how much more mediocrity can we take as fans? Unless we get lucky and have a franchise QB fall from the sky to replace the future HOF QB we currently have I see the 80's peeking around the corner at us. Please Ben send us off with something to get through these next several years of more mediocrity we are staring down the barrel at.